Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 16-01-2011, 02:51 PM   #1
max
LWBforME

Default More Qantas woes

Reading about a Qantas 747 blowing an engine just before take off from Sydney to LA. I would really like to know if these kinds of mechanical incidents are any more or less prevalent that with any other international airline. Qantas is becoming a hapless organisation what with a plague of mechanical and legal issues. With a trip overseas in the next couple of months in the planning stages, my gut feeling is to avoid Qantas. It is certainly not the cheapest anyway. Shame really as I would prefer to support a local company.

max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max
Reading about a Qantas 747 blowing an engine just before take off from Sydney to LA. I would really like to know if these kinds of mechanical incidents are any more or less prevalent that with any other international airline. Qantas is becoming a hapless organisation what with a plague of mechanical and legal issues. With a trip overseas in the next couple of months in the planning stages, my gut feeling is to avoid Qantas. It is certainly not the cheapest anyway. Shame really as I would prefer to support a local company.
QANTAS has a minor oops and it is front page, anyone else falls out of the sky killing hundreds and it is 2 column inches on page 47.

News prints only rare or unexpected things, not things that happen every day.

QANTAS still has the best safety rating of any airline in the world.

The only problem I have seen growing in aviation over the last 30 years is "budget airlines" and discounting. This reduces income and with less money corners have to be cut to stay in business.

If you can't afford to pay $400 to fly from Sydney to Melbourne then you should take a bus or a train. Aircraft will only get you there 10 hours earlier.

Everyone wants a GT-E at Great Wall prices but cannot understand why Great Walls are not as safe, reliable, comfortable or perform as well as a GT-E.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 04:26 PM   #3
MexicanBatman
Banned

Dissagree with the qf safety reccord there are plenty of airlines that have never had a serious incident plenty of them. Even all the other locals dj jq etc...

Every day for a while now we have had us a/c bit that hasn't made the news. Tall Poppy syndrome sadly for qf. I'd gladly fly qf any day of the week over Garuda for example and other various airlines..
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You still have more chance of being hit by a meteorite then crashing in a Qantas plane.

Unfortunately the media love a beat up.. next they will be reporting low coffee warning lights in cockpits, stale peanuts and over priced bottles of beer in first class....

Fact remains in a multiengine aircraft, engine failures will occur, its part of life.
Weather its from a bird strike, cheap parts, a tired engineer missing something, laziness, etc etc... it happens.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 06:35 PM   #5
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Plus people don't understand the compulsory multiple layers of inspections on each task of aircraft maintenance. Every level of technician working on aircraft must sign for part of the job they do, the inspector must also ensure that the job was done properly and sign the maintenance sheets. No-one want's their name on an aircraft failure. Aircraft maintenance has a far more stricter system of maintenance authorisation compared to say vehicle maintenance.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This may be the cynic in me, but would the maintenance guys/girls be "leaking" information about failures and incidents more recently to try and keep as much maintenance here in Australia instead of it going overseas??

And QANTAS do have one of the best safety records as far as airlines go.

I would choose QANTAS over a lot of others.
Old 16-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
mark300

they are still one of the safest airlines around. i would sooner fly qantas over many other airlines flying today, but there are a few airlines id prefer to fly over qantas for that matter (emirates for one)

like others have mentioned, the media just like to over emphasise things a little, and i think especially in response to qantas moving their maintainence overseas and the recent A380 scare, they are picking up on every little thing that happens in a qantas plane

www.bowlwithbrunswick.com
Bowl with the best
mark300 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 07:02 PM   #8
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

you have a better chance of dying while driving in a quantas jet while using a mobile phone
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #9
MexicanBatman
Banned

I for one would not fly emirates over qantas, qf's problems have been bad luck of late and not human error, the qf drivers are almost as good as they get, can't say that about the emirates crew who due to human error nearly killed 400 people not that long ago in Melbourne, and I'm no inside expert but aside from inputting incorrect weight into the flight computer, the airline requests that they take off using minimal thrust to conserve fuel, can't say that about virgin and qantas, I saw a 767 go near vertical last year, but I doubt it had pax on board.... Well not that steep, but you would have never seen a commercial airline climb like this before, and as I mention about emirates recently I flew with etihad and same deal, we used the whole runway 34 at Mel to get it in the air and then climbed so shallow it barley felt like we gained any altitude for 15 minutes, sure it was heavy a340-600 but I have seen the 380 take off in almost 1/3rd the distance with pax and fuel
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 07:42 PM   #10
mark300

i flew emirates to New Zealand about 18 months ago and had nothing but praise for them. great crew, excellent service and food, onboard entertainment and was a very comfortable flight. yes we used the whole of the main runway at Sydney, but we were on a fully loaded A380 so i really thought nothing of it, must admit i was unaware of those requests the airline make, and ill confess i did forget the emirates melbourne human error incident when writing previously...

i fly around alot for my sports though and my personal favourite to fly by far is virgin blue. never had a delay with them, good aircraft and they are alot more leniant with baggage than other airlines

Bowl with the best
Old 16-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark300
i flew emirates to New Zealand about 18 months ago and had nothing but praise for them. great crew, excellent service and food, onboard entertainment and was a very comfortable flight. yes we used the whole of the main runway at Sydney, but we were on a fully loaded A380 so i really thought nothing of it, must admit i was unaware of those requests the airline make, and ill confess i did forget the emirates melbourne human error incident when writing previously...

i fly around alot for my sports though and my personal favourite to fly by far is virgin blue. never had a delay with them, good aircraft and they are alot more leniant with baggage than other airlines
You actually flew on a Dugong? On purpose? Are you mad.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
JG34JA

Recently got the Qantas shuttle bus that travels between SYD international and domestic, so got to see all the A380's and 747-400s in the Qantas hangars. Rolls Royce Trent engines dropping out of their housings here and there for repair - it was fascinating. I wish the bus went slower so I could see more.

I'd fly Qantas again happily. "Qantas never crashed". In spite of recent woes being reported.

Having ex-airline pilots in the family is fun to say the least. Want an unbiased opinion about any of them? Just ask. Hilarious! You'd never set foot off the land ever again. What are foreign crew training standards like? What do military spy plane jockeys do when bored on duty? You don't wanna know! My favourite story is of a pilot for XXXXX, taking off out of XXXXX years ago, recognised that an engine component was faulty. Returning to the airport and not trusting local mechanics to fit the replacement, he did it himself, got back in, then flew the plane. Those were the days!
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #13
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Qantas are a third world airline when you stand them next to Virgin Atlantic, Emirates, Cathay and the like. Never again.

From the ground staff to the cabin crew everything just seemed to be an issue for them and the onboard experience is below par. If you have never flown with one of the above airlines or someone similar then you are missing out and can get a lot more for your money.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-01-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
xy500
Constant annoyance

it always makes me laugh when people freak out about one engine failing on a 747, there is still more than enough thrust from the other 3 engines for the aircraft to complete any journey.
When all 4 engines fail, then its what i call an incident.
You've got to remember any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, even better if you can reuse the aircraft
Old 16-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
EK run Engine Alliance engines (Same as AF), so they are safe
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 12:28 AM   #16
mark300

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
i loved it actually! im fascinated by the A380s... how such a big plane flies and all that. it was the best flight ive been on by a mile. i was shocked as to how quiet the engines were on take-off

and this was well before the qantas A380 incident as well. mind you i would still happily get on an A380 without hesitation

Bowl with the best
Old 17-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
LXL15

I have flown QANTAS, Qatar Airways and Singapore Airlines from Melbourne to Europe, and QANTAS was definitely of the same, if not better standard. It can just be particualr flights or routes that are bad though. I flew from Melbourne to Doha, then Doha to Zurich (and back again via the same route). The planes from Melbourne to Doha were new and nicer, with more leg room, etc, but the service wasn't very good at all. It seemed like the crews were new too, which makes sense seeing as they only started flying out of Melbourne about a month before I left.

The service to Zurich was fantastic, however. I guess it just depends on the crew you get. Also, I just flew back from Bangkok on a jetstar/QANTAS codeshare flight, and apart from a delay that originated in Melbourne, the service was fantastic. Friendly and helpful the whole way.

Singapore was by far my favourite though, mainly because they gave me a free upgrade to business one time. Nice chaps.

Personally, I'm happy to fly with any prestige airline. I usually just go for the cheapest (hence me flying with so many different airlines).
LXL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2011, 09:40 PM   #18
ELGT4me
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xy500
it always makes me laugh when people freak out about one engine failing on a 747, there is still more than enough thrust from the other 3 engines for the aircraft to complete any journey.
When all 4 engines fail, then its what i call an incident.
You've got to remember any landing you can walk away from is a good landing, even better if you can reuse the aircraft
Ain't that the truth!!!
ELGT4me is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 10:44 AM   #19
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Well here's why you're safer on QF than anyone else.

Quote:
British Airways Flight 268 was a regularly scheduled flight from Los Angeles' LAX airport to London Heathrow. The flight took off at about 9:24 p.m. on Feb. 20, 2005. When the plane, a four Rolls Royce engined Boeing 747-436, was about 300 feet into the air, flames burst out of its number 2 engine. The pilots shut the engine down. Air traffic control expected the plane to return to the airport. However, after consulting with the airline dispatcher, the pilots decided to set off on their flight plan "and get as far as we can." While 747s are certified to fly on three engines, doing so leaves much less room for error. Upon reaching England, the captain declared a fuel emergency after not being knowledgeable enough to cross feed fuel and landed in Manchester. A safety controversy ensued; the U.S. Federal Aviation Agency (FAA) accused the carrier of flying an "unairworthy" plane across the Atlantic ocean.
Same engines, same scenario and yet QF policy is to land.
This is BTW not the first time other airlines have done this, the plane involved in 268 had a week earlier had an engine failure climbing out of singapore and continued on to LHR.
Finally, the trent 900 is an evolution of the RB211's core; and in all recent failures on QF's 438's have been the culprits. Same as BA. Long live the GE CF6's on the 438ER's.

Quote: