Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 PM   #121
hayseed

Default Re: Why Ford will fail in Australia.

The Australian car market is (roughly)1.25% of the Global market. Of which 2/3rs is Left hand Drive.
Ford head office aren't gunna lose Too Much Sleep over some little RHD outpost at the Bottom of the Globe. Despite what platitudes they Spew.

They will keep sending Us; Rangers Mustangs & Transits while ever We keep Buying them, & Whatever RHD Vehicles they Think We Might Buy/Deserve..

And that's just the way It Is, IMHO..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:27 PM   #122
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
The Australian car market is (roughly)1.25% of the Global market. Of which 2/3rs is Left hand Drive.
Ford head office aren't gunna lose Too Much Sleep over some little RHD outpost at the Bottom of the Globe. Despite what platitudes they Spew.

They will keep sending Us; Rangers Mustangs & Transits while ever We keep Buying them, & Whatever RHD Vehicles they Think We Might Buy/Deserve..

Ford has an alliance with VW to use their electric vehicle toolkit, so should be some
interesting vehicles coming in the next few years.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 02-11-2020, 08:36 PM   #123
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:

Correct, for some hope on getting more USA product we go LH drive
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #124
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget Ford Aus should have access to the new shared Van options with VW.
From what I can work out it means we should have a Ford version of the VW Caddy which opens up some fun options, being that the new Van is based off the new Golf platform.

Ford is also working on a 1 ton Van as part of the program also. I haven't seen any news on where that is going but are interested if anything cool is developing there.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #125
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford have had a VW caddy equivalent for years, the Transit Connect.
Wouldn't expect a shared one any more likely to get here.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #126
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Don't forget Ford Aus should have access to the new shared Van options with VW.
From what I can work out it means we should have a Ford version of the VW Caddy which opens up some fun options, being that the new Van is based off the new Golf platform.

Ford is also working on a 1 ton Van as part of the program also. I haven't seen any news on where that is going but are interested if anything cool is developing there.
Next Gen Crafter is supposed to be a RWD Transit built by Ford in Turkey.
There's no word on Transit Custom - Crafter tie up but I bet something is in the works..
Transit Connect becomes a Caddy because Caddy gets access to VW MQB EV toolkit and AV tech.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2020, 11:26 PM   #127
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Everyone makes mistakes, hindsight is a wonderful thing but this mob just keeps making one stupid decision after another and thats fine, they get paid well to make them, what annoys me is when joe average like myself suggests they've misread the market and get condascending responses by those spruiking the party line with their inside intel only to see a policy backflip 10 minutes later when they realise they ****ed up and those same spruikers then go on to tell you about the genius deciscion thats been made at HQ that contradicts everything before it.
Don't worry next week they'll have a new CEO and do a 270 degree turn and head off in another direction

I've got leaked footage of Ford USA's board meetings with the CEO determining company strategy:

Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2020, 02:12 PM   #128
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In case anyone is interested, I didn’t see the need for a new thread for this, they’ve painted over all the Ford signs at the Geelong plant this week. Was actually a little shock to the head seeing all the signs gone.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-11-2020, 12:32 PM   #129
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed

Yep. Our market is a small pimple on the worlds butt. Ford just want FoA to stay profitable on what they sell here, and that's about it. North America is where most of the money is. And where they rightly put their main focus on.

But in saying that, Ranger is Fords second most profitable model.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2020, 12:34 PM   #130
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
In case anyone is interested, I didn’t see the need for a new thread for this, they’ve painted over all the Ford signs at the Geelong plant this week. Was actually a little shock to the head seeing all the signs gone.
The site has been handed over to Fortek now, and the Product Engineering offices separated from the manufacturing plants.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:22 PM   #131
stevefreestyle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Here's an interesting analysis of Ford in Australia...By a very polarising Figure I Know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9X49mzrn-I
This rabid anti-Ford conceited cretin has to be unequivocally the biggest F###Wit on Youtube - my 96yr old mother knows more about Fords than this idiot, with his monumental, grotesquely disproportionate, and ironic arrogance!
stevefreestyle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2020, 04:53 PM   #132
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevefreestyle View Post
This rabid anti-Ford conceited cretin has to be unequivocally the biggest F###Wit on Youtube - my 96yr old mother knows more about Fords than this idiot, with his monumental, grotesquely disproportionate, and ironic arrogance!
Trouble is,on most points he is 100% on the money.Sometimes you just have to take the blue tinged glasses off and look clearly at the big picture
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #133
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

I do have a fetish for a 2.7L Workmate Thailux with a Borgwarner EFR 6258 hanging off the side of it
Ah, my trusty northwest Chariot.
Mount the Borg Warner over the rear axle, maybe put a carton or two there as well, you'll be sweet and the ute a bit more balanced than my revvy, thrashy, bouncy workmobile.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #134
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Probably because it’s easier to drop the price than raise it.
Ford has a new leader who’s more of a car guy than the last,
I think he knows that things aren’t right.
Always good when a car guy runs an automotive business.

Edit: last 15 years of the US companies in Australia have been a fascinating resource of how not to run a business. Ford has survived which is good, and has seen off old rival Holden. We've seen merry go rounds of CEOs, model names, pricing strategies; we've seen Jeep soar like a comet and go down in quality control flames. The bit where the GM executive told Australians they would have to be educated to FWD in the Commodore was classic hubris before a terrible fall. And Ford survived in spite of it all.

If it were me, and I could get Dearborn to sign off, I'd develop a separate line and import & convert America's strength: F150, Expedition, Explorer etc - to add more ute and SUV in massive size to the already successful Ranger and Everest.

Last edited by Sprintey; 10-11-2020 at 07:59 PM.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #135
Bossxr8
Peter Car

4th highest seller atm. If Ford are failing, then what are the other 50 odd car brands doing so wrong?
Old 11-11-2020, 06:21 PM   #136
minheim

As we see electrification of vehicles increase I suspect the ability and design and build them in both RHD and LHD will increase along with cost savings. Hopefully this see a bigger range of Ford cars for Australia in the years ahead.

I think Ford are here for the long haul and afre transitioning well to bring an importer. So long as they can improve their marketing they have great vehicles to work from.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #137
minheim

As we see electrification of vehicles increase I suspect the ability to design and build them in both RHD and LHD will increase along with cost savings. Hopefully this sees a bigger range of Ford cars for Australia in the years ahead.

I think Ford are here for the long haul and are transitioning well to being an importer. So long as they can improve their marketing they have great vehicles to work from.
minheim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 06:26 PM   #138
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by minheim View Post
As we see electrification of vehicles increase I suspect the ability to design and build them in both RHD and LHD will increase along with cost savings. Hopefully this sees a bigger range of Ford cars for Australia in the years ahead.

I think Ford are here for the long haul and are transitioning well to being an importer. So long as they can improve their marketing they have great vehicles to work from.
There will be a time when no exhaust system and no steering column means designing both will be easier and cheaper.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #139
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

The latest Auto Expert epistle will get a mixed reaction too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgVY...ertJohnCadogan

My sympathies to the non-enduring Endura owners.
Old 11-11-2020, 10:09 PM   #140
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
The latest Auto Expert epistle will get a mixed reaction too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgVY...ertJohnCadogan

My sympathies to the non-enduring Endura owners.
Wub wub wub wub wub goes the 2009-spec dubstep intro
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post