Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-12-2011, 10:21 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default brakes moan when reversing

Hi all,
as the heading states, my 06 manual LX makes a load rubbing/moan as I slowly reverse out the driveway. Its really loud and if I gently apply the brakes it gets louder until I have about 1/4 to 1/3 pedal pressure then the noise totally dissapears until I release the brakes and it comes back again. Only seems to happen when the car is cold or hasent been driven in a while, and when going forwards at speed its not evident. Disks are dba slotted and pads are bendix CT. about 40,000kms on them and hardly worn at all. The car has done 140,000kms though. I dont think the disks are warped as they brake smoothly and we arent heavy brakers, Id say about normal in terms of heavy application. Any thought?
Cheers
Shep

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: brakes moan when reversing

Could be the hand brake mechanism holds them a bit too close to the rotor
I think its self adjusting on the rear disc pistons
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 12:45 AM   #3
dustint89
Starter Motor

I get this too on my 2005 Focus zetec. Only in reverse, it sounds like metal rubbing on metal.
dustint89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2011, 06:15 AM   #4
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wifes 2006 CL does exactly the same thing. My next door neighbour an old guy who has experience reckons its something to do with the handbrake.
Its due for a service in 4000kms and I,ll get the mechanic to fix it.

BUT meantime...................any comments or ideas welcome!
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
shepv8
V8's for ever

at first I thought it was the rear brakes but now Im thinking maybe its at the front end. kinda hard to be sure
Old 25-12-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Just as a suggestion, try jacking the car up and spinning each wheel in an anticlockwise direction, at least you should be able to work out which wheel or area the sound is coming from. Could also be slightly warped rotors as well :(
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 10:46 PM   #7
shepv8
V8's for ever

upon further investigation it also rubs without the brakes applied although not as bad eg. when the car is first started up in the morning and I back out straight it makes no noise, if however I apply any steering the rub noise starts and if I brake the noise is really loud. I will jack it up and see where its coming from
Old 28-12-2011, 09:43 AM   #8
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Check that the bearings on each wheel are not loose . Do this by seeing if there is rocking movement when the wheel is jacked up. Has been known to be front wheel hub bearings fail allowing wobble and eventually issues with the ABS brakes as the sensor looses connection or excessive brake pedal travel as the rotor wobbles pushing the pads back .
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 03:35 PM   #9
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99
Check that the bearings on each wheel are not loose . Do this by seeing if there is rocking movement when the wheel is jacked up. Has been known to be front wheel hub bearings fail allowing wobble and eventually issues with the ABS brakes as the sensor looses connection or excessive brake pedal travel as the rotor wobbles pushing the pads back .
ok will check that thanks. Are the the front bearings removable or are they a sealed hub like on the falcons etc
Old 28-06-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Mortbrad
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustint89
I get this too on my 2005 Focus zetec. Only in reverse, it sounds like metal rubbing on metal.
I've got this too, I need to get this car to a proper mechanic, formerly driven by the Speaker of the House, who prefers the "in your driveway" style mechanic who doesn't seem to be able to do ****...
Mortbrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post