Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2012, 08:08 PM   #91
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Default Re: diesel cars in decline...

Quote:
Originally Posted by .FoMoCo.
95 is the "premium" referred to in previous posts needed to obtain maximum performance and economy from the ecoboost engines. Both the engines run quite well on 87 or 91.

So no advantage to diesel in fuel prices, I think we can put that issue to bed now.

But we are splitting hairs here, the move to low capacity DI turbo engines instead of diesel is no accident by FOA. I believe they have seen the potential in the technology, still in relatively early stage of development. It can only get better.

How far have we come? The ED falcon's 5.0 litre efi V8 from 1993 had 165 KW. EB4 for the falcon will be 179 KW.
you need premium for that kw
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 08:16 PM   #92
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
you need premium for that kw
Yes, 95 premium. I 100% agree with you. It is the SAME price as diesel per litre.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #93
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
At the end of the day Ford won't be bringing out a diesel Falcon any day soon. I feel that the diesel out of the Territory wouldn't acheive the goals needed in the Falcon to make it successful. Comparing the petrol and diesel Territory's I would estimate that a 2.7L diesel Falcon would achieve around 7.5L/100km. I feel it would need to be in the 6's to be of benefit.

I think something like the 2.2L diesel out of the Mondeo (that we don't get) would achieve better results (if it is possible for RWD). 147kw and 450Nm using around 6.5L/100km.

I wouldn't be disappointed if the Falcon line up was the following...
2L Ecoboost
2.2L diesel
5.0L Coyote
There's another engine under development, a 2.7 V6 called "nano" and due inside two years.

In DI form it's expected to punch out 175 Kw and 290 nm but
in Ecoboost form, 250Kw and 490 nm wouldn't be out of the question..

I would expect that the the USA will use the 2.7 Ecoboost instead of the 2.7 V6 diesel we use here in Territory
Being a lot smaller and narrower than the current 3.5/3.7 V6, I wonder if it would fit in our Falcon......
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2012, 08:38 PM   #94
babyf6
Young Ford Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
There's another engine under development, a 2.7 V6 called "nano" and due inside two years.

In DI form it's expected to punch out 175 Kw and 290 nm but
in Ecoboost form, 250Kw and 490 nm wouldn't be out of the question..

I would expect that the the USA will use the 2.7 Ecoboost instead of the 2.7 V6 diesel we use here in Territory
Being a lot smaller and narrower than the current 3.5/3.7 V6, I wonder if it would fit in our Falcon......
Making me drool
Old 20-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #95
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyf6
Making me drool
If you took the mean average of combined fuel economy of XR6 Turbo and EcoBoost 2.0,
a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost would probably have a combined economy of around 9.5 litres/100 km...

Everything the GM 2.8 DI Turbo promised and more but without the serious detonation problem....

Last edited by jpd80; 20-02-2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:48 PM   #96
.FoMoCo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
If you took the mean average of combined fuel economy of XR6 Turbo and EcoBoost 2.0,
a 2.7 V6 Ecoboost would probably have a combined economy of around 9.5 litres/100 km...
Its quite exciting seeing where this new technology is taking us.... it's happening now, and hats off to Ford for having the foresight to use it before anyone else.
Old 20-02-2012, 08:55 PM   #97
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .FoMoCo.
Its quite exciting seeing where this new technology is taking us.... it's happening now, and hats off to Ford for having the foresight to use it before anyone else.
I think Ford is clawing back the initiative and will again become the leader in new technology.
While things look a bit bleak with falcon, in the real world it's small beer and I suspect that
Ford head office will say, "look guys, make the figures work and you can have another crack.."
Old 20-02-2012, 10:47 PM   #98
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i have personally got a terry diesel down to 6.0/100 and i was very suppriesed..
I mean combined consumption not highway.

My Mazda 6 diesel will do in the high 3's cruising in 4th at 50-60km/hr with 2 adults and 2 kids with a boot full of luggage. It averages about 6L/100. The next gen is meant to be 20% more efficient.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 12:13 AM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01
I mean combined consumption not highway.

My Mazda 6 diesel will do in the high 3's cruising in 4th at 50-60km/hr with 2 adults and 2 kids with a boot full of luggage. It averages about 6L/100. The next gen is meant to be 20% more efficient.
The 2.7 V6 Diesel in Jaguar XF achieved a combined of 7.5 l/100 km so I think you're on the money
with your past comment regarding diesel possibly nor giving that much better in a Falcon variant....
It seems like Ford and Jag put a lot more effort into the 3.0 and got more power, torque and economy.
Old 21-02-2012, 03:05 AM   #100
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thats right, and look at all the features that comes with, and the thing actually has more leg room than the Falcon because its FWD and very similar in size.

Average joe doesn't give a rats *** about FWD and RWD, and either do I.
its not the falcons fault its bigger faster tougher ..can tow big..is safer and more adaptable for a family...spose when you trade of all these benifits..it gets you...more gizmos and build quality. its a new era
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 03:30 AM   #101
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
its not the falcons fault its bigger faster tougher ..can tow big..is safer and more adaptable for a family...spose when you trade of all these benifits..it gets you...more gizmos and build quality. its a new era
It's up to Ford to offer people alternatives if they want them and have the darned cars in sufficint quantities to curry interest.
It's not about replacing Falcon but if a buyer is looking for something slightly different, perhaps diesel Mondeo is it..

I'm starting to understand the diversity plan with Falcon-Territory-Mondeo and it's interesting to consider which vehicles
have diesels (mondeo and territory) which have Ecoboost (Falcon-Mondeo) and which stay with big NA (Falcon-Territory)
Now, if those vehicles are offered at the right price in the right quantities, it's hard to see a flaw in that thinking...
Old 21-02-2012, 03:48 AM   #102
1TUFFUTE
Banned

i just cant help but wonder how depressd australia will be in a few years when all these new small cars really hit the second hand scene. Nothing but used cheap plastic electronic depression machines. Well maybe not that bad but certainly along those lines...i mean this is australia its a biggg place
Old 21-02-2012, 08:26 AM   #103
prydey
Rob

jpd - good to see you back! i think someone else has been posting on your behalf over the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Thats right, and look at all the features that comes with, and the thing actually has more leg room than the Falcon because its FWD and very similar in size.

Average joe doesn't give a rats *** about FWD and RWD, and either do I.
how does the shoulder room compare in the mondeo? how does the touchscreen compare?

it goes both ways. mondeo has some things falcon doesn't and falcon has some things mondeo doesn't.

it doesn't make either right or wrong. falcon still outsells mondeo which sort of shoots your argument in the foot anyway. i'm aware that mondeo may have a larger percentage of private buyers but ford wouldn't care that much. a sale is still a sale.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 08:42 AM   #104
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey

it doesn't make either right or wrong. falcon still outsells mondeo which sort of shoots your argument in the foot anyway. i'm aware that mondeo may have a larger percentage of private buyers but ford wouldn't care that much. a sale is still a sale.
Our work fleet is slowly switching over to Mondeo's, they've not purchased a Falcon for about 18 months now. I just sold my G6ET and replaced it with a TDCi Mondeo and I gotta say the Mondeo feels better put together (Both are mid 2008 models) and I can't help thinking the fuel guage is busted because it just doesn't seem to want to budge!
crustyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 05:14 PM   #105
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by crustyman
Our work fleet is slowly switching over to Mondeo's, they've not purchased a Falcon for about 18 months now. I just sold my G6ET and replaced it with a TDCi Mondeo and I gotta say the Mondeo feels better put together (Both are mid 2008 models) and I can't help thinking the fuel guage is busted because it just doesn't seem to want to budge!
im suprised more fleets arent jumping on the new ecolpi falcons..i mean they have better economy of not only mondeos but most of the small class segment.....and thats with more power then the existing 4.0l
Mondeos are cool tho..hence the higher private buyer numbers.
And ford would care because fleets mean less profit in most cases
Old 21-02-2012, 05:17 PM   #106
crustyman
In between Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE
im suprised more fleets arent jumping on the new ecolpi falcons..i mean they have better economy of not only mondeos but most of the small class segment.....and thats with more power then the existing 4.0l
Mondeos are cool tho..hence the higher private buyer numbers.
And ford would care because fleets mean less profit in most cases
Honestly I believe it's because there is a perception that Falcons/Commodores are big and wasteful/inefficient whereas the Mondeo's are considered a Mid sized car (joke is that I have more room in the Mondeo and more boot space!). We are also buying up on Hyundai i30's and i40/i45's as well, again I believe because the general public perceives them to be more "green and cost effective". BTW I work for a Public Hospital so it's taxpayers money we are spending.
crustyman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #107
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Honestly I believe it's because there is a perception that Falcons/Commodores are big and wasteful/inefficient whereas the Mondeo's are considered a Mid sized car (joke is that I have more room in the Mondeo and more boot space!). We are also buying up on Hyundai i30's and i40/i45's as well, again I believe because the general public perceives them to be more "green and cost effective". BTW I work for a Public Hospital so it's taxpayers money we are spending.
NICE TO SEE OUR MONEY GOING TO AUSSIE MADE...NOT im sooo lost....since when did peoples opinions of quality or economy change over night for HYUNDAI.....cus it did

My wifes gov workplace has priuses and gas guzzling suburus
Old 21-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #108
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

A lot of fleets are switching to diesel Mondeos - the problem is the 4 month wait to get one, everyone wants diesel. Im suprised those fleets dont just jump ship to Ecoboost Mondeo, they cant even give them away at the moment.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 05:43 PM   #109
burnz
VFII SS UTE

the hundi's a pretty solid little car, pitty it aint made here.

and in fairness its line ball the cost per week diesel/lpg..
Old 21-02-2012, 06:02 PM   #110
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
A lot of fleets are switching to diesel Mondeos - the problem is the 4 month wait to get one, everyone wants diesel. Im suprised those fleets dont just jump ship to Ecoboost Mondeo, they cant even give them away at the moment.
The EcoBoost motor, while fuel efficient, is not available in the base LX trim (or in any wagon trim for that matter). Most fleet Mondeos that I see (and I do see a fair few) are LX wagons; the remainder are LX hatches. The 2.3 petrol, as a high revving motor, delivers relatively poor fuel economy (compared to the EcoBoost).

As well as this, I have seen many EcoLPI falcons running around (an even model mix of XT, G6 and G6E). The roads are littered with SZ Territories. I've seen a grand total of one Cruze hatch; it happened to be a dealer's promotional vehicle.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:06 PM   #111
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0i OHC
As well as this, I have seen many EcoLPI falcons running around (an even model mix of XT, G6 and G6E). The roads are littered with SZ Territories. I've seen a grand total of one Cruze hatch; it happened to be a dealer's promotional vehicle.
"Relevancy your honour?"

"Sustained"

I get to see a EcoLPI every day - in my driveway
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #112
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Re: around town diesel figures, I can tell you for fact I get roughly 300km round town running out of 45 litres. (15lt/100km), highway running of about 10lt/100km and extra urban of 8.8lt/100km.

Absolutely pathetic. I for one will never ever buy diesel again based on running costs, insurance and servicing.

Petrol tech is where its at and that's what I'm going back to as soon as funding allows.
Old 21-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #113
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Re: around town diesel figures, I can tell you for fact I get roughly 300km round town running out of 45 litres. (15lt/100km), highway running of about 10lt/100km and extra urban of 8.8lt/100km.

Absolutely pathetic. I for one will never ever buy diesel again based on running costs, insurance and servicing.

Petrol tech is where its at and that's what I'm going back to as soon as funding allows.
and thats out of a pagero?
Old 21-02-2012, 06:26 PM   #114
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe

what car you doing that in?
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:28 PM   #115
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

Quote:
"Relevancy your honour?"

"Sustained"

I get to see a EcoLPI every day - in my driveway
Sorry, that was meant to go in the EcoLPI thread.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #116
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A lot of fleets are switching to diesel Mondeos -
I dont know why poeple keep saying this.. Mondeo sales around 500 per month (on a good month).. So it can't be more than that, is that what you class as "A lot"?? I also here (around this forums, not based on data) that Mondeo has high private sales too, so these need to be taken off as well. So what is it people, high private or lots of fleet that are making up this HUGE 500 units a month!!..

I think to many people are trying to build up Mondeo just to have a go at Falcon!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #117
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mondeo is in very restricted supply because the engine is used in other popular diesel Fords....
annoying because Ford won't build a diesel plant in Asia because they think Asians all want petrol,
what about us Aussies?
Old 21-02-2012, 06:38 PM   #118
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
I think to many people are trying to build up Mondeo just to have a go at Falcon!!
you think?

believe me, its a fact. apparently their feature list is WAY bigger as well. sure, it might be different, and have some things falcon doesn't, but obviously not enough to drag customers to the model over falcon.
Old 21-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #119
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you think?

believe me, its a fact. apparently their feature list is WAY bigger as well. sure, it might be different, and have some things falcon doesn't, but obviously not enough to drag customers to the model over falcon.
In the UK, the base Mondeo is only 4,000 pounds ($6,000) less than the Titanium,
so not only is Ford limiting supply of the 2.0 diesel, they are also price gouging on high series models...
Old 21-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #120
prydey
Rob

price gouging? or just pricing it in line with the market here in australia?

maybe they price it higher to protect falcon?