Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-03-2024, 09:11 PM   #31
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 
Default Re: travel to Queensland

There has been lots of road closures for flooding out West, while flooding will be gone by August, the roadworks and interstate caravanners will be out holding things up as usual.

All those outback roads are small barely 2 lanes wide with not much shoulder and very few towns/facilities...even IN the towns...lol.

As far as trouble...you can find that anywhere. Thousands of backpackers and grey nomads sleep in parking bays all the time...in fact you will probably have trouble getting a spot to stay rather than worry about being murdered in your sleep.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-03-2024, 09:37 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm not sure why people don't like driving in Sydney, its one of the better capital cities to drive around with other people on the roads, they're way better behaved than Melbourne and Adelaide drivers for sure.

Plus tunnels/freeways everywhere to get you around the joint.
Done a bit of driving in and around Sydney over the years with no issue, but on last visit I decided to use public transport instead of car and must say no other Australian city come near them for excellent transport service.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2024, 09:27 AM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Prydey, do you have a regular place to stay in WW? .
We normally stay at the colonial motor inn. Nothing fancy, just a bed for the night. Last motel before leaving town when heading south.

If you do decide you can make it to Parkes, highly recommend Bushman's motel. Stayed there twice and the rates are low, rooms are nice and the bathrooms are quite modern. Made a nice change from most motels that don't look like they've been updated since they were built in the 70's!

Stayed at a couple of places at Goondiwindi as well. The country roads motel next to the maccas on the main hwy is pretty nice.
Old 05-03-2024, 12:46 PM   #34
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
OBVIOUSLY YOU'VE NEVER BIN TO YAP-HOON
Correct, I haven't. Without derailing the thread, here's my thought process behind Hervey Bay:
  • 3.5 hours drive to Brisbane CBD. I'm getting older and not too unreasonable to think I may need more medical services as the years progress. 3.5 hours each way is manageable (about the same as what I do now to Melbourne CBD).
  • I will most likely only be working part time, and would like to get into low-needs NDIS support work. The population size is about right to have NDIS client availability
  • I can afford a decent place there
  • It is serviced by an airport that provides flights to Brisbane, Sydney and shortly Melbourne, I believe.
  • It has a much more palatable clime for me than south-east Vicco!

So, on paper at least, it looks ideal. That's why a visit is important. Gotta check it out in persaon.

Quote:
HV to McK try 10 hrs, same to Cairns 'cos Qld roads
My times were according to google, which I have found to be on the conservatove side. But I'll take your first-hand experience on board and allow a little extra time just to be sure. Thanks, Cav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
We normally stay at the colonial motor inn. Nothing fancy, just a bed for the night. Last motel before leaving town when heading south.

Stayed at a couple of places at Goondiwindi as well. The country roads motel next to the maccas on the main hwy is pretty nice.
Did look at the Colonial. What I like about the Palms is that it is off the highway. I'm a light sleeper and truck noise wakes me up. Also has a slightly better review rating than the Colonial, but I do take those reviews with a grain of salt.

Staying at The Townhouse in Goondi. Again, off the highway (altho on the main street) so hoping it is relatively quiet.

As you say, place doesn't need to be fancy, just a comfortable place to lay the head down overnight and get a quick swim in after a day on the road.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-03-2024, 12:59 PM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Did look at the Colonial. What I like about the Palms is that it is off the highway. I'm a light sleeper and truck noise wakes me up. Also has a slightly better review rating than the Colonial, but I do take those reviews with a grain of salt.

Staying at The Townhouse in Goondi. Again, off the highway (altho on the main street) so hoping it is relatively quiet.

As you say, place doesn't need to be fancy, just a comfortable place to lay the head down overnight and get a quick swim in after a day on the road.
I've stayed at a few places and there's not many that I say I'll never go back to. Most aren't anything to rave about but it's just a room for the night. When I look at reviews it makes me question people's expectations.

The mid western isn't as big a truck route as the newell etc, and WW has heavy vehicle bypass so truck noise is pretty minimal.
Old 05-03-2024, 04:52 PM   #36
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Macintyre Motel Goondiwindi is just off the main street, good Chinese restaurant next door, an excellent Thai Restaurant around the corner, and a block away from the Victoria Hotel which also has great meals.

Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2024, 09:35 AM   #37
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Comfort Inn Hervey Bay is quite good, plenty stuff within walking distance

2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2024, 10:28 PM   #38
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Anyone travelled the Newell in the last couple of weeks? Interested in its current condition....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 06-03-2024, 10:50 PM   #39
Swordie

Sounds like it will be a really good road trip. I'd consider how long you want to drive each day and drive in day light to be safe. Broken Hill to Dubbo is nearly 8hrs on Google Maps without breaks.

Mad Max 2 was filmed around Silverton near Broken Hill. That would be a cool place to check out.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2024, 10:55 PM   #40
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Anyone travelled the Newell in the last couple of weeks? Interested in its current condition....
Have you got dentures ?
Old 06-03-2024, 11:11 PM   #41
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
The Capricorn Resort is a little north of Yeppoon, you can't fit a golf course at Cav's favourite cafe by the lagoon!
So, I have been sitting here the last few days trying to solve the puzzle of Cav's favourite cafe and where he parks the AUII Forte. It has me completely stumped.

If the AUII Forte is parked outside the cafe, then, it being a chick magnet, will be covered in chicks when it comes time for Cav to leave. However, if he parks the AUII Forte at a car park down the road, then the AUII Forte will still have chicks hanging around it.

So, does Cav walk everywhere and leave the AUII Forte at home?

BTW, if one is making the trip up to QLD, then one should detour by Yeppoon to marvel at the AUII Forte.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2024, 11:24 PM   #42
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
So, I have been sitting here the last few days trying to solve the puzzle of Cav's favourite cafe and where he parks the AUII Forte. It has me completely stumped.

If the AUII Forte is parked outside the cafe, then, it being a chick magnet, will be covered in chicks when it comes time for Cav to leave. However, if he parks the AUII Forte at a car park down the road, then the AUII Forte will still have chicks hanging around it.

BTW, if one is making the trip up to QLD, then one should detour by Yeppoon to marvel at the AUII Forte.
Cav walk????? Pfffffffftttttt!!!!!

I met him in Toowoomba, and walked to find coffee & cake. He asked if I always walked so fast. So I slowed my stroll to an amble.

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2024, 06:59 AM   #43
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Have you got dentures ?
Not yet..... but it sounds like I'll need to put extra effort in ensuring I don't get caught with my tongue between my teeth and leave the jaw closed the entire trip.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 07-03-2024, 10:08 AM   #44
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:

The MIGHTY AUII Forte!

Git down and gimme 20!

2 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2024, 10:10 AM   #45
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Newell isn't that bad, was on it couple of months back.
Maybe its the kind of vehicle used.
Tyre pressures and a load generally smooths over the bumps.
I was in my hilux 4x4 half loaded felt fine - only pain is roadworks here and there but alot has been improved.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2024, 10:11 AM   #46
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Stubing View Post
Cav walk????? Pfffffffftttttt!!!!!

I met him in Toowoomba, and walked to find coffee & cake. He asked if I always walked so fast. So I slowed my stroll to an amble.
People sometimes forget I am a disabled Vietnam War hero, it wuz me who put my body on the line to win the Vietnam War, single handed of course.

You cretin!
3 users like this post:
Old 07-03-2024, 10:15 AM   #47
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
People sometimes forget I am a disabled
No, we call that fat ............

But in saying that, you have supported the Australian Economy with your eating habits.............
5 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 09:35 AM   #48
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Off to ballarat today for the red hot summer tour concert tomorrow, then starting our trip north on Sunday.

Any suggestions of good places to eat in ww, goondi, hervey bay and mackay? And no, maccas or kfc doesn't fit the bill.....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 15-03-2024, 07:35 PM   #49
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another option to break the trip in SW NSW would be Temora. Its a nice quite town but has the Warbird Museum which is worth a look, even if not for a fly day. The workshops are clinical in their cleanliness and open to viewing. Where else will you see a Merlin engine stripped to pieces?
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-03-2024, 08:38 PM   #50
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRU842 View Post
Another option to break the trip in SW NSW would be Temora. Its a nice quite town but has the Warbird Museum which is worth a look, even if not for a fly day. The workshops are clinical in their cleanliness and open to viewing. Where else will you see a Merlin engine stripped to pieces?
Was there last week. But a bit disappointed in their display, but have to remember that the aircraft are mostly privately owned and in flying condition, not static displays as with other museums.
If ..... you do get to Temora, you can easily spend a day looking around the Rural Museum. You will see stuff there that will bring back memories of last century and your childhood, if you are country bloke.

Like looking at car museums ?
McPheeters at Forbes is excellent with all types and makes in mint condition.

Toowoomba ....... Cobb and Co Museum for transport stuff before cars, and best iced coffee, ever.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2024, 08:48 PM   #51
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Perhaps even going one step further and going via Sydney and Brisbane. It picks up the four lane highway just north of Tarcutta (NSW). From there, it is four lanes all the way through to Gympie (QLD). That is nearly 1500 km of divided carriageway. The only issue is navigating the madness through the back of Sydney (M7-M2-M1) and the stupid around the back of the Gold Coast. .
If you want to get there quick, that is the way.
But for a more relaxed, take your time trip, stick to the Newell H'way. The smaller country towns on the way are friendly and better feeds that Macca's, etc.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-03-2024, 10:31 AM   #52
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
I'd carry on to Parkes myself if I was heading that way rather than West Wyalong. Try the Roasted Kombi Cafe in Parkes for a great bacon and egg roll.
Great choice, naddis! That was yummo and very filling! Keep me going all day

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

4 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2024, 09:55 AM   #53
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Road between goondi and moonie is shocking! Especially the first bit of the a5 where it leaves the Newell and billa billa. Was doing 20km/h and still scraped the bottom of the car on the bitumen peaks!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 19-03-2024 at 10:06 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 19-03-2024, 04:35 PM   #54
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Road between goondi and moonie is shocking! Especially the first bit of the a5 where it leaves the Newell and billa billa. Was doing 20km/h and still scraped the bottom of the car on the bitumen peaks!
Taxpayers are saving up to pay $3.2B for a new Olympic Stadium and other facilities that will only get used for two weeks in 2032.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 10:56 AM   #55
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Made it into cairns yesterday arvo. Big trip, but enjoyable.

Very impressed with the daughters little car, a mazda CX3. Performed very well. No mechanical issues to speak of and rough estimate is between $400 to $450 in fuel costs from sale, via ballarat. That's with two adults and car loaded up with all my daughters gear.

Time to relax for a bit now before flying home next weekend.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 users like this post:
Old 22-03-2024, 11:19 AM   #56
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Good result. I remember travelling to Port Douglas in a Renault 16, (fair go, this was the seventies) and it was a solid haul back then.

Big increase to the CX-3 insurance premium with change of location?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-03-2024, 10:26 AM   #57
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Not sure, tbh, cb. The daughters only on a "working holiday" atm.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~