40 p.s.i. 73 34.76%
42 p.s.i. 17 8.10%
44 p.s.i. 7 3.33%
Something else, please comment in the thread 1 0.48%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #61
Cheech
HELL YES

Default Re: What Tyre Pressure do you run ?

44 psi on 20's using a decent tyre guage. Those servos can vary by 4 psi either way.

Max pressure rating on my tyres are 51psi

FYI when I was doing track days I would drop to 36-38psi as I would see
the pressure raise by 6-8psi depending on the track.

Tyre wear has been good allround.

2019 Ssangyong Rexton fourby (the daily driver, tow pig & snowmobile)

Last edited by Cheech; 30-09-2013 at 12:40 PM.
Cheech is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #62
EV1LXR

40 PSI 19's All round

BF F6 Typhoon: Fully opt. Standard except for filter and turbo line
EV1LXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 03:07 PM   #63
AJ09

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
32 seems a little low to me....I'd be upping it to 36 or 38. Do you have any uneven tyre wear? Wearing the outers quicker than the center?
I can't see any uneven wear, however the car doesn't do a lot of k's so it might not be visible to the naked eye.

I'll take them up to 36 and see how it feels.

Thanks for the tip

Cheers
AJ09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #64
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
On my g6et plaque it says too run diff pressures depending on the size wheels u have on. I think it said 36psi for the 18s and 40psi for the 19s

Once I thought like you, staggered pressures front and rear as per the recommendations for the car and or what ever my mates would say was a good thing.
After damaging 4 rims (2 at one time) over a 12 month period my local tyre people told me to back the pressures off to let the tyres give a bit when they took a hard hit instead of them being so firm they channelled the energy into the rim buckling them.
I was running 42 and they recommended 38.

4 years have now passed since that advice and I haven’t damaged a rim.
I still travel the same rough roads and some may say it just 4 years of good luck and they could be right but I like to think it's simply good advice.

I run a number of different suspension options from stock to lowered spring packages and coilovers.

Some of the tyre/rim combos I’m currently running at 38psi are:

20x8.5 255/35/20
20x10 295/30/20

20x8.5 245/30/20
20x10 285/25/20

18x7.5 215/40/18
18x8.5 245/35/18

15x7 215/60/15
15x7 215/60/15

My tyre wear is even, the ride comfort is fair and the handling, well honestly I don’t push my cars hard enough to pick the difference from 38 or 42.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 04:22 PM   #65
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Bit of background. FPV used to recommend 36 p.s.i. when I first got hooked on the brand in 2007.

Now looking at their recommendation its 38 p.s.i., same Dunlop Sport Maxx 245/35/R19 tyres as in 2007 but recently I've been playing around a bit with tyre pressure to see if I can improve my cars handling and it seems to handle quite a bit better @ 40 p.s.i. than either of the above settings.

Just curious what other people are running in their cars ?, either vote in the poll with the pressure closest to what you're running or any comments you'd like to make are much appreciated.
Now are these pressures measured when the tyres are hot or cold? Makes a lot of difference. Funny there have been nearly 3 pages now in this thread with very little mention of temperatures when the pressures are measured.

I have been maintaining mine at 38 psi front and rear when cold (having my own inflator/gauge at home). The original 18" 245mm width Dunlops on my XR50 at 42,000kms have very even wear across the tread width with about 4 mms of tread depth remaining, on all 4 tyres. My previous Ghia 17" 225 and 235mm width tyres also showed even wear across the treads at this pressure.

Too low a pressure you get more wear on the shoulders than the middle, too high pressure you get more wear in the middle.

On track days pressures are increased to 45psi or so as there are higher loads on the tyre when cornering etc than when driving normally, so gives more grip under those conditions.

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 30-09-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #66
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Now are these pressures measured when the tyres are hot or cold? Makes a lot of difference. Funny there have been nearly 3 pages now in this thread with very little mention of temperatures when the pressures are measured.
Couldn't agree more, Silver. I also recall my old man (who was an instrument tech in the RAAF, so dealt with temperature and pressure relationships pretty often) saying that the pressures stipulated by vehicle manufacturers was as at 0°C. Of course, very few of us, I expect, would check our tyre pressures at that temperature. Given that pressure is directly proportional to temperature (wow, my thermodynamics from my uni days coming back to haunt me) then the pressure that is set at, say, 18°C would have to be a little bit higher than the placarded pressure.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #67
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

I would assume most of the replies here are talking about cold tyre pressures as this is the way most of us would have been taught to check them.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #68
forum@tyretrader

running 245/35/19 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2, they seem to like the higher pressure on the F6
forum@tyretrader is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #69
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I would assume most of the replies here are talking about cold tyre pressures as this is the way most of us would have been taught to check them.
Maybe, except for those that drive down to the local service station to check their tyres, warming them up along the way.

One time I found the tyres on one side were at a higher pressure than the other side, then realised that the sun was shining on the tyres on one side which caused the difference.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #70
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

16" 45psi normal and 60psi fully loaded... LT tyres!

Didnt even know I needed 38psi on my FG 17"s... was wondering why the fronts are wearing the outers... dumb ***!
Old 01-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #71
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
Maybe, except for those that drive down to the local service station to check their tyres, warming them up along the way.

One time I found the tyres on one side were at a higher pressure than the other side, then realised that the sun was shining on the tyres on one side which caused the difference.
Thanks for raising that point mate. I presumed we all know that we're talking about cold tyre pressure but you're right even a short drive to your local service station will warm tyres up slightly.

Another interesting thing that's come up is the variance in service station tyre prssure guages and I know from a variety of local stations around where I live that there is a few p.s.i. difference between the highest reading and lowest.

As posted above, i noticed quite a significant difference in handling in my car between 36 and 40 p.s.i.,to eliminate the service station pressure variables and to optimise handling and tyre life it would appear an investment in a high quality tyre pressure guage at home makes good sense.

Any thoughts on which brand and where to buy it ?
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #72
MrXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC200six View Post
Approximately 40psi should be fine. I know the marking on the sidewall says 50 or thereabouts, but that would make your ride extra lumpy.
I checked the max inflation on the side wall and it says 40psi. I don't think 40 psi is a correct pressure for day to day. If you don't know day you don't know. And if I didn't check? I would be a idiot yes, but the point is only give advice if you know your stuff.
When a car gets past you, you just want to go after them, you want to chase them down, you want to pass them. It's primal. But then there's another side to it, where you just completely forget about all the other cars on the track, and you feel like you're in another world. It's just you, at one with the road and the car.

Eric Bana
MrXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #73
Rodge
Banned

Went to Repco today and bought a tyre pressure guage, just one of their generic branded ones.

Reads exactly the same as my preferred service station guage that I find the most believable so I think its all good.

Tyres had lost 2 p.s.i. in two weeks and I could already feel the edge coming off the handling at 38 p.s.i. and went noticeably better at 40 p.s.i....looks like if you want to keep things spot-on re-inflation needs to be a weekly routine.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #74
pajoda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXR8 View Post
hi I have 245/40 r18 Dunlop sport max. what psi should I be running?
Between you and me (and the the forum) 4 PSI above recommended is a good place to start in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #75
Rodge
Banned

Interestingly you guys might want to know that on a reasonably cold N.Z. day at 15 degrees celcius, just driving 5 km's to my preferred service station tyre pressure increased by 1.5 p.s.i. compared to cold un-driven pressure this morning.

On a hot day in Australia the increase could be significantly more and dramatically so if the drive is longer than that. Repco sell tyre pressure guages for as little as $10, money well spent in my opinion.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #76
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodge View Post
Interestingly you guys might want to know that on a reasonably cold N.Z. day at 15 degrees celcius, just driving 5 km's to my preferred service station tyre pressure increased by 1.5 p.s.i. compared to cold un-driven pressure this morning.

On a hot day in Australia the increase could be significantly more and dramatically so if the drive is longer than that. Repco sell tyre pressure guages for as little as $10, money well spent in my opinion.
Hey Rodge,

Interesting. Do your nights/mornings get cold over there? Down to 0°C or thereabouts? If so, are you able to check what the pressure is at cold temps v day time temp? Would be an interesting little exercise.

Craig H

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #77
Rodge
Banned

^^ They do in winter mate but this spring morning was about 10 degrees vs yesterdays daytime temp of only 15 so not a significant difference there. I'd have to wait till next winter to get the info you're after mate.

Its surprising how quickly tyres warm up and increase their pressure especially if you're pumping some decent horsepower through them.
Old 29-01-2020, 04:51 PM   #78
richard.tomlin
Starter Motor

bought a set of continental tyres 6 months ago 235x55x18 running 36 psi, they have high wear on inside rear..Any idea what is causing this ,2015 TS TERRITORY only done 84.000kms
richard.tomlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #79
Struggo

38psi on 18's
40psi on 19's
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2020, 11:31 PM   #80
Struggo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.tomlin View Post
bought a set of continental tyres 6 months ago 235x55x18 running 36 psi, they have high wear on inside rear..Any idea what is causing this ,2015 TS TERRITORY only done 84.000kms
Your rear camber may not have been set correctly.
Struggo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post