Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 29-01-2007, 07:57 PM   #1
BAturb

Default AIR, any news?

Does anyone have any info regarding Adelaide international raceway? I heard today the court case was over and the judgement went against Bob Jane, (good news for the tracks future), has anyone got any other info about whats going to happen now

Dyno figures are just Numbers!!!

Winner best Ford ute any model
07 Adelaide all Ford day
BAturb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 08:42 PM   #2
Craig
RIP Craig - 13/11/08
Donating Member1

I have heard (i do get told rumours all the time) that TOLL Logistics have purchased the land and will be flattening the site to set up there new distribution centre.....So who knows time will tell.......
Craig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 09:07 PM   #3
BAturb

I heard the guy from city auto dissmantlers was disputing ownership and thats why it went to court, and the judgment went in his favour, as for TOLL Logistics wanting to flatten the place does this mean there will be no 1/4 mile race track in SA? what of the cost and removal and cleanup fees to remove the asbestos filled mounds around the track now? is there any hope to see a 1/4 mile race track in SA again?

07 Adelaide all Ford day
Old 29-01-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
GT
Mrs Russellw
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: All your effort in keeping me sane and on-track. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For her honest, direct and helpful advice to members. The content of her posts help many members on the forum and most times, turn a very negative thread into a postive one. 

I work in the car industry, in Adelaide and the word is that Toll are going in there and the place is being flattened.

Riverland looks like the only bright light on the horizon. Did their show and drags in Nov 2005 and it was the most fantastic weekend I've had since I've lived in this country.

Cheers
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290
Fact is Gaela's GTP IS the quickest NA Boss 290 Sedan now (by a long shot)
The precedent of stripping weight and using full slicks was set years ago now.

So if you want to beat em, ya gotta join em, and being manual makes the time even more credible.
GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #5
SPK-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TOLL have got nothing to do with it at all. As far as i know it is still in court and yes the courts have ruled against bob jane but he or more to the point his legal team, have the ability to appeal any loss of ruling. I will be talking with someone in the know on friday so i'll see what i can dig up.
Old 31-01-2007, 01:37 AM   #6
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsgt
Riverland looks like the only bright light on the horizon. Did their show and drags in Nov 2005 and it was the most fantastic weekend I've had since I've lived in this country.
Cheers
GT
Sad to see it go (if it happens, got my first real taste for fast cars there many years ago, the riveland may be the next option, see the link in the sig to find out more regarding this site.

Pete
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #7
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Looks like the Riverland and Heathcote are the two clostest options :(

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 07:48 AM   #8
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
Looks like the Riverland and Heathcote are the two clostest options :(
Whyalla ( 4 hours north ) has a 1/8 track but not sure if they even use it anymore. ?

poor state of affairs for adelaide really.
Old 31-01-2007, 11:05 AM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC
Whyalla ( 4 hours north ) has a 1/8 track but not sure if they even use it anymore. ?

If someone was smart enough then they would set a drag strip up, doesn't have to be a complete racing complex just a strip for now and see what happens.

What a gold mine! The government could get in on it too, responsible racing blah blah blah
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 06:55 PM   #10
xalent
Red Eye Racing

While we're at it, what is the state of the Riverland Track?
xalent is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2007, 09:03 PM   #11
BAturb

and regarding the TOLL rumours, they looked into buying the complex to level it and use it for their yard, but there is too much asbestos in the mounds and the cost of cleanup would not be worth their while, that leaves, who now owns it and what are their plans with the track? will it be opened, stay closed? who knows

07 Adelaide all Ford day
Old 31-01-2007, 10:39 PM   #12
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

see www.steelcitydrags.com for info on Whyalla and yes its still going
Old 31-01-2007, 11:54 PM   #13
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope some rich dude re-opens AIR or a quater mile drag strip in SA Metro - outer metro asap. For example an ex pat South Ozzie now living the high life O/S he is passionate about drag racing & wants to give something back to the state. Eg Andy Thomas of NASA may just like drag racing that much lol. Or some one living local with squillions who wants to put up the $$$$. Im not fussed either way. Im not sure of setting up a drag strip per say there would be much money in it. But surley if they set up a multi purpose complex including a drag strip it could work. :

I for one am happy to through in $50 bucks to help AIR have legal off street drags in South Oz again.

BA XR6 Mk II Shockwave Sedan - Now Sold - gone but not forgotten

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMO SIX
You have become the new SLOANY mate, no real quality to your current post(s).
MoreHPformyXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 06:27 AM   #14
qwigybo
hunting 300kw's

if i had the coin i'd rebuild it myself has to be a goldmine being the only strip in SA
qwigybo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 06:31 AM   #15
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Chatting to a guy today in one of our auto shops and he is of the same view, lets get it open and race. I think there are a lot of people wanting the same thing.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:08 AM   #16
KBBossedXR
GetBlown or GetBlown Away

Hey everyone i know there are lots of different stories going round all the time but i do have some good news .Last thursday 25th janurary a meeting was held in Pt Augusta SA in which about 30 people attended , a few with a couple of dollars in there banks and they want to build a top quality 1/8th mile. Bad news as i live in Whyalla the floods we had the other week have had the whole facility under water for several days i have not been out to see the damage.Every year we have at least 5 meetings as part of the Charlie Dennis Memorial. Then we hold a round of the tri series (Mildura,Naracorte,Whyalla). And in between that we have test and tune days. Last season we also tried a cash shootout $3000 first $1500 second $500 third there were cars from interstate that made the trip. The track is one of the oldest if not the oldest in Australia and it shows its age but i high sevens in street trim XR Falcon 351 Clevo several low seven, high six steet cars, 5 second race cars and last year at 3 consecutive meets (sorry i cant remember his name) re-set the track record in his alcohol funny car with a 4.8 second pass pedaling the car down the strip. So all you people out there with cars that want to go racing we have a strip plenty of accomadation. As for AIR the last thing i heard was City Dismantlers bought it from Bob Jane all except for the carpark from about the 1000ft mark onwards, Bob Jane wont sell that land and this is why it whent back to court, I think he is either a complete ******* or he has some sort of illness with his head. How can someone buy the strip but not have any where for the public to park. Maybe the goverment could throw in a couple of dollars as the Alice Springs council gave the Hot rod association $1,ooo,ooo to start excavation for there 1/4 mile if they can get it why cant we. It truely is sad the amount of money sitting around in peoples sheds in SA not being used due to no where to race the 1/4 mile, and the money lost on cheap sales as people had to gat rid of cars that were just sitting around doing nothing. Hope to see some of you here in Whyalla as us Ford boys are always out numbered, if anyone wants info on sheduled meetings let me know, i will put up some info about tracks condition once i find out if there has been any damage from floods.
KBBossedXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #17
620hp_gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC

The last Whyalla meeting was canceled, Not enough entries....But there is a test and tune coming up. I was told to put my car on the trailer, ran 6.9 on the 1/8 and told to install a cage.. Packed up and retired.
620hp_gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 10:25 AM   #18
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

1/8??...where is the fun in that? A 1/4 goes quickly enough for some.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 01-02-2007, 01:33 PM   #19
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
1/8??...where is the fun in that? A 1/4 goes quickly enough for some.
Absolutely 100% agree with that.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM   #20
KBBossedXR

1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, either one its still drag racing. Another car in the other lane waiting for the christmas tree to come down and tryin to be the first one of the line then flat out until the win light, plus the burn outs and not having to worry about the cops, sounds good to me. As for roll cage 6 seconds on the 1/8 mile, 10 second 1/4 mile at ANDRA sanctioned meetings, you would have seen my mates green XY he has been warned. Lack of numbers has always been a issue for some reason people seem to think its not worth racing on which is not true. Before my clevo dumped its coolant out the extractors one day at AIR after a 11.5 @ 120mph pass i used to leave my XR in Pt Pirie so it was in the middle for me to race at AIR and Steel City. I was also told this afternoon the Alice Springs strip has only been given $800,000 and its only going to be a 1/8 mile as well, Polyal and XRchic how fast have you gone down the 1/4 mile if you have, if you havent try a 1/8 mile before you write it off.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #21
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
Absolutely 100% agree with that.
All the action is in the 1/8th! The last half is just enjoying the ride
Old 02-02-2007, 09:45 AM   #22
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
All the action is in the 1/8th! The last half is just enjoying the ride
Not necessarily true, the first 1/8 is about launch and shifting (for those who can be bothered).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 02-02-2007, 02:01 PM   #23
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
XRchic how fast have you gone down the 1/4 mile if you have, if you havent try a 1/8 mile before you write it off.
Mate, have a look at my sig.... Ive done the 1/4 mile.... just a few times. LOL.

Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 PM   #24
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mr Mike Rann
Premier
Parliment House
North Terrace
Adelaide SA 5000

Dear Mike

Please put forward some of my tax payer dollars into ensuring Adelaide has a 1/4 Mile strip to race in a controlled enviroment. It links in with your push to get hoons of our street which I fully support eg illegal drag racing etc.

Kind Regrads

Scott (AFF Member)
MoreHPformyXR6 :eclipsee_

mods: 20% under drive, Pacemaker Comps 4495' (ceramic coated) , 3' Metal Cat, XR6T exhaust - twin 3' tips, F6 CAI, K&N panel filter, PWR trans cooler, customed tuned by Heinrich Performance Tuning HPT 183.7rwkw.

Quote:
Old 03-02-2007, 12:34 AM   #25
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Not necessarily true, the first 1/8 is about launch and shifting (for those who can be bothered).
Nothing could be truer, if you muck up the first 1/8th you may as well pack your bags cause you sure cant make it up in the second
Old 03-02-2007, 12:35 AM   #26
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Mr Mike Rann
Premier
Parliment House
North Terrace
Adelaide SA 5000

Dear Mike

Please put forward some of my tax payer dollars into ensuring Adelaide has a 1/4 Mile strip to race in a controlled enviroment. It links in with your push to get hoons of our street which I fully support eg illegal drag racing etc.

Kind Regrads

Scott (AFF Member)
MoreHPformyXR6 :eclipsee_
I

llegal STREET RACING not drag racing
Old 03-02-2007, 09:43 AM   #27
MoreHPformyXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd dad
I

llegal STREET RACING not drag racing
Thanx for picking up my wording & shouting your reply jd dad. I should have worded something along the lines of as Mr Rann wants to stop hoons doing all forms of "illegal street racing including people drag racing on suburban streets" which I fully support & safe and controlled enviroment wether it be AIR or some place else should be high on his agenda. I understand that we are the only mainland capital city without a venue to use. Which in un-acceptable.

:eclipsee_

Quote:
Old 03-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #28
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreHPformyXR6
Thanx for picking up my wording & shouting your reply jd dad. I should have worded something along the lines of as Mr Rann wants to stop hoons doing all forms of "illegal street racing including people drag racing on suburban streets" which I fully support & safe and controlled enviroment wether it be AIR or some place else should be high on his agenda. I understand that we are the only mainland capital city without a venue to use. Which in un-acceptable.

:eclipsee_
Its all good, just that those in drag racing have to keep reminding the media etc that what these clowns are doing is street racing, not drag racing so wouldnt want the pollies getting the wrong idea about it
Old 03-02-2007, 11:49 AM   #29
KBBossedXR

XR Chic i am Sorry didnt read it and mean any thing rude by it, it just gives me the shits when people say that the 1/8 mile is not worth racing on, i ran my ute on there and ran 3 runs in the low 9 second range strugling for traction (my driving) then got it down to a 8.91 by the end of the day and it was alot of fun. going buy your 1/4 mile time the 1/8 mile will not be over that quick like mine, as i ran 11.5 on the 1/4 mile, the 1/8 mile nearly felt as long. If you are in SA it would be great to see you here one day
Old 03-02-2007, 03:41 PM   #30
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroked67
XR Chic i am Sorry didnt read it and mean any thing rude by it, it just gives me the shits when people say that the 1/8 mile is not worth racing on, i ran my ute on there and ran 3 runs in the low 9 second range strugling for traction (my driving) then got it down to a 8.91 by the end of the day and it was alot of fun. going buy your 1/4 mile time the 1/8 mile will not be over that quick like mine, as i ran 11.5 on the 1/4 mile, the 1/8 mile nearly felt as long. If you are in SA it would be great to see you here one day
Cheers mate! I think it would just take some adapting to, is all. Like, when you are used to the 1/4 mile, the times sort of have some relevance as do the mph. However, perhaps it could be gotten used to, as it would be better than no track at all!

Im keen to try anything really! At the end of the dray, racing is racing, right?!