Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #241
boxo
fit 'n' turn

Awhile ago one friday night after work (3:30pm) i was just about to head off to wangaratta to go on a first date with my now fiance. Pulling into the driveway at home i hear the bearing in the alternator has ***** itself. I go to the auto elec and grab a newie, goes in no worries (5:30pm) only the lock bolt to put in, for some stupid reason i decide to start the car and see if the noise is gone. So i start the car, noise is gone, jobs done? NO, with the car still running i reach over to put the bolt in, the bolt falls thru my fingers down between the harmonic ballancer and shatters the bottom half of the timing case!! FU%K!!!!!!
To make matters worse my harmonic puller stripped the thread had to buy a new one and the last person (probably me) to take the fan off had rounded the head on one of the four fan bolts,
and i had to take the water pump off with the fan still attached (not easy)
Finally got the car back together (4:30am) after 10 hours and the test drive was straight to wangaratta the next morning.
THE AWESOME POWER OF THE PUSSY!
Cheers
Old 03-02-2007, 06:52 PM   #242
2smooth
xygtho

well this is what ive done.The first time i put new spark plugs in the xy, easy u'd think. when i put the leads back on i put then in order 123456 instead of the firing order. tryed to start it and all i got was white puffs out of the carby and some strange noises. so here's me freaking out thinking ive stuffed my pride and joy . talk about embarrasment seeing as i boke up my dad's card game with his 5 mates telling him ive rooted it then he fixed it in 2 seconds and i never lived it down. didn't damage anything but felt like a complete noob.
2smooth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 10:42 PM   #243
eb5ltr
Starter Motor

best ive seen has been mate droping his car off a hoist 8ft in the air
(ps he is a mechanic so should know better than to do what he did in a car yard)
lmfao
eb5ltr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2007, 11:04 PM   #244
risben

Some really funny reading here. My turn - this happened recently:

Two months ago my partners mother was complaining about the rear end bottoming out when she went over bumps. Me, being the caring buttsuck that I am, said "Go buy shocks, I'll install 'em for you". A week later, shocks arrive, no problems, jack the car up (with a hydraulic), pull a shock out, to the vice, push-pull-push-pull, find it's well and truly gone, etc., etc.... I look over to the far wall and see a set of what looks like some heavier springs. Methinks, "the car's already up... whack'em in, see if they fit." Pull out the old spring, measure them - 1 1/2 inches shorter, but heavier, same diameter, no problem.
I go to put one in - it's too short to sit in the cup, so I put my head over the rear wheel so I can make sure the spring seats properly... as I lower the jack..
I can tell you, the rear end of an EA is even harder to lift by hand when your heads caught between the rear wheel and the arch! Screaming like a ******, I was stuck under the car for a good full minute, holding it up so my neck wasn't crushed, until my partner reached me and managed to jack the car up.

What made matters worse was that I had to explain to her how the use the jack with my head still under it, panicking to the sh!thouse!

78 Cortina project - 4.1 5 speed, 350 Holley, Extractors:
to do: fit gearbox, air conditioning, roadworthy & rego

83 XE Falcon in stock rust trim, pre-compliance LPG, PB 390km/62l

B.Arts(Latrobe), PGradDip CompSci(Latrobe), Cert IV Basic Electronics(BRIT), B.Beer(Latrobe), M.Bullsh!t(Ford Forums)
risben is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 01:00 AM   #245
bonspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOOnly two weeks ago, I jumped in the car, put it in reverse, and away I went. Only to hear a big bang, and did not realise I didn't open the garage door! Opps.
My missus went off as I did this same thing only 4 years ago......

HA HA, Charter boat????? what charter boat?
bonspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 02:35 AM   #246
AUIIISR

[QUOTE=AU Man]I too have done a few of the things mentioned above . I can add the following.

I just finished changing the rear brake pads and tightening the wheels then i placed the mag wheel lock nut on the roof of the car so I would remember to put it in the glove box when I got in the car. Sure enough I forgot and went for a drive to bed in the brake pads with the wheel lock nut on the roof. I spent many hours with a punch and hammer getting those lock nuts off!QUOTE]

Cut the end off a spark plug and belt it on with a mallet :evil3:
AUIIISR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 08:15 AM   #247
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Threw an power extension lead over the top of a car (work in progress). When I walked around the other side I realised it had landed in a 44-gallon drum of water (from the washing machine in the shed). I stuck my hand in the drum of water and retrieved the end of the lead .. walked back to where it was plugged in an realised it was still turned on?! Don't know why I didn't get a shock?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:53 AM   #248
Schmick76
Pet_ED

Changed an auto transmission on the ED and didnt put the torque convertor in the tranny far enough.
When i tried to turn over the engine it was jammed and bent the torque convertor and the tranny pump.
Had to pull the tranny out and replace all the bent stuff. $$
At least the flywheel wasnt bent.
2.5" Exhaust
Blue Dash LED Conversion
EL Thermo Fans
15" Mags Bridgies Grid II 225's
Schmick76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 11:08 AM   #249
Work Horse
Budget Racer

A mate was working on his car in his driveway. Things were not going as planned so he vented his anger on his socket extention. Throwing it as hard as he could down the driveway.

Imagine his surprise when it hit the ground only once before bouncing across the road, over the front fence of his neighbour and smashed through the front window!

But not just any neighbour, it was the neighbour he did not get on with. Who had complained to him since he moved in about cars/noise etc, who had rung the police before and generally was just looking for another reason to complain.

My mate knew his neighbour was on holidays, so quickly made his way across the road to try and hide the evidence. He was just in time to meet another neighbour at the gate. That neighbour asked, "did you hear that?" and said he had a key to get in!

Thinking quickly, my mate told him to go around the back and he would go in through the broken window. My mate climbs in through the broken window and cuts himself quite badly. Finds himself in the main bedroom and starts looking for his socket extention. Can't see it until he looks under the bed and quickly sticks it in his pocket just as the neighbour arrives from the back door. There is blood is all over the carpet and the bed.

The neighbour arrives home from holidays and hears the story of my mates bravery protecting his home form a breakin. He arrives on my mates door step with a slab, apologising that he had miss judged him. They have remained firm friends since. :
Old 09-02-2007, 11:29 AM   #250
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Red face Oils ain't oils

Last century I changed the oil in my 2.6 lit Magna. Drained the old, changed the filter, toped up with new and headed off to Parramatta. After stopping at a set of lights on a slight hill the car was hardly moving. Limped home, checked the oil and it was way over the full mark on the dip stick.
So have you figured out what I had done?
Yes I had drained the auto trans fluid instead.
Ended up OK, the car was still covered by warranty and the nice lads at the dealer replaced the auto trans for nicks. I was one happy and Lucky camper.

Uncle Ken :togo:
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 12:56 PM   #251
mUTHA
DALLY 41

replacing fuel pump... decided the one way valve would work better backards...

later found it running shitfully.. took it to ford

had put a CPI pump into my EF

ding dong

www.perthfalcons.com
mUTHA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 04:01 PM   #252
njla

Long Story,

Rebuilding my clevo, a mate was replacing the thrust plate and timing gear set. Put the larger gear in backwards (hmm) when the motor was turned buy hand it ground the thrust plate into sand. I spent 2 hours getting it all out with a vacum....

Going to a wreckers to get another one....

I dropped one of the wreckers (big dude, looked like a viking) sockets down the front oil gallery of a clevo that was about to be sold for scrap. It was a good sidchrome one too. ive never been back there.
njla is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 09:37 PM   #253
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Done most of these at some time or another, except setting car/person on fire

My best story is we were checking the oil, water etc on a friends Pajero just before he drove back to Brisbane and left a Makita rechargeable torch under the bonnet. Friend drove back to Brisbane which is about 2000kms from my place.
About a week later I realised I was missing the torch and thought when I last used it, called friend and asked if he put it away somewhere different or something, NO he says, I say just go check under your bonnet, there it was, fallen down between the radiator and something else.
He had taken his car into Mitsubishi down there after his trip for a service as well and they never found it

Got it back a few weeks later via a 3rd friend who was coming to visit

Anyone got a tool that has travelled further?? And returned safely.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 09:57 PM   #254
feebs
BrwnBstd

Only a set of vise grips that stayed on a hand brake cable for a month or two!!
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #255
feebs
BrwnBstd

Speaking of which..

On the weekend, I reversed the ba onto some ramps to fix said handbrake, usually I do this on grass, this time as it was hot, so I did it in the carport (smooth grano).

Half way up, I had to give it some more gas.

BOTH ramps shot forward, the car stayed still, bang.. I am glad I have only lowered the front and not the rear as the damage was minimal, the car ramps are cactus.

Do not do this.
feebs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 12:44 AM   #256
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Ok i am guilty of one last weekend.

i was helping a friend with his car last weekend, and had the car up on a hoist.

I was using the hammer and decided to hang it off the sway bar since i didnt have a tool belt or anything.

Anyway, i forgot about it and my friend started lowering the hoist and the car stopped coming down when it nearly reached the bottom before going BANG and crashing down.

Turns out the hammer had been supporting the weight off the car by pushing in the sump and balancing off the crankshaft and the floor!!!

Not happy friend afterwards...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2007, 01:24 AM   #257
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

i started cutting some holes in my parcel shelf for some speakers in the ea. using an angle grinder, and remembering half way into it i had the lpg gas tank in the boot. woopsie :(:(

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2007, 10:15 PM   #258
lvas

Last Weekend, Had A Mate Over To Service Car. Anyways Serviced His Car Then He Wanted To Help Me Strip Mine In The Shed (project Xc) I Asked Him If He Wanted To Remove The Passenger Front Door, He Was Like... Yep Cool. Stood Behind Him Passing The Sockets For The Bolt And He Was Saying "nope, Too Small, Nope Too Small" For Bout 10 Sockets. So I Was Like" Give Me Alook Mate"..... He Was Using The Half Inch Side Of Each Socket (28 Years Old). I Was Stunned But Good On Him For Having A Go
lvas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 AM   #259
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Laminge]Dropping the keys into the petrol tank of my vh valiant, and spending 4 hours hooking them out, and 24 hours detoxing from the petrol fumes

What were you doing to drop your keys into the petrol tank???
:
Old 03-05-2007, 01:10 AM   #260
Rock ape

This is funny
Just got my BA GT parked it in the shed and went away to work for 2 weeks. Fly back home go to start the GT. Nothing happens dash lights come on but motor will not turn over. Ok flat battery. Go and buy a starter pack get home hook it all up and it still wont start. I mess around for 2 hours getting very ****ed off.
I forgot about the starter button.

New FG XR6T ZF
Rock ape is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2007, 01:27 AM   #261
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGT001
This is funny
Just got my BA GT parked it in the shed and went away to work for 2 weeks. Fly back home go to start the GT. Nothing happens dash lights come on but motor will not turn over. Ok flat battery. Go and buy a starter pack get home hook it all up and it still wont start. I mess around for 2 hours getting very ****ed off.
I forgot about the starter button.
what? they wont turn over on the key alone?
Old 03-05-2007, 04:40 AM   #262
BZINGA