Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-03-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
steevo d

Default mixing ethanol for 2 stroke

anyone have any theories on mixing 2 stroke oil with E10 fuel?
i'm thinking that water & standard fuel do not mix well,
ethanol E10 can mix with water so
when you add 2 stroke oil to E10 with water (more than normal) in it, does it separate the oil from the fuel??

cheers for all replies!!

Old 21-03-2009, 10:01 PM   #2
GUTLES
Adam.

As far as I know, 2 Stroke only mix's well with standard Unleaded, we've had alot of problems with people mixing 2 stroke & Shell Optimax (swelling carby diaphragms) but I'm talking Brush Cutters & Chainsaws, what are you putting the 2 Stroke fuel in?

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

YEP even the servo's say NOT to use E10 in small engines..
Our quad 4 stroke motor won't run on it!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I used to be a small engine mechanic, Apart from like already pointed out that the ethanol over an extended period will eat away at the rubber hoses, fuel pickups and diaphragms. I think it may have even been a picture I saw on AFF where on a victa 2 stroke mower the clear plastic fuel indicator stick on the fuel cap when pulled out looked like melted toffee.
The other thing is that ethanol which is essentially alcohol absorbs water. So when you put your fuel can away in a humid shed (fuel cans breath) the fuel can will draw moisture in from the air and over a matter of weeks/months depending on use, you have water in the bottom of your fuel tin, and then you put that into your equipment. The water does sit at the bottom it does not mix and can cause expensive repairs.
Old 22-03-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
steevo d

im talking about small motors as in chainsaws etc,
the way i see it at the servo, the fuel tanks have a duct in the bottom that collects the water, which is regularly pumped out.
as ethanol fuel mixes with the water that is always in the servo tanks you will always get water mixed into the fuel.
as water & oil do not mix does the extra water content in the fuel separate the oil from the fuel????
Old 22-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #6
RepSpec
Formerly XG-Panelvanman

do a google search on ethanol issues and u should be able to get your answer.
i work on outboards and all the manufactures say to not use e10 at all. it seperates water and eats away at different materials, ie fibreglass fuel tanks.

there is no real benifits from the fuel anyway, its useless. for an extra 5cents a litre i would just stick to normal unleaded

BA MK2 Wagon, dedicated LPG, white.

modifications:
cargo barriers, tow bar
RepSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #7
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steevo d
im talking about small motors as in chainsaws etc,
Defiantly wouldn't be using it, you'll have nothing but problems, stick to standard ULP.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #8
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Its the way the oil is not supported in ethanol mix, it doesn't work the same as petrol..
Race cars mix caster oil in methanol to prevent its corrosion properties, pluss it adds as a lubricant..
For what its worth use premium..Also ethanol requires a much richer fuel ratio..
One small engine this can cause major issues with overheating!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post