Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Old 06-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #1
themunz2003

Default Fuel Consumption with larger Cams on a Boss 260 - Any feedback please

A couple of members suggested to touch base with Blue Power as they stated that you know these engines inside out.

I have a BA xr8 that is chewing alot of fuel. It was around 27L/100km and then was up to 32L/100km after another tune from a different performance tuner(no dyno - guess work with flash tuner). Initially when I purchased the vehicle, it was a steady 21L/100km. The engine had been rebuilt before I purchased it and has had an extensive rebuild including stage 3 cams (Crower cams 228/232). Injectors are stock. It was retuned (dyno) again just recently by a different performance workshop and although they got a descent amount of grunt out of it (315rwkw) it is still fairly high with fuel consumption. Around 25-26L/100km.

Any feedback if this is normal for cams this size???

themunz2003 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definately doesnt sound normal.

My old ute (BA XR8) had GTPX cams (about 330rwkw) and used about 18-20L/100 around town, 10-13L/100 on the hwy.
Did depend at on the right foot, did get higher with spirited driving but on avarage was about the figures above.

Wade
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

Sounds high, I have stage two Comp cams with 400cc extra capacity, and get 11 on the highway and 20-22 around town. (270 km for 55 litres is the worst I have ever got, all stop start inner city stuff)

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2011, 05:46 PM   #4
cjf
GT Hardcore

That sounds very high my built GT 290 averaged 12.3L /100km on my trip to Willowbank Drags and back on monday (approx. 500km).
If I drive it very hard it sits at 28L /100km.
BPR CAI , PACEMAKERS 4-1, BALLISTIC 100cell RACING CATS, CROW CAMS GTP,
K LINE , XFORCE ,PSI VALVE SPRINGS, MANLEY H BEAMS, SRP PISTONS & RINGS, ACL RACE BEARINGS MELLINGS BILLET OIL PUMP, POWERBOND UNDERDRIVES, TT1-160 THERMOSTAT.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 12:06 AM   #5
themunz2003

Everyone keeps saying it's high but when I get it checked (especially just recently) nothing appears wrong. It is driving me nuts. The performance guy I took it to last said it sounds extreme to chew that sort of fuel but after he tuned it said it was normal due to the 'large cams'!
Love to bring the car in to Blue Power to get it looked at but I'm in Sydney.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:25 AM   #6
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Make the drive south, you wouldn't be the first and won't be the last.

I'm willing to bet a few beers your fuel economy will be better on the way home!

East Coast Suspensions
Road - Race - Performance & Prestige Car Service

BOSS 5.4L Silicon hose kits for sale
BA/BF FPV parts for sale

The only negative thing in your life should be camber

Blue Power Racing Enhanced
Chris & Craig - Thanks!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 01:22 PM   #7
themunz2003

I may hold you to that! lol. I will look into the journey.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
JOSH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

how old are you 02 sensors?

Blue Power Racing Developments
(03) 93053000
Ray Prescott Auto
(02) 49902488
JOSH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
themunz2003

Had them replace mid 09 (inc alternator - expensive!!) with genuine BF o2's. Had them rechecked mid '10 thinking they may be a problem as someone said they had never seen why someone would solder them in as they're is a connection. Asked auto electrician about it. Feedback was the BF o2's are better - something to the effect of better bandwidth(?????)
Old 07-01-2011, 10:06 PM   #10
StockieXR6T

Ask whoever is doing you tuning what sort of cruise and part throttle timing you are running, larger cams wash off compression at lower rpm requiring more timing at cruise, part throttle and low RPM, if they don't know or don't touch that area then find another tuner who does more than tune WOT. If the fuel isn't leaking onto the ground and the cars runs in closed loop with good 02 sensors as stated then it is likely low cruise and part throttle timing.
StockieXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #11
themunz2003

He did show me graphs on computer in reguards to timing and spent alot of time remodeling the timing. But then again, I don't know exactly what I'm looking at as I don't have that expertise and knowledge in that area. It makes sense what your saying and appreciate your feedback.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:47 PM   #12
StockieXR6T

Timing is a 3D map as well, some people spend all their time on WOT. WOT is relatively quick to get right, the part throttles take more time. Most of the tuning I get is retuning work to improve driveability, part throttle torque and economy. Another thing is where the tuner decides to put the car into and out of closed loop.
StockieXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #13
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by themunz2003
A couple of members suggested to touch base with Blue Power as they stated that you know these engines inside out.

I have a BA xr8 that is chewing alot of fuel. It was around 27L/100km and then was up to 32L/100km after another tune from a different performance tuner(no dyno - guess work with flash tuner). Initially when I purchased the vehicle, it was a steady 21L/100km. The engine had been rebuilt before I purchased it and has had an extensive rebuild including stage 3 cams (Crower cams 228/232). Injectors are stock. It was retuned (dyno) again just recently by a different performance workshop and although they got a descent amount of grunt out of it (315rwkw) it is still fairly high with fuel consumption. Around 25-26L/100km.

Any feedback if this is normal for cams this size???
munz,

what is your average KPH on the speedo readout??

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #14
themunz2003

Default Re: Fuel Consumption with larger Cams on a Boss 260 - Any feedback please

Average kph is fairly low. Usually just above 40! I have been sussing out a few things on the car since the last post. 1) The fuel filter was backed up with ****. 2) I have put the Weapon X coil packs on 3) replaced the fuel filter again after a tank of fuel has gone thru it. All these things changed dramatically on how the car was performing and with fuel economy. Of late the economy has been creeping back up but is still a few litres shy of the above figures! Around 23L/100. I'm awaiting the fuel pump upgrade and at the same time will send the injectors off to be cleaned and give the tank & link a good flush. I dont think the fuel pump was ever upgraded. Will keep post new figures once this has happened.
Ford XR8 5sp ute, Kenne Bell Supercharger, cams 228/232, ss race valves, forged pistons, underdrive pulley, 3inch exhaust system w/ extractors and highflow cats, 4.10 diff, billet short shifter, Weapon X coils, .
Old 30-04-2011, 01:39 PM   #15
themunz2003

Default Re: Fuel Consumption with larger Cams on a Boss 260 - Any feedback please

Once I have sorted this bs out would definitely want to upgrade it with a Kenne Bell kit. Keep me posted Chris with my options and many thanks for your time and advice!
Ford XR8 5sp ute, Kenne Bell Supercharger, cams 228/232, ss race valves, forged pistons, underdrive pulley, 3inch exhaust system w/ extractors and highflow cats, 4.10 diff, billet short shifter, Weapon X coils, .