Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-03-2010, 12:30 AM   #31
TitaniumLT
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
I have a little black caliper paint at home to use as undercoat, just need to find some hard wearing ultra glossy black and clear coat.

Hi Guys,
I just got a Focus as well, Titanium Grey as well in fact, and was wanting to do a few things to make it stand out a bit. I really like the stock zetec 17" rims so was going to keep them.

I was thinking of adding some colour to the calipers and you guys mentioned that you can just paint them - is there any special sort of paint you need or is it better to buy some aftermarket calipers in the colour you want?

Also, some other forums mention upgrading to a cold air intake - what are the advantages of doing it and is it a big job to do yourself?

Thanks

Last edited by TitaniumLT; 11-03-2010 at 12:50 AM.
TitaniumLT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #32
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Hi, welcome to the forums and congratulations on your new purchase.

If you are going to do some modifications, using the search tool can bring up lots of good information.

HERE is some info on painting the calipers.

As for the intake you have two options:
K&N make a 57i pod filter setup, which may give slightly more power, but suffers from lack of heat shielding. It does give an excellent induction roar.

Alternatively, K&N (and some other brands) made a replacement drop-in panel filter. This will also allow for increase airflow, however, it retains the original airbox setup.

With either option, do a search on lower airbox / intake resonator removal, which will also allow you to route cold air feeds up to your new panel filter / pod filter.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 PM   #33
TitaniumLT
Starter Motor

Thanks for the info DZFford. cant wait to start playing around and changing a few things. looks like this forum could be a handy resource
Old 12-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #34
YUSLOW
Why you slow?

Cant say I'm a fan of the wheels but do like the Focus sedans in Titanium or Sea Grey.
Would love to see one fitted with Falcon Ego colour XR5 wheels.
YUSLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #35
paul&amanda
Starter Motor

I had 18's fitted when i got the car new in 06. They look great but the ride is a bit hard at times on our quality NSW roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17122006.jpg (110.6 KB, 78 views)
paul&amanda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #36
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul&amanda
I had 18's fitted when i got the car new in 06. They look great but the ride is a bit hard at times on our quality NSW roads.
That's the first time i've heard someone from NSW confirm my findings while i was up there! :P

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #37
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

What's that? That our roads are rubbish. Pfft, don't have to try too hard to get some one to tell you that.

I ran 18's on my LR originaly with 35 profile tyres and while the ride was fine, when I did find a pothole it would damage the rim. There just wasn't enough sidewall.

I went to 40's (incidentally the exact same tyre size as the XR5) and never damaged a rim again after that.
I've even collected a few swimming pool sized holes in the 5 and luckily haven't damaged one yet!

I've had the car 15 months and I haven't even got any gutter rash yet! :

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #38
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Yeah Im running 40's on my 18's also, and seems to be a decent ride with no issues with craters yet!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2010, 04:50 PM   #39
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Im goin to get some 18inch and 40 profiled tyres soon hopefully too, but i have super lows, anyone with this combo to comment on ride quality? i no it wont be good, but just wondering how bad...
Old 26-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #40
sailaway

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Offset = 48
Rims = 17 x 7
Tyres = 215/45/17 Yokohama A Drive R1's (at a VERY good price)
Thanks for that info!

Yours do look good.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #41
Tj-zetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
Im goin to get some 18inch and 40 profiled tyres soon hopefully too, but i have super lows, anyone with this combo to comment on ride quality? i no it wont be good, but just wondering how bad...
The 225/40/r18's used to scrub a little in my LR and that was standard zetec ride height! But the XR5 which is lower doesn't scrub so I'd guess that the MKII foci models are a little more accomodating.

Can't comment on ride quality though.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 26-03-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
The 225/40/r18's used to scrub a little in my LR and that was standard zetec ride height! But the XR5 which is lower doesn't scrub so I'd guess that the MKII foci models are a little more accomodating.

oh k no worries, cheers.

im positive it'll rub whilst turning sharply as it does now, but the extent is unknown. i cant wait to get them... might be a while now tho as of other financial commitments.. :(
Old 03-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #43
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

had to comment firstly that is one awesome looking focus sedan thumbs up to the owner great work!

secondly I heard mention of those "rim protectors" molded into the sidewalls yes these are a great Idea in theory but are far from impervious as my wife found out when she sidestepped the XR6 on gravel and slammed the rear into gutter it did substantial and irreparable damage to the rim and ripped the rubber bulge in sidewall of tyre to hell in the process - result new rim and new tyre (tyre that got wrecked only had about 1500kms on it) I hate to say it but had the tyre not had the bulge in it it would have flexed and been but scuffed not ripped up like it has been (it has remained inflated BTW) car is awaiting my delivery of a caster camber kit then its getting a new rear foot and four new boots those tyres can be a blessing or a curse depends on what you do and how you do it

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2010, 05:41 PM   #44
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec

XR5's don't rub because the turning circle is larger (11.7m vs 10.7m on a normal focus). Ford restricted the turning circle because of the larger rims we run. Standards focus' will rub as the wheels are allowed to turn more.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:57 AM   #45
Tj-zetec

Is that why they did that? lazy buggers.

Do you know how bad that turning circle makes me look in carparks!

Old 04-04-2010, 12:48 PM   #46
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

I'm still struggling to reverse park haha. I never get the angle right! I could nail it in one go with the Cougar. Now i take an extra adjustment haha!

Old 12-04-2010, 11:16 PM   #47
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
had to comment firstly that is one awesome looking focus sedan thumbs up to the owner great work!

secondly I heard mention of those "rim protectors" molded into the sidewalls yes these are a great Idea in theory but are far from impervious as my wife found out when she sidestepped the XR6 on gravel and slammed the rear into gutter it did substantial and irreparable damage to the rim and ripped the rubber bulge in sidewall of tyre to hell in the process - result new rim and new tyre (tyre that got wrecked only had about 1500kms on it) I hate to say it but had the tyre not had the bulge in it it would have flexed and been but scuffed not ripped up like it has been (it has remained inflated BTW) car is awaiting my delivery of a caster camber kit then its getting a new rear foot and four new boots those tyres can be a blessing or a curse depends on what you do and how you do it
I need to read my own threads more often! Thanks for the compliment. Still have to work to do on her yet though (although less obvious mods).

paul&amanda - the 18's look great, also nice to see another Silver LS, as common as they were when the LS first came out, they were mostly CL hatchbacks.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 04:48 PM   #48
T.M

Default Re: New wheels for my Focus

Well I'm aware I'm unearthing a pretty old thread here but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. Ive got an '08 tdci in titanium grey and have been looking for wheels for a while but it seems you may have saved me the trouble Russ.
Those wheels do look fantastic on that colour, and they're 'only' 17s.
I always though my stock 16s looked really small and therefore assumed I would need 18s for it to look any good.
Cheers
T.M is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #49
casabonka
You can call me Chris

Default Re: New wheels for my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.M
Well I'm aware I'm unearthing a pretty old thread here but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in anyway. Ive got an '08 tdci in titanium grey and have been looking for wheels for a while but it seems you may have saved me the trouble Russ.
Those wheels do look fantastic on that colour, and they're 'only' 17s.
I always though my stock 16s looked really small and therefore assumed I would need 18s for it to look any good.
Cheers
Whilst I love the look of my 18s, for comfort I should've stuck with 17s!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post