Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Thoughts on Text Lingo in this forum
Like it 21 6.52%
Ambivalent towards it 46 14.29%
Dislike it 83 25.78%
Should be banned 172 53.42%
Voters: 322. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 01:44 PM   #61
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282
Остальная часть этого только напоминает русского или кое-что
Я могу использовать камрада рыб babel слишком
Old 11-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #62
Paris Hilton
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Я могу использовать камрада рыб babel слишком

мои искуства перевода более лушие после этого твое однако
Old 11-02-2006, 02:48 PM   #63
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slection
мои искуства перевода более лушие после этого твое однако
why does this writing on the internet make me feel like my computer is about to ge a virus and my bank account drained of all money?

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:25 PM   #64
JG3282
Awake after dark

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
Old 12-02-2006, 07:03 PM   #65
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As well as the SMS lingo there is onother thing that annoys me we are in Australia and for example tyres are spelt with a Y not an I and we end some words with ise not ize eg: authorise not authorize - leave that to the yanks not us
We are Australians - be proud and true blue :
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Old 12-02-2006, 10:52 PM   #66
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
be proud and true blue :
I don't like monarchists...true blue = royal i.e. the English Monarchy and supporting them. It goes way back to the 1500/1600s.

I personally support egalitarianism..but unfortunately it died some time ago.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 13-02-2006, 12:13 AM   #67
JG3282
Awake after dark

luckily for us we are not from Totalitarian America

His Car: XE Fairmont Ghia - For Sale Here

Her Car: ED Fairmont - Lowered, Pioneer stereo, Sony XPlod speakers, Big Exhaust & more
Old 13-02-2006, 02:24 AM   #68
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG3282
Gold ... pure Gold ... hee hee
Old 13-02-2006, 05:50 AM   #69
micksta

i have been using a computer since i was around 6 or 7 .. i am now 19 ... and have had the internet for most of those years ... so u tent to get in the habbit of saying some 'net lingo every here n there. its a forum ... i don't see a sign anywhere saying it has to be 100% punctual ALL the time.

if anyone has seen that fact ... u can mess up a whole sentance with the first n last letter in there correct position .. mess up the other letters and u can still read it ..... i think some people are just reading too hard :P relax a bit. For eamxple you msot porabbly can raed tihs snetnace.

i no i use a lot of short hand internet lingo or whatever, but im not about to change my ways and look at each sentance i write just because people can't read. (not putting anyone down. or Dissin mah homie g's DaWg yo Waddup).

thats simply my point of view in my honest opinion ... or my POV IMHO
Old 13-02-2006, 09:06 AM   #70
red_hotxr6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by micksta
i have been using a computer since i was around 6 or 7 .. i am now 19 ... and have had the internet for most of those years ... so u tent to get in the habbit of saying some 'net lingo every here n there. its a forum ... i don't see a sign anywhere saying it has to be 100% punctual ALL the time.

if anyone has seen that fact ... u can mess up a whole sentance with the first n last letter in there correct position .. mess up the other letters and u can still read it ..... i think some people are just reading too hard :P relax a bit. For eamxple you msot porabbly can raed tihs snetnace.

i no i use a lot of short hand internet lingo or whatever, but im not about to change my ways and look at each sentance i write just because people can't read. (not putting anyone down. or Dissin mah homie g's DaWg yo Waddup).

Good grief.... there goes another nueofern tablet after trying to read that.Surely you were not taught to spell or write like that at school why do it here. I am not having a go at you, it is just that threads written like that i just tend to skip because it takes too much effort (makes my head spin) to read it.lol
Old 13-02-2006, 09:34 AM   #71
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Capitalisation: The difference between "helping your uncle jack off his horse" & "Helping your Uncle Jack of his horse"

By the way that messing up a sentance with the first & last letters in the correct position is a hoax. Works for some words, but not others.
Old 13-02-2006, 09:42 AM   #72
devilracer_01
Sleeping Beast

Ban it, people who have type with that rubbish on a keyboard are either uneductated or just plain lazy.
Old 13-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #73
micksta

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
Capitalisation: The difference between "helping your uncle jack off his horse" & "Helping your Uncle Jack of his horse"

By the way that messing up a sentance with the first & last letters in the correct position is a hoax. Works for some words, but not others.

words are words. thats why there was a full out 100 word paragraph and every one that i knew seemed to be able to read it perfectly ?
have you looked at it before ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Good grief.... there goes another nueofern tablet after trying to read that.Surely you were not taught to spell or write like that at school why do it here. I am not having a go at you, it is just that threads written like that i just tend to skip because it takes too much effort (makes my head spin) to read it.lol

i was not taught like that at school. and i don't use internet slang in my writing. Even if i jot something down quickly i still use long *** words. And i said that i have been using the internet for a while. so i have pretty much grown accustomed to writing slang in my sentances. i 99% of the time don't realise i am writing things like 'u - you', 'n - and', 'tru.dat' lol n all the others. And although this is a pretty formal and layed back site. i dont agree with the Extremely rediculous slang that goes on. Oh and that whole CaPiTaL business ... thats simply gay.

but each to there own.
Old 13-02-2006, 08:28 PM   #74
max^power
Formerly au^ute

depends how people SMS, i prefer to write the whole word when i sms, so there is no difference to the way i would post on here than send an sms. i do dislike the annoying shortcuts like 2day etc.

If you can't type properly, dont type at all.
Old 13-02-2006, 10:09 PM   #75
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by max^power
depends how people SMS, i prefer to write the whole word when i sms, so there is no difference to the way i would post on here than send an sms. i do dislike the annoying shortcuts like 2day etc.

If you can't type properly, dont type at all.
Sending an sms and using shortcuts like 2day, 2morro, b4 etc I think is fine.
You are sending a text so you dont want it to be 3 or 4 pages long... IMO anyway lol
Old 14-02-2006, 12:06 AM   #76
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
words are words. thats why there was a full out 100 word paragraph and every one that i knew seemed to be able to read it perfectly ?
have you looked at it before ?

1) A vheclie epxledod at a plocie cehckipont near the UN haduqertares in Bagahdd on Mnoday kilinlg the bmober and an Irqai polcie offceir

2) Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs

3) A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

All three sentences were randomised according to the "rules" described. The first and last letters have stayed in the same place and all the other letters have been moved. However, I suspect that your experience is the same as mine, which is that the texts get progressively more difficult to read.
Old 14-02-2006, 12:53 AM   #77
micksta

i can read every word there...

i must admit that only 1 word was weird.

bigger words get harder to descramble

can anyone else read those three sentances ?

but that isn't how everyone speaks .. not even SMS's are that bad.
Old 14-02-2006, 01:04 AM   #78
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes had no trouble actually reading that either.
Have seen that before in emails.

thankfully people don't write like that in sms or forums (generally anyway) :
Old 14-02-2006, 07:09 AM   #79
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
We have one, its called the Admins/Mods.

It also comes with these extra random features:
"I'm drunk, your avatar is getting changed"
"I've had a bad day and you just became my random victim for the night" and the always fun
"SMS writing? Lets see you SMS write 1 m 8ann3d" :yeees:
im still crying with laughter over this post..
as for SMS speak... mehi couldnt care less. i prefer to type it out cos i CBF abbreviating half the time..
Old 14-02-2006, 10:42 AM   #80
vanessa0305

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbgs351
1) A vheclie epxledod at a plocie cehckipont near the UN haduqertares in Bagahdd on Mnoday kilinlg the bmober and an Irqai polcie offceir

2) Big ccunoil tax ineesacrs tihs yaer hvae seezueqd the inmcoes of mnay pneosenirs

3) A dootcr has aimttded the magltheuansr of a tageene ceacnr pintaet who deid aetfr a hatospil durg blendur

All three sentences were randomised according to the "rules" described. The first and last letters have stayed in the same place and all the other letters have been moved. However, I suspect that your experience is the same as mine, which is that the texts get progressively more difficult to read.

I have trouble reading the last one....I had to work it out I couldn't just read it.
Old 15-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #81
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It looks like the majority of people are in favor of banning text lingo on this site and only 6% like it. The remainder either dislike or feel ambivelent towards it.

So should we approach the Administration Team with the request to ban text lingo on Australian Fordforums?
Old 16-02-2006, 10:54 AM   #82
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

I myself dont really care, im smart enough to figure it out.
It is a given that sometimes people take it too far and probly should go back to school.

For all those who want it banned and it taken to the Admin Team, step back and think about it.
It wouldnt take long for AFF to be known as a forum of NAZI's. Destroying its rep.
Doesnt take long for a forum to die in the *** because of forum nazi's.
I've seen it time and time again.

If you dont like it, ignore it. People soon get the idea when they are ignored.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:20 PM   #83
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have also seen some forums thrive due to the moderators and members keeping a tight reign on grammar, spelling and *** clownery.

Since this isn't my forum, it's not my call.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #84
PH47
Ford Power, in a Merc?

Some stuff is internet-norm and is ok in my eyes.. eg "lol" (occasionally.. not every second bloody word!), or "brb", etc..

Using it excessively though generally just establishes your place amongst the lower IQ ranges :P

I think when people are having a discussion, anywhere, including on MSN, it should be in legible english.. but throwing in an occasional abbreviation shouldn't be banned, just kept in check.

"lol omfg joo sirius? den wod did he sai?" = BAN.

"lol, are you serious? Then what did he say?" = OK.

Alternating caps is the tool of the devil though, anyone who uses them should be shot, minced, and eaten..

Also goes for anyone who has a myspace. :P

edit: I hate spelling/grammar nazis almost as much as I hate internet-slang though.. people who point out the tiniest spelling mistake or grammatical discrepency.. get off your high horse, noone is perfect.. typo's happen, and not everyong studied english at uni.
Old 16-02-2006, 09:49 PM   #85
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

iT gEtZ aNnOyiNg wHen tHeY tYpE LiEk dIz .. horrible horrible, present in a lot of tb's.

I reckon it's way more acceptable to type normally (:
============================================

Also check this out ;;

Arinocdcg to rencet rseaerch, the hmuan brian is plrectfey albe to raed colmpex pasasges of txet caiinontng wdors in whcih the lrettes hvae been jmblued, pvioedrd the frsit and lsat leetrts rmeian in teihr crcerot piiotsons.

The fcat taht you are ridenag tihs now wtih reaitvle esae is poorf of the thoery.

Wehre did all of tihs strat?

It smees taht the trehoy orgteiinad form a 1976 ppaer at the Uvnitsriey of Nigaonthtm wtiertn by Graahm Rwsnailon of Asrhodelt, wichh gvae rsie to an acirlte wihch aaeprrped in the 'Narute' pbuolitaicn in 1999.

Amazing I had no trouble reading that (:

(http://www.businessballs.com/scrambledwords.htm)
Old 17-02-2006, 12:02 AM   #86
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The usual abbs are ok...like lol..etc but when the entire post is made of garbage...well forget I generally ignore it...which as has been said tends to put off any further garbage.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 18-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #87
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great opportunity to ask what some of those abbrevs mean without embarrassment - perhaps the forum should have a glossary on it.

I think I've worked out what NNNN means, took me 6 months to work out imho, but darned if I know what lol means apart from what your tongue does when you fall asleep in the armchair after dinner.
Old 18-02-2006, 09:00 PM   #88
xr8chick
HSV - I Just Ate One!

u know its not that bad once u get the hang of it. but then again ima a teen so im guilty of being one of them who tend to shorten words in sms'z
Old 19-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #89
Bdazla
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I just ignore text messages with all the shortened words. i was part of that generation of shorten the f**k out of everything. I didn't like it then, and i still don't like it now. the only people that still use such language that i know are either not very inteligent or think that is cool. We're no longer in high school people. grow up. and for those who are still in school, you will hopefully learn that being the so called "cool" ends at the school gates. once school ends the rest of society laughs at your misfortune.
Old 19-02-2006, 01:09 PM   #90
red_hotxr6
Banned

I am still trying to work out what imao means.
Closed Thread