Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-02-2024, 10:53 AM   #31
ToryMikey

Default Re: Vale affordable family wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The very first car I drove was an white EB II Falcon GLi wagon with the 4.0 engine and BTR.

I was around 12 or 13 at the time, so about 1999/2000, and the car had about 240,000 km on the clock and pretty tired. I didn't care though, it was a car and I was driving it!

Dad would let me drive around the workshop yard on Saturday mornings, then he would take me way out way to learn on dirt roads. A live axle, low end torque and gravel roads..................

Seriously though, I learnt to drive before any of my mates, sort of got the hooning out of my system before getting my license. Sadly, my birthday is in late December, so I didn't get my license while still at school.

But that Falcon wagon sort of cemented me as a Ford man. The car was my father's company vehicle.............. or rolling smoko room. It's at this point where I became aware that my father and I are very far apart when it comes to cars. For him, they are an appliance or necessity. For me, they are an obsession. As such, he didn't care that the old Falcon had a collapsed drivers seat, that the brakes were shot, that it would occasionally have that hideous fan belt squeal, that interior was ALWAYS filthy with empty soft drink bottles and scrunched up pie wrappers.

The Falcon would eventually be traded in on a brand-new BA Falcon in 2003..............guess who made that choice The EB II was sent to wreckers with a busted gearbox, the BA became my mother's car and the first-gen Subaru Forrester then became my Dad's car.

I always hated that Subaru by the way. As a growing teen, the backseat leg room was woefully inadequate and the seats themselves rock hard and uncomfortable. I always preferred the Falcon from a back seat perspective, those seats were sooooo comfortable and the leg room exceptional. And the big 4.0 would cruise or overtake much easier than the asthmatic 92 kW boxer in the Subaru.

And so, we arrive at the point of a wagon............they are just better family cars than a SUV. They drive better, are better packaged, cheaper to run and service.
Funny that you mentioned that Subaru story. My extended family always had local Fords (because of course they did) with the occasional Euro mixed in, usually a BMW 3 series.

I would ride in friends' Japanese cars as a child and feel they were...a bit substandard. Even at primary school age. Cheap and chintzy interiors, uncomfortable seats as you say, and noisy! I know it's a bit of a meme to bang on about cheap feeling doors but it's absolutely true. Compare a similarly aged Falcon to the Forester's door shut sound, and you will know what I mean.

Why would I want to ride in a Forester when I could sink into the velour of an NF Fairlane?

Agree 10000% regarding wagons vs SUVs.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2024, 06:23 PM   #32
IanC

I have a 2003 BA wagon that I bought in 2005 with 40,000km on the clock. It is now up to 250,000 and still my daily driver. I got it put onto dual fuel LPG in 2007. It is a lovely drive. Really comfortable and powerful. Heaps of space in the back and I have used that space regularly. If they were still making them I would buy a new one tomorrow.
IanC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2024, 06:35 PM   #33
.:4:.
Kicking back

The diesel genny mob i worked with before had a fleet of b series gas wagons. The company owner said to me once that he will not replace them untill someone makes a better car. He did end up replacing a few with territory's as they were sort of the same. One of his staff bought his ba ex work wagon for $300 from the company. Yeah it had 700,000kms on it, but they maintained their fleet well. As in if the drivers seat was worn it got replaced, same with steering wheel and anything mechanical.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-02-2024, 11:15 PM   #34
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This post popped up on a Valiant page Im on.
Fast forward to the 2020s and males who cannot change a tyre drop $70k + on a Thai special to carry the same sized thing once in a blue moon. Because a thai special is just so practical.

Talk of E series, my old EF GLi I owned back in my early 20s. It went on the road as a Hertz rental with dealer fitted 3rd row making it a 9 seater.
I’m guessing this may have been common back in the 1990s as unlike now there weren’t many cars that could seat more than 5?
The AUs are the height of Falcon wagons (IMO), but this was a good **** cruiser.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 12:35 PM   #35
minheim

We had a 1981 sigma se wagon in the mid 1980s. It came with the 2.6 litre engine and auto box. Was a great mid size wagon. We did quite a few kms in it and when we traded it in in 1990 still drove smoothly and the dealer commented on how smooth the transmission was. You could fit quite a bit in the rear and being an SE it was quite well kitted out in the day. It was replaced by a one year old VN commodore and I remember the shock I got the first time I hit the accelerator for a quick pass of a caravan on the highway. The commodore really took off compared to the sigma. The sigma however was still a great car for interstate trips.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 03:11 PM   #36
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by willo56 View Post
Had to be the EL Falcon Wagon - such a good looking roomy car with a modern and comfy interior for the time...
Yes - and another massive wagon bonus, you could get them with bench seat/column shift configurations! Still seat 3 and have the whole back down.

Last Holden with this config was VSII, and last Ford was AUIII I think.
Old 27-02-2024, 03:19 PM   #37
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The wagon legend continues as one of my young ones takes the VY wagon to uni now on the other side of the country. We've done quite a few Great Southern drives in it and he loves how cruisey it is, and he unashamedly will drive like a Grampa because that's his personality! He's hanging to take it up to see family on a midwest run, something I did so much in the Kingswood and Fairmont wagons. I've taught him my old cruisey way to uni where you just get to coast rather than stop/start incessantly. Day 1 question was 'where is the cigarette lighter?' for the charging of phone and bluetooth music through the original stereo - for some reason GM-H hid it in the centre console.
Old 27-02-2024, 04:29 PM   #38
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Day 1 question was 'where is the cigarette lighter?' for the charging of phone and bluetooth music through the original stereo - for some reason GM-H hid it in the centre console.
Commodores VT onwards had no cigarette lighters or ashtrays. The socket in the centre console is a "12V power outlet". Its centre terminal is slightly different & won't hold a cig lighter element.

There is a cig lighter & ashtray kit available as an accessory kit.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 10:11 PM   #39
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Dr Terry, that would explain the trouble he was having looking for a ciggie lighter!
Old 27-02-2024, 10:16 PM   #40
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been seeing a fair few Golf wagons down here for commuters who work in town, they look pretty smart and must be about the size of an EH wagon...

Ah, it has recently been axed as well, and was about 41K before onroads. The wagon genocide continues.

What about the Suby Outback - anyone consider that to be a 'wagon'? It's super comfy in the seats in the top spec trim.

And the WRX wagon remains as well, as proxy for today's 4th Gen Liberty wagon, but it's a different theme.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:18 PM   #41
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

ED, EF, EL XR6 wagon

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-02-2024, 10:19 PM   #42
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I've been seeing a fair few Golf wagons down here for commuters who work in town, they look pretty smart and must be about the size of an EH wagon...

Ah, it has recently been axed as well, and was about 41K before onroads. The wagon genocide continues.

What about the Suby Outback - anyone consider that to be a 'wagon'? It's super comfy in the seats in the top spec trim.

And the WRX wagon remains as well, as proxy for today's 4th Gen Liberty wagon, but it's a different theme.
Subaru WRX wagon would be good but its AIDS-on-wheels CVT only - no manual and no proper auto gearbox (torque converter).

Outback is for rug munchers and shirt lifters.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2024, 10:27 PM   #43
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Subaru WRX wagon would be good but its AIDS-on-wheels CVT only - no manual and no proper auto gearbox (torque converter).

Yup and exactly the reason why I didn't consider one.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:28 PM   #44
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
ED, EF, EL XR6 wagon
Now THAT...that is a piece of art right there. Ford really got it so right.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:32 PM   #45
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
ED, EF, EL XR6 wagon
If I came across an ED Classic wagon with those mint 10 spoke alloys in one of the darker colours like Poly Green, I'd buy it immediately. Classic shape and pack.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:33 PM   #46
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Paying money for and CVT in the same sentence, it's hard.
Old 27-02-2024, 10:42 PM   #47
ToryMikey

Quote:
If I came across an ED Classic wagon with those mint 10 spoke alloys in one of the darker colours like Poly Green, I'd buy it immediately. Classic shape and pack.
10 spoke alloys? You mean these?

Excuse the undone tonneau loop
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 10:20 AM   #48
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToryMikey View Post

People have all sorts of exotics on their bucket lists, for me a manual example of one of these is more than enough

Oh and I rock a wagon as a daily, factory dual fuel FTW.
fatgas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 11:25 AM   #49
ToryMikey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatgas View Post
People have all sorts of exotics on their bucket lists, for me a manual example of one of these is more than enough

I'm happy to let you know it very much is manual
Old 28-02-2024, 11:55 AM   #50
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
I'm happy to let you know it very much is manual

Damn ewe.

Old 28-02-2024, 02:45 PM   #51
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I think you are not too far off, but those may be the XR6 version. I'll find a pic

These mags, always loved them, they appear to be 16 individual spokes when I just counted them:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie...rts/9529187400

We had a white ED Classic sedan (2nd hand, 50,000km) when our kids were little - still one of the best cars I've ever owned. Got ED Sprint now.
Old 28-02-2024, 02:47 PM   #52
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Panel van of it with column auto and bench seat is on the list here.
Old 28-02-2024, 08:10 PM   #53
ToryMikey

Quote:
I think you are not too far off, but those may be the XR6 version. I'll find a pic

These mags, always loved them, they appear to be 16 individual spokes when I just counted them:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie...rts/9529187400

We had a white ED Classic sedan (2nd hand, 50,000km) when our kids were little - still one of the best cars I've ever owned. Got ED Sprint now.
Yeah the ones on mine are off an EF XR6. From factory it came with the 14 inch pizza cutters as fitted on the XF S Pack, complete with 88DA date code.

Those Classic wheels are super nice, they made an appearance on some factory optioned GLi/Futuras all the way through EL. Ford were really at the top of their game when it came to E Series styling.

Don't get me wrong, Ford Australia came out with some incredible models before and after, but from EB II to EL the plain old poverty spec models were sitting head and shoulders above any other family car you could get for the price...and even many more expensive cars.
Old 28-02-2024, 08:45 PM   #54
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
Panel van of it with column auto and bench seat is on the list here.

I went and saw a 1994 panel van recently where the pics didn't do it any justice; cancer in all the usual places and then some. I can't be arrsed with a full blown project anymore.
3 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 09:03 PM   #55
ToryMikey

Quote:
I went and saw a 1994 panel van recently where the pics didn't do it any justice; cancer in all the usual places and then some. I can't be arrsed with a full blown project anymore.
And that is the reason why I don't own a panel van. Money and space not an issue, the rust in the plenum, roof gutters, sills and beneath the side windows in every example I've inspected definitely is an issue.

Only 100 or so XH manual panel vans were made, and about 160 XG manual panel vans.
Old 28-02-2024, 09:05 PM   #56
fatgas
Purveyor of fine filth

Quote:
And that is the reason why I don't own a panel van. Money and space not an issue, the rust in the plenum, roof gutters, sills and beneath the side windows in every example I've inspected definitely is an issue.

Only 100 or so XH manual panel vans were made, and about 160 XG manual panel vans.

What's interesting is that the utes don't rot out anywhere near as much in the plenum like the vans.
Old 28-02-2024, 09:06 PM   #57
ToryMikey

Quote:
What's interesting is that the utes don't rot out anywhere near as much in the plenum like the vans.
I have to correct my previous XH number, it was 69 manual panel vans. 60 white, 9 red. And yes I agree, and am not sure why. It's pretty hard to find a ute with no sill rust though.
Old 28-02-2024, 09:11 PM   #58
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah the ones on mine are off an EF XR6. From factory it came with the 14 inch pizza cutters as fitted on the XF S Pack, complete with 88DA date code.

Those Classic wheels are super nice, they made an appearance on some factory optioned GLi/Futuras all the way through EL. Ford were really at the top of their game when it came to E Series styling.

Don't get me wrong, Ford Australia came out with some incredible models before and after, but from EB II to EL the plain old poverty spec models were sitting head and shoulders above any other family car you could get for the price...and even many more expensive cars.
Yep and their wagons were cavernous too. I reckon that one and the VT-VZ (thanks to Telstra input in design phase) had the biggest load area of all local wagons. E series being the pinnacle is confirmed by sales figures!
Old 28-02-2024, 09:31 PM   #59
ToryMikey

One for you Sprintey:

Classic by name, classic by nature.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-02-2024, 09:52 PM   #60
Swordie

This looks cool and would sound great.

Last edited by Swordie; 28-02-2024 at 09:58 PM.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: