Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 12:50 PM   #151
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Re: Hoon caught doing 225kmph in his FPV ute!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford View Post
Common sense if you want to live.

The law if you want to die in a head-on collision while overtaking because you spent too much time on the wrong side of the road.

Take your pick.
Dam It, I thought there were two M's in common, then I thought it didn't look right. Don't know what happen to my spelling of sense, must of been reading the law book.LOL
Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM   #152
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Incorrect, the first rule of overtaking is that you must be able to complete the manouver safely whilst within the posted speed limit.

Wether we like it or not, when we sign up for a license we agree to abide by the rules as set down by the governing body.
There are no if's but's or maybe's.

That little white sign with the number on it is all that is relevant, anything else is illegal.

Making comparisons to european conditions is a void argument as this is Australia, if you wish to live in a country with Autobahn type speed laws, move there.

This driver is a tool and should be banned for a good while, there is no excuse for those speeds on a public road.

I have travelled many k's of this great country too, but i have never felt the urge to travel at those speeds to get to my destination.
As XBROO stated you are confusing rule with law.

Obeying the law does not automatically make you safe despite all the academic expertise in the world. If it did then we would not have all these black spots all over the country.

As a side note, I did not make up that rule. It was told to me by a recently retired senior member of the QLD traffic branch, a man who spent almost 30 years actually interacting with traffic and attending accidents. He said when he was young he believed everything he was told about road safety but over the years came to understand that in theory, theory and practice are the same but in practice they are more often not.

Ever since the dawn of time there have been people who truly believe that the universe should and will run they way they wish it to.

King Canute demonstrated just how wrong these people are when he commanded the tide not to come in and it did not obey him.
Unfortunately there are still people, mostly public servants and academics, who believe that was only because the command was not worded correctly, the penalties for "coming in" were not high enough and that there should have been a special "tide task force" consisting of at least 7 levels of management, a 2-1 ratio of academic consultants to enforcement officers and a multi million dollar budget.
(N.B. In the time of King Canute (11th century) dollars were not a currency but as public servants have always worked at the same speed by the time the department had been set up and produced the first piece of legislation they would have been).

Last edited by flappist; 03-12-2012 at 01:12 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM   #153
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Common sense if you want to live.

The law if you want to die in a head-on collision while overtaking because you spent too much time on the wrong side of the road.

Take your pick.
True, but then if you waited for an overtaking lane, or for the cars infront to pass one by one the time taken for YOU to overtake the obstacle would be safer and within the law.
It is the arrogant attitude that 'no one has the right to hold me up' which see's many come unstuck.

There was a thread on here a year or so ago where a member or someone he knew overtook an obstacle and was book for being over the limit despite it being necessary to complete the manouvre safely.
the officers opinion was that if you couldnt do it within the speed limit, you shouldnt be doing it.

There is no grey area, if just over with alcohol is illegal so too is speed, otherwise everyman and his dog would be pushing the boundaries and the just over would be just a little more and so on.

The recent thread indicating the number of deaths related to speeding is a good example, yes the % of speeders dying is low, but if not for deterrents like camera's and radars, everyone would be pushing the boundaries and this figure would be much higher.

Anyway, the thread is about some turkey doing 225 on a multi laned highway, no need to be on the wrong side of the road overtaking, no need to speed to catch his favourite show, or be late for work if he was organised so there is no defence.

As with many threads on a public forum, some will take the opposing view despite common sense, and use rediculous argument to add weight.

If you dont like the laws by which you obtained your license, hand it back and catch the bus.
This user likes this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 01:38 PM   #154
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
If you dont like the laws by which you obtained your license, hand it back and catch the bus.
OR

Band together and replace the incumbent Government in the next election with a new group who have a mandate to remove all the pig headed social engineers and tin pot hitlers from their positions of power and then change the laws for the benefit of the people NOT the bureaucrats........

Interestingly it appears the the majority of members here who seem to disagree with your position obtained their licenses under laws that did not include speed cameras, hoon laws, tolls and all the other social engineering cancers that are gradually choking freedom and justice from Austrailan society.
7 users like this post:
Old 03-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #155
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

But as someone stated before, if it wasn't for fines from speeding. The government would have to find another way to revenue raise, like higher taxes. So either way we're going to pay, atleast this way it's by choice.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:09 PM   #156
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
King Canute demonstrated just how wrong these people are when he commanded the tide not to come in and it did not obey him.
Unfortunately there are still people, mostly public servants and academics, who believe that was only because the command was not worded correctly, the penalties for "coming in" were not high enough and that there should have been a special "tide task force" consisting of at least 7 levels of management, a 2-1 ratio of academic consultants to enforcement officers and a multi million dollar budget.
(N.B. In the time of King Canute (11th century) dollars were not a currency but as public servants have always worked at the same speed by the time the department had been set up and produced the first piece of legislation they would have been).
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist View Post
OR
Band together and replace the incumbent Government in the next election with a new group who have a mandate to remove all the pig headed social engineers and tin pot hitlers from their positions of power and then change the laws for the benefit of the people NOT the bureaucrats........

Interestingly it appears the the majority of members here who seem to disagree with your position obtained their licenses under laws that did not include speed cameras, hoon laws, tolls and all the other social engineering cancers that are gradually choking freedom and justice from Austrailan society.
ROFL!

I couldn't help observing that, on my journey to Europe, the airport/border entries were very unhassled, friendly and low key, plenty of security but not over the top - and the police cars on the motorways were plain little VWs and Skodas (capable of a turn of speed anyway, but always rare, discreet and never in your face).

Returning to Australia I felt like we were approaching Nazi Germany. The Australian border controls started in Seoul where there was an Australian public servant (nice junket to Korea at the expense of your taxes) and several minions subjecting everyone to anything short of a strip search, then at Mascot a ratio of probing, interrogating public servants of what seemed like 2 to 1 and then, to cap it off, just when I was telling the taxidriver we could do 130 on this road in Europe, there on the F6 median was a menacing big Falcadore patrol car bristling with aerials like an AWAC early warning system.

Ever get the feeling that something is happening to this country - and this country only among "developed" countries - and that "road safety" is but one arm of the creep of interfering nannies. Incidentally, the per capita road toll in Germany is lower than that of Australia in spite of all the "illegal" speeding and low police profile.

Yes, I got my licence in the pre social engineering era when we relied on common sense.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:11 PM   #157
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
But as someone stated before, if it wasn't for fines from speeding. The government would have to find another way to revenue raise, like higher taxes. So either way we're going to pay, atleast this way it's by choice.
Well no it is not really. To many driving is the only form of transport available. Whereas many city people can take a train/bus to work or the shops, walk their kids to school and only needs to use a car for recreational purposes, regional people cannot.

Maybe we could lower taxes by having less wastage in Government and redeploy all the extra public servants into productive operations to make things happen rather than just shuffling paper to prevent things happening.

Laws were originally made by tyrants as excuses to control their slaves.
Over the years many of these tyrants were overthrown and laws were changed to allow personal freedom and responsibilty.
Unfortunately the tyrants have never gone away and are gradually pushing society back towards slavery using all the clever platitudes and rhetoric.

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin 1775

Australia has the best road safety methodology money can buy.

Flappist 2012
Old 03-12-2012, 02:16 PM   #158
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yes, I got my licence in the pre social engineering era when we relied on common sense.
There in lies the rub... where is common sense today?
Sadly the majority of those on the road today DO NOT display any.
Everyday going to work, within meters of leaving my driveway im confronted by morons who cant drive.... stop sign? just drive through it
indicate? pppftttt why bother...
50kmh limit in suburbs? baa im late ill do 80kmh... what stop sign?

And strangley enough I have been unfortunate enough to have been tailgated by the same two idiots (as they both live in the next street) and who basically go the same way i do... time and time again.. I was even overtaken in a suburban street (50kmh zone) while i was doing 55....

Too many people with **** poor attitudes... causes more and more road rules to pop up

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Old 03-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #159
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Again flappist, your insight and knowledge is great, by choice I mean abide be the law, dosen't matter how stupid it might seem. Dosen't seem like much of a choice but I was being abit sarcastic.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #160
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Again flappist, your insight and knowledge is great, by choice I mean abide be the law, dosen't matter how stupid it might seem. Dosen't seem like much of a choice but I was being abit sarcastic.
The bottom line is that your wallet and licence points can't afford it so you have no choice but to comply. It was so good to be free of all that crap and associated anxiety for 6 months - and nobody died.

Jim Goose I certainly agree with you except to make the point that a lot of this behaviour is a result of the dumbing down and nannying dulling the common sense instinct. Control people's ability to think and they won't think.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #161
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The bottom line is that your wallet and licence points can't afford it so you have no choice but to comply. It was so good to be free of all that crap and associated anxiety for 6 months - and nobody died.
It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.........
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #162
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Goose View Post
I was even overtaken in a suburban street (50kmh zone) while i was doing 55....
you were speeding???
Old 03-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #163
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
True, but then if you waited for an overtaking lane, or for the cars infront to pass one by one the time taken for YOU to overtake the obstacle would be safer and within the law.
It is the arrogant attitude that 'no one has the right to hold me up' which see's many come unstuck.

There was a thread on here a year or so ago where a member or someone he knew overtook an obstacle and was book for being over the limit despite it being necessary to complete the manouvre safely.
the officers opinion was that if you couldnt do it within the speed limit, you shouldnt be doing it.

There is no grey area, if just over with alcohol is illegal so too is speed, otherwise everyman and his dog would be pushing the boundaries and the just over would be just a little more and so on.

The recent thread indicating the number of deaths related to speeding is a good example, yes the % of speeders dying is low, but if not for deterrents like camera's and radars, everyone would be pushing the boundaries and this figure would be much higher.

Anyway, the thread is about some turkey doing 225 on a multi laned highway, no need to be on the wrong side of the road overtaking, no need to speed to catch his favourite show, or be late for work if he was organised so there is no defence.

As with many threads on a public forum, some will take the opposing view despite common sense, and use rediculous argument to add weight.

Tail-gating is against the law as well, so is traveling substantially lower than the posted limit. Sadly those of lesser vehicles (read Camry and other white-goods) tend to bundle up like sheep behind the slower moving trucks. To give you an idea of the particular situation I was in, the vehicles line astern of the offending truck were all doing over 35km/h under the speed limit and technically all were in breach of the law for both tail-gating and driving dangerously slow - mitigating circumstances excluded of course.
As for the person who was booked for going over the speed limit overtaking, he should have challenged it in court.

I have for several others throughout the 90's and won provided you had a reasonably good driving history as I do. It was about the contradiction in the law; do I stay behind and break the law for driving too far under the limit and tail-gate/be tail-gated, or do I have to allow for others' gross negligence in bunching up not giving me the opportunity to pass within the sign-posted limit? Proving there was no opportunity to overtake given the space available within the speed limit with all the mitigating factors such as the numerous vehicles all breaking the law, it could be established that in either event - to overtake with speed or to not overtake at all, you'd be breaking the law in either case technically.
A little known loophole at the time but thoroughly explored. Whether it's been tightened now or not I've since lost touch, but Dennis Moralis made a fortune off of it.

As for my behaviour have it was a genuine surprise in so far as to how much speed the thing gathered, but I was fixated on the vehicles I was passing and the road ahead and didn't see the speedo until I'd crossed back to the safe side of the road. Have I done it since? No, I'm more used to the car and resultantly tend to know what to expect.

Quote: