Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-08-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default VFACTS July 2023

Ranger number 1 for the month, Ford up 60% and in number 3 for July.

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-new...urns-to-normal

Top 10 Brands -
Toyota 19,191 Down 1.9%
Mazda 8307 Up 5.4%
Ford 7109 Up 60.1%
Hyundai 6521 Down 4.0%
Kia 6150 Down 8.4%
MG 5347 Up 77.2%
Mitsubishi 4143 Down 26.2%
Tesla 3934 Up >999%
Subaru 3553 Up 25.9%
Isuzu Ute 3340 Up 21.5%

Top 10 Models -
Ford Ranger: 5143
Toyota HiLux: 4670
MG ZS: 3852
Tesla Model Y: 3330
Toyota RAV4: 2750
Toyota Corolla: 2145
Isuzu D-Max: 2070
Hyundai i30: 1865
Toyota Prado: 1836
Mitsubishi Outlander: 1778
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-08-2023, 08:20 PM   #2
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: VFACTS July 2023

Ford Numbers

Ford Escape – 303
Ford Everest – 1288
Ford Fiesta – 5
Ford Focus – 0
Ford Mustang – 120
Ford Puma – 123
Ford Ranger 4x2 – 315
Ford Ranger 4x4 – 4828
Ford Transit Bus – 0
Ford Transit Custom – 117
Ford Transit Heavy – 10
Ford Total – 7109
Mustang GT

Old 03-08-2023, 10:15 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Look at MG up on the sales charts - this is because everyone else abandoned the cheap segment to them and now prices are going up and up and up.

Ford Puma numbers laughable as always, 4x2 Ranger is back down in numbers when it was doing 400-500 month.

Ford Puma is a problem, they pump the advertising but the market isn't interested - they sell nearly as many Transits and Mustangs as their entry level market proposition.

There's that many Gen Y/Gen Z women that the Puma should be flying off the shelves for but its not converting into sales.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2023, 03:06 PM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Look at MG up on the sales charts - this is because everyone else abandoned the cheap segment to them and now prices are going up and up and up.

Ford Puma numbers laughable as always, 4x2 Ranger is back down in numbers when it was doing 400-500 month.

Ford Puma is a problem, they pump the advertising but the market isn't interested - they sell nearly as many Transits and Mustangs as their entry level market proposition.

There's that many Gen Y/Gen Z women that the Puma should be flying off the shelves for but its not converting into sales.
That will never happen if the Puma costs $10K more...is the MG3 the main competitor? I don't know much about this segment although have had Puma's as loan vehicles during service time and they are a fabulous drive.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2023, 04:24 PM   #5
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:

Ford Puma awful car. When my FG X was at the dealer last year having the diff bushes and center bearing replaced, they gave me loan car which was a Puma. As soon as I took off I thought "Wow what a rough engine. Is it a diesel"? I'd almost take the MG ZS I was loaned earlier this year over the Puma.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2023, 04:48 PM   #6
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrkuss
Guess I need to kinda stick here and read. Really wanna quit, I'm still young.

There’s no stock of Puma.
Check dealers !

Obviously Ford Ute can’t get them from FOE.

If Ford had stock they should sell 1500 month
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Ford Puma awful car. When my FG X was at the dealer last year having the diff bushes and center bearing replaced, they gave me loan car which was a Puma. As soon as I took off I thought "Wow what a rough engine. Is it a diesel"? I'd almost take the MG ZS I was loaned earlier this year over the Puma.
Having just had time with a ZS, and having driven a Puma, the ZS isn’t in the same league. MG’s are truly budget cars, but with not so budget prices.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2023, 05:23 PM   #8
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Having just had time with a ZS, and having driven a Puma, the ZS isn’t in the same league. MG’s are truly budget cars, but with not so budget prices.
My wife has a Puma ST-Line in that nice bright Blue, it’s a lovely little car. It drives well (it’s good for a squirt down the street with that punchy little engine), it handles really well for a “Fat Fiesta”.

It’s a great little car, it looks really nice, I wish we had the glass roof.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2023, 05:24 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Check dealers !

Yet they seem to be able to get their hands on Ranger and Everest, I think all the effort is going into those two rather than standing up to FoE where they just throw their hands up in the air and gone 'oh well, Ford Europe won't give us any cars'.

You can see where all the effort goes, if suddenly Ford Australia got cut off from Ranger and Everest, I bet they'd put on a real big song and dance to keep those coming in
Old 04-08-2023, 05:28 PM   #10
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yet they seem to be able to get their hands on Ranger and Everest, I think all the effort is going into those two rather than standing up to FoE where they just throw their hands up in the air and gone 'oh well, Ford Europe won't give us any cars'.

You can see where all the effort goes, if suddenly Ford Australia got cut off from Ranger and Everest, I bet they'd put on a real big song and dance to keep those coming in
I asked our Ford Dealer about the lead time on a Puma order, the answer was at least 8 months.

I wonder how many sales are lost at those enquiries at dealerships ?

What’s the wait on an MG in that class ? 15 minutes ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
I asked our Ford Dealer about the lead time on a Puma order, the answer was at least 8 months.

We got a new i30N sedan, in manual in about 2 months and they had like 10 on the yard if you wanted second hand ones too + a couple demos.

So there's new cars about without ridiculous wait times like 8 months.

Availability is a huge part of selling any product, I wouldn't wait 8 months for a car thats for sure.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-08-2023 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-08-2023, 06:10 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

Not long enough!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 04-08-2023, 06:17 PM   #13
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
My wife has a Puma ST-Line in that nice bright Blue, it’s a lovely little car. It drives well (it’s good for a squirt down the street with that punchy little engine), it handles really well for a “Fat Fiesta”.

It’s a great little car, it looks really nice, I wish we had the glass roof.
I've driven Puma's a few times now and liked them far more than I was expecting. The drive so nice and the engine has some character to it.

But...........I think those who do manage to get a test drive might be put off by the gruff sounding engine. I like it because it's got some character to it, even if it has no top end power. For a torquey run around, its feels very nippy without having to deal with diesel issues or the expense of a hybrid.
Mustang GT

Old 04-08-2023, 10:35 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's daylight between Toyota and the next best which are fairly close.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-08-2023, 10:46 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
It's daylight between Toyota and the next best which are fairly close.
It's because of Toyota's range, they've just got more chips down on the roulette table so they're going to scoop up more sales because they offer more products.

They've got circa 20 options to choose from on their website.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:19 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

With no local factory to support I can't see why a manufacturer would care if they aren't competing in every segment, or even about vfacts figures. Apart from a handful of people of AFF, who else actually cares about sales figures of cars?

Ford Rangers and Everest start at about $60k and they sold around 6000 of them. They're probably making more coin now than when they sold 10000 falcons a month.
Old 04-08-2023, 11:24 PM   #17
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's about the trends in the market. I couldn't give a **** either really when I drive a 20yr old car but would probably **** whip most of those in the top 10
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2023, 06:32 AM   #18
UTXR8

took a Puma for a test drive last week, and it was nice....however, the missus didnt like the look of it....so we have decided on a Skoda Kamiq Monte Carlo instead....she loves it...
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2023, 07:13 AM   #19
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Check dealers !

Add to that any vans. On collecting our Custom for a quick repair, I asked the sales manager when can I order a new one...he just shook his head..there is a basic dealer bulletin on the next new model, no real time-line on when they are available and no pricing or specs so you can order with "price and spec clauses to cancel if not willing to proceed" once all the details come through.

The showroom had 7 or 8 Rangers inside all with sold signs on the windscreen and awaiting handover, not one was below Wildtrak spec...and I have to say the Ranger Platinum in Equinox looked incredible.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2023, 08:11 AM   #20
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
With no local factory to support I can't see why a manufacturer would care if they aren't competing in every segment, or even about vfacts figures. Apart from a handful of people of AFF, who else actually cares about sales figures of cars?

Ford Rangers and Everest start at about $60k and they sold around 6000 of them. They're probably making more coin now than when they sold 10000 falcons a month.
These threads are the same every month. Its not about caring about car sales thats for sure.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2023, 09:25 AM   #21
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
I've driven Puma's a few times now and liked them far more than I was expecting. The drive so nice and the engine has some character to it.

But...........I think those who do manage to get a test drive might be put off by the gruff sounding engine. I like it because it's got some character to it, even if it has no top end power. For a torquey run around, its feels very nippy without having to deal with diesel issues or the expense of a hybrid.
There's no doubt it's probably the best SUV in it's class, turbo 3 cylinder engine and it's based on the Fiesta.

I'd rather the Fiesta, same thing except it's smaller and lighter, so it'll use less fuel, steer/corner/accelerate better than the Puma.

Puma is objectively worse in every metric compared to the Fiesta it's based on, like all SUVs - they're all compromises just like dual cab Thailand Specials where they do everything but nothing exceptionally.

Just because Thailand Specials and SUVs are popular it doesn't mean they're good - MAFS is popular too but I don't see anyone here advocating it's the best thing on FTA TV
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2023, 09:30 AM   #22
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

More than that, just about every vehicle that comes off a boat is already sold.
Why would Ford even bother bringing in dealer stock on the hope of a maybe sale?
Every place booked on a boat is precious, so I can’t see Ford reserving more places
for European build cars when there’s at least eight months wait for vehicles like Puma.

It’s sad because some of the vehicles Ford no longer builds (Fiesta & Focus?) could
possibly be built in places like Thailand or South Africa for our RHD region without
disrupting the rest of the Ford world, but yeah I know that business case is a pipe dream….

Last edited by jpd80; 05-08-2023 at 09:36 AM.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2023, 09:35 AM   #23
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Puma is objectively worse in every metric compared to the Fiesta it's based on, like all SUVs - they're all compromises just like dual cab Thailand Specials where they do everything but nothing exceptionally.
The metrics you mentioned only matter on forums. In the real world it's about ease of use.

My daughter has an SA Focus. We have ZH Escape. They aren't much higher off the ground but it makes a lot of difference getting in and out.

My folks traded their falcon on a Tucson. They'll never go back to a non suv.

Being slightly higher off the ground is what the market wanted.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:42 AM   #24
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTXR8 View Post
took a Puma for a test drive last week, and it was nice....however, the missus didnt like the look of it....so we have decided on a Skoda Kamiq Monte Carlo instead....she loves it...
Yeah two good cars.
I was going to get a Kamiq but Puma won with price.

Kamiq is a great rig.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:44 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
There's no doubt it's probably the best SUV in it's class, turbo 3 cylinder engine and it's based on the Fiesta.

I'd rather the Fiesta, same thing except it's smaller and lighter, so it'll use less fuel, steer/corner/accelerate better than the Puma.

Just remember when you’re talking Puma vs Fiesta, the difference can be as little as 150 kg.
The other thing is that Ford stopped building Fiesta last month so that option is now basically gone.
jpd80 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2023, 09:46 AM   #26
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just because Thailand Specials and SUVs are popular it doesn't mean they're good - MAFS is popular too but I don't see anyone here advocating it's the best thing on FTA TV

Ah Franco -you have never driven a Puma.
Wife had a 2012 1.6 na Fiesta.
I ve now got a 1.0 turbo 3 Puma.
Fuel consumption is better on Puma.
handling equal.
braking equal
Seat 100 points more better
Tech 200 points better-acc blind spot assist rev camera

You are wrong in this instance.

However if your comparison is a Fiesta ST it is a draw -you would want acceleration as no 1 -I want economy comfort and easy entry exit higher car.
Old 05-08-2023, 09:53 AM   #27
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
More than that, just about every vehicle that comes off a boat is already sold.
Why would Ford even bother bringing in dealer stock on the hope of a maybe sale?
Every place booked on a boat is precious, so I can’t see Ford reserving more places
for European build cars when there’s at least eight months wait for vehicles like Puma.

It’s sad because some of the vehicles Ford no longer builds (Fiesta & Focus?) could
possibly be built in places like Thailand or South Africa for our RHD region without
disrupting the rest of the Ford world, but yeah I know that business case is a pipe dream….
No doubt its actually more profitable for FOE to sell its cars in EUR than sell them to Ford Ute Aus.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:08 AM   #28
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The metrics you mentioned only matter on forums. In the real world it's about ease of use.

My daughter has an SA Focus. We have ZH Escape. They aren't much higher off the ground but it makes a lot of difference getting in and out.

My folks traded their falcon on a Tucson. They'll never go back to a non suv.

Being slightly higher off the ground is what the market wanted.
Quote:
Ah Franco -you have never driven a Puma.
Wife had a 2012 1.6 na Fiesta.
I ve now got a 1.0 turbo 3 Puma.

Fuel consumption is better on Puma.
handling equal.
braking equal
Seat 100 points more better
Tech 200 points better-acc blind spot assist rev camera

You are wrong in this instance.

However if your comparison is a Fiesta ST it is a draw -you would want acceleration as no 1 -I want economy comfort and easy entry exit higher car.
I don't ever intend on driving one either, I don't need to drive a Puma to know that its going to drive worse than the Fiesta its based on,

You're comparing apples and oranges between the NA Fiesta and the boosted Puma, one uses ye olde Ford Sigma engine with VVTI and the other is a modern turbo 1L 3 cylinder engine - compare it with a WZ Fiesta Sport which has the same engine as the Puma.

We've got both a WZ ST Fiesta and a povvo spec 1.6L WS CL Fiesta - the WZ ST Fiesta uses less fuel than the naturally aspirated variant while making twice the power and torque, both 1.6L 4 cylinder engines but one dates back to the 1990s.

I took said WZ Fiesta ST on a 4000km drive across VIC/NSW/QLD and ACT, and I've used it for Adelaide and return six times, I wouldn't say its 'uncomfortable' or 'difficult' to get in and out of but I suspect my tolerance is higher.

We've got the least amount of choice ever in the new car market we've ever seen, you want something thats not an SUV or a Thailand Special then good luck.

Two options under $60K for someone who wants something thats manual and boosted:

Hyundai i30N
Subaru WRX

I think the problem is I actually enjoy driving, the people who buy SUVs use them to get from A-B and thats why a white goods manufacturer like Toyota dominates the market.

Trying to change my opinion about SUVs and Thailand Specials, you'd have more luck convincing a brick wall

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 05-08-2023 at 10:14 AM.
Old 05-08-2023, 10:14 AM   #29
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

I know, off topic - but...

With all of this speak about seat height, I wonder how the seat height of a current SUV would compare to a HQ Kingswood / XA Falcon or a VN Commodore / EA Falcon.

Speaking of which, same with ground clearances.

I am only asking as since about 2002, sedans/wagons became more European like and became lower and lower. Was this in hindsight a mistake for Australia's market?

If seating positions had remained static over the years with seat heights etc in sedans/wagons would the sedan or wagon still be popular?
PG2 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2023, 10:21 AM   #30
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
I know, off topic - but...

With all of this speak about seat height, I wonder how the seat height of a current SUV would compare to a HQ Kingswood / XA Falcon or a VN Commodore / EA Falcon.

Speaking of which, same with ground clearances.

I am only asking as since about 2002, sedans/wagons became more European like and became lower and lower. Was this in hindsight a mistake for Australia's market?

If seating positions had remained static over the years with seat heights etc in sedans/wagons would the sedan or wagon still be popular?
Interesting point, curious about the difference between the Fiesta and Puma as well.