Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 03-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #1
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Focus Owner!

Hi all!

I just ordered a '06 Ford Focus Zetec in Titanium Grey which arrives in a couple of weeks time. :
As all the cars I have owned have been falcons, I just wanted to know is there anything I need to know or do, in regards to the Focus?
Look forward to your input!

Focussed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 04:14 PM   #2
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHATXR
I just wanted to know is there anything I need to know or do, in regards to the Focus?
Go around corners faster than you could in your Falcon
Drive the pants off it and still only use 70% of the fuel. Use 50% fuel if you drive sensibly.

And last of all, go to the Great Ocean Road, once run in of course. And if you are in Brisbane, to a Mount Glorious run one night. (Better at night, cant see corners, but can see other obstacles coming the other way)
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 04:25 PM   #3
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Go around corners faster than you could in your Falcon
Drive the pants off it and still only use 70% of the fuel. Use 50% fuel if you drive sensibly.

And last of all, go to the Great Ocean Road, once run in of course. And if you are in Brisbane, to a Mount Glorious run one night. (Better at night, cant see corners, but can see other obstacles coming the other way)
Or Sydney - The Old Pac or a Natio run from Loftus, take the road to waterfall then back down, then to the Gong. (Keep an eye on the euroford.com thread)

Things you need to know -
Paint quality
-look at the paint from all angles, in the light.
-look all the gaps and joing

Build quality
- Panel alignment
- Interior build alignment
- Check along all the fabric edges, like under the seat, and seams
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #4
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol
Thanks guys for the advice.
Having previously owned a BA XR8, its a bit of a step down when it comes to power, but I was really impressed with the handling of the Focus. It went into corners really well & was soo comfortable on the road.
I was thinking of getting it lowered cos I feel it sits up a tad bit high, but then again I dont wanna compromise the ride quality.
Has anyone had theirs lowered? If so, by how much & was there a great loss of ride quality?
Old 03-03-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
FocusLX06

PHATXR - Welcome to the Focus family
Old 03-03-2006, 10:34 PM   #6
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
lol
Thanks guys for the advice.
Having previously owned a BA XR8, its a bit of a step down when it comes to power, but I was really impressed with the handling of the Focus. It went into corners really well & was soo comfortable on the road.
I was thinking of getting it lowered cos I feel it sits up a tad bit high, but then again I dont wanna compromise the ride quality.
Has anyone had theirs lowered? If so, by how much & was there a great loss of ride quality?
I've had mine lowered and there is a signifigant loss of ride quality but there is a huuuuuuge gain on the handling side of things, the stock setup has alot of body roll whereas once the superlows were put in it's almost eliminated and goes like it's on rails, i've also lost alot of ride quality due to the different wheels also, i was able to pick up superlows for front and back for $230 through repco which give a 50mm drop from the zetec height
Zetec20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2006, 12:24 PM   #7
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetec20
I've had mine lowered and there is a signifigant loss of ride quality but there is a huuuuuuge gain on the handling side of things, the stock setup has alot of body roll whereas once the superlows were put in it's almost eliminated and goes like it's on rails, i've also lost alot of ride quality due to the different wheels also, i was able to pick up superlows for front and back for $230 through repco which give a 50mm drop from the zetec height
Thanks Zetec.
$230 is pretty good. I will definitely be getting them & new wheels once it arrives. Will post pics too :-)
Old 07-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #8
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thanks Zetec.
$230 is pretty good. I will definitely be getting them & new wheels once it arrives. Will post pics too :-)
What sized wheels were you thinking? also which area are you from? and what style wheels were you after?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:39 PM   #9
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What sized wheels were you thinking? also which area are you from? and what style wheels were you after?
At this I havent even started looking. Still getting over the fact that I dont have my XR8 anymore! lol
Size wise, looking to get 18's or 19's. Probably 18's though. I like the look of shadow chrome wheels. Owned a mercury silvery XR6 which had these and they looked good.
Ssshhh...I havent told the mrs any of this as yet! :
Old 08-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #10
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah my brother has a silver xr6 turbo, he's getting gunmetal 19's with a chrome lip soonish, i'm not sure how well the shadow chrome would go on the titanium grey, might wanna photoshop something first to see what it looks like
Old 08-03-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah my brother has a silver xr6 turbo, he's getting gunmetal 19's with a chrome lip soonish, i'm not sure how well the shadow chrome would go on the titanium grey, might wanna photoshop something first to see what it looks like
I think I will have to do that. Chrome on the titanium grey also looks good imo.
At this stage, I just want the car to get here!!!!
Old 08-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #12
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

ИИИИ a 50mm drop from zetec ride height, you must be sitting on the bump stops dude :P
You got new shocks? if you dont chances are you will soon !!
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #13
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine also has a titanium grey lx and she's got silver wheels with a machined face, just another idea for you to look into, any idea when it's coming yet? where abouts are you situated?

lol yeah i haven't got new shocks, the ride isn't too terrible without them so there's no great urgency to get them, but when i do need to i know the right people to get them cheap anyway heheh
Old 08-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #14
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I need new shocks lol.... 1.5 inch drop... no more gas
Old 09-03-2006, 12:09 PM   #15
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A friend of mine also has a titanium grey lx and she's got silver wheels with a machined face, just another idea for you to look into, any idea when it's coming yet? where abouts are you situated?

lol yeah i haven't got new shocks, the ride isn't too terrible without them so there's no great urgency to get them, but when i do need to i know the right people to get them cheap anyway heheh
The dealer just phoned me & it gets here on the weekend. Having the window tint done monday so I get it on Tuesday! :
This also means I can give my mates missus her toyota starlet/gaylet back, they have kindly lent us whilst we wait for our car to arrive.
What brand of wheels are they? Is there a website I can look at?
I'm located in HOT & SUNNY Alice Springs :-)
Old 09-03-2006, 02:07 PM   #16
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No idea what brand, your best bet would be to look on the tempe website then go to a local wheel shop and see what they can do for you there
Old 09-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #17
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No idea what brand, your best bet would be to look on the tempe website then go to a local wheel shop and see what they can do for you there
ok cheers. will do that.
Old 15-03-2006, 11:25 AM   #18
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

woo hoo! picked the zetec up last night! such a nice ride & soo comfortable. I think I forgot how nice it was since I took one for a test drive a month ago.
everything the dealer promised was done. window tint, scuff plate, handbrake cover, floor & dash mats.
i checked all the panels, trim & paint work. couldnt find any faults. Phew!
so now i think its time to look for new wheels & get the thing lowered!
Old 15-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #19
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good work, remember repco to order king springs, i'll look up the parts numbers next time my car is jacked up in the air, which should be tomorrow they messed up my wheel alignment and have to do it again, as well as having to buy a new tyre...
Old 15-03-2006, 02:57 PM   #20
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
good work, remember repco to order king springs, i'll look up the parts numbers next time my car is jacked up in the air, which should be tomorrow they messed up my wheel alignment and have to do it again, as well as having to buy a new tyre...
cheers mate. appreciate that.
I hope you gonna make them pay for the tyre!!!
Old 15-03-2006, 06:35 PM   #21
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wish I could make them pay, at $310 each they're not cheap, i know people that ИИИИИ about paying that much for 4 tyres, but yeah i'll see how things go and i'll post the parts number tomorrow and wash it if it's good weather
Old 15-03-2006, 08:17 PM   #22
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Pfft I pay $220 just for 16 inch tyres. Nothing but quality for my car.
Old 15-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #23
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec

Agreed 100%. as an ad once said, its the only thing keeping you in contact with the road.... NEVER skimp on tyres.

I would have thought $310 for 20" wheels was cheap?
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 11:59 PM   #24
WASP
Whipple Induced

If it's not too late, keep the XR8!!! Serious, I bought a Titanium LS Focus Zetec for my wifes birthday and it's a lovely car. BUT it will never make up the short fall on the XR8 (assume you talking about a BA), but it will out handle it by a mile!

Like others said, look at paint finish and panel fit. I got teflon coating on ours.
Make sure your battery is charging well and not leaking. (ours leaked and lost charge)
Have fun trying to work out where the best place to put your CD's and sun glasses.
Use Premium fuel depite what Ford say about being standard unleaded friendly. It will perform much better and get better fuel economy.

Other than that it's all pretty good
Old 16-03-2006, 12:07 AM   #25
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Quote:
$270 to $350 for my new car :thebirds: Depends where you source it...

Good luck with the New Focus! They are such nice cars, and with what I thought was a great gearbox. I was so close to buying it, but it just wasn't for me though. Hope it brings what it should - smiles everytime you drive it!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
Zetec20
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
Agreed 100%. as an ad once said, its the only thing keeping you in contact with the road.... NEVER skimp on tyres.

I would have thought $310 for 20" wheels was cheap?

Lol $310 is the cheapest i can get, it doesn't mean it's not $310 though, and until i get a bit of a payrise i can't afford anything more
Old 16-03-2006, 11:39 AM   #27
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
If it's not too late, keep the XR8!!! Serious, I bought a Titanium LS Focus Zetec for my wifes birthday and it's a lovely car. BUT it will never make up the short fall on the XR8 (assume you talking about a BA), but it will out handle it by a mile!

Like others said, look at paint finish and panel fit. I got teflon coating on ours.
Make sure your battery is charging well and not leaking. (ours leaked and lost charge)
Have fun trying to work out where the best place to put your CD's and sun glasses.
Use Premium fuel depite what Ford say about being standard unleaded friendly. It will perform much better and get better fuel economy.

Other than that it's all pretty good
Woops too late! lol BA XR8 went 3 weeks ago. :-( The reason we sold it is to get a smaller, cheaper car which will enable us to save up for a house.
But you right, as lovely as the focus is, it doesn't match up to the XR8. But its a means to an end, so it will do. Since having it, 2 days, I love it. Handles pretty damn well & is very comfortable!
Yes, putting your cds somewhere is a problem. I kept over 80 cd's in the xr and none of those were in the glove compartment! I managed to put one cd holder in the glove box & the other 2 are behind the front seats in the pockets! lol
Either than that, I cant fault the car... touch wood! lol
Old 16-03-2006, 11:41 AM   #28
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I wish I could make them pay, at $310 each they're not cheap, i know people that ИИИИИ about paying that much for 4 tyres, but yeah i'll see how things go and i'll post the parts number tomorrow and wash it if it's good weather
Was it the wheel alignment that stuffed up your tyre? If say, make them pay for the tyre!!!
Old 16-03-2006, 11:48 PM   #29
zetec
Zoom Zoom

It'd be cheaper to buy an Ipod to store your 80 CD's than live with the paint of having CD's stuffed in every nook and cranny!!!! Then plug into the aux jack!!
Old 17-03-2006, 12:21 PM   #30
Focussed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It'd be cheaper to buy an Ipod to store your 80 CD's than live with the paint of having CD's stuffed in every nook and cranny!!!! Then plug into the aux jack!!
Zetec, you are just a wealth of information! now why didnt I think of that!
excuse my igonorance here mate, but where do I plug the ipod into again?