Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 
Default Koni Sport group buy - anyone?

I've been looking at the price of Koni Sport dampers for a while now and the time has come to bite the bullet and buy a set - the Eibach springs have been installed for over 50,000km with the stock dampers.

To source these locally I have received quotes for around $1500 (plus fitting). With shipping, price comes down to AU$1000 from http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/

More info here...http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Perfor.../0/85855/28660 They have adjustable on-car rebound damping for the fronts, rears need to be adjusted when installing. Have heard everywhere, including from Koni's Aust. distributor, that you set the front and rear to the softest setting initially, so this isn't a huge problem.

Wondering if anyone would be interested in grabbing a set? Am waiting on Demon Tweeks to get back to me about a group buy, thought I would see if anyone was interested in the meantime...even if they don't offer a group buy, you just saved $500!

Otherwise, hope to have them installed (might try myself) within the next 6 weeks if I order them in the next week or so. I realise they're not a cheap buy, but thought I'd give everyone the chance to save a few $$$ if they were thinking about it.

Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

You've got me thinking...

I'm sure the Eibachs would great when coupled with the Koni shocks.

However, $1000 on shocks is a little hard for me to justify when you can get the Bilstein coilover kit (ride height adjustable) for a tad over $1000 as well.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-07-2010, 04:03 PM   #3
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord

However, $1000 on shocks is a little hard for me to justify when you can get the Bilstein coilover kit (ride height adjustable) for a tad over $1000 as well.
True, the Bilsteins would be nice, although I have read many times that unless you want the full adjustability of coilovers (and also plan to take the car on the track), good quality adjustable dampers are the way to go. Koni Sports and Eibach springs are also a very popular combination (especially in our model Focus), must have similar damping rates. Bilsteins may be better paired with Eibach's in other cars though.

I'm pretty happy with my ride height so don't see the value in adjustable height. I do see value in adjustable damping though. Plus I've already got Eibachs installed, would be a waste to ditch them (despite being able to sell them) and install coilovers.

I have thought long and hard about the damper vs coilover debate though. If I had stock suspension I would seriously consider getting decent coilovers, but once I install the Koni's (and hopefully setting the rears to full soft is best for my setup), I shouldn't have to play too much with finetuning the damping rate. At least the fronts will be easy to change.
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 07-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Good points there.

I am not sure if I am happy with my ride height though. Did you Eibach's leave the rear a little too high compared to the front? I remember a forum member removing the rear Eibach's and putting on a set of Lovell's springs. Just can't remember who...
Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Good points there.

I am not sure if I am happy with my ride height though. Did you Eibach's leave the rear a little too high compared to the front? I remember a forum member removing the rear Eibach's and putting on a set of Lovell's springs. Just can't remember who...
That member would be me With the Lovell's in the rear the height from front to rear is pretty much spot on. Don't know why the Eibach's didn't drop to the correct height, just thankful there was a solution and it wasn't that expensive.

Pretty sure there would be more springs out there too since I bought mine back in '06

Old 07-07-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So it was you! I thought it might have been but wasn't 100%.

I think Eibach just dropped it 30mm all round, which still leaves the rear higher than the front.

Off the top of your head, can you remember how much a set of Lovell's rear springs set you back?

The only other springs I've come across are from Weitec (made by KW suspension).
Old 07-07-2010, 11:38 PM   #7
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Off the top of your head, can you remember how much a set of Lovell's rear springs set you back?

my supalow lovells were only $360 for front n rear.
i thort that was pretty good price. rear is very low, i think lower than the front from memory
Old 07-07-2010, 11:49 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

It was a while ago, but I think they were Super Lows. Set of 4 around $280 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Ford-Focus-2-...item2c55519033

I remember at the time you could buy them in pairs too. And mine are blue.

Old 08-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #9
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the info guys, this is probably something i'll look into. Any rear camber issues? Any ride comfort issues on the standard shocks?
Old 08-07-2010, 02:46 PM   #10
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

The rear camber of my sedan actually looks a little aggressive, yet the rear tyre wear is no different to that of the fronts.

An old photo - not the best example of the rear camber, but you can see the rear is a little more aggressive than the front:

You can get rear camber adjustment kits from a number of places, including Pedders: http://www.pedders.com.au/catalogue Select our model and scroll down to 'Rear alignment products' - pretty sure that is the part number, and from memory they aren't too expensive. Something I need to look into getting with the new dampers.

With the Eibach's/Lovell's and stock dampers, the ride is pretty forgiving. As time has gone on though, the stock dampers have really started to show their age + effect of not being perfectly matched (damping-wise) to the springs. A new set of sport dampers all around will definitely make a huge difference to the ride quality. Over 60,000km's out of a set of stock dampers is not too bad given they're essentially being used in a way they weren't designed to. Plus I really like the fact the Koni's (and most good quality dampers) can be revalved, so you can take them with you to another car (that they fit) or sell them for decent $$$.

Old 16-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #11
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Just a quick update - ordered the Koni's the other night from Demon Tweeks. Cost me $980 with shipping, which was the best price I could find anywhere.

Imagine it will take a few weeks for them to arrive - might post some pics when they arrive + are installed.

Old 17-07-2010, 12:08 AM   #12
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Russ, thanks for the info on the rear camber / camber kits.

You are so lucky that the shocks + shipping came to <$1000. When I imported my wheels, the shipping + goods came to just over $1000 which means I had to add on customs duty, GST and customs clearance fees, which cost me an arm and a leg.
Old 18-07-2010, 10:37 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Make sure you PM the GM's regarding this Group Buy or they will shut the thread down and have a whinge!

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2010, 09:09 AM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Make sure you PM the GM's regarding this Group Buy or they will shut the thread down and have a whinge!
Even if its a thread to see if there was any interest in a group buy (and there was none)? No probs, thanks for the heads up.

Old 26-07-2010, 10:51 PM   #15
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Russ, just a few questions: how did you find the service at Demon Tweeks? Also, is their postage insured and trackable?

I may consider ordering parts from them in the future, they seem to have reasonable prices.
Old 27-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Hi Russ, just a few questions: how did you find the service at Demon Tweeks? Also, is their postage insured and trackable?

I may consider ordering parts from them in the future, they seem to have reasonable prices.
The jury is still out on their customer service. I sent two emails about a group buy and didn't receive a reply to both (may have been blocked by my spam filter, but I did add them to my safe list). When I made the order, I received the usual order confirmation msg, but no email and no orders were in the 'Current orders' section of their site. Called them and they were pretty helpful over the phone, and the order showed up on their site not long after I spoke to them. They said I would receive an email from their export team in the next few days (which I didn't) so I emailed them. Got a response back pretty quickly (saying they had changed just changed how they communicate to export customers...whatever) and that my dampers weren't in stock - at least a 2 weeks, which is fine for me. I'm not in a hurry and the price is pretty keen (and they were pretty apologetic about the wait).

Shipping - they do have tracking for international orders, and I'm 95% sure insurance is included as well, will confirm when my order is in stock.

Overall, despite the few communication issues, happy with them so far.

Old 27-07-2010, 09:38 PM   #17
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Russ, please let me know if you encounter any more problems, I'd be interested to hear.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:30 PM   #18
focuss
Starter Motor

Hey guys,
im a new member to this site and find the info you guys give is awesome,
i own a focus sedan 07 and was wondering what the cheapest option is to lower it, i dont want to go anything drastic, i just want to lose a bit of the gap between the tryes and the guard, heres a photo, hopefully iv put it on correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg focus.jpg (39.1 KB, 45 views)
focuss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 PM   #19
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Focuss, welcome to the forums.

King springs would be your best bet for an effective lowering option, that isn't too expensive. Just google their site for more details.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:56 PM   #20
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Nice wheels you have there.

Lovells are another option that aren't too expensive. Should be able to find them easily enough on day too.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
crispymk2

Quote:

Where have you seen Bilsein coilovers for just over $1k?

Ones I'm looking at are all around 1200 pounds = $2200-2400AUD
Old 12-08-2010, 08:12 PM   #22
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Bilstein B14 coilovers (height adjustable, fixed damping) are both around $1200 inc. shipping to Australia, from either European-Parts or Demon Tweeks. Just be careful with import taxes.

If you buy these, and save $1000, you owe me a beer!

Although, at this stage, it looks like I'm now leaning towards the Koni Sport suspension kit, with adjustable Koni shocks + Koni lowering springs (35mm all round).
Old 11-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #23
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Default Update

Something arrived last week...

Order took a LOT longer than expected...almost 3 months! Apparently Demon Tweeks had to order them from Koni in Holland. Would still have to pay at least $500 to buy the same thing in Oz, and thankfully I wasn't desperate for them.

Thanks to DZ Ford (thanks Dan), I've decided to install these myself and just have an alignment done locally. Am ordering a Haynes manual to help out, but I have found a very good guide on changing the springs on XR5turbo.com - the steps are mostly the same.

Can't wait to get them in, hopefully in the next few weeks.

You pay a premium for this...

Old 12-10-2010, 02:34 AM   #24
crispymk2

Quote:
The Bilstein B14 coilovers (height adjustable, fixed damping) are both around $1200 inc. shipping to Australia, from either European-Parts or Demon Tweeks. Just be careful with import taxes.

If you buy these, and save $1000, you owe me a beer!

Although, at this stage, it looks like I'm now leaning towards the Koni Sport suspension kit, with adjustable Koni shocks + Koni lowering springs (35mm all round).
Ahh, thats why. I've seen the B14's on EuroParts but I've been trying to find cheaper B16's as I wanted height and damping adjustment so I had the price of those stuck in my head when you said only $1k.

Good to see they arrived Russ, looking forward to seeing a review of how they perform!