Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-10-2022, 10:30 PM   #1741
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

The 322l is a beast, it’s done heaps of WOT paddock taming lately as well as the standard lawn edges, more than enough power.
Wore out the centre of the bump head, was pleased to find it was a $13 part, and didn’t have to replace the whole bump assembly.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 20-10-2022, 10:53 PM   #1742
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
The 322l is a beast, it’s done heaps of WOT paddock taming lately as well as the standard lawn edges, more than enough power.
Wore out the centre of the bump head, was pleased to find it was a $13 part, and didn’t have to replace the whole bump assembly.
I have only wanted for more power a couple of times from mine. I actually just put a Speed-Feed head on mine for quicker reloading.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-10-2022, 07:47 AM   #1743
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

As it’s the time of the year - having fed the grass some weeks ago and gave it its first cut it was powering in growth once again with all the recent light rain and in prep of a function this Saturday I gave it a nice cut yesterday due to more expected rain.
Don’t you love seeing the finished job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2022, 05:33 PM   #1744
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Well, I caved in and did what I should have done two years ago....................

So, I took my recently repaired blower into work during the week because the company machines are both out of action. Thirty minutes later the guy using it came back into the shop looking very sheepish, he only went and ripped out the cord again!

I pulled the cover off again and it looks like he broke the counter spring, which is what was replaced last time. With these machines, they have a mechanism that provides assistance when pulling the cord, making them easier to start. Stihl actually call it Easy2Start. When old mate (both times now) went to start it, he pulled the cord with all his mite and broke the spring.

Tip for anyone with a Stihl Easy2Start machine - YOU DO NOT NEED TO PULL THE CORD WITH EXCESSIVE FORCE, THAT'S WHY YOU PAID THE EXTRA FOR THE FEATURE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

So, I cracked the sh.ts this morning, took the old machine in for repair and walked out with a new one. I'm over it! The old machine will become spare parts. I actually got a really good price for the new machine, so I'm content with that.

You will also note I have not gone for the BG 86C this time, settling for the standard BG 86 without the useless Easy2Start feature. And to be honest, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two in terms of pulling the cord. Stihl actually sell the standard BG 86 with ElastoStart, which makes starting easier apparently, hopefully without the hassle of the Easy2Start.

Amusingly, when I was walking out of the store, a man with a Stihl line trimmer was walking in with the cord hanging down, most likely the same failure.

Hopefully this is the end of the blower troubles. Hopefully!
Mustang GT

Old 24-10-2022, 06:23 PM   #1745
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Well, I caved in and did what I should have done two years ago....................

So, I took my recently repaired blower into work during the week because the company machines are both out of action. Thirty minutes later the guy using it came back into the shop looking very sheepish, he only went and ripped out the cord again!

I pulled the cover off again and it looks like he broke the counter spring, which is what was replaced last time. With these machines, they have a mechanism that provides assistance when pulling the cord, making them easier to start. Stihl actually call it Easy2Start. When old mate (both times now) went to start it, he pulled the cord with all his mite and broke the spring.

Tip for anyone with a Stihl Easy2Start machine - YOU DO NOT NEED TO PULL THE CORD WITH EXCESSIVE FORCE, THAT'S WHY YOU PAID THE EXTRA FOR THE FEATURE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

So, I cracked the sh.ts this morning, took the old machine in for repair and walked out with a new one. I'm over it! The old machine will become spare parts. I actually got a really good price for the new machine, so I'm content with that.

You will also note I have not gone for the BG 86C this time, settling for the standard BG 86 without the useless Easy2Start feature. And to be honest, most people would be hard pressed to tell the difference between the two in terms of pulling the cord. Stihl actually sell the standard BG 86 with ElastoStart, which makes starting easier apparently, hopefully without the hassle of the Easy2Start.

Amusingly, when I was walking out of the store, a man with a Stihl line trimmer was walking in with the cord hanging down, most likely the same failure.

The EZ start thing took me a long time to understand. My mower has a similar system in it, took me many years to work out theres a spring in it so you dont need to big man it and rip the cord hard. My victa mower with a briggsy, after learning. You can do a limp half pull on the cord and it starts like a champ. Only took me 8 years of big man ripping on the cord to work that out.
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2022, 06:51 PM   #1746
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
The EZ start thing took me a long time to understand. My mower has a similar system in it, took me many years to work out theres a spring in it so you dont need to big man it and rip the cord hard. My victa mower with a briggsy, after learning. You can do a limp half pull on the cord and it starts like a champ. Only took me 8 years of big man ripping on the cord to work that out.
The guy who broke it last week tends to drop start everything, meaning he is pulling and pushing at the same time. These assist systems will only allow the engine to turn over at a set rate, so putting additional force into pulling the rope doesn't actually spin the motor any faster, so the spring and cord end up being the "fuse" in the system.

This guy is one of those who breaks everything. Rakes, shovels, power tools, wheel barrows, garden equipment. I cracked the sh.ts with him one day when he broke a brand-new rake that was only 1 week old.

I'm not an old grumpy man (much), but why is it so hard for people to respect their tools or the tools they are responsible for? Maybe I'm the stupid one, letting someone else use one of my tools knowing full well that it was 95% likely it was going to come back broken.
Mustang GT

Old 24-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #1747
Kicking back

Quote:
The guy who broke it last week tends to drop start everything, meaning he is pulling and pushing at the same time. These assist systems will only allow the engine to turn over at a set rate, so putting additional force into pulling the rope doesn't actually spin the motor any faster, so the spring and cord end up being the "fuse" in the system.

This guy is one of those who breaks everything. Rakes, shovels, power tools, wheel barrows, garden equipment. I cracked the sh.ts with him one day when he broke a brand-new rake that was only 1 week old.

I'm not an old grumpy man (much), but why is it so hard for people to respect their tools or the tools they are responsible for? Maybe I'm the stupid one, letting someone else use one of my tools knowing full well that it was 95% likely it was going to come back broken.
I guess you just elaborated on my term of big maning stuff. Going to hard on things.
Old 24-10-2022, 09:12 PM   #1748
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

guy in Adelaide northern suburbs had a scare today, big paddock needed slashing, last done in March.
Part way through the job, finds a very decomposed body.
Police have now taken over and Id guess he wont get paid cause he didnt finish the job.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-10-...urbs/101571566
Old 25-10-2022, 01:43 AM   #1749
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nice, let’s see if it takes them 3 goes at getting it to rev properly……

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-10-2022, 01:50 AM   #1750
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Serviced an ancient cox lawn boss this week, blades were knackered, it didn’t even create lift to throw the clippings out. Took about an hour plus parts and filters etc, client was happy, their mobile mechanic guy seems to charge $400 no matter what work he does to it.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 25-10-2022, 03:36 PM   #1751
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Nice, let’s see if it takes them 3 goes at getting it to rev properly……
I was worried about that, but this one seems to run pretty hard.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 03:26 PM   #1752
Kicking back

So my neighbour gets her grass done for mates rates by a friend of someone at her work. So the backyard gets done on the ride on thing. Thats fine i guess, grass clippings feed the grass. What gets up my goat. So both my and her houses are battle axes, so our driveways are side by side. The bloke who does her grass, no guard on the whipper snipper, so a foot of line out either side, just slashes the grass. No attention towards edging.
When i do my grass, whipper snipper to tidy up the edges, mower to pick it up. With the driveway, every few months if the grass encroaches on the concrete, the edger blade gets used for that crisp line.
Old 26-10-2022, 06:33 PM   #1753
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I have mentioned this client before, but she generally only calls me when the grass is above ankle deep. What should be 15-minute job ends up taking more than 45-minutes, is hard on my body and hard on my machines.

When I gave her my base price, she bartered me down by $10, which I agreed to because it's only a small lawn and is conveniently located next door to a property I visit weekly. I'm not going to reveal the price of what she pays me for this beast of a job, I'm actually embarrassed I have let it go on this long, and the job basically costs me rather than earns me money.

Two weeks ago she contacted me wanting the grass cut for her "guests" at the weekend. I was due to go into hospital for a procedure, which I gave me an easy out, except in the meantime the grass has grown even higher and had not been attended to. Now she is asking for me to book her in and I don't want to do it..........especially for the price she will expect to pay.

I hate letting people down, but this job is not worth my effort. The price would need to be tripled to make it a money earner and I know she is not the sort of person who would agree to that (I'm an observant person, not racist, so I will let the readers figure out her nationality).

Currently trying to figure out how to ask her to find someone else without offending. Any suggestions would be valued.
Mustang GT

Old 26-10-2022, 06:38 PM   #1754
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

A message to say hope she had a good Diwali and you’ve been advised to reduce your workload, hence can’t come anymore?

BTW you fellows all raving about battery gear as the “new black”… I tried hiring a battery powered demo saw yesterday. (a.) Rate was going to be double, and (b.) there was no stock available.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 06:46 PM   #1755
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
A message to say hope she had a good Diwali and you’ve been advised to reduce your workload, hence can’t come anymore?

BTW you fellows all raving about battery gear as the “new black”… I tried hiring a battery powered demo saw yesterday. (a.) Rate was going to be double, and (b.) there was no stock available.
Ooooooo, you're good! Bingo!
Mustang GT

Old 26-10-2022, 06:56 PM   #1756
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and if she contacts you keep repeating workload and dont even get into price haggling. You start that you have lost your argument about reducing workload, even if you still do the next door property.
Old 26-10-2022, 07:05 PM   #1757
hayseed

Quote:

Currently trying to figure out how to ask her to find someone else without offending. Any suggestions would be valued.

Tell her that you have to Apply a Height/Length Surcharge.. Also due to High Fuel Prices the Base price has Increased...!!

Ohh & Don't forget the Covid Tax every other Business in the Country has decided to Charge..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 07:05 PM   #1758
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Not mowing but a lawn question, what would be the cause for these? I've heard of lawn grubs (beetles?) but I thought they just killed grass in round patches not make grub highways!

Old 26-10-2022, 07:11 PM   #1759
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Not mowing but a lawn question, what would be the cause for these? I've heard of lawn grubs (beetles?) but I thought they just killed grass in round patches not make grub highways!

image image
Have a look here -

https://www.myhometurf.com.au/lawn-t...lawn-diseases/

You would be a candidate for Dollar Spot, Brown Patch or Fusarium Patch.
Mustang GT

Old 26-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #1760
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Not something simple like scalding water out the garden hose?
Old 26-10-2022, 07:39 PM   #1761
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

It's not quite Summer here yet!
Old 26-10-2022, 08:42 PM   #1762
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have spent the last couple of days mowing and aerating at the same time. There's just so much water lying around every time it rains as it;s been so wet the last 2 years. I figure I'll have to do it a few times over the next couple of months.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #1763
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Have a look here -

https://www.myhometurf.com.au/lawn-t...lawn-diseases/

You would be a candidate for Dollar Spot, Brown Patch or Fusarium Patch.
Quote:
I think I found the cause.

When I mentioned it to The Dragon Lady she said that it 'could' have been her as she was using the battery spray with roundup, and some 'may' have leaked out.

She does have form here, quite a few years ago she sprayed roundup on the driveway, then walked onto the front lawn!

Old 26-10-2022, 09:56 PM   #1764
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

When I mentioned it to The Dragon Lady she said that it 'could' have been her as she was using the battery spray with roundup, and some 'may' have leaked out.

She does have form here, quite a few years ago she sprayed roundup on the driveway, then walked onto the front lawn!

Thought of glyphosate straight away, looks like DFBs “vandalised” lawn.

*edit-does the dragon lady wear size 13s????

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-10-2022, 10:03 PM   #1765
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

It looked like a liquid discharge to me, hence the hot hose-water question.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaso
So, is she now doing the sad pouty face, hoping you’ll “punish” her sufficiently?
Old 26-10-2022, 10:10 PM   #1766
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have mentioned this client before, but she generally only calls me when the grass is above ankle deep. What should be 15-minute job ends up taking more than 45-minutes, is hard on my body and hard on my machines.

When I gave her my base price, she bartered me down by $10, which I agreed to because it's only a small lawn and is conveniently located next door to a property I visit weekly. I'm not going to reveal the price of what she pays me for this beast of a job, I'm actually embarrassed I have let it go on this long, and the job basically costs me rather than earns me money.

Two weeks ago she contacted me wanting the grass cut for her "guests" at the weekend. I was due to go into hospital for a procedure, which I gave me an easy out, except in the meantime the grass has grown even higher and had not been attended to. Now she is asking for me to book her in and I don't want to do it..........especially for the price she will expect to pay.

I hate letting people down, but this job is not worth my effort. The price would need to be tripled to make it a money earner and I know she is not the sort of person who would agree to that (I'm an observant person, not racist, so I will let the readers figure out her nationality).

It sound like she is ****ing you off. Time to get tough or flick her.
“I’m sorry, but I’m booked this week so can’t mow it before your event that celebrates prosperity. For future reference, your original price of $xx was based on a REGULAR cut frequency of x weeks. Your on call price will be $xxxx plus extra if it’s over grown.”

I don’t enable these customers, as I have to serve those who commit to a regular service first. Sometimes they cave and book regular service, sometimes they just won’t get their **** together. You train them to your ways, not the other way round.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 26-10-2022, 11:02 PM   #1767
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

That was my first thought but didn't want to mention it first up at the risk of offending. You'd be surprised at how tetchy people, usually older males, get when suggesting that perhaps some roundup was used less than carefully.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2022, 11:07 PM   #1768
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
That was my first thought but didn't want to mention it first up at the risk of offending. You'd be surprised at how tetchy people, usually older males, get when suggesting that perhaps some roundup was used less than carefully.
I certainly fit the 'Older male' category but I'm not allowed near Roundup as I have trouble telling the difference between plants and weeds.

But it gets me out of a lot of gardening
Old 27-10-2022, 06:47 PM   #1769
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
and if she contacts you keep repeating workload and dont even get into price haggling. You start that you have lost your argument about reducing workload, even if you still do the next door property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender
Job done!

Advised I her that I am reducing my workload and unfortunately won't be able to continue. Also provided her with two contacts she could consider, I suspect she will be learning something very soon.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 27-10-2022, 07:54 PM   #1770
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Stay your course, they will try to suck you back in. Don’t even stop past if they “just want to give you something” as it’s usually trying to guilt-obligate you back into the loop.
4 users like this post: