Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #1
1Frothy
Starter Motor

Unhappy Ford Focus – Starting / ignition problems.

Hi Ford Guru's

I'm at my wits end trying to get this problem resolved, by Ford. Perhaps someone can be kind enough to suggest what the problem might be?

Here is a report I typed.

---
The starting ignition problems happen at various times but seem to happen more during cooler weather, i.e. autumn / winter.

Example 1:
Starting, early morning.
Turning ignition, car starts, rev gauge goes to 1100 RPM, then drops below 800 RPM, engine stutters / shakes (uneven sound – as if a cylinder isn’t firing?), rev’s drop further* – car stalls.
*Attempting to press the accelerator at this stage fails 8/10 times to keep the engine operating.

Example 2:
Starting, about 2 hours after car was driven.
Turning ignition, engine turns over, no start.

Example 3:
Starting, as in ‘Example 2’, this time pumping accelerator gently (maybe 1/5th of accelerator travel) while engine is turning over to start – engine starts. But only keeps operating if the accelerator is kept depressed about 1/5th of the way down.

:

1Frothy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
Dinamo
Starter Motor

Thumbs down Same problem

I have the same problem. Ford thought that it was a fuel pump problem so they replaced it last week. Over the weekend the same thing began happening again, having to press the accelerator to be able to start although it doesn't happen as often as before.
Dinamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
GSR
Focus LT

Havnt experienced that but sometimes I actually have trouble trying to turn the ignition key. It sort of gets jammed and wont budge, Its not a steering lock thing its actually the barrel I think.?
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #4
DragonMesh

How old is your focus.. I had the same problem near when mine was new. I took it to the dealership and they "checked over the car"(plugged it into their computer) and found nothing wrong however I noticed they upgraded the ECU software and I have never had a problem since... Just my experience with it.
DragonMesh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #5
BlackLS
yum

Is it a current model (LS/LT 2005 onward) or pervious model (LR).

If the LR, there could be an air leak after the air flow meter.

If the LS, it could be the famous low fuel facing up a hill prob. Try letting the fuel system prime fully (whir for 3-4 sec when turning the car on) before turning over the key.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
20focus05
I wanna XR5

ours wont start sometimes, just turns over. I just put the accel to the floor and it starts fine. . it used to happen quite a lot and could only use BP fuel, found a O2 sensor problem, it happens a lot less now and can use any fuel company. have had it to ford a few times and nothing comes up.

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #7
plee

I was wondering there was any fix for this yet? My LS Focus has been suffering from this pretty much from day one, and the warranty is due up at the end of this month.

I've got it in for a last check over this week and wanted to go in prepared...

Cheers
Old 19-01-2009, 02:48 PM   #8
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

I've had both issues stated above. However I often have to leave my car on a steep upward slope and that is when I've had that issue even with more than 1/2 a tank of petrol. However if I roll the car to the bottom of the hill it starts fine.
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2009, 01:42 AM   #9
ondori
Addicted User

Exclamation

Last year I had a few problems with a main feed hose inside the fuel tank. The hose would suction in on itself, the car wouldn’t run, killed the fuel pump that got replaced. But the main feed hose still had the same problem, the new fuel pump worked better than the old pump, so the fuel started to bypass the hose. It would run but then it started to take two or more turns of the key, to start, like there was no fuel in the fuel system. So new fuel pump didn't fix it, EFI relay didn't fix it, fuel regulated was good, then the machanic replaced the hose, it worked, well sort of, it was running perfect for 3 days, then the computer died. So was it the hose the computer or both, I know there was a problem with both seen the flat hose. And the only error-code to show up was the computer, and that was after the hose was replaced.

The mechanic said he had a lot of problems with ford and the 'identified' hose with a absent part number?

From 01/10/08 - 21/11/08 3 tows 6 mechanical visits ‘03LRzetec3d finally started working correctly haven't had a probem since.
Old 24-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #10
Dinamo
Starter Motor

I've had the same problems as you guys, Ford service 1st thought that it was fuel pump issue so they replaced that. The start-up issues were still present so then I went back and they tuned the ECU software and since March 08 have had no problems with starting it. Just keep on nagging Ford until they fix the problem, especially if your warranty is expiring soon.
Dinamo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post