Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Closed Thread

Old 15-02-2005, 01:17 AM   #61
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx
Correct and when it came to XB's. 4V didn't mean big valve, big port heads. It just meant 4 venturi (4brl carb/manifold). It's the most common mistake.
I am aware of that, but all 4V Clevelands in the XB (yes Brendan, even the ones with 2V Heads) ran the same Motorcraft 4300 Carburettor.

/me hopes this thread gets back on topic soon........

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Old 15-02-2005, 07:48 AM   #62
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

I read all the posts last night, but there have obviously been more since then. I was thinking this morning and last night a bit too, about the possibility of scrapping the list form, in favor of a points based system.

I havent got long to type it out, but my idea is like this.
DIY mods (air cleaner, carb jetting) = 0 points
Extractors, zorst, ECU piggy backs = 1 point
and so on and so on, obviously these would have to be refined, but i personally think that it would be better than having a car that only had different tyres on having to run in a class with members that had different diff ratios etc.

Ok, off to work.

302 had the Stromberg WW 2 Barrel (also used on 250 2V Engine I think)
They certainly were, and if you have one lying around, id be glad to have it
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
Old 15-02-2005, 07:52 AM   #63
rodderz

I agree with Mark about diff changes being inthe same category as opened cars. Maybe a limit to the size of the difference in ratio.

For example, say going from 3:23 to 3:46 wouldnt do stuff all really, yet maybe it could apply for 4:11 or higher, where the change is more significant
Old 15-02-2005, 08:51 AM   #64
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

What about the 4cyl's ?

Im sure there are quite a few of us on here how wouldnt mind being involved in this

Chris
Old 15-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #65
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

at this point of time, and after watching some of the shit fights and smart arsed comments, by all, I am inclined not to go ahead with this.

This thread was started for constructive comments, not smart arsed ones, or idle chit chat

At the end of the day, we just a have a simple table with everyones time, no classes, just times and speed

This was setup for the average Ford owner to jump in his car, take it to the strip, and compare it to others with similar mods. The way everyone is heading you have driver weight as a catergory restriction
Old 15-02-2005, 09:15 AM   #66
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordel
What about the 4cyl's ?

Im sure there are quite a few of us on here how wouldnt mind being involved in this

Chris
Aye

And I dare say a that with the 8s, we can also include the 4's in regards to mods

Gary
Old 15-02-2005, 09:24 AM   #67
Chris
AFF.com.au

Gary,

There is some real progress here. I think it can go ahead. There can be a way to run the older styles and make it equitable.

I know yourself and simon have put up with some off topic discussion, but i see merit in whats happening with your efforts - dont let these guys distract you.

Keep on it, it will work. If we cant wrap the whole package up just yet, we can run the EFI classes as discussed, and work on a package for the carby guys, and rarer engine configs.

Please remember that we are all taking time out of our personal and working lives to create a unique situation that we will all benefit from. refrain from shit stirring, as we will all win in the end if these guys can get this together.

We all want this system in one way or another, so we need positive people.

Thanks

Chris
Old 15-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #68
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

People who are not positive to the way something is writen in the classes system is set out, still feel free to post, its constructive stuff we need, if you don’t like something in these classes. Put something forward but keep it on track..
Its your cars your system..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 15-02-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 15-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #69
Chris
AFF.com.au

sorry mark
Old 15-02-2005, 09:58 AM   #70
Chris
AFF.com.au

I should have worded my post better.
Old 15-02-2005, 12:06 PM   #71
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you wanted to when the vehicles times are listed you would have next to it if its an XR8 or a GT, make more sence to add that the hiest placed XR8 AND GT have the same prizes....

Silhouette FG F6 Xtreme Ford Tuning spec, Power so far 1100+RWHP

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

FG GS Miami/Coyote Ute Auto. XFT Xtreme 5.0 Coyote package 10.84 stock blower.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 15-02-2005, 12:12 PM   #72
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I'm extremely sorry if my attempted joke was taken out of context. It's very hard on a forum like this because we can not see each others faces. People who know me see my tongue is always in my cheek, I take no pleasure in upsetting anyone.

Laminge and GTP-330 this is a great idea and your efforts are very much appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laminge
This was setup for the average Ford owner to jump in his car, take it to the strip, and compare it to others with similar mods. The way everyone is heading you have driver weight as a catergory restriction
This was not stated at the start of the thread. The thread title "Drag Racing Events Rules- FF.COM.AU" got my attention. I race once a month and will attend any forum events I can get to without blowing up my motor in practice : And after 25 years involvement in dragracing I thought there may be something I could add.
I would like rules where we all get to race each other, what do others think?
GTP-330 you have done a great job with the draft. May be take a step back and let the ideas in the thread develop. Then see what comes out at the end and you and Laminge can make whatever changes you think are required. At the moment you appear to be shoting people down as soon as they post.
For rules to work they need to be accepted. For rules to be accepted you need to ask interseted parties to have input and listern to that input.
Old 15-02-2005, 12:30 PM   #73
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse
I'm extremely sorry if my attempted joke was taken out of context. It's very hard on a forum like this because we can not see each others faces. People who know me see my tongue is always in my cheek, I take no pleasure in upsetting anyone.

Laminge and GTP-330 this is a great idea and your efforts are very much appreciated.

This was not stated at the start of the thread. The thread title "Drag Racing Events Rules- FF.COM.AU" got my attention. I race once a month and will attend any forum events I can get to without blowing up my motor in practice : And after 25 years involvement in dragracing I thought there may be something I could add.
I would like rules where we all get to race each other, what do others think?
GTP-330 you have done a great job with the draft. May be take a step back and let the ideas in the thread develop. Then see what comes out at the end and you and Laminge can make whatever changes you think are required. At the moment you appear to be shoting people down as soon as they post.
For rules to work they need to be accepted. For rules to be accepted you need to ask interseted parties to have input and listern to that input.
I understand what you are saying mate, I wasnt trying to shoot anyone down, I was just stating that it isnt an easy task to try and mix cars of all ages agendas into one form of rules....Of course you can race anyone in any class as a grudge match.. we arent going for points who wins what races wins.. we are looking for the fastest cars in every class... You might get knocked out in the first round by a 10 second turbo car.. DOesnt matter you can go around again and your times will count if you have had your car checked and it complies to the rules for its class..we arent racing for sheep stations. :eclipsee_

Does that make sence? Im not trying to get arqumentative. Its just frustrating..... What ppl need to do is instead of just saying that a rules is shit, give us some scope as to how to make it work.?? If you can come up with rules that makes everyone happy Ill be the first to shake your hand and say well done. Thing is you cant make everyone happy no matter how hard you try, I mean shit most of us cant even keep our misses happy . ing_sm

Sorry if ive given any other impretion to what i have listed above

FG XR8 Ute 3 speed auto and converter and 9 inch XFT built 5.4 SCJ engine 4.0 litre Whipple 9.40 @ 148 mph Fastest Modular blown Falcon in Aus 4180pounds.

XFT F6E Stage III XFT Engine, stage III XFT ZF along with our new XFT Set up precision, quickest FG ZF with a 9.25@150 MPH
Old 15-02-2005, 12:47 PM   #74
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Just lets take the right road and make the post constructive and reasonable

I state again, simple really, most of us havent got 20+ years of drag racing experience under our belts, I just want to have fun, and have a SIMPLE guidline to cover everyone.
Old 15-02-2005, 12:59 PM   #75
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I could not agree more that you will not please everyone, all you can do is try your best. I'm sure that is all you are trying to do. No one is saying your rules are shit, far from it. You may be mistaking other peoples ideas as criticism, not so.
I posted this earlier without much detail. I could add much if most people are interested in everyone competeing. If it's just me and a few others I will not bother and stop confusing an otherwise great idea you have.
Quote:
Here's my ideas so earlier models can play with everyone else on a levelish playing field. Changes for X series or pre 1986 in Red

Performance Street.
All bolt ons allowed.
Must stay N/A.
Must run 98 octane fuel.
Un opened engines.
Engine must be factory fitted or an option. Eg 351 in XD yes 460 in cortina no.
Engines may be modified but no roller cams,stroker cranks or aftermarket heads

Standard manifold, Oversize throttle bodies allowed.
Any single 4 barrel and after market manifold that fits under a standard bonnet. Shakers ok no high rise manifolds tunnel rams multi carbs etc
Tyres, can run changes to equavalent ratings, NO adr or Drags (RWC Standards)
All body parts must stay intact.
No removal of exhaust components.
Aftermarket Exhaust allowed.
Must run Cats.
Where factoy fitted
No body mods allowed or chassis changes.
No Diff Changes
Factory diffs any ratio

I would leave the other classes as they are.
Rods pursuit would be leading the Performance street class as it stands, so it will take mid 12's to be competitive. I don't believe my suggestions go too far, what do others think?

outback_ute you should run the 8 plys and fill BOTH petrol tanks, wear a really big hat over your crash helmet and get one of those canvas water bags for the bullbar, thats closer to stock John :hihi:
Old 15-02-2005, 01:48 PM   #76
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's my ideas so earlier models can play with everyone else on a levelish playing field. Changes for X series or pre 1986 in Red

Performance Street.
All bolt ons allowed.
Must stay N/A.
Must run 98 octane fuel.
Un opened engines.
Engine must be factory fitted or an option. Eg 351 in XD yes 460 in cortina no.
Engines may be modified but no roller cams,stroker cranks or aftermarket heads

Any single 4 barrel and after market manifold that fits under a standard bonnet. Shakers ok no high rise manifolds tunnel rams multi carbs etc
Aftermarket Exhaust allowed.
Must run Cats.
Where factoy fitted
No Diff Changes
Factory diffs any ratio

I would leave the other classes as they are.
Rods pursuit would be leading the Performance street class as it stands, so it will take mid 12's to be competitive. I don't believe my suggestions go too far, what do others think?

outback_ute you should run the 8 plys and fill BOTH petrol tanks, wear a really big hat over your crash helmet and get one of those canvas water bags for the bullbar, thats closer to stock John :hihi:

ahh now see there inlies the next hurdle.. how do we incluse cars times that have run before being scrutneered??not to mention as an example, rods car wouldnt fall into Perfromance street, from memory it has headlights out, comp ta tyres, ect headlights being a body part.

Old 15-02-2005, 02:08 PM   #77
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's being made too complicated, I personally think. Loads of work for someone who probably has something else better to do.

Was there any reason the classes were changed from prior drag events? As that setup was much simpler.

Brenden

Tuned by Hallam Performance
Old 15-02-2005, 04:12 PM   #78
GT 8888
↑↑ USERNAME ↑↑

Are Nitto tyres ( like what Mark has for sale in sig) allowed for in Performance Street....and what does adr / drags mean?

Cheers

Brad

"I wasn't speeding officer...I was qualifying"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347_XR8
If the Grim Reaper drove a car....it would have to be that car!
Old 15-02-2005, 06:34 PM   #79
xdc351
X-Series Club Moderator

Is the proposal that these rules would superseed the F6, F8, etc classes that are currently run at AFF events?
Old 15-02-2005, 06:55 PM   #80
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdc351
Is the proposal that these rules would superseed the F6, F8, etc classes that are currently run at AFF events?
I would assume so Greg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
Old 15-02-2005, 07:25 PM   #81
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
ahh now see there inlies the next hurdle.. how do we incluse cars times that have run before being scrutneered??not to mention as an example, rods car wouldnt fall into Perfromance street, from memory it has headlights out, comp ta tyres, ect headlights being a body part.
Isn't any removal of essential (road license) items considered as not how it is driven on the street .

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
Old 15-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #82
Work Horse
Budget Racer

There is a chance I may have the wrong end of the stick here! (Not the first or last time). I just came across the "Real Street" thread where this idea was born from. Now I understand what you guys are on about. Perhaps if you call these "Dragracing event rules for new Boss powered vehicle" people like me would but out.
Old 15-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #83
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

You carnt grab the wrong end of a stick if its round!

Yep, and No.

This is to cover all classes, but its getting way too heavy.

Simple please guys
Old 15-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #84
klawsterfobik

if i expanded on the points system.. would it be considered?
Old 15-02-2005, 08:57 PM   #85
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
if i expanded on the points system.. would it be considered?

Yes please, it would be appreciated
Old 15-02-2005, 09:29 PM   #86
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-330
from memory it has headlights out, comp ta tyres, ect headlights being a body part.
Headlight was in, globes and front lense was on the driver side floor..
but that is still a modified body part.YES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8888
Are Nitto tyres ( like what Mark has for sale in sig) allowed for in Performance Street....and what does adr / drags mean?

Cheers

Brad
Brad the nitto's in my sig are the 555ZR rated nitto's there a family car tyre and would pass for any RWC..its The 555R rated are the drag radials...
nitto's make many types of tyres all we hear is about there drag radial wich is a 555R..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
Old 15-02-2005, 09:30 PM   #87
klawsterfobik

Points System.

Racing brackets consist of a points system ranging from 0 (stock), to 30 (heavily modified). Points are cumulative, and after everything is added up, you race against cars with similar points total with a variation of 3±. I’ll use the word penalty to describe the points system, because I can’t think of any other appropriate words. So for every mod that you have in a particular group you get the set number of points per item.

Obviously the Points table, points range and the variation between cars racing is open for discussion. As for the diff ratio, if your car has had its diff ratio changed to +.30 of original you will incur 6 points for that.

1 Point
Air Cleaner
Intake Modifications
Spark Plugs
Carburettor Jetting
Timing
Premium Unleaded (unless stated by manufacturer as requirement)

2 Points
Extractors
Exhaust systems
ECU piggy back systems
Carburettor Changes (increased CMF)
Wheels 1inch wider than standard
NON factory tires – Must be road going, everyday tires.
Auto Shift Kits

3 Points
Diff ratio changes, within .25 of original
Cam changes
Intake manifold changes
NON factory tires – DOT approved, but not everyday tires

20 Points
Not being helpful in trying to make a system that is going to be useful and effective for everyone, and undermining the work being done by others, for others to have fun.

Really the rest I have no idea, as im not really up to speed with what kind of effect certain mods will have on performance… Im just really trying to set up an alternative so that someone running a different set of tires isn’t relegated to a bracket where they cant see themselves being competitive against their competitors. Even if it is only for fun, seeing yourself being beaten isn’t fun.

As for lightening, 1 point per kilo sounds reasonable. I was also thinking of adding .5 to mods that could have been performed by yourself, but had a professional do.. but didnt think that it would benefit anyone.

It makes sense to me. What do you think?

Last edited by klawsterfobik; 15-02-2005 at 09:33 PM.
Old 15-02-2005, 10:35 PM   #88
Xtreme F6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawsterfobik
Points System.

Racing brackets consist of a points system ranging from 0 (stock), to 30 (heavily modified). Points are cumulative, and after everything is added up, you race against cars with similar points total with a variation of 3±. I’ll use the word penalty to describe the points system, because I can’t think of any other appropriate words. So for every mod that you have in a particular group you get the set number of points per item.

Obviously the Points table, points range and the variation between cars racing is open for discussion. As for the diff ratio, if your car has had its diff ratio changed to +.30 of original you will incur 6 points for that.

1 Point
Air Cleaner
Intake Modifications
Spark Plugs
Carburettor Jetting
Timing
Premium Unleaded (unless stated by manufacturer as requirement)

2 Points
Extractors
Exhaust systems
ECU piggy back systems
Carburettor Changes (increased CMF)
Wheels 1inch wider than standard
NON factory tires – Must be road going, everyday tires.
Auto Shift Kits

3 Points
Diff ratio changes, within .25 of original
Cam changes
Intake manifold changes
NON factory tires – DOT approved, but not everyday tires

20 Points
Not being helpful in trying to make a system that is going to be useful and effective for everyone, and undermining the work being done by others, for others to have fun.

Really the rest I have no idea, as im not really up to speed with what kind of effect certain mods will have on performance… Im just really trying to set up an alternative so that someone running a different set of tires isn’t relegated to a bracket where they cant see themselves being competitive against their competitors. Even if it is only for fun, seeing yourself being beaten isn’t fun.

As for lightening, 1 point per kilo sounds reasonable. I was also thinking of adding .5 to mods that could have been performed by yourself, but had a professional do.. but didnt think that it would benefit anyone.

It makes sense to me. What do you think?

I like this points stuff in some instances but where it gets hard for the older vehicles(This is why i wanted a sepeate class) as its pretty much impossible to check jets ect ect .. even diff ratios its a bit hard.

I think its all just getting to hard.

Last edited by Laminge; 15-02-2005 at 10:44 PM.
Old 15-02-2005, 10:41 PM   #89
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

give me 5 mins i've worked out something that i think might work
Old 15-02-2005, 11:03 PM   #90
Fordy
EMC-Benzenes Detailing

This is just for the v8's atm, it still might need some cleaning up but i reckon its close.

Factory Stock.
Cars are to be run as purchased.
No mods with standard tyres.
Tyres can be replaced with same tyre equivalent.

Performance Street.
All bolt ons allowed incl chip, edit or other
Must stay N/A.
Must run 98 octane fuel.
Un opened engines.
Aftermarket Exhaust allowed
Must run Cats.
No Diff/ratio change

Modified Street.
Street slicks and wider tyres allowed.
No Cubic Engine changes in this section other than standard rebuild which retain stock internals.
Cam Changes allowed
Diff Changes allowed
Aftermarket Exhaust allowed
Must run Cats.
Must run 98 octane fuel.
Manifold change allowed
Carby/injector change allowed
Shift kit allowed

Pro Street
Body mods allowed eg headlight, tailgates..
Full race slicks allowed
Cubic inch change allowed
Any exhaust allowed
Race fuel allowed
Open engine
Cam change
Diff/ratio change
Any engine, trans, diff combo allowed as long as its from the same facory, eg top loader into EB, yes, chev into te cortina, no.

Outlaw Street.
All mechanical restrictions removed.
No chassis changes
All forms of power adders allowed. (Turbo’s S/C NO2).