Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Laser and Telstar

Old 11-10-2014, 06:01 PM   #1
bsquiggle
Starter Motor

Default 95 kj2 laser gearbox /clutch

I know now that I have a leaking clutch master cylinder and will be replacing both cylinders tomorrow, but in the process of establishing the cause of crunching gears, I changed the gearbox oil (not sure how old the oil in there was, but it pretty bad.)

For the first few short (each around 5km) drives over several days after that, the gears changed beautifully.

E.g. Went for a short drive this morning, nothing. 2 hours later, same shirt drive,, crunching is back as though nothing happened. I am assuming its the clutch cylinder and will go away tomorrow, but I wonder if the clean shifting immediately after oil change indicates something amiss in the gearbox as well? I don't believe there is any significant gearbox oil leakage, took out about the right amount of oil and no visible drips.

bsquiggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2014, 05:53 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default Re: 95 kj2 laser gearbox /clutch

wait till you change the clutch master
and bleed the slave again

if it crunches after that

suspect the clutch/pressure plate before the box internals
Old 13-10-2014, 12:06 AM   #3
bsquiggle
Starter Motor

Done that, crunching gone as I expected (so far). I'm just curious as to why it would improve briefly with changing gearbox oil...
Old 13-10-2014, 11:17 PM   #4
dirty hands
Over Thinker

did you have the car on ramps or elevate in some way different than usual

the new oil would have helped the syncros /bearings cope better

ponder on "so far so good " ....

give it a week if the crunching comes back

then think syncros/ clutch or front input bearing
Old 14-10-2014, 06:55 AM   #5
bsquiggle
Starter Motor

Thanks for feedback.

We are running on the so far so good theory, and all signs are positive.

Didn't have car elevated for gearbox oil, would've been easier if I had! I think the synchro in 3rd is slightly dodgy (historic problem) but not worth pulling box just for that.