Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 12-02-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default First Impressions - K&N Panel Filter in LS 2.0

There has been plenty of talk on here about fitting the K&N 57i Cone Filter setup on the LS/LT/LV Duratec. Thought I would share my inital impressions with the K&N Panel Filter - I haven't tried the 57i kit so can't really compare...

Ordered mine off eBay for AU$75 to my door from the US, which I thought was pretty reasonable. Really easy to fit - used a hose clamp to replace the tamperproof seal. Only mod required is to cut off a small lug that's on the connecting tube between the airbox and the throttle body. Noticed the K&N is a lot thinner than the stock filter, which obviously explains why it flows so well. Another thing you need to do is to start the car with the airbox unconnected and the throttle body exposed! :

After driving a number of times with the new filter in place, there is definitely a little more poke down low. The intake noise (low airbox removed) is also slightly deeper. I have found it easier to drive in traffic...just seems easier to balance the revs, or maybe I'm just concentrating more??

I'd definitely recommend this mod for anyone looking to keep a stock look. I'd post pics, but nothing (new) to see here. Now I just need to reroute cold air into the airbox which may give another small gain.

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
Fredo
Nice kitty . .

Hey Russ,
Sorry I haven't answered your PM - not intentional.
Work, home, kids, sport have kept me ridiculously busy.
Glad to hear you sorted the filter out.
Fredo
PS - change your signature mate.

Late 2005 LS CL, 5spd Manual, 5 Door, Titanium Grey
To Do List:-
:- Using 95 RON Fuel (DONE -easiest upgrade of all) :- XR5 Springs (DONE) :- Lower air box removal (DONE) :- K & N Panel Air Filter (DONE)
:- 2.25" Cat Back (DONE) :- DBA Brake upgrade (DONE)
Fredo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Another great mod and I am sure it will be even better when you re-route the cold air feed into the bottom of the upper airbox.

Quote:
Another thing you need to do is to start the car with the airbox unconnected and the throttle body exposed!
Loud?!
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredo
Hey Russ,
Sorry I haven't answered your PM - not intentional.
Work, home, kids, sport have kept me ridiculously busy.
Glad to hear you sorted the filter out.
Fredo
PS - change your signature mate.
No probs Fredo, I should have had a decent look at the job before I PM'd...was pretty easy!

PS - cheers, all done.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 13-02-2010, 12:09 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
Another great mod and I am sure it will be even better when you re-route the cold air feed into the bottom of the upper airbox.

Loud?!
Just a tad louder _2:

I'm sure it would sound even better with a decent cat-back exhaust though!

Old 10-03-2010, 07:52 PM   #6
GTP287
BOSS 340

do any of you guys know the part number for either the K&N panel or the 57i kit that fits onto an LS zetec?
There seems to be 1000000 different kits avaliable.
GTP287 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:37 PM   #7
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Panel = 33-2877
Cone = 57-0595
Old 10-03-2010, 09:48 PM   #8
GTP287
BOSS 340

Cheers.
GTP287 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
casabonka
You can call me Chris

And for the love of god - please make sure you go to Supercheap first to buy a new hose for the air sensor thingy (always forget the name) if you go the pod version!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: First Impressions - K&N Panel Filter in LS 2.0

Anybody know the part nos. for K & N and/or Pipercross panel filters for the LV 2.0 L petrol? Getting very frustrated trying to find out. The ones that fit Yank cars of the right year seem to be a different shape, and the UK sites I find seem to only have up to 2007 models - not sure if there's any difference.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2011, 11:42 PM   #11
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think with the LV, Ford changed from a panel filter to a cone filter, but since I have an LS I can't confirm this for you.

http://www.european-parts.net/catalo...oducts_id=1096
Old 08-04-2011, 12:43 AM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks. I suppose the easiest way is to open it and have a look...

Old 08-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #13
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
Thanks. I suppose the easiest way is to open it and have a look...
Please do and let us know what you find!
Old 22-04-2011, 09:28 PM   #14
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I've just ordered a Pipercross filter for the LV. On special for easter at Team Torquesteer. Works out to about $73 including postage.

Old 22-04-2011, 10:14 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What did you find when you looked in the airbox in the LV? Cone or panel filter?
Old 24-04-2011, 01:26 PM   #16
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Arghh, I hadn't had a chance to look, because the car is in the panel beater getting some rear damage fixed. I got excited when I saw a discount on the Pipercross and ordered it straightaway, asking them to be sure they sent the right one for a 2010 Focus. Anyway, the Torquesteer guys said the Pipercross is a panel (even though it looked like a cone in the picture), and that I might need a cone filter, as Ford (in UK at least) changed from a panel to a cone at some unclear date in 2009/2010...

Torquesteer said they'd hold/cancel the order until I work out which is required, but of course I can't check. So if anyone has changed the filter on an LV 2L petrol recently, please let me know which is in there. If it makes a difference, mine is a December 2009 South African build.

Old 25-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #17
bseos

Done a cheap *** job on mine.
Have the K&N cone air filter connected using the stock tubing and got it sitting in the exposed airbox resonator

-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
bseos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #18
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may sound like a funny question but is your filter on backwards?

I always thought that with pod filters, the wider part connected to the intake tube, whereas the narrow part pointed away from it, if that makes sense. Correct me if I'm wrong, it may not make a difference at all...
Old 25-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #19
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus
So if anyone has changed the filter on an LV 2L petrol recently, please let me know which is in there. If it makes a difference, mine is a December 2009 South African build.
I just had a thought and checked on the Ryco website. Their LV Focus replacement air filter is a cone style filter.
Old 25-04-2011, 09:41 PM   #20
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
I just had a thought and checked on the Ryco website. Their LV Focus replacement air filter is a cone style filter.
Funny you should say that, but I got hold of a neighbour with virtually the same car today and, sure enough, it is a cone filter (or more cylindrical really). I was pretty sure it would be, given the airbox itself has a sort of curve in its outer surface to accommodate it.

Old 26-04-2011, 10:36 PM   #21
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pipercross foam cone filter now being airmailed. Martin at Team Torquesteer was good enough to charge me the same for the slightly dearer item: I think he was tired of the e-mailing back and forth to work it all out.

I recommend their customer focus.

Old 13-05-2011, 10:42 PM   #22
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, I just got the K & N cone filter. Thought I was getting a Pipercross, but I gather they don't make one suitable. Anyway, the K & N took about 5 mins to install, and I haven't had much of a chance to try it out, but... it sounds great. Not like a roaring tiger, of course, but more of a tomcat than a kitten now...

It definitely feels more responsive. I only had to twitch the ankle and the car seemed to leap forward. Tomorrow, I'll test it on my weekly run to my parents' place (35km each way, uphill one way). The normal petrol consumption figure is 7.6L/100km, so it'll be interesting to compare.

Incidentally, my (very, very inexpert) eye noticed the airbox intake appeared to be coming from the front of the bonnet, over the radiator, rather than beneath the airbox somewhere as in the LS/LT set-ups I've seen pictured on here. There was also a small square of a spongy material in the bottom of the box. Would that be for the crankcase? Probably a dumb-**** question, I suppose...

Anyway, very pleased with my investment so far, although it's only early days...

This user likes this post:
Old 14-05-2011, 07:10 PM   #23
Harrye30
Starter Motor

I've had several encounters with K&N filters in the past on my father and brothers cars and after driving them both *falcon and alfa spider* Can say that they do make a difference low down. Just my 2c (:
Harrye30 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2011, 07:54 PM   #24
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The numbers came out to 7.5km/L on the run mentioned above. The wind was a little gusty, and there were some clowns doing roadworks that slowed me down a couple of times. Early days, but it's at least comparable to what I normally get. Except the K&N sounds far better, of course...