Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2019, 11:49 AM   #151
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: NBN so far, whats your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
I know your pain aussieblue, wait till they tell you to make a record/order of when your modem drops out for a day or a week...
That shouldn't be necessary, my ISP can tell when, for how long and how many times my connection is a normal 'off', or a drop out due to a line problem.
Old 09-07-2019, 08:41 PM   #152
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I had the NBN connected today on FTTN and am very happy that it far exceeded expectations despite all the horror stories.

Bonus is with the new router, the Wifi doesn't cutout when the microwave is on so can continue watching Foxtel when cooking

I picked the TPG 50 plan and have got it up over 47 down and about 20 up.
Same here, plan and everything except I'm using an old 5th gen Apple Airport Extreme (2011) which still works beautifully. I planned to use in the meantime while the TPG one came but surprised that it's still up to the task.
I get about 48/19 on the 50/20 plan FTTP.

Now what to do with the TPG one?
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 26-07-2019, 11:06 PM   #153
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well almost a month on NBN and so far no complaints. Actually asked a bloke at work who has FTTP and he said he was getting between 40-45mbps~ and at first it confused me but then I remembered my area is only recently NBN ready so will see how it goes when more connect to it.

I just did another speed test and it was 11 ping, 48.2 down / 18.9 up. Then I did a test on my Telstra 4G phone and it was 29 ping, 168.9 down / 37.8 up...Yep we stuffed this up!

No wonder why NBN co are worried about 5G when 4G is getting that
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 03:48 AM   #154
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And off peak just hit 193.1 down / 41.3 up. I remember with my HTC phone it was less than 100 but at the time it was super fast for a new 4G phone.

I should clarify that Telstra is 4GX and they bought up heaps of the spectrum after analog TV was switched off.
Old 29-07-2019, 06:40 PM   #155
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4G is not an option in the house I am in.
There is barely any reception because of the way buildings are positioned blocking towers and I have to use Optus WiFi Call.
NBN actually works compared to 4G (3G is unusable).
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2020, 08:47 PM   #156
Work Horse
Budget Racer

NBN finally available in my area earlier in the year, 3167 15km from Melbourne CBD.

Put it off for as long as possible given; nothing wrong with current connection from Optus, have teacher and student relying on internet for remote learning and have heard many horror stories and problems with NBN connection.

Optus tell me their network will be switched off by the end of September. I weaken and agree to change my service. My next door neighbour has had Optus 5G for home internet for several months but Optus tells me my house does not receive 5G according to their map.

I agreed to connect to the NBN; 'Raj' arrived this afternoon to connect the NBN side. After some discussion; we did not connect the fibre to the curb to a 20+ year old Telstra phone line we have never used, we did not run a conduit down the front of my house and drill a hole through the wall into one of the front bedrooms.

We did run a new copper wire from the pole where the fibre to the curb ended to the front of my house. 'Raj' overcame his initial reluctance and allowed me to pull a wire from the front of my house, inside the roof, to the study in the middle of my house, and connect to an existing copper Cat 5.

As a tradie, I understand if I treat other trades people with respect, offer tea or coffee a couple of times while they are at my home, anything is possible..

New modum connected, at 7.00pm on a Friday on an NBN 50 plan I am currently getting 54mbps.
Old 25-09-2020, 09:01 PM   #157
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep I was a bit worried about it all but got a 50 plan and apart from the bushfires I have not had an outage. I have had a constant 45+.

Though I have to laugh at what has happened this week about extending FTTN and FTTC to the FTTP. What a ****en joke, these clowns have no clue about anything

If there were no jobs in it for tradies in this downturn, I doubt it would happen to be honest.

Just need to figure out how I can get FTTP considering I'm in a townhouse. The funny thing is there is FTTC on the otherside of the bridge
Old 25-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #158
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They'll be replacing the FTTN and HFC networks with FTTC. (Fibre to the Curb)

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
Old 25-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #159
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
They'll be replacing the FTTN and HFC networks with FTTC. (Fibre to the Curb)

Sent from my SM-A305YN using Tapatalk
Lucky for me I live on the same street with a node and the exchange so I've been pretty sweet on FTTN so will do even better with FTTC or FTTP. Like I said they have it over the other side of the road FTTC.

No ****en way I could get these speeds at my old home with old copper with FTTN.
Old 25-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #160
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

We had ours connected a few weeks ago. So far it has been as advertised so we are happy. We only went for Westnets NBN 25 plan with typical evening speeds apparently 22. I just did a speed test and it was 23. So no complaints.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #161
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
We had ours connected a few weeks ago. So far it has been as advertised so we are happy. We only went for Westnets NBN 25 plan with typical evening speeds apparently 22. I just did a speed test and it was 23. So no complaints.
Is that on Sky muster or fixed line?
Old 25-09-2020, 09:32 PM   #162
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

FTTC with Westnet
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2020, 09:45 PM   #163
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
NBN finally available in my area earlier in the year, 3167 15km from Melbourne CBD.

Put it off for as long as possible given; nothing wrong with current connection from Optus, have teacher and student relying on internet for remote learning and have heard many horror stories and problems with NBN connection.

Optus tell me their network will be switched off by the end of September. I weaken and agree to change my service. My next door neighbour has had Optus 5G for home internet for several months but Optus tells me my house does not receive 5G according to their map.

I agreed to connect to the NBN; 'Raj' arrived this afternoon to connect the NBN side. After some discussion; we did not connect the fibre to the curb to a 20+ year old Telstra phone line we have never used, we did not run a conduit down the front of my house and drill a hole through the wall into one of the front bedrooms.

We did run a new copper wire from the pole where the fibre to the curb ended to the front of my house. 'Raj' overcame his initial reluctance and allowed me to pull a wire from the front of my house, inside the roof, to the study in the middle of my house, and connect to an existing copper Cat 5.

As a tradie, I understand if I treat other trades people with respect, offer tea or coffee a couple of times while they are at my home, anything is possible..

New modum connected, at 7.00pm on a Friday on an NBN 50 plan I am currently getting 54mbps.
That's curious as we finally were able to connect to the NBN (FTTC) 3 months ago and we also have the phone line coming from power poles.

6 months ago they they did the groundwork in our area and to connect it all I had to do was tell iiNet that I wanted it connected and someone threw a switch in the exchange.

Signed up for the 50 plan (coz I'm cheap) and have been getting a constant 47-53 Mbps download and 18-20 upload.
Old 25-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #164
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefcio007 View Post
4G is not an option in the house I am in.
There is barely any reception because of the way buildings are positioned blocking towers and I have to use Optus WiFi Call.
NBN actually works compared to 4G (3G is unusable).
My place is the same, get pretty well no reception in the house and use Optus WiFi Call, yet as soon as I step outside Im back to 4g... Its weird.

We are FTTP here as we are in a new build and are with Optus NBN and find it plenty fast for our needs. Im working from home 10 hours a day, 6 days a week at the moment on the PC and even with that, my sons Ipad, Wifey's Phone and netflix going its perfectly fine, and still quick. Thats all I ever expected so we are happy. I havent run a speed test ever on it, perhaps one day I might....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2020, 10:56 PM   #165
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

I’ve been waiting for NBN to connect our house for the over 30 months!

Latest date is a mid October installation. Not holding my breath.

I am so utterly fed up with the NBN, fed up with their incompetence, fed up with their bullying tactics and fed up with their outright lies!

In the meantime I ordered a 4G wireless service which worked really well often achieving 120mbps, only problem was a 500GB monthly download limit.

A few days ago I upgraded to a 5G wireless service and achieving 350mbps!!! With no download limit.

I will continue with the NBN install and cancel it as soon as they commission the service.

As far as I’m concerned NBN should be disbanded, they the worse quasi-government entity every created.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 12:14 AM   #166
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Signed up for the 50 plan (coz I'm cheap) .
That's not cheap. I'm on nbn12.

It was the principal. I wasn't going to pay more than what I was paying for adsl2+...

Hoping that eventually the prices will drop and plans will improve.
Old 26-09-2020, 01:30 AM   #167
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are a lot of peeps that don't want to give up their ADSL2+ plans. I was one of them but def upgraded with the NBN.

Just did a speed test on my Telstra 4G and hit 175Mbps down right now which is far faster than my NBN

5G will be insane when it comes.
Old 26-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #168
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
There are a lot of peeps that don't want to give up their ADSL2+ plans. I was one of them but def upgraded with the NBN.

Just did a speed test on my Telstra 4G and hit 175Mbps down right now which is far faster than my NBN

5G will be insane when it comes.
Maybe this is common knowledge but...
In my first home with NBN, it was fibre to the home (FTTH), and I could get 98 out of the 100 Mbps.
Liberals downgraded that to a mixed connection strategy (FTTH, FTTC, FTTN) to gloat about saving money. FTTC uses some copper, FTTN still uses a lot of copper.

The restriction on the speed isn't the fibre (if it is FTTH), its the hardware on the ends of the fibre. I hear that they are now going to go back and change that hardware so it can get 1000Mbps (=1Gbps). Fibre is the fastest, world record is up to 44Tbps (50 x 100Gb movies in 1 second) with the best (expensive) hardware.

Yes the 4G and then 5G is fast, up to 500Mbps but the data cost is too expensive for home use if you use a streaming service (e.g. Netflix)

People opting to keep ADSL2+, **** that
Mr_G6ET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2020, 11:15 AM   #169
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
That's not cheap. I'm on nbn12.

It was the principal. I wasn't going to pay more than what I was paying for adsl2+...

Hoping that eventually the prices will drop and plans will improve.
I'd say it is cheap.

My old ADLS2 was about 9Mbps download with a 200GB limit and I had to pay for phone calls for $79 pm

Now I get 50Mbps unlimited download with phone calls included for exactly the same price.
Old 26-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #170
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
That's curious as we finally were able to connect to the NBN (FTTC) 3 months ago and we also have the phone line coming from power poles.

6 months ago they they did the groundwork in our area and to connect it all I had to do was tell iiNet that I wanted it connected and someone threw a switch in the exchange.

Signed up for the 50 plan (coz I'm cheap) and have been getting a constant 47-53 Mbps download and 18-20 upload.
I excpected optus would use the same cable they installed years ago. Raj told me it was the wrong type of wire. It needed to be cat 5 or 6, telephone wire. I'm not a tech but I suspect he was looking for the quickest install.

Next door have had a lot of problems, drop outs etc over the years, same plan and provider as us but their cable came off the next pole in the street. They put their troubles down to the connection at that pole. They are now on 5G and happy with it.

I was not keen on Raj connecting us via an old Telstra wire that has been there that long it has at least 3 coats of paint on it where it comes into the house. I helped him replace it with a new wire running in the same place.

Our neigbour will be able to get much faster speeds on their 5G. I will be interested to see who gets the most congested, our NBN or their 5G both with optus.
Old 30-09-2020, 12:40 AM   #171
hayseed

https://www.betootaadvocate.com/unca...ming-services/
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 11:25 AM   #172
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap View Post
I’ve been waiting for NBN to connect our house for the over 30 months!

Latest date is a mid October installation. Not holding my breath.
But NBNco put out a media release months ago saying the NBN is 'complete' ???
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 12:43 PM   #173
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
But NBNco put out a media release months ago saying the NBN is 'complete' ???
I'm sure I heard some criticism at the media release being largely false. They say it's complete, but there is still a lot of unfinished work.

Makes a bit of a mockery of it all really.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 12:52 PM   #174
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

apart from the added cost of connection ive had no improvements being on it and calling them every other day due to drop outs and constantly being told its fine as long as im not constantly dropping 5 or more times daily
even with out telling me they dropped me a tier speed (but didnt reduce my plan pricing) and when i rang to quarry if id been speed caped they told me then and said it was to try and stabilise my connection at which i told them i might as well go back to what i had previous as they re installed my speed
but even with speed reduction my connection seems all over the pace at best at times

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 01:07 PM   #175
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I remain blissfully free of the NBN.

As the local twisted pair copper is due to finish use around January, I need to do something. Have only been offered HFC.

My plan is to run all the conduits and chasing, sign up for the cheapest service that has a free cancellation period and terminate within that period, permanently diverting the landline to a mobile. My current ADSL connection clocks internet speeds at 10-12% of 4G. I can’t see how the “mutt” technology of HFC can offer much of an improvement and not willing to pay for it either way!
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 04:47 PM   #176
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'm sure I heard some criticism at the media release being largely false. They say it's complete, but there is still a lot of unfinished work.
Smoke and mirrors? LOL.

And it will only get worse with telcos announcing more and more 5G. NBNco have completely misread the market. It's the volume of users on sub-50Mb that will drive them to 5G. FTTC might address that, but they're saying you can only get it if you opt for the premium >100Mb plans.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 04:51 PM   #177
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Smoke and mirrors? LOL.

And it will only get worse with telcos announcing more and more 5G. NBNco have completely misread the market. It's the volume of users on sub-50Mb that will drive them to 5G. FTTC might address that, but they're saying you can only get it if you opt for the premium >100Mb plans.
Not sure if I read that right, but we've got FTTC and a 50Mb plan.
Old 30-09-2020, 06:41 PM   #178
.:4:.
Kicking back

My mum recently had an nbn connection done. She had a couple of teething issues, mainly old person stuff like not knowing what to do to get existing devices on to a new wireless network, and the installers all they did was test the connection at her idf and hand her a box with a modem in it, which posed old person issue number 2, her telephone now needs to run through the modem, not just plug into the wall. Previously with adsl i had rejiggled the wiring in her cupboard so the incomming line, a filter was in the cupboard with the wireless modem, and all the telephone points in the place were filtered. The installers didnt rejiggle anything so yeah, the i suppose youd call it pstn line now comes from the new modem. So not really the end of the world, but moving the plug wired into the disconnect module from the old filter to the phone port on the new modem really isnt rocket surgery, but for the 5 seconds that takes, and for anyone who knows phones, you would like to think the installers would simply look at it and move the 2 cables to the modem. Not just remove the old modem to return to tpg and hand over a box. Yes it took me no time to sort out, but its a 45 minute drive to do so. And i was over there again today, had some computating to do, mum is on a middle teir plan, but with 2 computers over the wifi, she complained that hers had slowed down a lot compared to normal. I know its not the most reliable, but as an indicator i ran a google speed test, and 18 megabits per second isnt deplorable, but its deffinately not what she is paying for. The adsl was not much quicker, but slightly quicker. It is fibre in the street then copper from there, and her unit is top floor of the 5th unit block in her complex, so its the furthest away from the street, but its still 'only' probably 400-500m cable run in copper from the street so it should be faster then it is. Wirless my phone to my computer runs faster. From my adsl install days, 12mbps was the threshold between crap and acceptable. So 18mbps isnt wonderful.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2020, 07:36 PM   #179
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thankfully we’re free from the NBN. My brother has it and his service is pathetic. The speeds are nowhere near what he pays for, and he still gets drop outs. .

I’ve got iiNet cable, in the evenings on a bad night I average 150mbps, mostly I average around 250mbps, the highest I’ve clocked is 453mbps.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2020, 11:44 AM   #180
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Smoke and mirrors? LOL.

The roll out of the National Broadband Network officially finished on June 30, with more than seven million households signed on. But there's still nearly a hundred thousand sites that are not hooked up. NBN Co says says that should be fixed by the end of the year but for those still waiting the delays can have serious repercussions.

https://www.abc.net.au/7.30/the-nbn-...0,000/12599538

So it's "finished". But not really
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post