and the Honda 600/800 from the sixties
at one time I did own a CB 350 for going to work
John
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #62
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

I was very ho-hum about my first Honda (CRX) until I started tracking it. It was a revelation, that little car's braking, handling, gearbox & engine were so good stock and even better when modified.

Previous posts:
"Hondas require Honda only brake fluid & oil" - mine run AP 600 brake fluid with no problems. I had run Redline transmission oil which felt good but did seem to give a few problems later on.

"what do you think of the new Mazda 3's styling?" I know that it's trying to tie in with the concept cars but everytime I see the front of one I think that it needs labia reduction surgery.

Honda also do their own engine management and anti-lock braking systems rather than buy them in from someone like Bosch. The manual transmissions are noted for being pretty good (S2000, DC2R, etc). My original clutch lasted to 130,000km (including over 35 track days, dyno runs & general driving.....not bad really.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 10:22 AM   #63
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX
Just out of curiosity, do you like the styling of the new mazda 3?
the front looks a bit odd to me, prefer the previous model.
rest of the car is fine and looks rather well finished.
Yeah, probably fair comment, great car though, the 6 and CX range are really standouts though....

Old 29-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #64
irlewy86
Meep Meep

The handbrake owns a 03 CRV. Handles like a boat, steers like an angry pig and accelerates like an emphazema patient on a ten speed. Sure some of the problems can be attributed to the fact its an abortion job small SUV, however I have noted its fitted with a clever AWD system that is a total waste of time and money as it provides a questionably little amount of grip.

Expect some Honda's to have out of this world insurance costs to as Japanese sourced parts will make even exotic europeans look good in comparasion
Old 29-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #65
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Never considered a Honda because I'm not that much of a fan of their styling and history tends to suggest to get them to go you have to rev the tits off them. Now, I'm not sure that is still the case but I've never really been inspired enough to bother researching it.

Though, if you want something reliable that's a little less than an appliance than a Toyota, I'd certainly pick Honda over them.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #66
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good cars but expensive to service; thailand built cars also a bit of a disapointment in the sense that I'd rather buy a japanese built car from a japanese brand rather than a thai built car from a japanese brand.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 12:51 PM   #67
jandj

nices cars,i wouldnt buy1 due to the fact they have oil issue problems(iedrink oil like its water) .from what ive been told is that you have to do a oil change every 5000,no thanks.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 01:12 PM   #68
colossus
Secret Sleuth

Well built, reliable, quirky, light/revvy would be how I would sum them up.
Old 29-03-2010, 02:09 PM   #69
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I personally am a fan of the Accord Euro. Mainly the 03-07 models. I test drove a 6sp manual non premium version and found it hooted along quite nicely. I was going to consider one a few years back at the time but didnt like the thought of getting a loan again. If I was in a position to get a daily ride, this would be one I would consider.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #70
RRM
Starter Motor

They are generally full of just finer engineering than lesser Jappers, and have sexy engines that love to rev and rev.

I would buy the Honda equivalent over any small/medium-sized FWD Ford (unless money prevented this!)

(For a toy car I would buy a Type-R Integra over any "performance" model Falcon too, but that's because I like small, light toy cars that handle... and I guess that's not really the question here anyway!)
RRM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:31 PM   #71
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Didn't read the entire thread.

But I heard somewhere that not 1 VTECH motor has ever been reported as failing under warranty? Or something like that?

Can someone confirm?

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 02:43 PM   #72
ROLLI
KEEPUP

I bought a honda civic 1993 injected a few months ago for a little work car I love it good on fuel, comfy, goes not too bad even has auto up and down windows my GT doesnt even have that haha I think everything that Honda makes is quality.
Old 29-03-2010, 02:48 PM   #73
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

I think everyone that used to drive volvos 5 - 10 years ago are all now driving hondas. Worst Drivers in WA, by far, are driving hondas. hate them.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2010, 03:16 PM   #74
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

I had a Honda Prelude, bought it as a demo in 2000. It was the last Prelude made. As far as a package, it had everything, leather roof etc. Handling was unreal for a FWD car, and power was good but you had to rev it high and keep the revs there.

What you are paying for with Hindas is quality of their engineering. At the time, 2004, we sold my Prelude and the wifes 95 Integra. It was a shame that the only larger 4 door sedans were the Accord - which was and still is a grandpa car, and the Euro's which just came out. That was it. If they made a 4 door version or the Prelude with a larger motor we would have bought it.

Bottom line, Honda make a very well engineered car.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2010, 10:48 PM   #75
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

we took a few mazda's for a test drive today and in my opinion the cx7 is so far above the same priced crv they cannot compare
i would pick the 6 over the accord and euro too
the styling is better in my opinion (honda's are very americanised), but the interior of the two particularly the cx7 was better
while having nothing to compare it to, after driving the mps3 i could only say . . . wow
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:45 AM   #76
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Honda's are fine cars. In general a cut above most. I owned one for a short while in the late 90's. A vti-r prelude. I did 88,000km on repair was a set of tyres , if that even counts. In its day it was able to out run HSV's.

The current range needs a freshen up. The Legend is an overpriced barge (and yes Ive driven one) whilst the Accord Euro being the pick of the bunch. A fabulous car.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #77
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They are like Toyotas, but a little bit nicer. Actually, they are like any Japanese car. I wouldn't buy one because they ALL lack character, but you can't really fault them in any way either. But the thought of owning one would put me to sleep, so I will stop thinking about them now.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 01:28 AM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elks
Honda's are fine cars. In general a cut above most. I owned one for a short while in the late 90's. A vti-r prelude. I did 88,000km on repair was a set of tyres , if that even counts. In its day it was able to out run HSV's.

The current range needs a freshen up. The Legend is an overpriced barge (and yes Ive driven one) whilst the Accord Euro being the pick of the bunch. A fabulous car.
Agree, especially for the price you pay, you get a bloody old V6 engine with a 5sp auto, for the $80,000 they want for it, I'd expect better.

I like the Accord Euro the best
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 08:45 AM   #79
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
we took a few mazda's for a test drive today and in my opinion the cx7 is so far above the same priced crv they cannot compare
the styling is better in my opinion (honda's are very americanised), but the interior of the two particularly the cx7 was better
while having nothing to compare it to, after driving the mps3 i could only say . . . wow
Exactly what i found, we looked at CRV, Forrester, Terri, Rav4 V6, Freelander 2 and the CX7 is the best of them by a mile, and why the Luxury Sport CX7 is in the garage now.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #80
b2tf
not here much anymore

I have the FG XR8 and an 05 Accord Euro, the Hoonda is a great car (6spd manual) and the inclusions for the price is very, very good. Build quality excellent, the only thing Ive ever had go wrong with it was that it kept blowing light bulbs which apparently has been sorted by fitting a 'genuine Honda' lightbulb (still dont believe that, and get this - $19 for the bulb). Other than that they are a very good car and I would happily put the new Accord Euro in the driveway if it didnt mean I would have to sell the XR8.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #81
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by gtxb67
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Exactly what i found, we looked at CRV, Forrester, Terri, Rav4 V6, Freelander 2 and the CX7 is the best of them by a mile, and why the Luxury Sport CX7 is in the garage now.
Agree with CX-7 comments.

On our US holiday I drove the Ford Edge for about five weeks and to be honest, it's better than the CX-7.
We flogged up hill and down again and it still averaged close to 10 litres/100 klm with full loads
and 70 mph highways and LA traffic snarls. If the Ford US Dash was replaced with a Mazda CX7
unit and switch gear it would be perfect.

Guess what I'm saying is the Mazda CX-7 with Ford 3.5 V6 would be perfect for me,
the Territory is just too big and Escape just doesn't do it for me....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #82
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
I have the FG XR8 and an 05 Accord Euro, the Hoonda is a great car (6spd manual) and the inclusions for the price is very, very good. Build quality excellent, the only thing Ive ever had go wrong with it was that it kept blowing light bulbs which apparently has been sorted by fitting a 'genuine Honda' lightbulb (still dont believe that, and get this - $19 for the bulb). Other than that they are a very good car and I would happily put the new Accord Euro in the driveway if it didnt mean I would have to sell the XR8.
Haha, Genuine Honda Wiper Rubber - $19. I love it when I go grab a quote for something and see the prices from spare parts, the poor bastards at the service desk have to ring up the customer and tell them.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #83
metallurg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Yeah, probably fair comment, great car though, the 6 and CX range are really standouts though....
Owning a Mazda6 I would agree that they're a standout - for the first 5,000km. After that, the idle becomes very rough, and the trans gets sloppy - or maybe I'm just unlucky, although having been through 2 dealers and lots of checks, it appears to be "normal".

Of course, I could be bitter due to the amount of warranty work the thing has had - including a new transmission.

I should've bought an FG XR6...
metallurg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #84
SCXR5T
Aka.Barnesy

According to world Vehicle reliability Survey 2009...

HONDA...99% chance of not breaking down................

Reliability, Durability, Excellent engineering, Reasonable performance...

If I didn't have an XR5T, I'd own an Integra Type R or an S2000.............

Grouse Cars.........
SCXR5T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM   #85
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Honda?

Used to like them but many of their products are now aimed to the American market. The Euro, accord, legend all fall into this category. The Jazz and Civic? Priced too high and not particularly groundbreaking stuff.

The high point for Honda was probably the early 90's. The civic, accord, legend CRX and NSX were all high quality, highly engineered and groundbreaking cars. Then they started to get progressively flabbier.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #86
JINSAY
learner

well there 4cly, good econmany, pretty much everything a person in the city wants
good
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #87
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Love how you can rev its tits off hehe
But yeh, realiable, great quality, comfy and doesnt kill your wallet when you visit the local bowser...
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #88
dave289
Banned

my aunty bought a brand new honda integra ls in 1990, it has never had any problem in the twenty years of ownership.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 08:59 AM   #89
AC
Saving for a Jet Car

Could resist the luz

More @ http://images.google.com.au/images?h...=vtec&gs_rfai=

AC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #90
jsoto
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcman0o7
Honda?

Good.
haha i dont know about that, other than being cheap 2nd hand cars, fairly reliable and economical, the quality of the interior has never had a big vote for me, ive owner a few and theyre all made of plastic, and the engines are tiny, would not want to have an accident in one. good get arounds and dailys, but they should broaden their mechanical minds and build a bigger stronger car, something that petrol heads wouldnt feel a less of a sperm count driving in.
jsoto is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post