Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2009, 07:54 PM   #61
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
There has been some interesting information. BUT can we get back on topic?!

Haha sorry mate. If its alright with Wally?

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #62
Wally
XP Coupe

No, go and get your own topic!

Back on topic:- why is it we give bouquets and brickbats to firms like Holden and Ford for doing to engines what enthuisiasts have been doing in their backyards for generations. When it's done in the house shed it's called tinkering, when it's done in a factory it's called R&D engineering.

Big deal if Holden out "engineer" Ford, it's not as if there are poles of differences between them and very little of the engineering is anything but adapting technology and innovation that has already been done and dusted in Europe or Japan; maybe even the USA.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #63
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I've got to laugh at Holden's idea of engineering. "Alloytec" They haven't out-engineered the old 202.

Reuss- “We are going work on executing high quality today and further fuel efficiency and efficiency on this vehicle,” he said. “We are going to out-engineer the competition, and dropping cylinders would be the last resort because people still like the power, the performance, the towing, and the BULLSHT, all of those things that we get in Australia with this engine and this car.”

Can you believe this bloke? I think that's why Marin is "delighted"; Reuss calls that atrocity "engineering" when all it really is is spin, aka BULLSHT. If this is all they have to offer then unfortunately they will be needing another 1/2 Billion dollar Centrelink cheque in a few more years.
Old 17-08-2009, 11:29 PM   #64
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
No, go and get your own topic!

Back on topic:- why is it we give bouquets and brickbats to firms like Holden and Ford for doing to engines what enthuisiasts have been doing in their backyards for generations. When it's done in the house shed it's called tinkering, when it's done in a factory it's called R&D engineering.

Big deal if Holden out "engineer" Ford, it's not as if there are poles of differences between them and very little of the engineering is anything but adapting technology and innovation that has already been done and dusted in Europe or Japan; maybe even the USA.
After many posts that i've read i've yours, you've led me to believe that you have a good understanding of things, that's why this post surprises me. I would have thought you'd know better than that and not to simply the matter as you have here.

I'm not going to explain what's involved when such changes are implemented to a product, others may do that for you... but it's allot more complicated and technical than just 'tinkering'.
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #65
Wally
XP Coupe

I do have a good understanding of such things and yes I get pretty heavily into engineering and yes I was leg pulling. _2: But having said that I really do admire those guys with no formal training, who can take an engine and make it into something unique (not merely throwing in me too cams, rods and heads).

I wasn't slighting you and I think you know that. Creating a car that is safe, reliable, durable, attractive and suitable for mass production requires a lot more collaborative brain power and experience than a "tinkerer" for sure.
Old 18-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #66
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
I've got to laugh at Holden's idea of engineering. "Alloytec" They haven't out-engineered the old 202.

Reuss- “We are going work on executing high quality today and further fuel efficiency and efficiency on this vehicle,” he said. “We are going to out-engineer the competition, and dropping cylinders would be the last resort because people still like the power, the performance, the towing, and the BULLSHT, all of those things that we get in Australia with this engine and this car.”

Can you believe this bloke? I think that's why Marin is "delighted"; Reuss calls that atrocity "engineering" when all it really is is spin, aka BULLSHT. If this is all they have to offer then unfortunately they will be needing another 1/2 Billion dollar Centrelink cheque in a few more years.

Amen to that. How can he honestly talk this engine up and deride the ford 4T when the torque and peak power it produces is so much less? I'd give him credibility if the ****o-tech produced more than 320nm in 3 litre guise but it is so underpowered, that a 2 litre is going to mop the floor with it. Whatsmore, getting more power out of such an engine will just require more fuel, as sticking with V engines makes it harder to turbocharge for serious power.
Guaranteed the next hypo V6 out of Holden will be a supercharged version of the ****o-tech as opposed to twin turbo.
"Holden, quick, stick a badge on it before they cancel your dole money"

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 03:37 PM   #67
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

3.0 SIDI and 290 Nm does not bode well for shifting 1700KG. It will be gutless.
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #68
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:

Succinctly put as always Falc'man. Just reading Reuss' statements is painfull. Can this guy even talk properly?? What's with the "executing high quality today and further fuel efficiency and efficiency...." bit. Quality engrish that LOL!

You make a good point though. It smacks of spin when a guy says stuff like that when its based in such hogwash. Sure the bit about 'delivering today' is a nice PR swipe at Ford. But the reality is that the basic ENGINEERING he refers to on the 'new' alloytec range is poor. By world standards, its very poor indeed. The complaints from GM faithful in the states proves this.

Moreover, the obvious target of Reuss' comments, Ford Aus, is going to release an engine that even at this early stage they are pretty much guranteeing will wipe out this 3.0 DI base car. Hell the 3.6 'high spec' engine is not any better than what Ford has had for years (even pre FG), so yeah, does that mean ford 'out engineered' holden back in 2005 when it launched the BF. Ah...that would be a YES REUSS YOU IMBECILE!!!!

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 09:04 AM   #69
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Spot on Swordsman, but the problem is the Holden faithful will still flock toward it, even if they stuck a rubber band in for the engine. Will be an interesting sell too with all that less power; "I want to go really slow in something that cost alot but is built of Korean parts"

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 19-08-2009, 11:22 AM   #70
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Opinion from the red side (well actually GM is Blue in USA)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...8/#post1820306
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #71
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG
Opinion from the red side (well actually GM is Blue in USA)

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...8/#post1820306
Very interesting reading, it appears that Holden hasn't out engineered anyone, and has in fact with the 3.0l SIDI entered an engineering paradox.
So much for the alleged fuel economy, especially since Holden are always so forthright with the fuel economy figures (think VE launch).

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 19-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #72
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Those torque figures are interesting. How does Holden manage to do something GM can't; achieve normal torque figures at normal revs. All the HFV6s over there rev beyond 10,000rpm (exaggerated for better effect) to reach peak torque. I mean, how does Holden do it at 2900rpm? Geniuses.

There's also a very big flaw in the first post. He refers to the 3.6 thus:

Quote:
One can make the argument that the 3.6L HFV6 has been a great engine.
I'll rephrase for him, "one can make the argument in a jack hammer convention that the 3.6 has been a great engine."

Quote:
For the first few years of its life it was configured with port-injection, but it was overall a solid V6 that was well-respected in the industry.
Um, how?
Old 19-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #73
Mr X
mustang pilot

Sounds like their Aussie test fleet ie SS's faster than HSV GTS's
Mr X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 09:12 PM   #74
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden have a poor history of test car manipulation......
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2009, 09:53 PM   #75
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
Holden have a poor history of test car manipulation......
Particularly when the BA XR8 was released. Holden found out about the 260kw's early and couldn't lose face for their SS, yet didn't know about the weight gain which meant the XR8 didn't actually have the performance jump they expected of such a power lift over the AU XR8.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 10:12 AM   #76
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
I'll rephrase for him, "one can make the argument in a jack hammer convention that the 3.6 has been a great engine."
Sorry mate but that's a bit harsh.
Jack hammers have never been as noisy or vibrated as much as the 3.6.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 20-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #77
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Those torque figures are interesting. How does Holden manage to do something GM can't; achieve normal torque figures at normal revs. All the HFV6s over there rev beyond 10,000rpm (exaggerated for better effect) to reach peak torque. I mean, how does Holden do it at 2900rpm? Geniuses.
I think that is partly 'creative' measurement and a retune. I'm not sure because i can't find any concrete reference but i have been told the power/torque numbers holden quoted were on 98 RON. So that would help. Even so, i think a retune would get close to that Falc'man purely because the australian 3.0 atcually has less torque total number than the US spec. They make up to 310nm (at 5000rpm) so holden has lost 20 nm in return for making it down low. Of course these days with VCT and all the other tech there really is no excuse for torque to be sky high in the rev range for a non sports car anyway, ,regardless of where its 'peak' may come a quality modern engine should be flexible. Ford has made much during the ecoboost briefiings of comparing the low down torque of the EB engines to their competitors. A US spec 3.0 SIDI engine has a very poor torque curve to be honest. Which when combined with a heavy car results in both poor performance and fuel economy.

Basically the 3.0 SIDI engine that GM are using was the 'replace' the port injection 3.6 (which i don't think they use anymore in passenger cars over there). the 3.0 DI can match or exceed the port injection 3.6 IN POWER and so the theory was to save fuel while matching power. You then put the 3.6 DI engine in teh up spec models with its top end power.

Of course the rubbish torque production of the alloytec (which has blighed pretty much every version, save the turbo 2.8) reared it head again. Now the 3.0 is such a slug the gearing has had to be fiddled with and that has hurt fuel economy....the very thing it was suposed to excell at. I'd say GM realised quite late in the process that the 3.0 was a bit of lemon but hadn't the cash or time (given a dearth of new product) to bother. They just did the best they could gearing wise and launched the product. Sound familiar?

Holden has worked on their version a bit longer...hence the mediocre improvements ON PAPER. Holden have gone for economy by detuning the engine and trying to produce as much torque down low as possible...with comparitively tall gearing. This may make decent ADR numbers but in the real world the 3.0 won't burn any less than the 3.6. And it will be, as this GM poster noted, 'a slug' to drive.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #78
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swordsman88
I think that is partly 'creative' measurement and a retune. I'm not sure because i can't find any concrete reference but i have been told the power/torque numbers holden quoted were on 98 RON. ............
Direct injection allows for lower octane fuel, mainly because of the stratification. If anyone was reading the Holden homepage they would think direct injection is a local invention that hasn't been around before = good salesmanship.

The specifications on the 4 August release sheet for the MY10 cars are:

Euro IV+

LF1= 2997cc
CR 11.7:1
190kW@ 6700
290N-m @2900
91 Ron

LLT = 3564
CR 11.3:1
210kW @6400
350N-m @ 2900
91 Ron

tranny is 6L50E

FD 3.27

Quote:
Given five years of strategic development, the manufacturing of global variants for markets around the world, the development of Holden's own Alloytec variant and the commissioning of a $400 million engine plant, the Global V6 engineering and manufacturing project is the most significant engine program ever undertaken by an Australian vehicle manufacturer.
Old 20-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #79
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The 3.27 diff with the very short 1st will ensure 14.6s in the 3.6. The press cars will get 13.9 lol.
Old 20-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #80
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

The 3.0L SIDS will rev like buggery, make lots of noise and feel quick. But it won't be.

The drivers will think they are saving the planet because of the low ADR fuel figure and the rigged trip computer settings which (display lower fuel burn and) have graced GMHoldens for years now.

Either way, the car will be a success because the media is too biased to query or announce concerns and the faithful will buy it due to it's badge.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2009, 08:53 AM   #81
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyc
The 3.0L SIDS will rev like buggery, make lots of noise and feel quick. But it won't be.

The drivers will think they are saving the planet because of the low ADR fuel figure and the rigged trip computer settings which (display lower fuel burn and) have graced GMHoldens for years now.

Either way, the car will be a success because the media is too biased to query or announce concerns and the faithful will buy it due to it's badge.
Too right.
It'll be praised because idiots like rollover Gover are required to praise it, or else he doesn't receive his free HSV every year (check out what he drives, or check the wheels parking lot).

Quote: