Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-07-2019, 08:45 PM   #1051
.:4:.
Kicking back

Default Re: What made you feel good today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
This post doesn't involve "ladies in lifts"... :p

Went to look at a tradie van for a mate, he needed an engine donor for his. This was WAY better than the existing vehicle, and only a thou. Done.

What's so good about this? Well, the repair's part of the slow meandering required for XR6 "Foster Ute" to return to me... And I finished up talking classic Aussie Fords with the seller - had a few about the place!
So, im easily confused, but mate borrowed ute due to van crapping out, you lent ute to said mate as thats what mates do, to fix said crapped out van you'd need ute back, found better van for a grand. Seller likes classic cars so nice conversation. Mate now in better van?
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2019, 09:16 PM   #1052
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Not quite. It's like something out of The Castle.

I had perpetual loan of Foster Ute, on the basis that I (a.) paid green slip, (b.) maintained to a standard of "better than received", (c.) bore incidental expenses. The official owner was free to borrow it for incidental use, but he understood I was relying on it being around to get things done.

Paper owner of ute ran his other work vehicle low on oil, parked it all day facing up a steep hill, took off in the evening with a full load, seized it, cracking a crank journal.

He borrowed Foster Ute back.

Several months later, I crack the Tom Tits with waiting, and buy Povo Ute. A discussion with the seller of Povo, gets me a phone number for someone selling a suitable engine donor for the non-ute work vehicle.

Late afternoon, I duck out to see this engine prospect, buy it on the spot for my mate. A whole van for a G, no rust to speak of, highway km, engine is dry outside and smooth running. So now there is a good chance of my getting the original ute back (Foster Ute) in just a couple of weeks. (And if I do, I'll park one ute behind the other because that's now legal in Australia.)

And because the van seller also has a BA trayback up for sale, we got talking and nattered on for a good hour about Falcons, Tank Fairlanes and the odd Munro.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 25-07-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2019, 10:03 PM   #1053
Kicking back

Sweet action. I crossed paths with the bloke i spent my apprenticeship under today. Circumstance was walked past a shopfront for a contract my company has, walked back with a bloke i work with and noticed the face up the ladder. Well i was a tad bit of a ratbag, but nothing more then social banter, but it was good to catch up with the tradesman i worked under who taught me most of what i know. He loves the trade. The bloke i was working with is a tradesman and was my apprentice, and it came across strong as to where and who i reference as to what i know and where i know it from. It wasnt always smooth sailing and no concern about feelings when i did my time. I could have had a crap day and copped it hard. But at knockoff it was out the window, social time. Next day was a new day. So the the way it was now makes a bit more sense to the new crowd.
Old 27-07-2019, 12:26 AM   #1054
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I finally got my resume sorted for a potential promotion, just have to finish the application. At worst it would be just be making me permanent in what I am already doing which is a win but I'm going to go above that.

If I get that, the difference in pay would be my payments on my mortgage in a year which means a heap more play money and maybe getting rid of the WRX for a V8 finally

And on that note, my bank passed on 0.20 of the latest 0.25 cut on top of the full before so my rate is now down to 3.39 with 100% offset. Winning!
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 01:37 AM   #1055
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

had a real bullshirt day today, nothing went right at work, Mother got put into hospital with an unknown disease/condition/mindset... I'm crook with the flu, as is the wee boy in the house. Finally got home, 14 hours after leaving this morning and a couple of mates (who I haven't seen for about 7 months) wanted to play online FPS on a whim. Relented and downloaded 23 GB of mediocre free game.. Four hours and half a bottle of finest bourbon later, I am at peace with the world. Took me back to LAN parties in the late nineties with these same blokes. Back when we were pimple faced teenagers, bonding over inappropriately violent video games, highly caffeinated beverages and anything with boobs and a heartbeat...
It's the simple things in life, I guess. To take you out of the here and now and remind you of happier times.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-07-2019, 08:00 PM   #1056
Kicking back

Just backing up the driveway after a crap day at work (due to the poor orginisation of the job by the client, i work with a good bunch of blokes) and seeing my new fence complete. Judging off the good workmanship and progress i saw yesterday, i knew it wasnt a half job. But its done. No mess left behind, fence is straight as an arrow (i think i gained 2 inches of property boundry, but I'll keep that to myself) and it smells like pine. So word of mouth recomendations really payed off. The over the fence conversation with next door also was just about how good it turned out. The financial part was all of 5 seconds, both parties arent in despute about the final product. It exceeded what i thought a simple fence is.
Old 27-07-2019, 08:06 PM   #1057
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see you are happy with your fence.Pity it smells like pine,which is by far the poorest excuse for timber ever on this earth. But we are pretty well stuck with it because good timber costs 3-4 times as much
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #1058
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Good to see you are happy with your fence.Pity it smells like pine,which is by far the poorest excuse for timber ever on this earth. But we are pretty well stuck with it because good timber costs 3-4 times as much
The old 40 year old fence was hardwood, but it was not structural anymore. So yeah, cheaped out a bit, but it should last a few years. Beats the look of colourbond.
Old 27-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #1059
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

And the carnage when a cricket ball smacks one!
Old 28-07-2019, 12:33 PM   #1060
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Looking at some truck trays and this appears, straight as, no rust, reasonable paint, on snowflakes, for sale, but needs to be out from under that tree.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #1061
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Did ya take it home?
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2019, 12:35 PM   #1062
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Definitely looks like it needs to be saved
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2019, 12:44 PM   #1063
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Did ya take it home?
I want to, I'm negotiating 2 X 4.5mtr steel trays and possibly the van.
and yeh Sar needs saving.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2019, 07:36 PM   #1064
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Went out this morning collecting wood with the car and trailer and because of where we live I'm able to give my daughter the chance to drive without any wowsers or authorities kicking up about it. So she drove the 7km to the property and back and managed 2 different 3 point turns with the trailer and then backed it in to the yard to the wood heap once we got back. Not bad for a 15 yr old who's first encounter with the trailer was only last weekend for one quick lesson. One proud dad here.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #1065
Sar4890
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I took my coupe out for a decent run as opposed to car club runs where you barely get up to 40mph. Ifound good roads where I got a chance to at least cruise along at a comfortable 60mph which gave the old girl a good clean out.
Sar4890 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-07-2019, 09:29 PM   #1066
TrVrPhiLpsiNdstrys

Ironman Champion Guy Andrews filmed a pilot of us and my car for an upcoming video programme about guys and their cars...

Lots of cool action and hopefully coming to a tv station near you shortly
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1067
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Received two NOS remote fobs in the post for Povo Ute.

They trained perfectly; I feel like Lord Muck with remote locking once again.
Old 30-07-2019, 06:00 PM   #1068
Kicking back

Handing back the site i was babysitting for a few days to the bloke who took time off. No more dealing with the politics of poor orginisation by the site manager, and i could tacle some of my backed up jobs and do my work unincumbered. And a week after it failed, the ute is still running better then ever. Its a different car from what it has been for the past 3 years. Still not fast, but now i have an understanding as to why people like my manager swear by diesels. I should probably reset the average economy. Its at 9.3L currently which is the best its been since ive had it, granted my managers 3L dmax isnt loaded, but he is in the 8s, so my 2.2 ranger half loaded theoretically should be in the 8s i reckon.
Old 31-07-2019, 05:48 PM   #1069
Kicking back

Today marks the 13th year ive been working for the company i work for. Makes me feel old.
Was also giving the pm a hand on his job thats behind, and his guys were all shocked i had the balls to have a go about all the double handling and other inefficiencies i saw in how he was running the show. Theyre all too scared to speak up as this bloke is pretty aggressive. But i dont work for him. Hes not my manager. I wasnt rude about it either.
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #1070
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chilli.

I'm not a super-hot junkie but don't mind a decent zing. If I overdo it, these days I get the hiccups before anything worse. Rather a good warning system!

So tonight with my meal I added some sambal oelek. I like the saltiness of this blend, along with (very similar) Guilin chilli sauce, and un-oxidised Indian lime pickle (it seems to not keep well). Medium zhug is also a treat, the milder versions are perfect on toast for breakfast.

Right now my cheeks are red and slightly sweating below the eyes from chilli heat. It's a nice reminder of a great feed.
Old 31-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #1071
Kicking back

As a treat this morning i got myself the heaviest and greatest of breakfast rolls. Steak, sausage and bacon with onions and bbq sauce. Not going to lie, it was heavy and slowed me down a tad, but it was glorious. So that was my 13 year treat at work. Atleast i wasnt working in confined spaces, that could have been unpleasant for a co worker. To me, well, everybody likes their own brand.....
Old 01-08-2019, 07:22 PM   #1072
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Bought a black/charcoal BF Momo wheel off a Gumtree seller today, came with the column, clockspring, airbag, a spare ignition barrel with key and a ute remote. Wheel has a couple of minor scuffs from handling/storage; usage will buff them nicely.

I feel especially good about this because it was only $100!
Old 01-08-2019, 08:22 PM   #1073
Kicking back

The triumph over adversity (not really). Gave one of the guys on my service team a hand today on the project he is on. All the projects guys are tied up on a project thats running terribly because its being run extremely inefficiently. So the job i gave a hand on is running well, taking into consideration 95% of the work has been done by 1 guy and done well, so it should, he was my apprentice way back when. So i was just helping out with the 2 handed stuff like lifting down big tvs and stuff. But he had an issue. The tiler didnt cut the hole for a power point in the kitchen big enough. The tiles were stuck to a wooden backboard so not terrible. Had it been gyprock, that would need a different approach. The site manager was floating around like the bad smell he is, and had kittens when i asked for the hammer drill. He was going troppo that id crack the tile and carrying on. I said watch me. I wasnt using the hammer drill on hammer. Its tiles. Im not an idiot. Marked up, ran the ramset on drill only to just get through to the wood so i could use wood screws to mount the outlet. The bloke i was helping out learnt a new trick out of my book of experience (i omit that it takes many mistakes to learn the tricks), and the site manager who 'used' to be a builder proved hes a site manager because he probably wasnt a very good builder.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 PM   #1074
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You don’t carry tile bits (3,5,6mm and 1/4, 5/16”) including a pilot for the holesaw, and a 40mm wet/dry diamond holesaw?
Old 01-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #1075
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
You don’t carry tile bits (3,5,6mm and 1/4, 5/16”) including a pilot for the holesaw, and a 40mm wet/dry diamond holesaw?
Got a diamond holesaw kit. Dont use it on tiles. No need for the mess. Its more for granite. 6.5 is the biggest. It has the wet thingy. Tiles, normal sds masonary bit, get it started then lean on the drill. Drill being on drill not hammer drill. Once the tile is drilled, if its concrete behind i turn hammer back on then keep the drill straight. My weapon of choice for rotary hammer drills is an older 18v ramset for the smaller stuff (20mm and under) anything bigger then its 240v ramset.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #1076
Sioso
irregular member

Rescuing a dog from an animal shelter.
My new best friend:
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2019, 08:21 PM   #1077
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Love the tail action.
6 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2019, 07:01 PM   #1078
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I like my bees.

I was watching them quiver as they drank, imagining them as squabbling siblings: Stop bumping me with your tail!/You’re drinking more than your share!/I’ll tell Mum if you do that again!
Old 04-08-2019, 07:12 PM   #1079
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Combine the previous posts....

Last edited by marty351; 25-11-2019 at 09:24 PM.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #1080
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Found my spare keys for Foster Ute. Had misplaced them just over a week ago, no Tile tracker on the keyring. Starting to stress a bit, decided to have what a workmate always called “a Mum look” - slow and methodical.

Found them on the wrong side of the next shelf, under an envelope.