Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:58 PM   #31
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a few clubs and their members in SA and Vic busting a gut to get decent 1/8th mile drags going as there isnt any other options at present. Go out and try it, you will like it no worries. Usually pretty good prize money and trophies/prizes up for grabs too. Went to Coonawarra last weekend for the first time and it was a great day, lots of tough cars in Super Sedan and Modified. Meetings there, Whyalla and Waikerie in SA and at Warrnambool, Portland, Ballarat and Warracknabeal in the west of Vic so plenty of places to go for a weekend away and a fix as well.
Old 03-02-2007, 05:43 PM   #32
BAturb

by the looks of things Adelaide is still around 4hrs drive away from even an 1/8 drag strip, with the hours some people work (including myself) it seems it not possible to make the trip to race, so what option does that leave? thats why some choose to 'street race', to get it 'out of their systems'

Dyno figures are just Numbers!!!

Winner best Ford ute any model
07 Adelaide all Ford day
BAturb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 06:13 PM   #33
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All depends how keen people are. I work a 7 seven day a week rotating shift 12 hr job. We travel 13 hrs to WSID a cpl of times a year and went to the Winternats last year. Been to Mildura and Coonawarra for the Tri Series rounds and help run the 1/8th mile drags here. Used to street race years ago till a few of us went to a proper 1/8th mile event and got hooked on it. Nothing like chasing someone down from a headstart. Biggest thing with some of the young "hoons" seems to be they like to tell all their mates how tough and quick their car is but fear going down the strip and proving it one way or the other.
Old 03-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #34
BAturb

Im keen to race on the strip, however I work 6 days a week 10hrs a day, I also have a family, driving 4hrs+ to race a car is not the most practical thing for some to do, when AIR was open it was not a problem to drive 30mins on a sat arvo after work then race then drive home 30mins, I think that may be the case with a lot of people, I dont mind racing on a 1/4 mile or an 1/8 mile, but somewhere even upto an hour away would be great

Dyno figures are just Numbers!!!

Winner best Ford ute any model
07 Adelaide all Ford day
BAturb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 09:54 PM   #35
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAturb
I dont mind racing on a 1/4 mile or an 1/8 mile, but somewhere even upto an hour away would be great
Upto an hour would be ideal but im happy to go up to 2 hours no drama. :

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:24 PM   #36
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAturb
Im keen to race on the strip, however I work 6 days a week 10hrs a day, I also have a family, driving 4hrs+ to race a car is not the most practical thing for some to do, when AIR was open it was not a problem to drive 30mins on a sat arvo after work then race then drive home 30mins, I think that may be the case with a lot of people, I dont mind racing on a 1/4 mile or an 1/8 mile, but somewhere even upto an hour away would be great
Self employed? We do these as a family holiday of sorts. Daughter (9) the first time we went to WSID was fairly blase and uninterested until the alcohol and nitro cars came out. We were sitting at about 1000ft and couldnt get the smile off her face after that. The sooner something permanent gets built in Melb and Adel the better. The Riverland deal would be a great thing but not sure where its at at the minute.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:21 PM   #37
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=84833

I vote to support the petition any thing the State Goverment my able to do to support a SA quater mile strip is a good thing IMO.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 06:30 PM   #38
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=84833
I vote to support the petition any thing the State Goverment my able to do to support a SA quater mile strip is a good thing IMO.

as MoreHPformyXR6 has in his link, pop over and have a look at this and if possible lend a hand.

Quote:
This Bob Glidden ?
http://www.nhra.com/50th/top50/B_Glidden04.html

Quote:
NHRA Stats: NHRA season champions, 1974-2006
1974: Bob Glidden: 1975: Bob Glidden: 1976: Larry Lombardo: 1977: Don Nicholson: 1978: Bob Glidden: 1979: Bob Glidden: 1980: Bob Glidden:
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 12:00 PM   #39
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

If the state government is serious about reducing the road toll in SA, then they really need to be stepping in and addressing the issue of no legal drag strips close to Adelaide.

Over the past 12 months I can recall at least 3 deaths on our roads in metropolitan Adelaide that can be attributed to illegal street racing. Whilst these may still have occurred if AIR was open, all it takes is one life to be saved to justify the cost.

I have been living down at Glenelg now for the past year. I am about 500 metres from Anzac Hwy and most nights I would hear at least 1 drag race down this road. Friday and Saturday nights sounds like I am living next door to a drag strip. This is only one small section of road in Adelaide, I can only imagine what is happening on our other roads.

I had 2 cars take off in front of me the other night near maccas on the cnr of Anzac Hwy and Morphett Road…..both of these cars were very, very quick. One got a bit sideways and went into the next lane and how he missed the other car I don’t know.

I know there will always be an element that will street race their car, unfortunately that will never be eradicated. I just wonder if the Government and the SA Police realise the impact that no legal drag strip in Adelaide is having on the roads.

There has been rumours about AIR for the past 12 months now both on and off these forums. I for one don’t care if AIR stays open or it is flattened. All I know is that we need a drag strip within 1 hour of Adelaide soon otherwise there will be more people injured or killed on our roads.

Cheers

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
GT 8888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:35 PM   #40
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

Exactly right Brad, and we have the same situation here in Melbourne. Unfortunately i reckon it is a little more difficult for us as we have 2 facilities that have "drag racing" on every week. As the government wouldn't know the difference between Legal off street racing and Championship Drag Racing it certainly is a battle.

I have been involved with a couple of events with the funny car to try and help the cause but let me tell you it is a battle to ask anyone for 30 million dollars.

But we all need to keep pushing this along, we can't sit idle and expect that someone will get it done. Here we have "DRIVA" which i know ARE doing things behind the scenes but i believe S.A. has nothing as yet.
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM   #41
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

GT 8888 the people racing on the streets are always going to be racing on the streets as they will do this when there out driving around having fun. As for distance to travel this has already been covered plenty of times why does it have to be with in 1 hour of the city. If Barmera does eventualy go ahead and nothing happens to AIR are all you city so called racers not going to travel, even though that will be a 1/4 mile if it does happen. As for Whyalla went for a walk down the strip this morning flood has not helped the condition of the track, some maintenance has already started by what i could see but the meeting this weekend wont be on. I would be interested to know when AIR used to be open what the number of city racers v's country racers turned out as i know there used to be quite a few from Pt Pirie, Whyalla, Riverland, Southeast, not to mention interstate. Bottom line if you want to race you will travel as we cant rely on our government to do anything about it because they wont even fix our roads to save lives there not going to build a race track to save lives.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 02:20 PM   #42
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
GT 8888 the people racing on the streets are always going to be racing on the streets as they will do this when there out driving around having fun. As for distance to travel this has already been covered plenty of times why does it have to be with in 1 hour of the city. If Barmera does eventualy go ahead and nothing happens to AIR are all you city so called racers not going to travel, even though that will be a 1/4 mile if it does happen. As for Whyalla went for a walk down the strip this morning flood has not helped the condition of the track, some maintenance has already started by what i could see but the meeting this weekend wont be on. I would be interested to know when AIR used to be open what the number of city racers v's country racers turned out as i know there used to be quite a few from Pt Pirie, Whyalla, Riverland, Southeast, not to mention interstate. Bottom line if you want to race you will travel as we cant rely on our government to do anything about it because they wont even fix our roads to save lives there not going to build a race track to save lives.
Gather all will be good for the Tri Series round then? Looking forward to it.
Old 24-02-2007, 12:22 PM   #43
KBBossedXR

Just got back in town and the Tri Series is on in 2 weeks so the track must be ready. i hope to see some of you here, if you want to meet up i will be with my mates green XY. A set of alloy AFD 4'vs have just gone on since last meet so i think he will be put on the trailer before the end of the night. (6 seconds roll cage). if you need any info let me know and i will do what i can.
cheers
Cameron
Old 25-02-2007, 02:47 AM   #44
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just got back in town and the Tri Series is on in 2 weeks so the track must be ready. i hope to see some of you here, if you want to meet up i will be with my mates green XY. A set of alloy AFD 4'vs have just gone on since last meet so i think he will be put on the trailer before the end of the night. (6 seconds roll cage). if you need any info let me know and i will do what i can.
cheers
Cameron
Yes , some further info would be good, as it would be good to drop out and see some racing.
Old 25-02-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Bob Jane still owns it and there will be a round of the AUstralian Motor Racing Championship there this year, just like last year.

www.amrs.net.au, click on calendar, they are there July 14 & 15 2007
Old 25-02-2007, 12:04 PM   #46
KBBossedXR

Doc Saturday 10th March between 4:00pm & 8:00pm is a test & tune then they are allowing people to camp out there. Sunday is the final round of the Tri-Series so far there is almost 40 entries from all over SA and some from VIC, NSW. This is a day night meet with Qualifying starting at 10:00am. This is a long weekend so accomadation is booked in advanced, so if you want to drive down from Adelaide to watch some good Drag Racing if you fill up before you leave the city and dont stop you will be here in under 4hrs. For those people that are confused this is Whyalla that i am talking about. do you think i should start a seperate thread or just leave it here.
Cheers

Cameron
Old 25-02-2007, 04:48 PM   #47
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Doc Saturday 10th March between 4:00pm & 8:00pm is a test & tune then they are allowing people to camp out there. Sunday is the final round of the Tri-Series so far there is almost 40 entries from all over SA and some from VIC, NSW. This is a day night meet with Qualifying starting at 10:00am. This is a long weekend so accomadation is booked in advanced, so if you want to drive down from Adelaide to watch some good Drag Racing if you fill up before you leave the city and dont stop you will be here in under 4hrs. For those people that are confused this is Whyalla that i am talking about. do you think i should start a seperate thread or just leave it here.
Cheers

Cameron
LOL you caught me i was thinking this was in adelaide at the AIR, late night are getting to me, there is nothing stopping you posting some info in the SA events sections for thse wanting more info.

Pete
Old 03-04-2007, 06:47 PM   #48
xalent
Red Eye Racing

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/s.../2007/111.html

Extract from the court case. Read it and make up your own mind
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2007, 07:20 PM   #49
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT 8888
If the state government is serious about reducing the road toll in SA, then they really need to be stepping in and addressing the issue of no legal drag strips close to Adelaide.

Over the past 12 months I can recall at least 3 deaths on our roads in metropolitan Adelaide that can be attributed to illegal street racing. Whilst these may still have occurred if AIR was open, all it takes is one life to be saved to justify the cost.

I have been living down at Glenelg now for the past year. I am about 500 metres from Anzac Hwy and most nights I would hear at least 1 drag race down this road. Friday and Saturday nights sounds like I am living next door to a drag strip. This is only one small section of road in Adelaide, I can only imagine what is happening on our other roads.

I had 2 cars take off in front of me the other night near maccas on the cnr of Anzac Hwy and Morphett Road…..both of these cars were very, very quick. One got a bit sideways and went into the next lane and how he missed the other car I don’t know.

I know there will always be an element that will street race their car, unfortunately that will never be eradicated. I just wonder if the Government and the SA Police realise the impact that no legal drag strip in Adelaide is having on the roads.

There has been rumours about AIR for the past 12 months now both on and off these forums. I for one don’t care if AIR stays open or it is flattened. All I know is that we need a drag strip within 1 hour of Adelaide soon otherwise there will be more people injured or killed on our roads.

Cheers

Brad
Not to metion the deaths/crashes of the "wannabe' drifters in the hills aswell

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2007, 08:13 AM   #50
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalent
http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/cases/s.../2007/111.html

Extract from the court case. Read it and make up your own mind
If I read this properly, AIR was the defendant, because a case was bought against them, is that how you read it?

If so, from the very top and the very bottom of the page:

Quote:
1. In this matter the plaintiffs, Isotomic Pty Ltd ("Isotomic") and Mr George Nowak, are seeking specific performance in relation to a contract for the sale and purchase of a property known as the Adelaide International Raceway. It is necessary to set out in summary form, a brief description of the persons and entities involved in this dispute

Quote:
216 In the end result therefore the plaintiffs application for specific performance is refused. There will be judgment for the defendant
Old 04-04-2007, 01:42 PM   #51
xalent
Red Eye Racing

Yeah basically Bob Jane won the case brought up gainst him.

However, I have been told today that there is work happening at the track, just painting and that sort of stuff in anticipation for a return of street meets. If anyone is passing by the track, have a look out. There was no mention of work on the track surface or timing gear so don't know whats going on there. This was straight off the grapevine though so not sure how true it is. Just hope it is!!
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 02:27 PM   #52
paddy351
Ford Nut

so that means that bob jane will run the track again,but i hope that he gets more involved in motor racing as Adelaide is hungry for drag racing and also it will filter to the speed shops for all the nos and slicks and race fuels, good for all
paddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #53
Trevor 57
is now there

I have heard that some money is being spent over there
Old 17-04-2007, 03:36 PM   #54
paddy351
Ford Nut

so has anyone got any more info about if any street meets are going to be held.if they are going to have the powerfest there the ball might be rolling
paddy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 03:44 PM   #55
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I wouldnt hold ya breath mate. Bob Jane is ruthless and it wouldnt surprise me if he keeps it locked up for a very long time.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #56
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best bet for SA would seem to be the guys in Riverland, hopefully it gets up and going soon
Old 18-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #57
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

BOB JANE is a PR$CK he holds all involved in motorsport to randsom ,the sooner he kicks the bucket the better for us all .I think he has lost his passion for it and is going senial.THERE SHOULD BE A BOUNTY ON HIS HEAD FOR RAPE as he has been F$$KING us over for years

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 12:49 AM   #58
smally289
growing up is optional

You would think that with a young hot Wife (dunno if she still is) he wouldve been dead by now...........
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 01:28 AM   #59
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
You would think that with a young hot Wife (dunno if she still is) he wouldve been dead by now...........

well she did try to stab him

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2007, 02:42 PM   #60
Trevor 57
is now there

The Australian Motor Racing Series (a National Circuit Racing event) will be held at AIR on July 14 & 15 2007.

see http://www.amrs.net.au/