Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2022, 12:59 AM   #1651
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mowing ..

Currently doing the yearly dance with my customer who’s sir Walter looks like crap at the end of winter. It’s semi shaded, poorly drained, small yard with 2 soccer mad kids. “ It’s doing my head in, it looks awful!” Last year it didn’t start growing until December, there’s no amount of fert that will work. At least this year he took my advice and actually turned off the water system.Sigh.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 01-09-2022, 09:39 AM   #1652
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

and suspecting what suburb(s) your talking about they know more than you do.
Just dont scratch her Porsche
Old 04-09-2022, 07:54 PM   #1653
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Currently doing the yearly dance with my customer who’s sir Walter looks like crap at the end of winter. It’s semi shaded, poorly drained, small yard with 2 soccer mad kids. “ It’s doing my head in, it looks awful!” Last year it didn’t start growing until December, there’s no amount of fert that will work. At least this year he took my advice and actually turned off the water system.Sigh.
He called me again today enquiring about artificial grass and what it would cost.
Fake grass was what I originally recommended to him 2 years ago.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 04-09-2022, 08:35 PM   #1654
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you supply him/her with fake grass and I'll be along to burn it.
it has happened before.
what an utter stupid bloody invention.
Old 05-09-2022, 09:52 AM   #1655
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT066ARhz8DIE4-S8-LrOX1Q9OxDpRa-naAz-yLWIHLrJDnjiyL9R-oJUF937YQL3T_ZIkfpTwNaM7RhO6cG-hSZZOx0RzazMNg8sUOmZ6-HrFurDVK8asU-FrZNRs_7iY6BRURWGfGOYLhRWMhy1vjS_6of9oLvnez-l5Q-f-fSvPl_FAmUneBu-g4YeNtKp0nK6EHcjq9O_XBODYPLftTTdt_N3BWf_lw

thoughts....
Old 05-09-2022, 10:44 AM   #1656
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I saw this.
I think I break enough blades without drilling into them!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2022, 04:53 PM   #1657
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https...__tn__=-UK-R&c[0]=AT066ARhz8DIE4-S8-LrOX1Q9OxDpRa-naAz-yLWIHLrJDnjiyL9R-oJUF937YQL3T_ZIkfpTwNaM7RhO6cG-hSZZOx0RzazMNg8sUOmZ6-HrFurDVK8asU-FrZNRs_7iY6BRURWGfGOYLhRWMhy1vjS_6of9oLvnez-l5Q-f-fSvPl_FAmUneBu-g4YeNtKp0nK6EHcjq9O_XBODYPLftTTdt_N3BWf_lw

thoughts....
What is the purpose of this? I can't see why you would bother doing something like that?
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2022, 12:27 AM   #1658
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Picked up a new customer, an elderly lady whos husband died 6 weeks ago, he was the gardener. And I mean THE GARDENER, the entire yard is spotless, not a leaf out of place, she now needs to continue his legacy and is not short of a dollar. Lawn is Santa Ana bowling green, I had the honour of pulling out his Scott bonnar cylinder mower and giving the lawn some love. I haven’t used one in 25 years, it’s gonna take a few cuts to get the technique back.
It’s obvious how emotional she is at getting someone else to do what her husband had done for an entire lifetime.

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 07-09-2022, 11:41 PM   #1659
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

What an honour. Enjoy.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2022, 06:43 PM   #1660
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Picked up a new customer, an elderly lady whos husband died 6 weeks ago, he was the gardener. And I mean THE GARDENER, the entire yard is spotless, not a leaf out of place, she now needs to continue his legacy and is not short of a dollar. Lawn is Santa Ana bowling green, I had the honour of pulling out his Scott bonnar cylinder mower and giving the lawn some love. I haven’t used one in 25 years, it’s gonna take a few cuts to get the technique back.
It’s obvious how emotional she is at getting someone else to do what her husband had done for an entire lifetime.
I'm sure you already know this, but you helping in the garden will be as much for her as it will be for the garden itself. I have been in these roles a few times, it becomes a very special relationship over time, one that will be more than the exchange of money for your services.

Be prepared to do a few little extra's around the place, have a cup of tea and a chat. It took me too long to appreciate the presence I had on a couple of my clients, that I was more than just the gardener.

Quite often in the advancing years and after decades of creation, the lost ability of being able to tend to their garden is devastating. I would often have clients sit and watch me in the garden, having a chat as I went along. The enjoyment they get from chatting and watching their garden continue to flourish is worth more than words.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2022, 06:14 PM   #1661
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

This was a half impulsive, half practical purchase.........

I went cash in hand to Total Tools a few weeks ago to buy an EGO blower, only to find they did not stock the model I wanted, and nor did Sydney Tool next door.

I'm not sure if this is just limited to living in a regional town, but retailers not stocking high end tools and equipment annoys the crap out of me. I tend to buy things with the intent of not being disappointed down the track for not getting the better tool or product.

Yet, it seems there is not many people like me as 9 times out 10, I end up having to special order what I want. How is a retailer going to upsell and make better profits if they refuse to stock higher end models. I have found this a lot with lawn mowers, but it seems pretty universal across the board for this area. In other words, catering for Beer Bob Boys who want to spend as little as possible, and then complain about how crappy things are these days.

Anyway, back on topic.

I have had a complicated run with blowers over the last year or so, limping along with a wearing Stihl while a virtually brand-new Husqvarna sits unusable in the back shed. The Stihl BGA 56 I also have doesn't have the stamina for commercial work and has been resigned to cleaning down my driveway or garage.

This is where EGO comes in. I learnt about this brand outside of the landscape industry via Obsessed Garage. EGO seem to have a very robust battery and battery charging system in place that powers the usual range of outdoor power equipment. Blowers are what interest me the most here, with several models in varying output levels. Me being me, I went straight to the top and focused on the LB-765. As mentioned, because these are not stocked at either of my local retailers, I had to order this online from Total Tools.

https://www.totaltools.com.au/186598...-kit-lb7654e-2

I liked that this particular kit included two 5.0 Ah batteries along with a Rapid Charger and the tool itself. Considering two of those batteries on their own would cost $698, I think that kit is decent value. I also have intentions of using those batteries elsewhere, the cordless misting fan has my eye........

https://sydneytools.com.au/product/e...-fan-skin-only

The LB-765 is considered the most powerful blower on the market, battery or petrol! Unlike my Stilh BGA 56, these blowers have a variable-speed throttle dial which delivers 440-980 M3/H. The "turbo" mode increases that to 1300 M3/H. The average run time from a 5 Ah battery charge is 90 minutes, 15 minutes on Turbo and 150 minutes on the lowest speed. Weight with a battery fitted is 4.3 kg, about 200g less than a Stihl BG 86C.

The box is well packaged, the two batteries boxed separately from the rest of the components.

The kit comes with a long extension tube which either the tapered nozzle or spread nozzle is connected to. A useless shoulder strap is also included.

I will at some stage order a stubby nozzle to make it suitable for car drying as well.

https://www.obsessedgarage.com/produ...x&_ss=e&_v=1.0

Battery wise, the 5.0 Ah units take 40 minutes to charge via the supplied Rapid Charger. The battery also displays the fuel charge when being used or when pressed. The Rapid Charger is fan cooled, preventing the battery and charger from overheating.

I also love the spring release on the blower, making removal and install of the batteries much easier.

Using the blower while mowing the front lawns this afternoon, the machine is not as loud as I was expecting. The "turbo" mode is very impressive, so powerful it takes a bit to resist the output, straining my arm in the process.

For the most part, this machine will be used for my gardening business, however I will probably use it for drying cars from time to time as well.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #1662
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

scaring door to door salesmen comes to mind....
Old 21-09-2022, 06:29 PM   #1663
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

@FTE217 - Is this the prostrate weed you asked about on DFB’s thread?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-09-2022, 07:01 PM   #1664
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I got let loose on the Ferris today.

We have had this mower nearly two years now, I had yet to have a go on this thing. Wow! Very comfortable to ride on and FAST! This mower is also set up as a mulching machine, which demands more on the engine, not this diesel engine though! The only drawback of this machine is the that it's very heavy, which is not ideal considering all the rain we have been having.
Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 02:31 PM   #1665
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

No mowing here today, the bees are swarming.

One lot have settled in a Christmas bush, sadly about 4m above ground. If it was lower down, maybe I could goad the kids across the street into hitting the “piñata”.
Old 25-09-2022, 02:34 PM   #1666
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

One lot have settled in a Christmas bush, sadly about 4m above ground. If it was lower down, maybe I could goad the kids across the street into hitting the “piñata”.
You should get the kids over. The entertaining part will be when one screams that they're alergic to bee stings....
.:4:. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2022, 04:57 PM   #1667
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

I was at my clients place last week while they were catching a swarm, the second in a week. I ended up getting stung on the jaw and then on the head as one or two got tangled up in my jacket and then hat. It's strange how docile they are when all is well, but when they swarm, they are become so aggressive and dive bomb anyone in sight.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 05:10 PM   #1668
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Do they what! That’s why I call them terrorists. Were you wearing red or black clothing?
Old 25-09-2022, 05:12 PM   #1669
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Do they what! That’s why I call them terrorists. Were you wearing red or black clothing?
Black trousers, grey top and red shirt, so yes!
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 05:26 PM   #1670
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

My point has been made now!!

I know this is petty, but I don't take fools gladly. It's also screwing with my head because I just want to cut it!
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 05:45 PM   #1671
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Obviously it's much harder on you than them.

Don't succumb to the temptation though because that's what they are counting on.
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 05:49 PM   #1672
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Obviously it's much harder on you than them.

Don't succumb to the temptation though because that's what they are counting on.
I'm sure they are, will NOT be caving in on this.

I acutally had a roadworthy done there a number of years ago, I didn't get discount for the work they did despite me mowing their small piece of lawn for FREE for 10 years.

I'm a generous person.....................until you hack me off!
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 05:54 PM   #1673
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

The bees are on the move at work, I had a code brown moment with them last week.
We've been firing up the reticulation and found a mainline break. With a 5m, 600kpa stream of water bursting out of the ground we ran straight for the iso point.
Problem was bees had taken up residence in the valve box next to the one we needed, they weren't real friendly either.
Wrapped up in every layer of clothing, wet weather gear and ppe I had in my locker I managed to slowly approach and get the valve shut off without getting stung.
I hopped on the buggy and took off at full speed. They gave chase for a good half a km.
The apprentices thought it was hilarious
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 25-09-2022, 08:25 PM   #1674
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

video video what use is that apprentice?
Old 26-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #1675
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Now I have seen it all!

Brushranger are selling rear spoilers and chrome exhaust tips for their range of zero-turn mowers...............

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...ler-kit-rt-srt

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...me-exhaust-tip

The tip actually looks pretty good.
Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2022, 08:24 PM   #1676
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

The only thing missing now is a stance kit.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2022, 09:46 AM   #1677
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Mowing ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Now I have seen it all!

Brushranger are selling rear spoilers and chrome exhaust tips for their range of zero-turn mowers...............

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...ler-kit-rt-srt

https://bushrangerpe.com.au/browse-p...me-exhaust-tip

The tip actually looks pretty good.
Admit it… your hand is hovering over the Buy Now button

2019 LDV G10
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 28-09-2022, 06:46 PM   #1678
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Admit it… your hand is hovering over the Buy Now button
If I had Bushranger zero-turn, I would absolutely buy them, just for laughs though.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2022, 08:29 PM   #1679
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

We came across an odd one today. After installing a new retic station we couldn't get one of the sprinklers to pop up. We pulled it all apart and flushed it with no luck. Thinking it was the sprinkler we changed it out, a couple of times, still no luck. After much head scratching and a little swearing it was discovered that one of the elbows was a dud, I don't know how but the cavity had been closed off in the moulding process. It was a complete blank

Looks like we need to check the rest of them in the bag tomorrow.

FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2022, 08:36 PM   #1680
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
We came across an odd one today. After installing a new retic station we couldn't get one of the sprinklers to pop up. We pulled it all apart and flushed it with no luck. Thinking it was the sprinkler we changed it out, a couple of times, still no luck. After much head scratching and a little swearing it was discovered that one of the elbows was a dud, I don't know how but the cavity had been closed off in the moulding process. It was a complete blank

Looks like we need to check the rest of them in the bag tomorrow.

Never seen anything like that!
Mustang GT