Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2016, 01:11 PM   #1
Mad_Pom

Default 4x4 of the year award goes too.......

http://www.4x4australia.com.au/drive...types=og.likes

The 4x4OTY criteria

VALUE FOR MONEY is judged according to a vehicle’s equipment level, safety features and price relative to its direct competitors. Just because a vehicle has a high price doesn’t mean it’s not good value – in the same way a cheap car isn’t always good value.

BREAKING NEW GROUND refers to advancements in technology and design –how a vehicle has raised the bar in its class to take 4x4s to a higher level is judged. If a vehicle has the latest safety features, worthy engine technology or an advanced driveline, it will score well here.

BUILT TOUGH refers to how strong a vehicle is and how well it will cope with the rigours of tough off-road driving environments. Will it be up to the task or fall apart at the first hurdle?

BUSHABILITY is how well a vehicle is equipped for off-road travel. Suitability of the standard tyres for rough roads, touring range, available accessories and underbody protection are just some of the factors considered here. Is this a vehicle you would chose to drive around Australia the rough way, or is it best left to the suburbs?

DOING THE JOB is judged according to a vehicle’s design brief. Does a luxury vehicle have all the latest in comfort and convenience features and do they work in the real world? How well a ute carries a load, or a seven seater accommodates a family will all come in to play here.

Our judges’ final scores
Everest -- 259
Fortuna -- 227
Hilux -- 244
Navara -- 212
Prado --250
Triton -- 227
Old 14-01-2016, 03:00 PM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 4x4 of the year award goes too.......

Not a surprising result really with the kit in the ford, prado and everest are pretty close with the hilux not far behind , and on that note id say it comes back to personal preference given the scores,
i had a bit of a gig at a prado last week , it looks a nice place to be , no doubt the henry is good too, or all of them for that matter .
the one thing im not really confident with some of these electronic wizz bang scrubbers is the electronic traction systems ,
having had an old school kidney smasher (nissan patrol G60h ) with a proper low range gear box,
i wonder how long these modern ones would tolerate extended trail work , i understand they are family scrubbers and probably even more capable in the traction department than the old school scrubbers , but still i do wonder how about their endurance .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2016, 04:46 PM   #3
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

wheres the ranger?
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 05:03 PM   #4
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comagutsa View Post
wheres the ranger?

Quote:
To be in contention for the 4X4OTY title a vehicle must be all-new or have major upgrades such as a new powertrain and/or improved technology.

The field was split 50:50 between utes and wagons this year. Toyota’s Hilux, Mitsubishi’s Triton and Nissan’s Navara were all-new models, while others in the 4x4 ute class, such as Mazda’s BT-50 and Ford’s Ranger, have had only minor updates and didn’t qualify for contention.
Would have been a one/two finish had it qualified.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-01-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
robster

Justice has been served !!
robster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2016, 10:16 PM   #6
robster

Appears the common denominator is the 4x4 aspect !! Everest is a Ranger in a dinner suit and kills the rest anyway !!
robster is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 05:41 AM   #7
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

Since its introduction I have seen one Everest on the road and countless Prado's. In a magazine test Everest may as well have won by a thousand points, but in the real world sales test it seems to be a flop.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 07:47 AM   #8
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
Since its introduction I have seen one Everest on the road and countless Prado's. In a magazine test Everest may as well have won by a thousand points, but in the real world sales test it seems to be a flop.
Such a little ray of sunshine aren't you. Didn't your mother ever tell you that if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 08:10 AM   #9
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It wasn't hostile but a valid point, I've heard nothing but praise for the Everest but can say I've not seen one on the street. Ford have hell of a time in front of them to get the public on side again.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 09:35 AM   #10
Blueford260

The Everest hasn't been on sales that long where as the Pardo has been since the 90's. Not a real accurate assessment or comparison.
Blueford260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 15-01-2016, 09:58 AM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Whats your point? Rolla outsells Focus, Hilux outsells Ranger, Camry Outsells Falcon. Obviously these cars are better because its sells the most.
Old 15-01-2016, 10:36 AM   #12
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
Whats your point? Rolla outsells Focus, Hilux outsells Ranger, Camry Outsells Falcon. Obviously these cars are better because its sells the most.
no good making a better car if bugger all people buy it
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty View Post
no good making a better car if bugger all people buy it
Ranger & Focus sell well around the world. Ranger factory running at full capacity. So it is what it is. Everest is apparently doing well.
Old 15-01-2016, 10:11 AM   #14
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Without sniping like some here, I think the sales will pick up over a period of time. You need to understand that compared to Prado, Everest has been on sale since yesterday. It'll take time for people to adjust and change their preferences.
By all accounts Everest is a good product and once people experience it and word of mouth gets around then sales will pick up. Only up to Ford after sales service to lift their game now.
Old 15-01-2016, 10:17 AM   #15
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Everests are selling 300+ every month now. While that is still lots less than Prado it likely reflects the volumes that are being imported rather than customer requests
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2016, 12:05 PM   #16
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I'm starting to see more and more of them on the road everyday.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2016, 12:07 AM   #17
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like the look of the Everest on the outside, but damn that interior is boring!
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

They should have called this the SUV of the year. Only a couple of those would I use as a real 4X4. I ask myself which of those would I drive the canning stock route in, the telegraph track Cape York. What about the Kimberly? I think that if anyone bought any of these vehicles (bar a couple) they would be very disappointed if they headed into the previously mentioned places.
3 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2016, 05:21 PM   #19
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack View Post
They should have called this the SUV of the year. Only a couple of those would I use as a real 4X4. I ask myself which of those would I drive the canning stock route in, the telegraph track Cape York. What about the Kimberly? I think that if anyone bought any of these vehicles (bar a couple) they would be very disappointed if they headed into the previously mentioned places.
I know a few people who have tackled those tracks with these type of vehicles, no major dramas at all.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2016, 12:28 AM   #20
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Titanium for reasons known only to Ford is overpriced $16k more than Trend?? Is there $16 k in equipment ? Trend is around $64k on road Titanium $79k .
Old 19-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #21
AussieCJ7

a everest with raptor style flares and grill would look tough
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 19-01-2016, 11:06 AM   #22
monzie

A few sales will come from people trading there Terry's.
Old 19-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #23
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by monzie View Post
A few sales will come from people trading there Terry's.
Yes and No, they are very different vehicles, and price brackets.
for instance this is a 4X4 of the year thread.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 11:38 AM   #24
monzie

Yes, fair comment. Maybe I should have started the sentence with,

"Ford will be hoping"
Old 19-01-2016, 03:48 PM   #25
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People go to the Prado due to its reputation. They're a great car and even for me, I'd sooner trust a Toyota for 4WD'ing over everything else.

It will take time for Ford to build true credibility with regards to 4WDs and new vehicles.

Advertising always helps - and thankfully I've seen a couple of Everest billboards about.

Like the Ranger, I think the Everest will become a well-received vehicle, but it will take time.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #26
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post
People go to the Prado due to its reputation. They're a great car and even for me, I'd sooner trust a Toyota for 4WD'ing over everything else.

It will take time for Ford to build true credibility with regards to 4WDs and new vehicles.

Advertising always helps - and thankfully I've seen a couple of Everest billboards about.

Like the Ranger, I think the Everest will become a well-received vehicle, but it will take time
Ford seem to be pushing the advertising of the Everest VERY hard.

When you look at other model launches in recent years, perhaps excluding PX Ranger, Ford seem to be going hard in many advertising forms with the Everest. MD Mondeo, Focus, Kuga, Transit, Falcon have all had quite soft launches over the years in comparison.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #27
madmatty
dipstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post

Like the Ranger, I think the Everest will become a well-received vehicle, but it will take time.
just avoid the d4d engine in toyotas it is rubbish
madmatty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 09:29 PM   #28
marty351
Shenanigans..............

My work hiace has 290k, original clutch, no oil leaks, original turbo, original everything, driven it myself now for 60k and the only thing that needs looking at is the EGR. NOT rubbish, Mitsubishi diesels I've had, rubbish.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2016, 10:05 PM   #29
nt0351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmatty View Post
just avoid the d4d engine in toyotas it is rubbish

are you expressing what you heard or have you experienced dud D4D's ?

just got rid of an 08 Prado with 295000 klms ,..wife's daily drive ,did towing , offroad trips , you name it , it copped it , 7 years never missed a beat , was a bit slow ,a steinbauer module soon fixed that
bought a 2012 Ranger new ,..good looking showpony ,..heaps of tech in it and plenty of power ,.got rid of it at 60,000klms ,..was falling apart, & let me down at least twice .build quality was rubbish
I can understand going the Everest if it were $50k drive away with all the bells & whistles ..but to buy one at $70k plus in front of a proven performer like a Prado,..you would have to be empty between the ears .
nt0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-01-2016, 10:15 PM   #30
RANGEREST
Same ****-Different Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by nt0351 View Post
are you expressing what you heard or have you experienced dud D4D's ?

just got rid of an 08 Prado with 295000 klms ,..wife's daily drive ,did towing , offroad trips , you name it , it copped it , 7 years never missed a beat , was a bit slow ,a steinbauer module soon fixed that
bought a 2012 Ranger new ,..good looking showpony ,..heaps of tech in it and plenty of power ,.got rid of it at 60,000klms ,..was falling apart, & let me down at least twice .build quality was rubbish
I can understand going the Everest if it were $50k drive away with all the bells & whistles ..but to buy one at $70k plus in front of a proven performer like a Prado,..you would have to be empty between the ears .
You had a****ty run out of your Ranger, fair enough, and the Prado does have a fairly good reputation, but as you said pretty gutless and IMHO a crap ride compared to the Everest.
Price wise the Everest is cheaper than any comparable spec Prado or Fortuner
http://www3.toyota.com.au/prado/prices
UA2 Everest Trend 2.0lt
RANGEREST is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post