Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-06-2016, 12:45 PM   #2851
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by drz250 View Post
I have been considering starting cycling but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to ride on the road because cars around here are often driven by drunks or speeders.

How do you conquer that fear and just ride on the road? What if you get hit or even a run into a parked car?
As another poster commented, riding motorbikes increases your awareness 10 fold but the only observation I can afford to you when you are on the road and that is to assume that no other road user knows that you're there and ride with that in the back of your mind when you see other cars, pedestrians and even parked cars.

Or, get an MTB and head for the hills, your destiny is up to you then!
Old 07-06-2016, 01:18 PM   #2852
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Shav Don't let us all sound like we are putting a downer on you. If you want to build that puppy up and are happy to spend the cash, then I think we all agree we would LOVE to see you do it.

Just don't discount what you could have for the cash as well.
Nah mate, its fine. If I wanted to do things my way only I wouldnt have asked any questions here. I want to be informed before handing over coin. I need to have a clear head and keep to my budget as close as possible. With the higher end LOOK frame, I know I could spend that cash and have an insane bike, but at the same time my heart is outweighing the wallets decision.

I reckon I'll hang out for a the 695/765/675 frame or Venge Elite frame.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 01:53 AM   #2853
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have been considering starting cycling but I'm not sure if I'm brave enough to ride on the road because cars around here are often driven by drunks or speeders.

How do you conquer that fear and just ride on the road? What if you get hit or even a run into a parked car?
A bit of fear is a good thing , it helps keep you alive , all you can do mate is be as prepared as you can and try and minimize your risk, some roads you know are just dangerous , some roads i wont even travel in my car, the old adage if in doubt dont,
try and make yourself as visible to cars and others as possible .
it still amazes me how many tools ride bikes at night with out lights , and even wearing dark clothing .
since i have been back on the bike fitness thing i have explored around the local burbs a bit and found a nice little route that im happy with that has a small bit of dirt track , a lot of cement/tar bike track, and a little bit of road mixed in , and im happy with it.
You cant always have eyes everywhere , there is always some risk in everything (have scars to prove it ), especially riding a bike , but if you dont take a bit of risk in your life where is the fun in that .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 09:56 AM   #2854
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

Aint no cars here.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2016, 11:51 AM   #2855
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Back after 8 months away with work, can't wait to hit the trails tomorrow, been a very long wait
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 02:15 PM   #2856
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Aint no cars here.

where is that ? looking at that , it reminds me of an old stomping ground of mine years ago , with a huge amount of 4wd tracks and walking paths/camping spots with a range of difficulty (the army used to do training up there), wombat state forest/ Lerderderg gorge,
i think it would be an awesome spot for a bit of mountain bike activity.
Its not a place to go on your own though .
Old 08-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #2857
prydey
Rob

Quote:

you can't let what might happen dictate to you. when starting out, just choose quieter roads if you can. i've been riding now for about 3.5 years, and i've found experience and confidence pretty much grow together. the more you ride the more confident you become.
i ride just about anywhere now. i've never been too bothered by getting passed closely though (unless its only a matter of cm's) so each to their own. i was commenting to the guys last night how these new cycling laws (passing distance) have caused many drivers to be over cautious. numerous times now i have cars sit behind me too scared to pass even though there is plenty of room.

i've been hit by a car once (turned left without indicating) and it does rattle you for a bit, but you get over it. you just have to accept that these possibilities may eventuate every now and then and just deal with it.

so just get on your bike and ride. get confident in your ability, and if you are able, avoid busy roads until you do have a good level of confidence in your bike and your ability.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 10:15 PM   #2858
drz250

Thanks for all the advice guys! It was raining here today but I went for a few km ride.

It's hard work! I don't have a fancy bike (just a $100 kmart deal) but already loving it! Bit scary being around cars and trucks. At the moment I'm actually staying at the Fleurieu Peninsula and there have been some idiot drivers that scared me.
drz250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #2859
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Question Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
where is that ? looking at that , it reminds me of an old stomping ground of mine years ago , with a huge amount of 4wd tracks and walking paths/camping spots with a range of difficulty (the army used to do training up there), wombat state forest/ Lerderderg gorge,
i think it would be an awesome spot for a bit of mountain bike activity.
Its not a place to go on your own though .
Nail can Hill in albury.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 08-06-2016, 11:30 PM   #2860
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: New to cycling

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
you can't let what might happen dictate to you. when starting out, just choose quieter roads if you can. i've been riding now for about 3.5 years, and i've found experience and confidence pretty much grow together. the more you ride the more confident you become.
i ride just about anywhere now. i've never been too bothered by getting passed closely though (unless its only a matter of cm's) so each to their own. i was commenting to the guys last night how these new cycling laws (passing distance) have caused many drivers to be over cautious. numerous times now i have cars sit behind me too scared to pass even though there is plenty of room.

i've been hit by a car once (turned left without indicating) and it does rattle you for a bit, but you get over it. you just have to accept that these possibilities may eventuate every now and then and just deal with it.

so just get on your bike and ride. get confident in your ability, and if you are able, avoid busy roads until you do have a good level of confidence in your bike and your ability.
Agree with Prydey comments , however , if you do want to hit the roads , cycling with others early morning on quiet roads helps build confidence .
Many years I was unfortunate to be involved in a accident on the bike whilst riding on my own . During the recovery , I was sure I was never going to cycle again , and if it wasn't for friends whom kept close to the kerb with riders for and after , I may have never cycled again - short term anyway
Whether on the trails or roads , riding in a group is the quickest and safest way to get your confidence up
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 08-06-2016, 11:33 PM   #2861
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBourne View Post
Far out Thommo , that accident sounds nasty!!!

Nice choice in bike! (shameless repost of mine)

imagepropel-1 by Dave Bourne, on Flickr

DRZ250 you always have to consider what could happen, but like anything in life, you can't let what could happen dictate your life.

Personally, I choose routes and roads that I feel safer on. I.E. I wouldn't ride on a major road during peak hour.

Just a matter of finding safer places to ride, and if you can incorporate bike paths then bonus! and your confidence will grow.

Shav Don't let us all sound like we are putting a downer on you. If you want to build that puppy up and are happy to spend the cash, then I think we
all agree we would LOVE to see you do it.

Just don't discount what you could have for the cash as well.

Tight !!!!
Old 09-06-2016, 07:00 AM   #2862
GUTLES
Adam.

Was out for a ride on Monday with 2 other people & there was some light rain, as we went over a railway track a girl that was with us came off.

I've never had a problem going over them but i know a few people who have come off on them. I always slow right down & coast over them, she was pedalling over it & her wheel got stuck in a groove. She cracked the frame of her bike & has done some damage to her teeth.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2016, 01:32 PM   #2863
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Nail can Hill in albury.
A mate of mine showed me that when I stayed with him on my way to Eastern Creek the other month and we went out for a pedal. Will have to hit you up next time I am in town, I power okay but funnily enough take it stupidly easy on anything technical as I can't afford to get injured riding bicycles as that would affect my work riding motorcycles... That sounds weird, but is true lol
2 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2016, 05:22 PM   #2864
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whereas I just can't MTB for poo cos I suck at it
Old 09-06-2016, 09:54 PM   #2865
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES View Post
Was out for a ride on Monday with 2 other people & there was some light rain, as we went over a railway track a girl that was with us came off.

I've never had a problem going over them but i know a few people who have come off on them. I always slow right down & coast over them, she was pedalling over it & her wheel got stuck in a groove. She cracked the frame of her bike & has done some damage to her teeth.
Ouch. I noticed that in your Strava activity, Metal surfaces in the wet are always best avoided or taken VERY carefully. Worse when you don't see them coming and not prepared.
Hope she recovers quick.
GTpilot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #2866
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT View Post
.... Did you have any issues setting the gears up. My front derailleur was a bit of a mess around but now that I have the Campag alignment guides it is easy.
It seems I do have issues! Travelling along this morning getting up to 30km/hr, I changed up onto the large chainring, and the chain drops on the INSIDE of the small chainring!!! What tha?? A bit pee'd off with it, as it scratched the frame and chainstay.

I dropped into a new bike shop that's opened locally, the owner/head mechanic has had a few Campy's of his own. I've left it with him to set up the cable tensions right for me. I've got the MS Brissie to Bay ride in just over a week, and I don't want chain issues then!

2016 Ford Falcon FG/X XR6 Turbo you beaut ute
1985 XR4Ti Sierra - Build Thread
1971 Fairlane 500
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #2867
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny View Post
It seems I do have issues! Travelling along this morning getting up to 30km/hr, I changed up onto the large chainring, and the chain drops on the INSIDE of the small chainring!!! What tha?? A bit pee'd off with it, as it scratched the frame and chainstay.

I dropped into a new bike shop that's opened locally, the owner/head mechanic has had a few Campy's of his own. I've left it with him to set up the cable tensions right for me. I've got the MS Brissie to Bay ride in just over a week, and I don't want chain issues then!
Did it drop off when shifting from the large ring to the small? If so that is probably a sign that you do not have enough cable tension on the front. I had a bit of a mess around getting the front right. I am not sure that your front trim settings are the same as mine but when shifting from the large ring to the small one click on the shifter drops it down, another click allows the derailleur to move again for clearance for the larger sprockets. They are designed that way so that the chain will not over shift going from big ring to small when the rear is on the larger sprockets.

The only downside I have noticed now is that the narrow chain gets noisy on the chain ring when running the big ring onto the last 2 or 3 larger sprockets due to chain angle. Not really too much of an issue as a similar ratio can be achieved using the small ring and a smaller sprocket which can be done in one click of both shifters on record. I think it is because the 11 speed chains are getting too narrow to allow clearance for chain angle on the teeth. I can not see that there are going to be too many options for going to 12 speed in the future.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:21 PM   #2868
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

No, that's where I'm puzzled, because I was shifting from the small to the big chainring, which increases the tension in the cable.

The guy at the LBS said it didn't have enough tension, as it should take 3 clicks to go from small to large, whereas mine was taking 4.

1971 Fairlane 500
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
Old 10-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #2869
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
No, that's where I'm puzzled, because I was shifting from the small to the big chainring, which increases the tension in the cable.

The guy at the LBS said it didn't have enough tension, as it should take 3 clicks to go from small to large, whereas mine was taking 4.
That does not make sense, going from small to big the chain is going in the opposite direction to the frame. As for the number of clicks it depends on where the derailleur is at the start point. If it is all the way to the left it will take 3 (or a large sweep), if on one of the small ring trim positions it takes fewer clicks. From memory there are 3 trim positions on the small ring and only 1 on the big ring.
Old 10-06-2016, 05:02 PM   #2870
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

I agree, it don't make sense! I was paying attention to the change, as I was trying to get the 'sweeping' motion right, because it was chattering on the change before then.
Anyway, hopefully it'll all be good when it gets 'tuned'.

1971 Fairlane 500
Old 10-06-2016, 07:46 PM   #2871
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
A mate of mine showed me that when I stayed with him on my way to Eastern Creek the other month and we went out for a pedal. Will have to hit you up next time I am in town, I power okay but funnily enough take it stupidly easy on anything technical as I can't afford to get injured riding bicycles as that would affect my work riding motorcycles... That sounds weird, but is true lol
Feel free mate im always up for a ride pending time and work.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 11-06-2016, 03:56 PM   #2872
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES View Post

I am glad your friend came out of it without too much injury.
You learn by your mistakes , and these things do happen unfortunately.
( i can feel a story coming on ) ....... as a young buk , living in the big smoke , cycling down the main road with tram tracks running parallel with my direction , i knew the dangers of tram tracks ,
i lifted the front wheel to clear it as i was moving towards the centre of the road, as i had a turn coming up ,
i was doing a good speed and misjudged where i put the front wheel ......... and of course it landed straight in the tram line and was quite a nice fit with the old style tyres of the day , and it wedged in the hollow bit of the track, about 3 seconds later i was sliding diagonally across a 4 lane road intersection with me sort of sitting straddled on top of the laying on its side bike frame .
Usually a very busy road but luckily i had a quite spell .
As i have said many times , **** does happen .... and i dont know how i made it to an old fart .
Old 13-06-2016, 06:29 PM   #2873
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Took the Propel out for a spin today. God I love this bike.

image by Dave Bourne, on Flickr
Old 13-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #2874
[THOMMO]

shimano baitcaster bearings in those wheels, they're damn loud

You like the Di2?
Old 13-06-2016, 06:51 PM   #2875
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Note valves/rim stickers in same spot OCD Dave

Im not a rpad bike fan by any stretch but f me thats a nice bike.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 13-06-2016, 07:53 PM   #2876
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valves at 6'oclock and cranks keeping the line from the chain stay inline, gotta follow the rules mate!

Thommo, I don't find the wheels that loud. I absolutely love di2. My Defy is 105 mechanical, so it's fantastic jumping back on to the Propel when I get the chance.
Old 18-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #2877
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:

Did you get it sorted out?

I just realised I have done nearly 4000km on my new groupset and absolutely loving it, the shift and running noise has improved greatly after a good running in period.

I got asked today in the group if my Eddy Merckx was actually a trek 2000 with Merckx stickers, GGRRRR! The group ride is organised by the LBS that deals primarily in Trek so just about everyone in the group is on the Treks with the only variety being a few Specialized. Someone should explain to them that Trek is not the only bike on the planet. The frames may look similar in some respects between the Trek 2000 and the Eddy Merckx 1XM I suppose except a very large detail, the Trek is an aluminium and the Merckx is a full carbon

I hope my reaction did not seem too insulted, it was hard to control myself at the thought of such blasphemy.

Last edited by geckoGT; 18-06-2016 at 01:58 PM.
geckoGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 18-06-2016, 06:53 PM   #2878
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I just realised I have done nearly 4000km on my new groupset and absolutely loving it, the shift and running noise has improved greatly after a good running in period.

I got asked today in the group if my Eddy Merckx was actually a trek 2000 with Merckx stickers, GGRRRR! The group ride is organised by the LBS that deals primarily in Trek so just about everyone in the group is on the Treks with the only variety being a few Specialized. Someone should explain to them that Trek is not the only bike on the planet. The frames may look similar in some respects between the Trek 2000 and the Eddy Merckx 1XM I suppose except a very large detail, the Trek is an aluminium and the Merckx is a full carbon

I hope my reaction did not seem too insulted, it was hard to control myself at
the thought of such blasphemy.
Some people have got to check what they say before they say it . It's a shame those people don't have a 5sec delay , giving them the opportunity to retract the verbal rubbish before hurting someone .
Old 18-06-2016, 07:16 PM   #2879
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:

I hope my reaction did not seem too insulted, it was hard to control myself at the thought of such blasphemy.
Yes, it's all good now, picked it up on Thursday. I forgot to put a cap on the end of the cable going into the frame, and it was pulling the outer into the hole for the cable.

It cost me a new set of outer cables, new bar tape and the cost of a service to set it up. Work commitments prevented me from test riding the bike, but I get the golden opportunity in the morning - the MS Brissie to the Bay ride!

2016-MS-Brissie-to-the-Bay

1971 Fairlane 500
2 users like this post:
Old 20-06-2016, 04:50 PM   #2880
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

So it looks like I've come to a decision. Decided not to build my next bike due to being offered a ripper deal by a mate who works at a bike store. It just worked out cheaper to get a complete bike thru my mate considering the specs. Looks like I'll tinker with my Focus and look at rebuilding that for fun and experience instead. I don't mind. But this next bike is SICK as far as Im concerned and it ticks all the boxes I was looking for.

Basic Specs are:
Cervelo S5 VPW frame
Dura Ace Mechanical groupset
Mavic Cosmic Wheels

Actual frame color below.

Will it make me faster? Possibly, but not necessarily. Will I look like a pompous twat? Possibly, but not necessarily. Will I love it and enjoy riding it? Absafrickenlutely!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont