Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 25-04-2006, 06:12 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default My new (LX) LS (pics)

Picked up my new LS LX Sedan on Saturday.

Titanium Grey with bodykit and tints (its a manual also)

So far I'm very impressed with it. I had to drive over 500km to get it home (I was pretty careful running it in on the (hume) highway, made sure I varied my speed often).

Can't believe how refined it is for the money. Didn't listen to much music/radio onthe trip back to Sydney, enjoyed the silence!!

Anyway, here's a few pics. Unfortunately the weather isn't that great today so the pics aren't great either.

My initial plans are to upgrade the speakers (Bostons all round, splits up front) and lower it a little (25-30mm).

(the 1st pic has some rain specks on the camera lens)

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:37 PM   #2
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Very nice, all you need now is the Zetec Alloys!
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:46 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Still undecided whether to go for the Zetec 17's or aftermarket 17's. If someone was selling the zetecs at a good price I would consider them.
Old 25-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #4
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Looks nice. Personally I would go aftermarket 17s. The zetec 17s just look too stock. Lacks abit of individuality which is what I'm guessing you would be after.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:12 PM   #5
b2tf
not here much anymore

looks nice russ, but the original will always be the best :.jk
Old 25-04-2006, 08:41 PM   #6
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go 18's, or 19's, or 20's.... lol 17's don't look big on these cars anymore
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Thats very true but rubber for 18+ rims are just really expensive.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 08:56 PM   #8
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Russ, Thats almost identical to what i wanted, but MRS said i had to drop a bit of money out of the purchase. Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertuan
Thats very true but rubber for 18+ rims are just really expensive.
Unless you go for Holden's strategy and get Korean Rubber put on there.... Any wonder they are in the midst of a population explosion!

Shop around, some places have good prices on $$$ rubber.

Or get a job with Yokohama or Bridgestone!
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
Parasite

Looks good Russ. Finally a member with Sedan + Bodykit.
Parasite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:45 PM   #10
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Hey Russ,

Congratulations! I remember the dilemma in deciding what car to get! Glad you finally got the right car! looks good, I think as mentioned your doing - it just needs to be lowered. To be honest, I like the Zetec rims, as I like cars to look as factory as can be. But that is just my opinion. Maybe XR5T rims? Now that would be expensive, and very hot!

Once again, congrats and enjoy it!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:41 PM   #11
marcosambrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parasite
Looks good Russ. Finally a member with Sedan + Bodykit.
Ive been waiting to see one for a long time, get some 18s on it!
marcosambrose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 01:40 AM   #12
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very very nice!!
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 10:07 AM   #13
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Lovely looking car mate....surprised me how much better the new Focii look...

Shop about for rubber....some budget brands like Nankang and Wanli are FINE.

They're safe, they wear well, they're quiet (well Wanli are from personal experience), they grip and they wont break your wallet.

Watch it with the Chinese stuff....whether we like it or not, and they might have some funny uninspiring names but they'll be the Bunnings of the future dragging tyre prices down, they do produce some very decent product already, just change the bloody names Chairman Mao!

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 11:08 AM   #14
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not a big fan of the nankangs, but with 225/30 r20's there's a $235 difference between them and the next cheapest which are toyos, as for 18's my brother has federals on his civic which are reasonably priced and have good wear and grip. The civic is also for sale should i post it up on here?
Old 26-04-2006, 11:08 PM   #15
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Sorry guys, not planning on changing the wheels for a few months yet. I will be going for 17's (handling + comfort). If you look at the design of the Zetec rims (as much as I like them), they look smaller than they are...they're tapered...same as with the LX 16's. Will be changing speakers + susp. first (got a quote of $550 from Pedders, including fitting, etc).
Old 26-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Hey Russ,

Congratulations! I remember the dilemma in deciding what car to get! Glad you finally got the right car! looks good, I think as mentioned your doing - it just needs to be lowered. To be honest, I like the Zetec rims, as I like cars to look as factory as can be. But that is just my opinion. Maybe XR5T rims? Now that would be expensive, and very hot!

Once again, congrats and enjoy it!
You're not wrong, XR5 18's (??) would look amazing! I think a little lowering will improve the cars looks heaps though
Old 26-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #17
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$550 is a bit pricy, we payed 230 for kings superlows all round and fitted them ourselves
Old 26-04-2006, 11:48 PM   #18
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
$550 is a bit pricy, we payed 230 for kings superlows all round and fitted them ourselves
...and I was quoted $530 (plus GST and shipping/handling) for the Eibach Suspension kit (same as factory option in UK)...but price doesn't include fitting :(
Old 27-04-2006, 02:36 PM   #19
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ИИИИe, i suggest you look at the king springs, where abouts are you from?
Old 27-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

I'm at Miranda (S/E Sydney)

Price of King Springs is pretty good, just not sure of the quality compared to the Eibach kit.
Old 27-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
BlackLS

For $230 you can't really go wrong, and say if you don't like how they handle you can always pull them out and sell them with little loss.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2006, 10:38 PM   #22
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

I think the Eibach springs won't void your warranty. But don't quote me, might just be europe.
Old 27-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #23
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
For $230 you can't really go wrong, and say if you don't like how they handle you can always pull them out and sell them with little loss.
Have you got them (King Springs) on your Focus BlackLS?? If so, is ride firmer?
Old 28-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #24
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lol i've got them in mine, yes the ride is much firmer, but i'm also rolling around on 30 profile tyres, are you going on the 28th of may euroford cruise?
Old 28-04-2006, 04:30 PM   #25
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Have you got them (King Springs) on your Focus BlackLS?? If so, is ride firmer?
No running stock LX susp.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-05-2006, 09:42 PM   #26
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
Lol i've got them in mine, yes the ride is much firmer, but i'm also rolling around on 30 profile tyres, are you going on the 28th of may euroford cruise?
But you have Superlows right?? I would get the Lows (25-30mm lower than standard), and would only go as big as 17's (yes, yes I know, 17's don't look that big on a Focus, but its the [factory] rim design I tell you!!)
Old 01-05-2006, 10:09 PM   #27
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

And yes, I will hopefully be going on the Eurocruise. Will be good to meet a few people from here
Old 02-05-2006, 12:23 AM   #28
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
And yes, I will hopefully be going on the Eurocruise. Will be good to meet a few people from here
Might come along to congratulate you on the purchase! That and the fact there are sooooo many new members since I sold my pride and joy :

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Old 03-05-2006, 11:15 PM   #29
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Might come along to congratulate you on the purchase! That and the fact there are sooooo many new members since I sold my pride and joy :
Would be great to see the Clio there!

I am looking at the King Springs atm (Lows), but haven't installed springs myself. I'm ok mechanically, is it a relatively simple job (Zetec20)?? Can't say I have alot of tools to use (have the basics), and only have a (sloped) underground carpark cement floor to use...
Old 04-05-2006, 12:05 AM   #30
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
Would be great to see the Clio there!

I am looking at the King Springs atm (Lows), but haven't installed springs myself. I'm ok mechanically, is it a relatively simple job (Zetec20)?? Can't say I have alot of tools to use (have the basics), and only have a (sloped) underground carpark cement floor to use...
Hey Russ - Yea, let's hope the Clio makes it! haha. Is spending it's first night away from home tonight out: :

Hmmmmmmm - After doing the whole spring thing before - I'm not sure I'd do it again! I'd recommend going for something expensive (and better) and getting shocks also. My Fiesta was riding VERY harsh on alot of Sydney Roads. Don't get me wrong, it handled great... but the shocks were getting worse week-by-week.

If your after cosmetics though, go ahead! I'd just recommend getting a better brand though.... Don't get cheap suspension and hence cheapen your car and risk all the $$$ Ford spent in getting the suspension right.