Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-05-2012, 10:14 AM   #91
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 
Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Hang in there mate, it's all part of the process :( I'm sure the kids will understand Just don't snap at the Missus or you'll be sleeping out in the doghouse, smokeless and freezing
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 11:07 AM   #92
WASP
Whipple Induced

Its ok to fail. What's not ok is giving up on trying to succeed.
Stay the course and you will eventually be successful.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #93
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_el
day 5 and i bloody snapped hardcore at my kids this morning.. i dont think they ever seen me like that before :(
thats one of the things that is very common and one that you must control

just put that one down to experience, explain to the littleys that you didn't mean it and you still love them very much....reassure them that it wont EVER happen again

and be sure it doesn't!

keep going, you're doing well......not easy .....but you've got support everywhere!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #94
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ
Hang in there mate, it's all part of the process :( I'm sure the kids will understand Just don't snap at the Missus or you'll be sleeping out in the doghouse, smokeless and freezing
its all good now i just have to make it up to the kids after school

maybe some pancakes will fix it with the simpsons
Old 14-05-2012, 03:02 PM   #95
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by evl_el
its all good now i just have to make it up to the kids after school

maybe some pancakes will fix it with the simpsons
That'll do the trick.

Keep at it - I reckon your kids, your missus and the people that have viewed your thread are all very proud of you!!! Believe it or not, the hardest part is over - now you just have to keep telling yourself you don't need a smoke and you've actually proven that to yourself by going more than 2 days without one. The physical addiction to nicotine takes 2 days to get over - the rest is just habit and that takes a while to get over.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #96
madwag
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the good work going. i have linked this to a mate in the same situation and this thread helped inspires him to realy commit to the quit

The Daily's Build.
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11349360

Weekender: '69 VW Notchback
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...24#post4531824
madwag is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #97
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by madwag
eat some beans and go for a drive in 30 min.
Stagg chili much better
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 06:11 PM   #98
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

You need to grab a pack of ciggies scrunch it up in-front of your eyes and throw it in the bin. If you can do this you can quit. If you can't and you go searching for that pack you won't be able to quit and you will die from lung cancer.

I gave up cold turkey 3 years ago. Just trained my mind to forget about ciggies. When I remember that I have to have a smoke I took those chewing gums.
Old 17-05-2012, 02:04 PM   #99
chamb0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How's it going mate? Don't forget to keep us updated!
Old 17-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #100
toothless
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

sorry been the stressing over the car with sump trying to get a rubber gasket but yeah im doing fine i haven't had a smoke at all
Old 17-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #101
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good work mate, I'm sure I speek for the rest of us when I say we're proud of ya

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #102
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good stuff.....you're doing well!.....keep going!

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 17-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #103
AU Mont
Banned

hey beleive it or not its EASY !! Just stop buying them, go out heaps and try to enjoy all the things you did before but without a smoke this time. After a couple months youve changed your habits and it feels natural not to smoke

ive been smoking for a similar period of time, similar age, and have 'given' the habit up a few times usually at least one or 2 years at a time. Only reason why i go back to it is because i get bored & just simply feel like taking it up again and forget how much i hated it in the first place.

hmm......... maybe not so easy to give up lol
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2012, 09:25 PM   #104
HQ2VY

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Pretty much same as me. Started at 16, and finally gave up 3 months ago (at 43) with the help of champix. 4 things helped me:

1. Pick a Friday to have your last smoke on - with champix, they recommend you pick a day in the first 10 days of taking the tablets - I went just a little past that, but it still worked. My last smoke was 5pm Friday 20 Jan 2012 (15 days after I first started the tablets).

2. By this stage, you should actually not get any feelings of wanting a smoke, but if you do, then do something that takes a minute or more - I learnt pi to 50 decimal places, and each time I felt like a smoke, I recited pi in my head or wrote it down (3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937 510)

3. Once I got past 2 days without a smoke, I actually then didn't want one because if I had one, then I realised I may as well have smoked for the weekend, and it would be a waste that I didn't, so then I stayed off them, and the longer that went, the more time I wasted not smoking which made me want to not smoke more.......(bit weird, but worked for me)

4. Take all the tablets...................

Good luck!
Well done mate...Welcome to the ex smokers club
HQ2VY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #105
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I know this is a bit of a thread bump, but very relevant.

I myself have been a smoker for about 11-12 years now, those who know me know exactly how much I smoke and how much I enjoy it. I always used to laugh and say crap like "Well, Keith Richards isn't dead yet - can't be that bad for ya".

On Wednesday night I came down with a bit of a virus, and spent Thursday, Friday and most of Saturday bailed up in bed. Without a smoke. Yesterday I was up and about, and still didn't light up.

Today, I'm feeling a lot better, final stages of getting rid of this crappy virus, but as a positive upside to it, I've now been about 4.5 days without a ciggy (last one I reckon was about 9pm Wednesday night).

The issue is, I have smokes left in the pack, that would have just got smoked as usual had I not been struck down ill. And now that I'm better again, I am REALLY urging for one - pretty damn badly actually. Now, as much as I love smoking and all the other garbage - I'm kinda proud I've been this long without one, and need some sort of diversion to get my mind off of wanting one - the longer I can hold out the better. Problem is, its been about 2 hours of craving so far and I really don't know how strong I am or how much longer I can hold out for...
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #106
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I haven't read through the entire thread but if it's not been mentioned before ZYBAN works.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:48 PM   #107
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those that are still trying to kick the habit......we salute you.....keep going you will win eventually

never give up trying to give up.......if you didn't succeed today try again tomorrow

I did it, my wife did it and we have never looked back

hypnotherapy, patches, tablets, chewys......whatever works......you will be the winner in the end!

not easy but not impossible either!

Old 05-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #108
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

So to the OP how is it going? Still smokeless? More importantly, have you seen the doctor yet? If so good news I hope.

I have tried to quit numerous times and succeeded everytime...for three to six months...I used champax everytime, bloody good stuff, only trick is once you quit you still have to finish the full course of the tablets (3 months) and not say 'well I've quit now i dont need to take these anymore'. That's the mistake I keep doing, I'm going to try again in a month or so and this time I won't make that mistake again.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #109
AU Mont
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Problem is, its been about 2 hours of craving so far and I really don't know how strong I am or how much longer I can hold out for...
you may have to hold out for a bit longer, but this definitely helps. Aiming to be fit is great motivation to stay off the ciggies

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOB-HUMAN...-/221022688682

AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #110
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hey evil how about an update?

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #111
Falconxf88

Just bang out a packet of reds in like 15 minutes, 6 or so at a time. Make yourself sick as a dog and you wont want to smoke again hahah.
Falconxf88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #112
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those of you trying to quit, you're doing a good job! Take it day by day, step by step. I've been following this thread and there's a lot of support for you here! You know that saying, "2 steps forward, 1 step back." It might happen and you might take a step back. But shake it off, start over and take the next 2 steps forward and soon when you look back, you'll actually be way ahead from the last time. I may not know what it's like to quit smoking because I am not a smoker (I have asthma), but I know people who have tried to quit or are trying to quit. Whoever you do it for, make sure you do it for yourself too.

I'll apologize now for what I'm going to share. The CDC (Centers for Disease Control) here in the US started a new approach this year to increase awareness of the dangers of smoking. It's a shock campaign. There's been mixed reviews but most can say that it's been startling and to me, it's graphic and shocking to see. I never thought I'd see this on TV. I think it sends a strong message and it's one that can't be ignored.

Take a look. Lmk what you think. Maybe this will help give you that extra nudge to quit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0mF2BJjrEc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEWky9PEroU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zWB4...feature=relmfu
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&fe...&v=OdmI35elnCQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WrWw...endscreen&NR=1

Last edited by NickyN; 05-06-2012 at 09:35 PM.
NickyN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #113
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

As an update to the post I made yesterday (sorry OP to have hijacked).

The craving lasted AGES. But, I somehow (don't ask me how, I really don't know) managed to get through it without lighting up.

I went back to work today (first time in a week since I've been off) and walked in the office, made a coffee, and walked to the balcony door out of habit, wondered what I was doing, turned back around and went back in. I had no intention of smoking, it was just habit to go in, make coffee, attend balcony for smoke.

Today the cravings haven't been as bad, I guess being stuck in the office and not being able to light up apart from designated breaks has helped. I was still "hanging out" for my breaks, but as soon as they started I would make a coffee or have a quick chat instead of heading like The Flash straight to the balcony. I thought a couple of times to myself "I wouldn't mind a smoke", but at no stage was it really "I need a smoke". I think all the nicotine must pretty much be out of my system, its been almost a whole week (tomorrow night marks that landmark); however its the habit that's going to be the hard bit to break now.

Once again, sorry to hijack, it might just do me well to post a daily update though? I feel a lot better without the smokes so far by the way, less "puffed out" when walking up stairs or doing something.

Maybe.... just maybe.... there is hope for me as a non smoker after all!
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #114
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@ Riksta: That's great! Your body's already feeling the positive effects of not having that smoke! Remember that feeling and the feeling of success to get you there.....and yes, there's always hope as long as YOU want it.

That's a big step for you!
Old 05-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #115
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Cheers mate. Like I said somewhere, those who know me would know exactly how much I smoke - I'll have two or three in a row chained, take five minutes to do something then start again. Quite often get the "ANOTHER ONE? ALREADY???" thrown at me because of it.

So to be this long without really is quite an effort, I am proud of myself, but at the same time don't want to make it too well known in my closer circle that I'm "quitting" because if I fail its going to make me cop it a lot worse :\

Thanks for the kind words though, great to know I've got some encouragement around
Quote:
Old 05-06-2012, 09:44 PM   #116
landau460
BA MK2 GT

Keep in mind of your old age and how early you will die. I did that. Smoked 17 years and one night in my mind i told myself it was time i had tried somany times to give up and now i am going to actually give up!
The other thing i said once i gave up, which prior i had always done was not even to have that one smoke. So many times before i had given up and after a few weeks i said to myself ive been good i could have one smoke a sort of reward. But this time those thoughts came over me this time i told myself not to even have that one because a day or two later the next one would be consumed then another one.

I learnt that it is all in the mind i needed to get my head over it. Then i had this feeling this time was differant but i wanted to test myself so i got on the **** that first weekend to see if i would or wouldnt smoke i got that drunk i had ro ask my mates the next day if i had had a smoke i just could not remember and i hadnt.
All these guys and gals quiting good luck ,bloody hell, if i can you can!

p.s my last smoke i had was 25th apeil 2007 and still going

Fords I've owned

80 escort panelvan, 73 Landau, 73 xa fairmont, 74 Landau, 75 Landau, 75xb falcon, 67 falcon, 80 xd falcon, 94 ed falcon, 05 mk2 GT
landau460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 PM   #117
NickyN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@ landau460: You did it! April 25, 2007 is a day you will always remember!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #118
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I for one would be shouting it from the roofs.......the support you will receive from your colleagues will be nothing but beneficial only a fool would knock someone for trying

you will find support everywhere as it is common knowledge now that it's a disgusting habit and one that will probably kill you in the end and is extremely hard to give up

when you take your break just sip on your cuppa, enter your happy place and say to yourself how proud you are of yourself for achieving this milestone...."well done brain" may sound stupid but this is exactly the organ you are doing battle with

do not dwell on the dreaded ciggy's.....don't put them on a pedestal......relegate them to the farthest recesses of your mind that you can.......happy thoughts will quickly replace "me want smoke NOW"!

keep telling yourself what a filthy habit it is and how you enjoy the freedom and extra cash that is now at your disposal, think about a holiday

the health benefits will be kicking in shortly......things will "taste" better....."smell" better......circulation will improve.....exercise becomes easier

there is a little told fact concerning females who give up smoking...... suddenly sex becomes incredible.......if in doubt ask a female reformed smoker

anyway enough of my dribble......

well done to those placing posts "in here" in an effort to give up the dreaded fags and well done to all the folks "out there" reading this to gain strength to give up, keep going

and a big well done for the support freely given by members in an effort to support those trying to give up

congratulations to those who managed to "kick the habit"

Old 13-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #119
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Well, tonight (at around 9pm ish) will be the TWO WEEK mark for me since I last had a smoke.

It is getting easier every day, which is fantastic. Sometimes when standing round talking or washing the car the left hand will dive to the pocket to grab one, then I remember and all is good. I think the Nicotine is finally out of my system, so its not the body craving any more, its more the habit of having one that's got to be broken.

I'm coughing up a lot of crap the last couple of days, but I've heard people say that's normal when you quit. I hope so!

Really want to put out a huge THANK YOU to the AFF community - those who have happily & freely given advice & support (and not only to myself) it really is fantastic. I guess I cheated in the quitting by using my illness as the first step but hey, it worked, and I'm glad

Now to just remain smoke free - like I said though, progressively easier every day!
Quote:
Old 13-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #120
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well done mate......it will get easier every day, you've done the hard yards.....and yep the lungs are cleaning themselves

very happy for you!