Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > Eurofordclub.com > EuroFordClub.com

EuroFordClub.com European Ford Owners Club of Australia forum

Old 27-12-2006, 11:51 PM   #1
stephenianjames
Starter Motor

Default 1.8 litre zetec mods

Hi guys...this is my first post so please bear with me.

I am building a Lotus 7 clubman type kit car using a 1.8 litre Zetec (from a 2003 Focus) and would like some suggestions for good value performance upgrades. I know there are some goodies available in the UK such as Weber/Alpha management systems etc, but these are nearly 1700 quid so there wouldn't be much change from 5 grand landed.

Is there a cheaper way of fitting Webers/Dellorto's etc or would I best look elsewhere?

I'm new to the Zetec's so please take it easy on me! Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers,

Steve

stephenianjames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
Uni

G'day,
first off, the Zetecs only came out with two litre engines. The 1.8 from all accounts is a pretty average donk and is lacking any sort of variable valve timing gear or anything else that even vaguely resembles technology, so i personally wouldn't touch it for a sporty clubman-type car.

if it were my money and it had to be a 1.8, i'd be looking at a Honda donk like the B18C. They were in the integras and, depending on the series (they were developed up to B18C7, which ran in the Integra Type R from 1996) they're good for up to 210hp (154kw).

they're also a fairly compact donk so you shouldn't have too much trouble fitting it. They also have a huge aftermarket support network... Spoon have a couple of very nifty management/intake/exhaust goodies for them which are pretty easy to source here in Oz.

hope that helps

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 02:40 AM   #3
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

A little confusion here from Uni. Whilst Ford marketed the Zetec as the sportier LR Focus, the engines are all "Zetec" engines, including the 1.8 from the manual CL and LX.

The Zetec engine basically has no one simple bolt on that will give big power increase. Instead, a series of the familar modifications can help. Intake (Pipercross Viper is my choice) and exhaust mods(header, sports cat and 2.25 inch exhaust) help the engine breath better. Ford Racing in the US also sell a CNC'd head with larger valves which my help further. But your first choice should probably be engine management, tuned for higher octane fuel. For example the Focus CL automatic model had a 2 litre Zetec engine rated at about 84kw. The very same engine was in the "zetec" model, producing 96kw, all because it was recalibrated for a 95+RON.

Check out www.ffoc.cc.uk for some who have fitted multiple throttle bodies, cince I don't think anyone in Oz has gone that route
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Uni

Ahhh ok, sorry for the confusion.. Honestly, who names their engine and their car the same thing?!

i stand by my previous point on the selection of an engine. i cringe at the amount of money that would be required to extract 210hp from the ford 1.8 with or without forced induction...

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
BlackLS

Go a Duratec.

Talk to dave_vic_oz, you should be able to find his trail over the internet.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

hmmm there is a supercharger kit from Ford Racing Parts but its for a 2.0.....produces about 157kw at the wheels......285bhp in total..(Fly)

but as melbzetec said intake exhaust and an ECU tune and your flying. and also you dont need HUGE amounts of power...as you said its a clubman and the power to weight ratio is already heaps. if your not happy with what the engine produces with those mods look into a new set of cams. semi-race ones....anymore than that and you will have to start looking at making sure the power gets to the ground without spinning your wheels to a crisp.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2006, 12:52 AM   #7
stephenianjames
Starter Motor

Hi again,

Thanks for the various opinions. I know Dave Down (Dave_Vic_Oz) who is building a Duratech Clubman. I considered the Duratec also but the Zetec makes for a simpler build and think that even the 1.8 litre will make for a pretty fast ride. The power upgrades are for future consideration.

I'll look further into the intake/exhaust, cams and engine management. I was hoping there might be a simple way of fitting Webers or Dellortos for power gains, but perhaps it's best to save up for the Alpha 3D system.

Cheers,

Steve
Old 29-12-2006, 05:52 PM   #8
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
if it were my money and it had to be a 1.8, i'd be looking at a Honda donk like the B18C. They were in the integras and, depending on the series (they were developed up to B18C7, which ran in the Integra Type R from 1996) they're good for up to 210hp (154kw).
The Jap motors had 154kw stock the Aussie ones had 141kw. The early Honda engines also rotated in a different direction to most engines so getting a gearbox to fit may be difficult. The later K20's rotate in the same direction as "normal" engines.

The NSW PRB distributor has done a few F20 (Honda S2000) powered PRB clubmans.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 02:33 PM   #9
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uni
Ahhh ok, sorry for the confusion.. Honestly, who names their engine and their car the same thing?!
Not as bad as what they did with the Fiesta, named a model "Zetec" when it has the Duratec engine in it. Anyhow...

The 1.8L Zetec engine is the exact same engine as the 2L Zetec engine mechanically except for a smaller bore (80.6mm vs 84.8mm). None of the Zetec range out of the Focus have variable valve timing, whether it is 1.8L or 2L. The 1.8L and the 2L in the CL and LX models even have the exact same horsepower, the 2L engine has slightly more torque though due to its larger bore to compensate for being strapped to an automatic, as all 1.8Ls were manuals.

Stephen, I have just moved house but when I unearth a certain book I have, I'll post the details. It is all about modifying the Zetec engine, they have dyno charts for every mod they do and show the best combinations. They don't do old school style manifolds like Webers or D'ellortos though.

Timmeh
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2006, 03:57 PM   #10
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Stephen if you haven't visited here already (and you possibly have), Burton Power in the UK have a full range of parts for conversions, including inlet manifolds for fitting Weber DCOE's to the Zetec engine. e.g Inlet manifold for 2 DCOE's is £123

Hope this helps, and would love to know how your project progresses

https://www.burtonpower.com/default..../tt_zetec.html
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 05:57 PM   #11
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Stephen;

This book comes up in ebay stores fairly often, you may be able to order it in or borrow it somewhere. It's got alot of good information in it that you may be interested in, regarding Zetec buildups.

High Performance Ford Focus Builders Handbook by Richard Holdener.

It covers building up the Zetec and Duratec engines, for naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, and nitrous applications, all with dyno charts.

Might help you with your build.

Tim
Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM   #12
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Stephen;

This book comes up in ebay stores fairly often, you may be able to order it in or borrow it somewhere. It's got alot of good information in it that you may be interested in, regarding Zetec buildups.

High Performance Ford Focus Builders Handbook by Richard Holdener.

It covers building up the Zetec and Duratec engines, for naturally aspirated, turbocharged, supercharged, and nitrous applications, all with dyno charts.

Might help you with your build.

Tim
there isnt one for the Fiesta is there ...say the 1.6 Duratec?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 05:52 PM   #13
Timmeh
Fairmont Ghia

Not sure mate, you could try googling something, but it isn't listed in the list of other publications they put out, sorry. But the Fez is newer and they may have put out something since?

Timmeh
Old 06-01-2007, 12:05 AM   #14
stephenianjames
Starter Motor

Thanks again guys for the links and info on the book...I'll definitely track down a copy before I start throwing money at the conversion kits.

I haven't even started the build at this stage (not far away though...picking up a new chassis and engine shortly).

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers,

Steve