Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Site Sponsor Forums - In Alphabetical Order > Blue Power Racing Developments

Blue Power Racing Developments The home of Blue Power. Website Link

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #1
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 
Question Camshafts for the BARRA Twin Cam ...

How off the wall is this idea ...

Has anyone ever fitted just the exhaust cam ( extra duration ) to give a tuff sound while still keeping the inlet std to maintain fuel economy ?

Is this at all feasable guys, i have been studying many overlap and centreline charts and stuffs me if i can work out why this wouldn't be a feasible proposition..Theo ??

Then the inlet can go in when she is no longer a daily ..... i am talking BIG cams custom grind here 260*@ 50 thou / 550 lift.....

Daz...

Old 09-03-2011, 11:06 AM   #2
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Big camshafts Darren, something like hat would need at least 14:1 to burn effectively and is not something we would do in anything other than an all out race engine.

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Old 09-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #3
Road Games

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Replacement. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluepower
Big camshafts Darren, something like hat would need at least 14:1 to burn effectively and is not something we would do in anything other than an all out race engine.

Chris
Hmmm ok thanks Chris ..
Old 10-03-2011, 09:03 PM   #4
Road Games

Cool A bit of Extra info ...

Why is it necessary to know the Compression Ratio of an engine in order to choose the correct cam?

The compression ratio of the engine is one of three key factors in determining the engine's cylinder pressure. The other two are the duration of the camshaft (at .050" lifter rise) and the position of the cam in the engine (advanced or retarded). The result of how these three factors interact with one another is the amount of cylinder pressure the engine will generate. (This is usually expressed as the "cranking pressure" that can be measured with a gauge installed in the spark plug hole.)

It is important to be sure that the engine's compression ratio matches the recommended ratio for the cam you are selecting. Too little compression ratio (or too much duration) will cause the cylinder pressure to drop. This will lower the power output of the engine.

With too much compression ratio (or too little duration) the cylinder pressure will be too high, causing pre-ignition and detonation. This condition could severely damage engine components.

How does Advancing or Retarding the camshaft's position in the engine affect performance?

Advancing the cam will shift the basic RPM range downward. Four degrees of advance (from the original position) will cause the power range to start approximately 200 RPM sooner. Retarding it this same amount will move the power upward approximately 200 RPM. This can be helpful for tuning the power range to match your situation. If the correct cam has been selected for a particular application, installing it in the normal "straight up" position (per the opening and closing events at .050" lifter rise on the spec card) is the best starting point.

I would appreciate it if you could explain to the masses please Chris what the X-Cal 3 can actually adjust in relation to VCT Phasers please mate..

Daz
Old 15-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #5
Theo@BluePower
Bluepower
Donating Member1

Darren

its nearly impossible to relate this information to the Barra engine mate because for a start its nearly impossible to measure seat to seat timing with a hydaulic lash adjuster, it looks like the passage you have written above is more applicable to the OHV engines.

Chris
03 9305 3000

Old 15-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #6
Road Games

Rightio .. so i can run a 310* cam then .. no worries, sorry to have troubled you fellas !

I will get people to ring you direct as per Chris's conversation instead of asking advice in here sorry ...
Old 16-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #7
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

Default Re: Camshafts for the BARRA Twin Cam ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAZZLER351
Rightio .. so i can run a 310* cam then .. no worries, sorry to have troubled you fellas !

I will get people to ring you direct as per Chris's conversation instead of asking advice in here sorry ...
Darren,

My post has given nobody any indication of what camshafts can or cannot be fitted to these engines.

The Barra 6 needs more than a camshaft to work correctly, and to fit anything more than the base level crow camshaft without added compression will end up in disaster.

To want any more power out of a six, the turbo upgrade is the next recommended step. To spend thousands on head porting, custom hemi dome pistons etc is not good economics when a stock FG XR6T will smash it everywhere including economy and efficiency.

Hope this helps

Chris

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Closed Thread