Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-02-2005, 10:01 PM   #1
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Default New Exhaust

After some time, i finally came to doing my exhaust today and in short im glad i did it and i aint lookin back.
This thing sounds awesome, much better than expected. I had my heart in my hand before i turned the key, really nervous and my mate was with me and said that if it sounded like a fart he'll just **** himself.
But one turn of the key and MMMMMMM

I got a 2 1/4" mandrel bent mild steel exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler and 3" SS tip.

The best i can describe the exhaust is to say its throaty and rumbly, but not too loud, with some poppng and crackling which i wanted, but none of the drone and ricey zing sound thank God!!

Bloody Impressed!!

Tom
chevaps is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2005, 10:45 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Very nice!!! congrats on it so yours is the 2litre focus (zetec?)
how much did the system cost you.
any chance of sound files?
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 02:12 AM   #3
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch_lx
Very nice!!! congrats on it so yours is the 2litre focus (zetec?)
how much did the system cost you.
any chance of sound files?
Nah a 1.8L SR.
Thought id take the gamble and go 2 1/4". I measure the piping myself before i decided, and i noticed it was 2" already, so i thought, meh, might as well go 1/4" bigger, and it really does rev alot nicer, even at low revs. Took it for a good run on the way to indoor soccer tonight.

Cost me $550 all up.

Tom
Old 01-03-2005, 08:33 AM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

yeah you could have probably got away with 2inch mandrel bent, but 2 1/4 should give you more top end power i think?
Have u noticed more power or simply a more open feeling engine, ie. no cork shoved up its ***.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
Suth
Suth

If you don,t mind me asking, what sort of price did they charge? I got a quote for $330 for my zetec.
Suth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 04:04 PM   #6
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

lol he just said 550 ;)
Old 01-03-2005, 07:15 PM   #7
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

I had my Focus done, only a 2 inch system as the 2 1/4 system proved to lose power down low on the dyno, but every engine is different I guess. The rear muffler is really where the system lost its power from factory, once that is gone, it's happy days.

I had the same fears, did not want a tinny ricer sound, so glad I got what I did too. Deep, authoritive, no rasp.

Congrats with it, get a video up with sound! ;) Or least some !!

Tim!
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2005, 11:41 PM   #8
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
If you don,t mind me asking, what sort of price did they charge? I got a quote for $330 for my zetec.
I originally got a quote for $290. $290 was for a Mild Steel, press bent 2 1/4" exhaust with no tip and an el cheapo muffler.

But, what type of pipe u getting:
-Mild Steel or Stainless Steel?
- mandrel bent or press bent
They wont give u a price for a mandrel unless you specifically ask for mandrel.
Also, what muffler u getting??
I asked for a Magnaflow muffler, which alone costs $270.

Add the cost of madrel bent pipe and a 3" SS tip, and also got the piping painted flat black which helps prevent heat disscipation from the pipes. Plus bloody good workmanship on the welds and Top advice.

Does that price include a resonator? I was gona fit a reso too, but he suggested rather than waste my money, see what it sounds like first and then make my choice. Im glad i didnt, coz i like the sound of it as it is now.

Just a question for all youz out there, im thinking, why do some cars sound tinny and ricey, where as someone else with the same type of car has a nice sounding exhaust?? Could it have something to do with the quality of the muffler?? It was thinking of this that i was kinda leaning towards a Magnaflow muffler. It cost extra, but there has to be something better about it... Matting or Packing Material.

Last edited by chevaps; 01-03-2005 at 11:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2005, 11:53 PM   #9
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I had my Focus done, only a 2 inch system as the 2 1/4 system proved to lose power down low on the dyno, but every engine is different I guess. The rear muffler is really where the system lost its power from factory, once that is gone, it's happy days.
Tim!
It honestly feels better down low than before. I went for the 2 1/4" for the sound and more POPPING, not expecting much of a low end torque, but now i notice, with the aircon on, i can actually take off with next to no revs without the car bogging and taking off like a slug, especially on a bit of a hill where as before the car really used to struggle. Even on hills, with next to no revs in 3rd it pulls away alot better than before, and the revs build alot quicker.
But still when really going hard, the car still looses alot of pulling power after 5-5.5k revs, like before i got my exhaust.
But as the bloke at Exhaust Torque said, you can never really tell until you dyno.

Tom
Old 02-03-2005, 12:23 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I went for mid-range to top end, 2 1/4 straight thru with a good flow central muffler and no ressie. 3 inch tip also. Mine is singing at 3,000rpm and screaming at 6,000 with virtually no drop off all the way until around 6,500 when it's time to change. I have some videos to display it in action that have been hidden from the public until now. Guess I'll have to post them up... you want popping and raspiness? Then hold onto your hats...

Right Click here and "Save as"

Last edited by zetec; 02-03-2005 at 01:23 AM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Tom:

You're totally right, a 2 1/4 system will be way better than standard, don't get me wrong. I was not saying it lost torque to the standard system, only to the modified 2 inch system. But they were very close anyway, its all good.

Your satisfaction in the system is most important!

Tim
Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 AM   #12
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
I was not saying it lost torque to the standard system, only to the modified 2 inch system. But they were very close anyway, its all good.
Tim
You can not believe how many times i read over your post on your exhaust before i got mine, trying to work out if you meant that the 2 1/4" piping increased low end torque but was less than a 2" or if it decreased low end torque full stop.
I just assumed what you just quoted and went with the 2 1/4" and it certainly does feel that way.
But like you say as well, at the end of the day, i love it... and thats all that matters.

Tom
Old 02-03-2005, 03:45 AM   #13
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I have some videos to display it in action that have been hidden from the public until now. Guess I'll have to post them up... you want popping and raspiness? Then hold onto your hats...
Haha LMAO, Matt that car got hammered LOL. That should be amongst the trees on the gravel in Mundaring come November, youd be able to hear that 'thing' comin a mile away, up with the likes of the WRC cars when they come wizzing, popping and banging

Tom

Last edited by chevaps; 02-03-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:54 PM   #14
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Tom that is matts car....

Matt that sounds wicked...why hadnt you posted that before???

Russ
Old 03-03-2005, 11:33 PM   #15
Suth
Suth

er umm yeah, thanks mitch. Chevaps-the dude at the exhaust place said 2 galsspack mufflers and a small resonator for $330 and I assume mild steel non mandrel bending. Guess its like anything, you get what you pay for.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:20 PM   #16
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suth
er umm yeah, thanks mitch. Chevaps-the dude at the exhaust place said 2 galsspack mufflers and a small resonator for $330 and I assume mild steel non mandrel bending. Guess its like anything, you get what you pay for.
Yeh, thats the way it is these days.

Rather than pay for it all at once, do what i did. Leave out the reso and a muffler and see how it sounds, if you dont like it, if its too loud, too zingy or whatever, ask to add another muffler, or the reso, or both.

It shouldnt cost extra, im sure most exhaust places would just charge for materials. Just might save you a bit of money in not paying for stuff u dont need and you might get the sound you want as well..

Tom
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #17
Suth
Suth

Am definitley after that almost silent but really deep sound. Not like an 8 or anything, Just deep, smooth, euro sexy noise. Not like everybody elses lancer or jap import or elcheapo or whatever ricey piece of crap the kids like these days.
Old 05-03-2005, 06:39 PM   #18
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Hey there is such thing as Euro Rice... Its what i am working towards!

Russ
Old 05-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #19
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can it be Euro rice? For Euro cars it would be Bratwurst.
Pieoter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-03-2005, 07:08 PM   #20
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Stop scaring me with your intellegennnsts....
Old 05-03-2005, 07:25 PM   #21
Suth
Suth

Russ, too true, risotto is a european dish that is made primarily from rice.....
Old 06-03-2005, 12:39 AM   #22
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

LOL
well why dont we call jap cars RICE.
and Euro cars RISOTTO
Old 06-03-2005, 01:48 AM   #23
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Well our foci's come from germany so we should call them "sauerkraut"
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 AM   #24
WASACL
Phat-Euro

Well that fit on a licence plate?

Russ
Old 06-03-2005, 11:35 AM   #25
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Fiesta means party ;)
gets full hecktic driving a party on wheels.

the venga bus is comming :| (throws up)
Old 06-03-2005, 06:49 PM   #26
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Risotto, now that I like!!! That's awesome!! Risotto burner, sounds exclusive.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:12 PM   #27
chevaps
Zetec Screamer....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
Risotto, now that I like!!! That's awesome!! Risotto burner, sounds exclusive.
It would make a good licence plate. But would anyone apart from us here on the forums get what it means??
Was telling my g/f last nite it would be an orite licence plate, coz im lookin at getting personalised ones, but she thought it was ok because she knew why id use it, but others will prolly think wtf??

Currently imleaning towards R3FOCU5D or just FOCU5D with the possibility of RISOTTO.
If we only got RS's here, if i had one, id go BLURRD... :P
Old 07-03-2005, 01:39 AM   #28
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

There is a Focus here in the NT with the number plates FOCUSED which is pretty cool -- they get to use an extra letter here. Don't have my Focus to pull them over and say ahoy tho :(

Tim