Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-10-2010, 09:31 PM   #61
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was under the impression that the dealerships had the diagnostic tools to do detect how many times the ECU has been flashed and what for?? have a good mate who works at the dealership up here and i as told how many times and why the old mans pursuit was flashed since new a few months ago and i verified it through them, they get flashed a bit apparently for software upgrades and stuff, maybe not all dealerships tho?
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:38 PM   #62
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezxr8man
i was under the impression that the dealerships had the diagnostic tools to do detect how many times the ECU has been flashed and what for?? have a good mate who works at the dealership up here and i as told how many times and why the old mans pursuit was flashed since new a few months ago and i verified it through them, they get flashed a bit apparently for software upgrades and stuff, maybe not all dealerships tho?
i`d say not all dealers have the same level of equiptment.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 01:33 AM   #63
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
He also stated they are not allowed to sell a Ford that has been tuned, although I do not know if that is a Ford ruling or a dealer ruling.
My last car had been flash tuned (and returned to stock before trade), the dealer that bought it didn't care and they sold it on their lot. I think some dealers should take more care in which cars they choose to buy, my car went through no mechanical check whatsoever, their "inspection" consisted of taking down the kilometres and the colour, that's it. For all they knew, the car could have been an ex-writeoff with a busted motor that had never been serviced in its life. Luckily for them I told them what had and had not been done with it.

Regarding whether or not regular dealers have the equipment to tell if a BF onwards has been flashed, when I got my old car serviced they knew it had been flashed. It was a new-ish service centre with the latest tech.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2010, 12:55 PM   #64
MR_SIDO
you'd be popular too.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
My last car had been flash tuned (and returned to stock before trade), the dealer that bought it didn't care and they sold it on their lot. I think some dealers should take more care in which cars they choose to buy, my car went through no mechanical check whatsoever, their "inspection" consisted of taking down the kilometres and the colour, that's it. For all they knew, the car could have been an ex-writeoff with a busted motor that had never been serviced in its life. Luckily for them I told them what had and had not been done with it.

Regarding whether or not regular dealers have the equipment to tell if a BF onwards has been flashed, when I got my old car serviced they knew it had been flashed. It was a new-ish service centre with the latest tech.
Ok, so what you are saying is that If you have flash tuned your vehicle you want the dealer to check and offer you thousands less then one that has not been flash tuned? are you happy with that?
Old 31-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #65
Terrarize
Starter Motor

Common opinon here im seeing...........Buyer beware and the dealer needs to do the righty here as we have all stated.It seems the dealer has shoulders like a galiano bottle and is trying to side step their responsibilities,who knows this may cause PR issues for Ford if it drags on
Terrarize is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #66
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I understand where the OP is coming from, but if the car has had a flash tune how is it Fords (not dealer) that the original factory warranty is voided.
One would reasonably expect as part of the std going over a used car the ecu be reflashed to the lastest software thus avoiding the potentual for future problems , any company that doesnt make the car as close to factory as possible is making bad assumptions or is failing in it's duty to correctly service the car and by doing so must accept problems for failure to check well and find if condition ius as described in the warranty

Last edited by atec77; 31-10-2010 at 01:20 AM.
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 10:41 AM   #67
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobman
If it's minor and has potential of being very expensive, then I'd suggest to stop driving it.
Can you elaborate on the exact problem? Might be better off repairing it yourself as getting a dealer to repair it under warranty could just end up with more problems!

sorry bud but your post is rubbish and still leaves owner with car that is marked as altered and owner as someone who gives in easy. your advice would kill any future claims,im actually amazed you wrote this dribble,some of you need to think before you type.Darcati, take it back to dealer and start making a scene, they are taking your politeness as a joke, best wait till you see several customers in there and start yelling now, you have been more than fair to them now they are quite obviously standing over you with dribble.

Last edited by OLDFORDNUT; 31-10-2010 at 10:48 AM.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 10:55 AM   #68
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_SIDO
Ok, so what you are saying is that If you have flash tuned your vehicle you want the dealer to check and offer you thousands less then one that has not been flash tuned? are you happy with that?
Naturally, the $$ will vary but 90% of the people that mod their cars know:

a) they wont get their money back
b) in most cases returning it to stock helps sell the car

I find it odd that this post is the ONLY post from someone in the dealer network.

Heres a solution, perhaps, buy a secondary ECU to flash and play with, then return your original when trading..unless ECU's are matched to cars but I would have thought its just the same as any other part, generic.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #69
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
One would reasonably expect as part of the std going over a used car the ecu be reflashed to the lastest software thus avoiding the potentual for future problems , any company that doesnt make the car as close to factory as possible is making bad assumptions or is failing in it's duty to correctly service the car and by doing so must accept problems for failure to check well and find if condition ius as described in the warranty
I reckon thats a good idea
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 09:04 PM   #70
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I reckon thats a good idea
But the damage could have already be done to the motor, so flashing back to original or latest flash wont make any differece
I can see both sides here, and feel for the new owner, but I can also see Fords point of view too
Old 31-10-2010, 11:04 PM   #71
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
But the damage could have already be done to the motor, so flashing back to original or latest flash wont make any differece
I can see both sides here, and feel for the new owner, but I can also see Fords point of view too
I think theyre talking about the dealer, not Ford. Fords responsibility, if they have any, is between Ford and the Dealer and will depend on their contractual arrangements.

The OP on the other hand, that will be based on the contract between buyer and dealer, ie: Warranty.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2010, 11:28 PM   #72
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
I think theyre talking about the dealer, not Ford. Fords responsibility, if they have any, is between Ford and the Dealer and will depend on their contractual arrangements.

The OP on the other hand, that will be based on the contract between buyer and dealer, ie: Warranty.
Sorry I mis read