Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2024, 05:32 PM   #61
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: So; do we all feel dirty?

Unless it is charged solely from a solar source all you’re doing using an EV is changing where the pollution is coming from and in Australia that will be mostly from a very dirty coal burning power station. And then there all the social and environmental issues around the disposal and manufacture of the EV's batteries.
Old 27-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #62
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
Unless it is charged solely from a solar source all you’re doing using an EV is changing where the pollution is coming from and in Australia that will be mostly from a very dirty coal burning power station. And then there all the social and environmental issues around the disposal and manufacture of the EV's batteries.
Its still cleaner from an emissions standpoint to charge an EV from a brown coal power plant than use diesel to move the wheels of a car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 05:34 PM   #63
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I've done the maths in other threads. Even off pure coal (which the grid isn't anymore), you will reduce by half the emissions charging from coal vs fuel
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 05:37 PM   #64
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
My comment is that the technology is there for it to work.
100% the technology is there and its only going to get better, its just prices are still reflecting the r&d.

Tangent/sidenote. The teslta cybertruck.... how do you get stuff out the front of the back of that thing with its whacky triange design. Also what do you do if you want to put an ally tray on the back or a service body?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 05:39 PM   #65
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

At work the other day noticed that the installation I was working at near a housing estate, local voltage was at 252V, which is right on the upper spec of the standards (253V)

Must be from solar input from the housing estate, so there's a lot of excess energy being generated during the day that could go into people working from home EVs - there's a reason FIT is so low these days and its because energy during the day is basically worthless because there's shitloads of it and not overly much demand for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
100% the technology is there and its only going to get better, its just prices are still reflecting the r&d.

Tangent/sidenote. The teslta cybertruck.... how do you get stuff out the front of the back of that thing with its whacky triange design. Also what do you do if you want to put an ally tray on the back or a service body?
Its not a work vehicle, just like 70% of the Ford Rangers on the road in Melbourne
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 05:46 PM   #66
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
At work the other day noticed that the installation I was working at near a housing estate, local voltage was at 252V, which is right on the upper spec of the standards (253V)

Must be from solar input from the housing estate, so there's a lot of excess energy being generated during the day that could go into people working from home EVs - there's a reason FIT is so low these days and its because energy during the day is basically worthless because there's shitloads of it and not overly much demand for it.
Back in 2006 when i bought my 1st multimeter our house was 1st from the pole mount tranny, it was 252v. Nothing wrong there. As 3000 says 230 these days, but its still typically 240. The forward at the front of the as3000 says somewhere that its an adaption of uk and irish standards or something.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 05:51 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Back in 2006 when i bought my 1st multimeter our house was 1st from the pole mount tranny, it was 252v. Nothing wrong there. As 3000 says 230 these days, but its still typically 240. The forward at the front of the as3000 says somewhere that its an adaption of uk and irish standards or something.
Yep, nothing wrong there, but once it goes over this happens to your solar panels:

Which means during the peak solar window, your solar panels do absolutely nothing, because grid voltage is too high and the inverter cuts their output.

So I'd say having a bunch of people charging EVs in these areas which have peoples solar turning itself off all the time probably isn't going to strain the grid as supply is exceeding demand significantly on a suburb level.
Old 27-02-2024, 07:22 PM   #68
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Simple answer, for me anyway.
No, not i dont.

But i also ride my bike to work
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 07:37 PM   #69
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Yep, nothing wrong there, but once it goes over this happens to your solar panels:

Which means during the peak solar window, your solar panels do absolutely nothing, because grid voltage is too high and the inverter cuts their output.

So I'd say having a bunch of people charging EVs in these areas which have peoples solar turning itself off all the time probably isn't going to strain the grid as supply is exceeding demand significantly on a suburb level.

So there's a comparator in the inverters that checks grid voltage?
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2024, 07:58 PM   #70
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
So there's a comparator in the inverters that checks grid voltage?
Yep, local grid voltage goes too high and then it cuts the output of the solar panels,

The modern inverters ramp down output to try prevent it, but when she goes too high, off goes your solar setup.

Causes issues in some regions too if there's too much solar input to the grid, they'll restrict the amount of solar you can have on your house for a grid feed setup.

Usually I see 230-240V, saw 252V the other day early in the morning, and saw it again today but regional VIC instead of Melbourne suburbia.

Yep its within the standards so its fine, but its right on the edge of the upper limit.

Quote:
As household solar stresses the grid, WA and South Australia will have the power to turn it off

From today, Western Australia will join South Australia in having the authority to turn off household solar systems at times when the electricity network is deemed to be under severe stress.

The regulations follow the runaway demand for rooftop solar in WA, where more than a third of residential and business customers on the state's main grid have an installation.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-...load/100820354

Quote:
Solar curtailment is emerging as a new challenge to overcome as Australia dashes for rooftop solar

Last year saw Australians install rooftop solar like never before, with 40% more installed in 2021 than in 2020. Solar system installations now make up 7% of the energy going into the national electricity grid.

Alongside the greater uptake of utility-scale solar (such as solar farms), this means cheaper and cleaner electricity is fast becoming a reality, putting the country on track to meet international climate targets.

But such a dramatic surge in solar output also poses challenges for Australia’s power system for two main reasons.

It results in increased periods of large oversupply when weather conditions favour solar energy. This leads to energy being wasted due to the need for solar curtailment – when a solar system shuts down or stops exporting energy to the grid to counter the energy spike.
https://theconversation.com/4-ways-t...-prices-173592

Off go your solar panels and you start importing energy from the grid, during the peak solar window on older setups - oops.

It effects some areas way more than others, depends on demand from the local area and the amount of people with solar panels on their houses.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-02-2024 at 08:04 PM.
Old 27-02-2024, 08:21 PM   #71
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

That's all good and well now, but from your experience Mr Cozzo, would the grid as it is now be up to the task of supporting 15 million electric cars?
Old 27-02-2024, 08:30 PM   #72
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post

Looks like a rise to me...
It does look like a rise,but 15mm in 130 years hardly headline,life threatening news.How do they measure it anyway,when every tide is slightly different.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2024, 08:37 PM   #73
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
That's all good and well now, but from your experience Mr Cozzo, would the grid as it is now be up to the task of supporting 15 million electric cars?
Nope, but thats not going to happen in the near future, its not like we're all switching to electric cars by the end of 2024.

The grid as it sits can certainly cope with EVs, the extra load in these areas where everyones solar keeps turning off because of too much solar input and not enough demand in the peak solar window would welcome it I reckon.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 09:20 PM   #74
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
It does look like a rise,but 15mm in 130 years hardly headline,life threatening news.How do they measure it anyway,when every tide is slightly different.
The scale is in *metres*, the rise is 10*cm* in 130 years.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2024, 09:38 PM   #75
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Awesome, so in only 700,000 years I'll have a beach front property, I can't wait
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 09:39 PM   #76
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Awesome, so in 700,000 years I'll have a beach front property, can't wait.
I bought in the Hills for this reason too. Many generations from now they can enjoy the beach at home
2 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 09:54 PM   #77
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
I bought in the Hills for this reason too. Many generations from now they can enjoy the beach at home

Your Hills is pretty, Franco's hills have, well, Franco
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 12:58 AM   #78
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Nope, but thats not going to happen in the near future, its not like we're all switching to electric cars by the end of 2024.

The grid as it sits can certainly cope with EVs, the extra load in these areas where everyones solar keeps turning off because of too much solar input and not enough demand in the peak solar window would welcome it I reckon.
So much solar during the day that some providers are offering free power during the middle of the day. You're spot on that we are producing so much they just don't know how to use it all
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 01:19 AM   #79
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’m quite accepting of the likelihood that widespread enthusiasm for cars as machines, will probably end in my lifetime. I don’t own them as investments but as tools, distractions and things to enjoy using. I’m less accepting of the idea that duration and scope of my enthusiasm may be foreshortened by blanket policies.

(Much like cars, I think many musical implements will soon enough fade rapidly from common use. People will interface with AI to generate stuff they want to hear - why waste hours practicing scales and repertory on a cello or trombone? This will also stop the wasteful production of many lesser grade instruments.)
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 01:24 AM   #80
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I’m quite accepting of the likelihood that widespread enthusiasm for cars as machines, will probably end in my lifetime. I don’t own them as investments but as tools, distractions and things to enjoy using. I’m less accepting of the idea that duration and scope of my enthusiasm may be foreshortened by blanket policies.

(Much like cars, I think many musical implements will soon enough fade rapidly from common use. People will interface with AI to generate stuff they want to hear - why waste hours practicing scales and repertory on a cello or trombone? This will also stop the wasteful production of many lesser grade instruments.)
With my GTF, I feel that my kid will look at it and me as a social pariah for owing it when she's old enough to drive it. Though with fuel today at $2.55 a litre, I don't think I'll be driving it much by then either.
Old 28-02-2024, 05:34 AM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
With my GTF, I feel that my kid will look at it and me as a social pariah for owing it when she's old enough to drive it. Though with fuel today at $2.55 a litre, I don't think I'll be driving it much by then either.
Getting driven to school in the GTF will be the equivalent of Mum doing the school run in her pyjamas with no makeup and a smoke hanging out her mouth
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 08:19 AM   #82
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Getting driven to school in the GTF will be the equivalent of Mum doing the school run in her pyjamas with no makeup and a smoke hanging out her mouth
And then a boob flops out as she runs to little Timmy to give him his cut lunch he left in the car
Old 28-02-2024, 09:29 AM   #83
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

The earth is flat!
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2024, 11:41 AM   #84
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
The earth is flat!
Hence why we don't fall to the right side of the plane when we fly to NZ.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2024, 01:22 PM   #85
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
10cm = 100mm = 4 inches in 130 years !! Hardly a "climate emergency".

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2024, 01:25 PM   #86
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
10cm = 100mm = 4 inches in 130 years !! Hardly a "climate emergency".

Dr Terry
If only it was linear
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 02:25 PM   #87
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sea level rise in last 20,000 years, 2nd chart shows much larger rises than today 18,000 years ago to 8,000 years ago - particularly meltwater pulse 1A which was that 13,000 years ago approxmately...

https://www.e-education.psu.edu/earth107/node/1506

...which correlates with many of the worldwide end of the world myths

Most of that huge rise is the coming of the interglacial period, so that means many of our ancestors' settlements are about 400ft under water now. Again, so many legends of the seas swallowing the land whether that be off the Sunshine Coast or beyond Land's End or anywhere else. It is likely that the Laurentide ice sheet collapsed, for varying hypothesis why it did. My favourite is Randall Carlson's* one, imagine 100m deep of water moving at 160km/h over about 2 weeks over an enormous area - it left the scars on the NW US landscape you can still see today...

This doesn't take away from today's sea level rises, as the oceans expand (and locally, as land falls away in areas). The oceans are absorbing much of the CO2 and they are a huge system with many feedback loops.

* here are a couple of the links, blows you away to think it could all happen so suddenly if you have enough water to do it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaHO00ISseY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqpnDMBBSGE
Old 02-03-2024, 04:19 PM   #88
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I don’t think that anybody who has even a rudimentary understanding of science can really believe that climate change is not happening and that it’s not and issue for all humanity.

No one has ever claimed that climate is not changing, it has done so for around 4.5 billion of years. Man made climate change is another story.

It's pretty hard to believe anything that we can do will cause any major changes in climate.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: