Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 02-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #121
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Sorry for the late reply but been away from the puter for a week.

Well done Geelong but i dont think they won anything.

Unfortunately there is a new hidden stat that is deciding games....unpaid free's.
And as they dont get counted it can be manipulated unlike free's for and against.
The stats from that game showed free's for both sides almost even at the end of the game, but the whistle went away at half time and blatant holding the ball/ incorrect disposal decisions were left unpaid.
When you tackle as well as Stkilda do, holding the ball decisions usually come your way.

Dont believe me, believe Luke Darcy, who stated in the 1HD telecast at the end of the game that it was definately umpired in two halves and that he believed someone spoke to the umpires at half time and told them to let stuff slide.
BTW, he's on the rules commitee, so i think his opinion counts.

Geelong were able to take more chances as holding the ball/incorrect disposal wasn't hurting them as it did early.

Teams have been winning games for years with scoring inaccuracies, all of a sudden it is a big issue.
If I remember correctly, St Kilda got one of the worst holding the ball decisions I've ever seen paid to them when David Wojcinsci was pinged for holding the ball. The second he was tackled he got rid of it, yet he was pinged holding the ball. Sure he had prior op, but then he proceeded to dispose of the ball correctly the instant he was tackled. The player was rewarded just for making the tackle, which IMO is wrong.

The tackle benefited St Kilda in the way that it stopped his run, which gave St Kilda a chance to turn the ball over. It's up to the player under pressure to decide how he reacts, and the decision that he makes is usually the determing factor in whether he's pinged or not. Tackling like any other aspect of the game is a pre requesit. How well you do it determines how good a player you are. But being rewarded just for doing it, negates any benefit of being good or not.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #122
Trevor 57
is now there

Geelong didn't win, St.Kilda lost.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:01 PM   #123
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
Geelong didn't win, St.Kilda lost.

which resulted in Geelong winning ???????

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:04 PM   #124
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
which resulted in Geelong winning ???????
No, it resulted in Geelong given a Grand Final result by a team who can't kick (under pressure) for shlt.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #125
Lane351

St Kilda cant play Grand finals footy too much pressure for them
Lane351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #126
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry that is wrong
if Geelong wernt there putting the pressure on St Kilda, St Kilda would have won
As it is a 2 horse race, Geelong won, St Kilda lost
In the end of the day If St Kilda scored in the last quarter, instead of playing keepings off, they prob would have won, much more to the game than poor kicking at goal
Again, I am no a supporter of either team, was 6 of one, and half a dozen of the other who won in my mind, but being a footy supporter, I say Geelong won
Old 02-10-2009, 02:43 PM   #127
ToxikXR6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane351
St Kilda cant play Grand finals footy too much pressure for them
if they come back next year and play a grand final they will be more prepared for what is expected and the pressure that the other team will be putting on them.

Geelong had that GF experience before, knew what was ahead and prepared in a way they knew was best for them.
ToxikXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #128
peachey80
Nothing stays standard !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Trev
No, it resulted in Geelong given a Grand Final result by a team who can't kick (under pressure) for shlt.
Given it, earnt it, who cares, we still got it. I can't be bothered argueing.
StKilda played very much the same as Geelong last year, and walked away disappointed. As rooey said in his speech, boys, bottle this disappointment up and use it next year as motivation or something to that effect, which I'm certain they will and bounce back hard.
They need to f*@k off milne, he can't kick for shlt under pressure or not.

Chin up and spit out those sour grapes. :

Project Car : XA Coupe : XA Project
peachey80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 03:10 PM   #129
ToxikXR6
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachey80
Given it, earnt it, who cares, we still got it. I can't be bothered argueing.
StKilda played very much the same as Geelong last year, and walked away disappointed. As rooey said in his speech, boys, bottle this disappointment up and use it next year as motivation or something to that effect, which I'm certain they will and bounce back hard.
They need to f*@k off milne, he can't kick for shlt under pressure or not.

Chin up and spit out those sour grapes. :
or as Bomber said "footy sucks sometimes.."

-only for Saints supporters
ToxikXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #130
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
Dont believe me, believe Luke Darcy
i may or may not have agreed with you, but as soon as i read this you lost me
if darcy says it, it is invariably wrong - at least he is a better commentator than footballer - but then he drives race cars better than he commentates
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #131
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lol...carn guys no need to get all uptight.
I'm not a supporter of either team, i just happen to back the underdog when my teams out.
I certainly dont care who was handed the silverware, i just called it how i saw it.
As for Darcy, well im not a fan of his but i think if you get a seat on the rules committee, you should have some idea whats going on.
I seem to remember Wallsy or one of the others agreeing with him though.
I guess they are clueless too?

Hey, IMO Geelong 'deserved' it as they have been the yard stick for 3 years, they have a super list with heaps of experience.
St Kilda was a deer in the spotlights.

What i dont get is this 'great' team thing which is thrown around all too often.
In todays football cycle teams are expected to peak for a 'window' and then rebuild.
Taking advantage of your 'window' does not make a great team, just a successful team.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 12:54 AM   #132
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I wouldn't go on Robert Walls comment, he despises Geelong. Just about everything he says about them is negative.

I don't know what he has against them, maybe something happened when he was coaching Carlton?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #133
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
I wouldn't go on Robert Walls comment, he despises Geelong. Just about everything he says about them is negative.

I don't know what he has against them, maybe something happened when he was coaching Carlton?
Walls hate every team, and is always negative (unless its Carlton). But he talks alot because he was rubbish at being a coach.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #134
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Grandfinal is soooo last weeks news.

Now it is over with.....BRING ON THE DRAG SEASON!!! :
Old 03-10-2009, 11:49 PM   #135
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Walls hate every team, and is always negative (unless its Carlton). But he talks alot because he was rubbish at being a coach.
I wouldn't mind being a Premiership coach...
He got Fitzroy into the finals when they were cash-strapped, as they were so often.
Also, he helped the Bears form a list that wasn't just rejects from other clubs...
Name anybody who has remotely succeeded at Richmond since Francis Bourke in 1982?

Walls was okay...

But he does love Carlton...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #136
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Grandfinal is soooo last weeks news.

Now it is over with.....BRING ON THE DRAG SEASON!!! :
Talk to my Mum when she does the laundry...it's always drag season with my family's undies...

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #137
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
Talk to my Mum when she does the laundry...it's always drag season with my family's undies...
HAHAHAHA!
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post