Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-01-2016, 04:38 PM   #91
Matty4
Banana

Default Re: 4x4 of the year award goes too.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
But it only works in first gear.... According to the ford site.

Jeeez all I am saying is that the Everest in NOT a fully optioned 4X4 and it is very unusual that it has won a 4X4 OTY award. If anything it should have got SUV of the year. Even ford place it in the SUV category.

1st gear only low range is a very limiting factor. Anyone that has done some off roading will know why!!
Again...
Low range works across all gears in the transmission. How else do they work?

Basic comprehension of the Ford site shows that if the TMS is set to "rock" mode it will keep the trans in 1 low for slow speed travels over rocky terrain. It makes no mention 1st gear low range only.

That clip on the OTT wasn't that difficult, the Everest would cope comfortably with that. I did it in an 05 petrol Pajero with no snorkel and the water came a couple of inches up the windscreen.
800mm wading depth in an Everest, fit a snorkel, no dramas.

You need to get out more...
2 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2016, 05:37 PM   #92
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
Again...
Low range works across all gears in the transmission. How else do they work?

Basic comprehension of the Ford site shows that if the TMS is set to "rock" mode it will keep the trans in 1 low for slow speed travels over rocky terrain. It makes no mention 1st gear low range only.

That clip on the OTT wasn't that difficult, the Everest would cope comfortably with that. I did it in an 05 petrol Pajero with no snorkel and the water came a couple of inches up the windscreen.
800mm wading depth in an Everest, fit a snorkel, no dramas.

You need to get out more...
Here we go again. Your Pajero probably had diff breathers at the top of the engine bay as standard. And transmission vents up high. As well as the engine air intake would be up as high as practicable, did you have a water guard over the grill/radiator? Its not just a matter of chucking on a snorkel and then go swimming.

Comparing the Everest to real 4X4's like Y61 patrols, troopies, defenders etc is just pain silly.

Perhaps you should venture out from your Mum's basement more.
Old 26-01-2016, 05:48 PM   #93
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Whats wrong about it. I do own a 4wd and used to go a bit. Low range is really only used when you are going slow through heavy terrain. The whole point of it is torque. Its too slow apart from that. Its like riding a bike in low gear.

As for that vid you posted above can you show us a any modern day car getting treated like that. I will admit that an old Patrol or Cruiser is ideal for serious offroading but most people dont go that extreme and Prados aren't in the same category. I doubt anyone is going to spend 80k and submerge the thing to its windscreen.
i own a 2012 patrol. Bought brand new. It has OME suspension (only 2" lift) Snorkel bull bar/light/winch etc. Out here we do lots of sand driving, lots rock crawling, and thru summer our fair share of river crossing. In all those conditions I use low range 1st thru 3rd regularly. I read somewhere earlier that the Everst only has low range in first. I am trying to find that article again. Until I do I will concede that it has full pattern of gears in low range. Perhaps that article was written by a Toyota bigot

When my Patrol was only two months old we drove across the Finke river in flood with water over the bonnet. We floated about two meters down stream before we got our wheels back on the ground. So yes people do put new 4X4's through their paces. After all why own one if you are not going to use it for what it was designed for.
Old 26-01-2016, 06:05 PM   #94
Matty4
Banana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
Here we go again. Your Pajero probably had diff breathers at the top of the engine bay as standard. And transmission vents up high. As well as the engine air intake would be up as high as practicable, did you have a water guard over the grill/radiator? Its not just a matter of chucking on a snorkel and then go swimming.

Comparing the Everest to real 4X4's like Y61 patrols, troopies, defenders etc is just pain silly.

Perhaps you should venture out from your Mum's basement more.
OK......here we go.....again.
No. A Pajero doesn't have diff breathers as standard, but I fitted them prior to going up there. Nothing stopping an Everest owner from fitting them either.
It had the stock air intake as supplied by Mitsubishi, no snorkel, no wading bra, no flyscreen etc etc.

No one's comparing it to a Troopy, but it is a 4x4 with a ladder chassis, low range, rear diff lock, solid rear end. What else does it need to qualify as a 4x4?
3 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2016, 06:15 PM   #95
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ranger and Everest already have breathers up high in the engine bay...
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #96
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty4 View Post
OK......here we go.....again.
No. A Pajero doesn't have diff breathers as standard, but I fitted them prior to going up there. Nothing stopping an Everest owner from fitting them either.
It had the stock air intake as supplied by Mitsubishi, no snorkel, no wading bra, no flyscreen etc etc.

No one's comparing it to a Troopy, but it is a 4x4 with a ladder chassis, low range, rear diff lock, solid rear end. What else does it need to qualify as a 4x4?
Dumb people hey. So you took a car thru water in a remote location with no snorkel and no W bra. Now thats dumb. I guess you keep emergency service people in a job. BTW my Patrol has high gearbox and diff breathers as standard. Thats because its a real 4X4.

And yes you and others were comparing it to a troopy etc because you kept comparing it to real 4X4's and saying that is just as capable. Its at best a competent SUV. As per my first comments I hope no-one buys this Everest and expects to do real 4X4 exploring!! It would need some serious mods before that were possible. So buyers should just by a real 4X4.
Old 26-01-2016, 06:29 PM   #97
Matty4
Banana

Last time for me in this thread, I promise.
I did Cape York with 2 other vehicles, an 05 Patrol 4.2TD and a 100 series LC 4.2 TD. None of which had snorkels, so enough of the crap about keeping emergency services busy.

patrol4x4.com is probably your best bet for like-minded individuals.
This user likes this post:
Old 26-01-2016, 06:31 PM   #98
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

I don't want to close this thread but if it keeps filling up with more 'mine's bigger than yours' rubbish then I will do so.

The Everest has low range available across the entire transmission but when the Terrain Management System is set to Rock it will hold 1st gear low range.

For the vast majority of people who buy one I'm sure it will do the job fine and the hardcore brigade will simply continue to follow whatever blind loyalty they currently have and the rest of us can get on with our lives.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 26-01-2016, 06:56 PM   #99
Carrion

Carrion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-01-2016, 07:02 PM   #100
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyway .... didn't they give the gong last year to the Range Rover Sport?

I think that just highlights the flaw in their selection criteria ... excluding anything that hasn't had a significant update. A more valid test would be between cars on sale right now. Then we'll have a better picture of how the Everest stacks up against all of its competition.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post