Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #271
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

I do it cold turkey. As regulars of AFF know I have an anxiety disorder which I am using Paroxetine to control. Last thing I need is another type of medication to mess with my head. A friend of mine used Champix successfully but he said it gave him weird dreams.

Just one thing to remember - once a smoker, always a smoker. I was off them for nine years then dropped my guard and was back on them. Once you break the habit, NEVER fall into the trap that "i'll just have one". You'll like it, want another and before you know it you are hooked again.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #272
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

I was a smoker for over 20 years, going cold turkey a couple of times, used the patches a couple of times, but the one that really did work was Champix. Yep really vivid dreams were common but i completed the course and haven't looked back, that was about six years ago now.
If you really want to give up, you need to commit to it. Not a half hearted effort, and with the temtation of just having one, just don't have it. That temtation will go away after a couple of minutes. My partner is a long term smoker, so dedicated that when the time comes for her, we'll organise an ash tray to put in the coffin. If your fully committed to giving up, you can do it.
Worked for me anyway.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #273
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Used to smoke 8 to 9 packs of 40s a week - a pack a day on weekdays, then averaged 3 to 4 packs over the weekend (combination of drinking and more 'downtime').

First time I gave up I went cold turkey and lasted nearly 2 years. Wanted to smoke every single day of that near 2 years.

Second (last) time I gave up was probably about 4 years ago now, maybe more. Read somewhere on this forum (maybe this thread) about the book "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr and mentioned to the wife I might give that a go as it was about $30 on Amazon. Came home the next day to find she had grabbed an early copy of it from the local library.

Read most of the book that night - stopped just before the chapter titled "Your Last Cigarette" as I was getting there mentally but was not quite 'there' and did not want to face the following day at work without a smoke (so obviously closer to there but not there).

Finished the book the following evening, never smoked since, and would like to think I never will as it feels different this time. First time I still wanted to smoke but used will-power not to (for as long as I could). This time I no longer want to smoke, no matter what my routine or sobriety, what stress, who I am with, etc. Can get smashed and hang out with chain smokers all night without any urge to join them.

For me I found it to be as the book said - 10% physical, 90% mental. The physical side of things (cravings/withdrawal symptoms) for me was actually not that bad; as the book said, it felt similar to hunger and only lasted about 5 to 7 days. It is the mental want to smoke that needed to be broken for me.

Sure, before the book I used to consciously tell myself that I really wanted to give up, (and consciously I really, really did), but I still had it programmed in my subconscious. Basically the book reprogrammed my subconscious so that mentally I no longer wanted to smoke - all I had to do then was get through the physical side, a week of feeling hungry - and the job was done.

Did find it hard at times to read every bit of the book as I found some parts a bit repetitive - would find myself skipping paragraphs where he was presenting information previously presented albeit in a different way. When I found myself doing that I would go back and read the passages I nearly skipped, as I figure it firstly was a way of reinforcing the information; and secondly I figured it was the old-school adult-learning technique of "over-learning" where you present the key information 7 times at different intervals in 7 different ways - which is meant to help you retain the info (or in this case help move it to your subconscious). Well, that's what I figure anyway.

So for me the book worked and worked well - and all it cost me was a $2 late return fee to the library (read it in 2 nights but didn't return it until months later as I am slack).

Might not work for everyone but definitely worth a shot - just make sure you really want to give up (not others want you to give up)...then don't just read every word in the book, hear every word and really take it in.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2016, 01:07 PM   #274
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

For those still struggling, what I usually do prior to giving up is smoke myself stupid prior to the set end date. Even when I don't feel like a smoke, I light up a cigarette. I push so many of them through me in the last few days that I get to the point where they taste like poo and I feel awful whenever I have one due to the nicotine overload. Get to the point where you just don't want it anymore. Then be mentally strong when the cravings occur.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 05-01-2016, 01:24 PM   #275
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Just one thing to remember - once a smoker, always a smoker. I was off them for nine years then dropped my guard and was back on them. Once you break the habit, NEVER fall into the trap that "i'll just have one". You'll like it, want another and before you know it you are hooked again.
I agree and disagree. I agree with "once a smoker always a smoker" which gives me the ability to start and stop at my own will. I'll have one if someone offers one to me, but I refuse to part with $25-$30 a pack in Oz when I can buy a carton for $10 in Cebu, Philippines.

I disagree with getting hooked again. I start and stop at my own free will.
Old 08-01-2016, 11:59 PM   #276
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
I agree and disagree. I agree with "once a smoker always a smoker" which gives me the ability to start and stop at my own will. I'll have one if someone offers one to me, but I refuse to part with $25-$30 a pack in Oz when I can buy a carton for $10 in Cebu, Philippines.

I disagree with getting hooked again. I start and stop at my own free will.
You are in the minority mate as most people struggle controlling their addiction.

One week smoke free for me. Still find moments during the day where I want to light up.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
4 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2016, 12:21 AM   #277
XG_Falcon

51 weeks since I quit. I'll post my "1 year..." next Thursday, guaranteed.

I'm not making Nicandro Durante and his cronies any wealthier.
XG_Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2016, 12:47 AM   #278
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are in the minority mate as most people struggle controlling their addiction.

One week smoke free for me. Still find moments during the day where I want to light up.
I am, and thank you.

I wish you the best, stick with it, it has to be better for you than not giving up.
Old 11-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #279
malibufalcon

After 30 years of smoking about a pack and a half of winnie gold every day, I gave up for good just over19 months ago.
First time I lasted 10 weeks before someone ****ed me off and the ciggy's calmed me.
Made me smoke more though.
Second attempt about 2 months later worked, and I now know I just will not smoke ever again.There is just nothing good about it.

The reason I quit as well, as odd as it sounds, was that I didn't have a problem with exercise or being out of breath, and that worried me from all the smoking, as I started to think these problems would come, and I would regret it. Best decision ever.

What helped me, was:

A) Go cold turkey
B) Every time you feel the urge, re-assure yourself it is withdrawal - tell your self you are not going to physically die from how you feel.
C) Do it for the ones who care about you.

If you can survive the few weeks of this, it will only get better, and remember, ciggy's are hard to give up, and knowing that, should help to avoid taking it up again.
Hope this advise helps anyone who is keen to quit, as the longer your off them the more you will dislike it, and also save some $$$$'s
Good luck with your efforts
malibufalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 PM   #280
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Day 11 and still smoke free. Still tempted every now and then.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
3 users like this post:
Old 11-01-2016, 09:31 PM   #281
XG_Falcon

Just try not to think about it, in fact I did my best not to "count the days".

It actually makes it easier.
Old 14-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #282
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of these vices , quitting is all about your mindset , you have to really want to quit , there is no " i will try to quit " , you either want to ........... or you dont ,
i quit cold turkey about 20 years ago ..... never ever had another ciggy ever , never wanted to.
If you make up your mind you want to do it .......... it is done simple as that.
You can do it !
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 02:45 AM   #283
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
It’s not easy giving up and sure you’ll have times when you want to light up but you have to tell yourself you don’t want to smoke anymore, you don’t want to feel half alive anymore, you don’t want everyone to be able to smell you when you walk into a room anymore, you don't want to feel like an outcast with a filthy unhealthy habit anymore, you don’t want to waste all that money when it could be wasted on cars anymore, you don't want to shorten your life expectancy anymore and you don't want to increase the risk of possibly ending up with some God awful smoking related illness anymore.

Like others have already said you have to want to give up and when you do decide that you truly don’t want to smoke again you will start telling yourself all of the above as there are many more negatives to keep you motivated to trump the temptation to go back to a sithouse habit.

Be positive about not wanting the negatives.

Good luck mate I wish you success.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2016, 10:46 AM   #284
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:

I gave up cold turkey about 15 years ago or thereabouts, I was a packet a day smoker and more when a few beers were thrown in the mix :( I started smoking roll your owns with a filter for the last few years before quitting and apart from still having to have good will power I still feel that by removing the tailor made cigs (Winnie Blues were my originals) and smoking the rollies instead, it had made the process a lot easier. You're doing great mate, stick to it and don't be tempted, trust me, once you're off them for a couple of months the physical urge will be completely gone, it's the mental urge you will need to control Keep putting the money you would have been spending on smokes into a container and when you get the urge to light up, go and open the lid and smell and count your extra cash instead

Hang in there, it's well worth it
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 11:37 AM   #285
XG_Falcon

One Year since I quit smoking today.
5 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2016, 11:52 AM   #286
blakef6
Banned

It is actually relative easy if you can get your mind set right. What is harder? Quitting smokes and having cravings for a few weeks then saving heaps of money and feeling good again, or the doctor telling you that you have lung cancer or emphysema and you are going to die a really ****** slow death.

I know which path I took and it was easier
blakef6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #287
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

I was picking lotto numbers at a fairly local newsagent last week and they had a table of books for sale, on it was the alan carr book about smoking.
$15.
Ive decided when i go back down this sat i will purchase it....hopefully its still there
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 09:53 PM   #288
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

2 days for me. I'm on those e-cigarettes.

After smoking for 26 years I can categorically tell you even using this method, and not going cold-turkey, I've noticed the difference in my respiratory system. And no, it's not placebo effect.

I'm on the beers right now and it feels weird. Smoking for that long, it's like losing a mate, lol.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-01-2016, 09:58 PM   #289
Boosted8
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
2 days for me. I'm on those e-cigarettes.

After smoking for 26 years I can categorically tell you even using this method, and not going cold-turkey, I've noticed the difference in my respiratory system. And no, it's not placebo effect.

I'm on the beers right now and it feels weird. Smoking for that long, it's like losing a mate, lol.
I can relate to this... but to me, it felt like losing a (bad) friend and reclaiming myself in exchange.

Best of luck to you.

Btw, not meaning to be a wet blanket but those e-cigs aren't much better for you than tobacco. Most of them have some really dodgy ingredients in them.
Boosted8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2016, 10:36 PM   #290
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted8 View Post

Btw, not meaning to be a wet blanket but those e-cigs aren't much better for you than tobacco. Most of them have some really dodgy ingredients in them.
Yeah Nicotine, it's Poisonous. GP's recommend patches/gum for people that can't go cold-turkey. Funny how the chewies almost cost as much as the smokes.
Old 29-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #291
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just had about 5 weeks holidays. I didn't have the patches on at all in that time because I tend to smoke a lot more when I drink like most people.

I have been back at work for the last two days. I have not been that occupied but have had the patches back on and barely had any smokes.

So I went from having a pack a day or more to barely anything in a short period and feeling perfectly fine. I'm hoping to take the next step and just trust the patches completely this year.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 04:16 AM   #292
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
I was picking lotto numbers at a fairly local newsagent last week and they had a table of books for sale, on it was the alan carr book about smoking.
$15.
Ive decided when i go back down this sat i will purchase it....hopefully its still there
Purchased the AC, The Easy Way to Control Alcohol. I imagine the EWtQS is similar. It is a matter of deprogramming you, to open your mind to the fact that a lot of what we do is guided by brainwashing.
Go for it.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 06:35 AM   #293
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Most of these vices , quitting is all about your mindset , you have to really want to quit , there is no " i will try to quit " , you either want to ........... or you dont ,
i quit cold turkey about 20 years ago ..... never ever had another ciggy ever , never wanted to.
If you make up your mind you want to do it .......... it is done simple as that.
You can do it !
This person is talking the truth...

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 10:20 AM   #294
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

29 days for me and counting. I've noticed a few improvements:
- don't wake up with a bad taste in my mouth
- richard seems to be looking me in the face more often (yes I am serious)
- blood pressure is lower (have an Omron tester)

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
5 users like this post:
Old 30-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #295
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
This person is talking the truth...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
You can do it !
For some people going cold turkey is easy as I did this myself since I was determined to quit, been 18 years now since I quit however for my wife she needed help with patches but managed to shake the habit of smoking, no easy task for her, been 15 years since she stopped.
For most people addiction is hard to shake loose from for others it can be easy.
Talking with friends who have been through this we noticed it takes about 3 years on average to finally get rid of the urge to smoke, these days I can finally admit I hate the smell of tobacco.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #296
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
For some people going cold turkey is easy as I did this myself since I was determined to quit, been 18 years now since I quit however for my wife she needed help with patches but managed to shake the habit of smoking, no easy task for her, been 15 years since she stopped.
For most people addiction is hard to shake loose from for others it can be easy.
Talking with friends who have been through this we noticed it takes about 3 years on average to finally get rid of the urge to smoke, these days I can finally admit I hate the smell of tobacco.
Some can, some can't. What most people that 'can' do it cold-turkey fail to take into consideration, is the 16 different personalities. Some people will think ''why did you even smoke in the first place''.
Old 30-01-2016, 06:32 PM   #297
malibufalcon

I would be interested in hearing your theory on 16 different personalities.

Would personality 5 or 9 have more difficulty in quitting, or 2 really wants to give up, but 4 and 12 are giving him a hard time because they are drinking with 10, who tends to smoke more when alcohol is being consumed?
( 10 can get a bit nasty on the turps, so I tend to drink with 3, he's happy when he drinks and has never smoked )
malibufalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2016, 06:50 PM   #298
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibufalcon View Post
I would be interested in hearing your theory on 16 different personalities.

Would personality 5 or 9 have more difficulty in quitting, or 2 really wants to give up, but 4 and 12 are giving him a hard time because they are drinking with 10, who tends to smoke more when alcohol is being consumed?
( 10 can get a bit nasty on the turps, so I tend to drink with 3, he's happy when he drinks and has never smoked )
Other than my own, I only know of personality 15 - not known for their creativity.

Day 3 bishez.
Old 31-01-2016, 10:59 AM   #299
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
$15.
Good luck mate - just make sure you read it all (don't skip the passages that are just repeating what has already been said).

Like Madaya said the book is all about deprogramming you so you no longer have the mental want to smoke (which is meant to be 90% of the battle), and all you need do then is get through the short period of physical withdrawals and you are an ex-smoker.

So read those repetitive bits as that is all part of how it is meant to work.

Easy to get started too as you don't have to stop smoking the moment you start reading - there are times he tells you to have a smoke while reading certain text as it helps make the point, and he also concedes many wouldn't even start reading the book if they had to give up smoking that instant.

Madaya - didn't know he did a book on alcohol. Cheers for the heads up.
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #300
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been about 4 years clean now - was a pack a day smoker.
The biggest motivator for me was seeing my partners face begging me to quit - seeing her like that tore me to shreds. After that I threw out a brand new 40 pack and never looked back.