Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #151
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Went out drinking last night and managed to go with no cigarettes, no cigars.

I feel a bit bad, I did ask a smoker friend for a smoke, luckily she realised it was just the booze and flat out refused to give me one. And at one stage I did mention buying a pack but got dragged away from that idea pretty quickly.

This coming Wednesday will mark 6 weeks. I think I'm going to reward myself with a nice new toy of some sort - maybe some more games for my Megadrive!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #152
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It's good that you have good supportive friends that know you are trying.
There's always the temptation there ... but over time it gets easier to ignore it.

Good on your friends for thinking of you though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 03:10 PM   #153
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I asked for a smoke from the guys I worked with at our break up party.. they rather firmly reminded me that if I did or ever did have a smoke again they would in no uncertain terms belt the puss out of me.. now although thats just words of drunks etc.. its nice to know your mate are there supporting your efforts.

2006 BF XL 5.4 3v 220 Barra V8 1 tonne ute. Auto

2003 TJ Wrangler ready to Rock N Roll.. Auto
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 01:48 PM   #154
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Sorry for the bump but I've now been just over 8 weeks.

8 long, hard, horrible weeks.

No, in all honestly I'm coping pretty well, can even be round smokers now without too much hassle.

Got a program on my PC called Quit Keeper, punch in some basic details like average price per pack and how many you'd smoke each day and how long since you quit and it gives you some interesting stats. So here's mine:

I have been quit for 1 Month, 4 Weeks, 2 Days, 14 hours, 18 minutes and 25 seconds (60 days). I have saved $872.58 by not smoking 1,211 cigarettes. I have saved 4 Days, 4 hours and 55 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 30/05/2012 10:00 PM
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #155
mex351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow there is some really good reading in this thread...Finally a place where it is good to be a quiter...LOL
mex351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #156
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mex351
Wow there is some really good reading in this thread...Finally a place where it is good to be a quiter...LOL
i've been quit since 3pm saturday. yesterday was ok but i have had 4 pieces of nicorette today. struggling to resist the urge to just buy a pack but i want to actually stay quit this time.
crymoarpls is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 04:10 PM   #157
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

keep it up folks .....well worth it in the end......if you fail then just try again

took my wife and I about 4 goes......we were lucky we supported each other

just remember to never stop trying.......the rewards are amazing

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 04:18 PM   #158
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely keep it up! I have had a few of my mates' parents die of lung cancer. It's not pretty. Quitting is the best thing you will ever do
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #159
crymoarpls
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
just remember to never stop trying.......the rewards are amazing
thanks for the encouragement. i never bought a pack today. chewing gum again now. i've tried quitting twice already. let's hope third time's a charm for me!
Old 30-07-2012, 06:31 PM   #160
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just keep it up.....aim for something and try not to think about it

keep telling yourself what a filthy habit it is......anything to keep going

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 30-07-2012, 08:19 PM   #161
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

12 weeks and no smokes.. my new addiction is ECLIPSE MINTS..
Old 30-07-2012, 08:25 PM   #162
Uncle Niceguy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am a smoker and have just recently started buying electric cigarettes, the upfront cost aint cheap but the result is having a smoke without the side effects, plus they even have the smoke come out after a breath like normal, and you just recharge them and replace the filter tip when you run outta flavour.
Uncle Niceguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 08:42 PM   #163
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I'm at 6 months, 10 days 2 hrs 42 minutes. Still feel like a smoke every now and then, but choose not to.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 08:50 PM   #164
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I hated hearing it.. but Im about to say it .. *it does get easier*.....
I still love the smell of a freshly lit smoke.. but Im too scared how Ill feel after having one now to even try haha..

and congratulations to all those who are successful in staying off the smokes..
Old 31-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #165
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

Four weeks today smoke free.
Resurrection is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2012, 09:44 AM   #166
crymoarpls
Banned

good work resurrection! i'm on three days 17 hours 45 minutes. just hanging in there.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #167
xagsjoe
Patience is a virtue

8yrs 7 months clean for me now. Was the best thing I ever did, it wasn't easy as anyone who has kicked the habit will tell you.

Morning coughs so violent they were leading to regular migraine headaches that started affecting my work and social life, it made me READY to quit. I feel that is the main ingredient. If you truly WANT TO QUIT, you will do it easier than thinking 'ahh maybe I should cause I think I can'

I set a date 2 months ahead as the day I would become a NON SMOKER and stuck to it with the aid of patches, as others have said mad crazy dreams on them until I figured to remove them before hitting the sack, 6week later I was patch and ciggy free, the weight gain was a bad side affect but not as dangerous as smoking that's for sure.

I know others have gone cold turkey whilst some need all the help known to man to kick the habit and for anyone considering quitting yes, there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel, I hope it all goes well for the OP, hang tough buddy.
60ft pb 1.365 (24-3-12)
10.173 @ 134.97mph 1/4
6.324 @ 108.93mph 1/8th PB

SOLD
xagsjoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #168
HQ2VY

Thumbs up Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
I'm at 6 months, 10 days 2 hrs 42 minutes. Still feel like a smoke every now and then, but choose not to.
Well done mate.. Keep it up ok?!?!
HQ2VY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #169
pundit
Gazza!

I'm going to give the whole giving up thing a shot once this pouch I'm currently on runs out...

Last time I lasted just over a week cold turkey, then done a 6 hour road trip with a mate, and got bored shitless being a passenger and by the time we got to our destination we caught up with some smoker mates and one thing lead to another. The next day we flew to sydney and I had never flown before and got nervous as all hell, and bought a pack of ciggys on the way to the airport and it was all down hill from there on in. But now I'm at the stage again where I have not much going on that is stressing me out so in the right mind frame to give up the durrys...

I do have a prescription here for champix, but the way I see it is 1) they didn't do much for me last time I tried them apart from send me around the twist, and 2) why substitute one drug for another form of drug.. Doesn't make much sense to me.
11.79 @ 122mph

RIP 2006 - 2017
pundit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:20 PM   #170
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

took me 2 attempts on champix to be successful.. but also there has to be motivation to quit..
mine was not being able to breathe after walking up a few flights of stairs at the washplant with armfuls of tools..
but there needs to be a motivation.. not just a want to quit attitude if you ask my opinion.. otherwise your chances of success as severely decreased...
good luck with each attempt.. each time you do not succeed look at it as if are 1 step closer to being successful.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:36 PM   #171
08XR8

Six weeks for me tomorrow but i am stuck on those bloody Eclipse mints too, same as H.G
08XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #172
G6ET8U
GTX Turbo & KB Blown

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: ALWAYS goes out of his way to help others in need, never posts rubbish only facts he has learnt the hard way or with success in his personal experiance. Takes the time to aid more junior members and overall is a solid contributor to AFF. 

Nearly 5 months for me. Still feel like it from time to time.

The worst time was after 6 days. Desperation set it. I just went to bed and woke the next morning.

Saw a hypnotist and haven't had a drag since.

I've had a heap of things happening in my life since I've had my last one and none have sent me back to have another one.

Just do it. Whether you have another smoke or not isn't going to change the way the world is. Think of it like that

Jack

SNOW WHITE 2004 BA FPV PURSUIT
2.6L Kenne Bell
Brembos all round
Twin Screw Awesomeness

Supported, serviced and tuned by
BLUEPOWER RACING DEVELOPMENTS

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11354744
G6ET8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:25 PM   #173
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

10 weeks here, took an emergency trip to Monash hospital for a heart related matter to snap me out of the addiction. Had a daughter (first born) 2 weeks ago so there is no chance of starting up again
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM   #174
purnong

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
took me 2 attempts on champix to be successful.. but also there has to be motivation to quit..
mine was not being able to breathe after walking up a few flights of stairs at the washplant with armfuls of tools..
but there needs to be a motivation...
Same here, Second go on Champix and have been smoke free for three weeks now and also ditto on the struggling to breath even after the slightest amount of exercise
That was motivation enough for me, I have been smoking for 36 years straight and previous quit attempts didn't last 24 hours and this time I am serious
What I can say is that I feel much much better now I can breath again and I am even sleeping a lot better so it's all positive in my view
The smokes can get stuffed, They have had enough of my health and my money
purnong is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:06 PM   #175
zilo
BANNED

Champix is the way....it's based on an antidepressant compound.

Originally the compound was given to alcoholics to stop alcohol addiction, they all reported the cravings for cigarettes reduced more than the alcohol.

Do not use nicarette etc...all you do is play the addiction game a different way.

Champix will always work but a lot of people are horrified at the price once the "free" PBS subsidised quota is used up....and probably why they fail after 3 months.

Just save the money on cigarettes over the initial 3 months and use it for more champix.

Definitely worked for at least 4 people that i can think of.

18 years this month without a cigarette, smoked for 22 years ..
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2012, 11:09 PM   #176
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

I think Ive already said this.. but I use to spend $100 a week on smokes..
once I quit I went out and bought myself a BF V8 ute.. it costs me $114 per week.
so really its only costing me $14 per week because I was already spending $100 per week on the smokes.. .... it helps with my motivation as well.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #177
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugg
Champix will always work but a lot of people are horrified at the price once the "free" PBS subsidised quota is used up....and probably why they fail after 3 months.
3 Months !! Go with Zyban and you'll stop within a month.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:15 AM   #178
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

do they still use ZYBAN.. last I heard it was killing people who were trying to quit smoking.. but mostly due to the fact they were mixing it with heart medication... I stopped using zyban when it started making me feel sick in the guts all the time.. but it did stop me smoking for the time I was on it.. without craving...
and it use to be that with CHAMPIX you could get it cheap once a year but if you failed and tried again within that time you would have to pay full price.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:32 AM   #179
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done you lot.....and those that have failed today....try again tomorrow just keep going

Old 22-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #180
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Notching up a week today. 5th quit attempt and been smoking 10 years. It's strange but I have barely had a craving at all. Usually I would need a smoke so quickly it wasn't funny but this time it's like I just don't need them at all. I'm stoked at my own willpower, I went out on Thursday night to catch up with old work mates and we sat outside drinking. I was even offered smokes and without batting an eyelid I declined! I'm happy because that was the true test.
I'm seeing the benefits already, namely, more money and I feel better. Things can only go up from here.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: