Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #61
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: Falcon bad news.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFS1
can anybody tell me why they want to believe this muppet that calls himself an automotive journalist?
Quite a few of us are deeling a bit beaten down at the moment, the constan bad news and knife twisting is hard to hear...

One thing I find odd is the way Hagen has spun Mulally's quotes in the worst possible way, here's what Big Al said:

Quote:
When pushed specifically on Falcon Mulally refused to elaborate, only smiling and saying, "We love the Falcon"
before repeating that large cars sales in Australia - and globally - were declining.
"It's a real good vehicle for us ... we're going to provide the things people want in all the different segments."
You can bet that whatever big car Ford chooses going Forward, Ford Australia will not only be at the table
but will probably be one of the movers and shakers doing codevelopment with Ford NA...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #62
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Lets hope when they do scrap the falcon that they do a few limited editions, like gtho, and anniversary editions and what not give it a good send off.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:46 PM   #63
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Quite a few of us are deeling a bit beaten down at the moment, the constan bad news and knife twisting is hard to hear...
Mate I can really feel for you on that score. Problem for the guys who work at Ford is Ford management can't say what everyone is thinking, because it would cause Falcon sales to go from terrible to non existent. Terri too would drop like a stone. It would be Mitsubishi all over again.

So you poor sods are kept in a permanent rumour mill and misinformation campaign until someone in management decides its time to pull the pin or media scare the last customer away.

Time to work out if you are sticking around for the photo op with the last Falcon and a redundancy cheque, or heading out when you can find some work. Whatever you decide put yourself and your family first. When push comes to shove Ford will get rid of you when it suits them and if you are loyal that only helps them keep the line going until they are finished with the staff.
Sorry to be harsh but that's how employers are these days.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #64
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

How many bloody threads do we need on the falcons death?

Ford- if you going to kill it just come out and say dont just beat around the bush. Same if your going to keep it, its not that hard FFS.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance

Last edited by DJM83; 07-03-2012 at 09:26 PM.
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #65
prydey
Rob

Quote:
One thing I find odd is the way Hagen has spun Mulally's quotes in the worst possible way,
yep, no negative comments that i could read.

Ford will have a car in the large car segment going forward, and it will be a market leader. very negative stuff!!

good chance it will be assembled here also.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:17 PM   #66
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

2016 should see a local falcon, based on global componants...

The falcon is not dead at all.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:20 PM   #67
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I hate to see it go, it's sucha good car, and great value for money.

That said, I have a deposit here for a last Falcon based FPV.

2015/6 delivery is OK.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #68
robertjp

Will ford keep the design studios open when Falcon, then Territory are canned? Unless FORD are willing to re-tool CD, then the keys to Broadmeadows / Geelong. It will be generations before Australia accpets what has been done to a proud resource.

Also what happens to FPV and V8SC, or is this the one of the instigation for CofTF? Only time will tell, which does not look that far away.
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #69
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked

2016 = Plant shut.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM   #70
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjp
Will ford keep the design studios open when Falcon, then Territory are canned? Unless FORD are willing to re-tool CD, then the keys to Broadmeadows / Geelong. It will be generations before Australia accpets what has been done to a proud resource.

Also what happens to FPV and V8SC, or is this the one of the instigation for CofTF? Only time will tell, which does not look that far away.
As far as I have been told Design Studio is heavily involved in Asia pasific designs, stuff not built here or even tested and developed here.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM   #71
spaceman
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
2016 = Plant shut.
Another one with negative comments!!!
Some people don't know what they will be doing tomorrow morning! Let alone 2016!!!!
spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:35 PM   #72
robertjp

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith
As far as I have been told Design Studio is heavily involved in Asia pasific designs, stuff not built here or even tested and developed here.
Quote:
Absolutely nothing, it's not vehicle related...and off topic anyway.
For get i said anything.
Well this good, will this be the money spinner for Ford Australia?
robertjp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM   #73
newi

Well sounds like I will be hanging on to my XR50T.... It might be worth money in years.

Better hook myself up with a 2016 FPV too....

Just after I bought my old Mitsu 380 the plant shut..... I bought my XR in 2010.... Maybe I am a bad omen
newi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #74
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceman
Another one with negative comments!!!
Some people don't know what they will be doing tomorrow morning! Let alone 2016!!!!
Time to get real.
Ute by 2013 and whole plant 2016. Insiders tell me the place is cactus.
Anyone here get to go in the plant? Whats your take?
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #75
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well this good, will this be the money spinner for Ford Australia?
I feel R&D is where govt and Ford OS money will go and they will let the manufacturing side shut shop.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #76
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

well, if the falcon is selling and FoA is making profit...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #77
ivorya
Mad Scientist!

Only problem with the article is AGAIN Mullay/FORD don't give the jurno's anything to work with, so they'll twist what he has said to make an article.
This negativity than ends up being a thread on here and already, i feel like necking myself i'm that down.
If we are feeling this way, how is a potential Falcon or Territory customer going to feel when reading this...... that's right, they'll go across and buy a Cromodore of Craptiva because there is never any negativity put in the press about them. Also they build all their cars here ;) (<- Public perception)
ivorya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #78
TMC
SY TS AWD LPG TEZZA

The Explorer is nothing like the Territory. If the Territory is Ford's biggest seller, then I don't think they'll scrap it, not soon anyway.
4th car 90 XF ute (work car)
5th car 06 SY TS AWD Territory Orbital LPi
6th car 95 XG ute
7th car 2014 SZ Territory TX Petrol
Fords all my life.
TMC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #79
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
What if there's more profit building A Falcon type car next to Mustang stateside.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 08:40 PM   #80
Angeldust

just wondering what is the projected re-sale of 2nd hand used falcons going to be like in the next few years? Im asking simply, with such dwindling new sales figures over the past few years, there's now less and less of these cars in the used market. Does that mean resale will be better?

I know the young fella at work just bought a BF XT, but even though he didnt pay through the roof for it, he could have easily got himself a manual LS1 for that price.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 PM   #81
BroadyFord

Quote:
...they can make a substantially bigger profit making cars in Asia and Nth America and importing them here!
BroadyFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #82
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Yes it is, when your only selling around 1000 Falcons a month, which continues to drop, you have no chance of keeping manufacturing here, those numbers are so tiny they could be replaced by a day or 2 of extra production in a US plant. So what if a foreign made Ford replaces it, it might still sell in enough numbers to not have much of an impact to sales numbers.
Wouldn't be suprised to see Falcon be outsold by Mondeo within a few years the way its going.

Quote:

FPV dies along with Broadmeadows, they will only modify cars they can get from across the road.

Ford will slowly decrease their involvement in V8SC and when Falcon goes they will just put a new set of body panels over the top of the Car of the Future chassis just like Nissan are doing. Its a control chassis and just takes whatever panels they want to stick on top, so it may be racing Mondeos or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC
The Explorer is nothing like the Territory. If the Territory is Ford's biggest seller, then I don't think they'll scrap it, not soon anyway.
The new Explorer is just like the Territory, in terms of being a medium SUV/Crossover vehicle, it drives more like a car than a 4WD like previous Explorers were. It could easily replace Territory, it won't drive quite as well and probably won't have a diesel but in terms of equipment levels it is well past Territory. Again, 1500 odd sales a month isn't enough to justify an all new Territory, and it will die with Falcon.

Ford are introducing the Kuga and Ecosport to help cover the eventual losses from losing Territory. I wouldn't be suprised if they introduced the Explorer within the next year or 2 and start taking away some of the Territorys market.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:03 PM   #83
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Explorer will never get a guernsey here because it has not been developed for RHD. Not to mention the D3 platform it is based on is an orphan platform in itself and will probably go the way of the dodo once its own lifecycle is up.

The T6-based SUV is more likely the Territory replacement candidate.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #84
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Ford aren't just going to come out and say its dead because there is still 4 years left for it to sell. If people hear its dead then nobody will touch it.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-03-2012, 11:18 PM   #85
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Explorer will never get a guernsey here because it has not been developed for RHD. Not to mention the D3 platform it is based on is an orphan platform in itself and will probably go the way of the dodo once its own lifecycle is up.

The T6-based SUV is more likely the Territory replacement candidate.
Existing and Proposed EUCD/CD4 product:
1) Fusion/Mondeo
2) Next Gen Taurus - being developed by Ford NA
3) Next gen Edge - being developed bu Ford Europe

That's just the products we know about..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 12:54 AM   #86
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickyB
I agree with you, I'd be able to handle it a little more easily if it meant we could buy Mustang's and F trucks at reasonable prices. Unfortunately 'One Ford' is just a way for Ford to rationalise killing off region specific models, it doesn't mean we'll get any of the good stuff that Ford NA can't be bothered building in RHD.
In the coming years I expect Ford AU's vehicle range to be far more similar to Ford Europe than Ford NA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
If we get Mustang, Falcon can go and die lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I 've loved the Falcon...if Ford are going to kill it then I hate them. But if they bring in the Mustang all will be forgiven.
You’re joking right?

Sure, if I wanted to stick a poster on my wall, the Mustang would win hands down, and yes a big 2-door would be sweet, but in every other department our Falcon/ F6/ GT would win hands down.
There’s nothing currently stopping Ford selling the Mustang here, except the last time they tried it failed miserably.
If they can’t make a case for an XR8 variant of the existing Falcon, and ANY large car platform is still uncertain, how do they mount a business case for the Mustang?

In regards the Falcon, why would he mention it in a speech in Europe when the name is unknown outside Australia?

We’ve known for a long time that the unique E8 platform has no future. If there is to be a Large Ford sold in Australia, it will be built on the D3/D4. Period.
The advantages of this (to us) are that it allows for AWD performance variants, would allow for a “Territory” based on either the Explorer or Flex and potentially with the option of real off-road capability.
Whilst it still remains to be seen whether there is sufficient residual demand for a large car, if there is then Ford would be mad not to continue the Falcon name. Then the remaining questions are how “localised” the suspension could be and whether it warrants local assembly. There were rumours of a V8 variant, so perhaps there remains a role for FPV assembling expensive V8 performance variants.
The alternative is an expanded Mondeo range, and use their clones of the CX7 &9 to fill the SUV gap. That would suck because your performance variant is going to be the turbo 4, or at best a V6 shoe-horned under the bonnet
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #87
Kynan
Sound of a V8 = Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I think you heard wrong. They might get a factory RHD here for under $40k but a private importer doing a local conversion will be looking at double to triple that price.
Yea I think thats what they were referring to. I hope he gets the mustang (regardless of cost) cause I wouldn't mind parking next to it every morning lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
^^^Kynan, you talking secondhand? There are massive import and compliance costs to consider. My son-in-laws bro bought a new Mustang some years back and it set him back AU$75000 + onroad and other charges. I am talking 18 years ago and it has gotten worse since then. And the yanks see Australians coming from a long way off. Prices adjusted up accordingly. Some of the crud imported should be shipped straight to Simsmetal
Nah they were talking about getting it brand new. Wow that's massive lol
Kynan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 11:00 AM   #88
JG34JA

Originally Posted by Big Damo
I'd vote death to Falcon and Territory if we got Mustang, Explorer and F150 at reasonable prices.

Originally Posted by MickyB
I agree with you, I'd be able to handle it a little more easily if it meant we could buy Mustang's and F trucks at reasonable prices. Unfortunately 'One Ford' is just a way for Ford to rationalise killing off region specific models, it doesn't mean we'll get any of the good stuff that Ford NA can't be bothered building in RHD.
In the coming years I expect Ford AU's vehicle range to be far more similar to Ford Europe than Ford NA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVGT500
If we get Mustang, Falcon can go and die lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilliman
I 've loved the Falcon...if Ford are going to kill it then I hate them. But if they bring in the Mustang all will be forgiven.

I can relate to these feelings. Going to North America I was stunned by the lower prices for really quite a lot of metal, the interesting and different designs, what was in them (loved the Ford Flex AWD wagons myself) and what I deemed to be a real, functioning large scale Capitalist market. I loved that in a bar or restaurant you actually got involving, witty customer service and tipped according to this - on a base $7/hr wage there is real incentive for people to excel. The pricing for totally equivalent items/services in Australia was not even close to competing, and as a consumer I decided to go "on strike" once home, unless I could see competitive pricing or value. Or order overseas. By the looks of retail this year, a lot of other Australians came to the same conclusion at about the same time, and it cuts in terms of people's work and livelihoods.

When I thought about it, there was one exception: if the product or service is Uniquely Australian, available nowhere else, and appealed to me, it was worth the premium. Falcon and Territory fall into this niche, as does a tourism experience at Kata Tjuta, as does a stubby of Coopers pale ale. In the global volume scheme of things, a RWD inline 6 Falcon is far more exclusive than a BMW 3 or 5 series - in sheer numbers alone. It is rare. A Territory is far more exclusive than an Explorer or Grand Cherokee, or Kluger/Highlander, or probably the X5 which inspired it. And with inexorable AUD, market and policy pressures on these products, they are becoming more rare and exclusive by the day. So consider that, they are rare and precious.
JG34JA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #89
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

went to our local ford dealer this morning - only 1 falcon in there (an xr). No FPV, no ute, no territory inside the showroom. I could not see any FPV on the lot anywhere. Sad, and an indication of where the Falcon is in the heirachy.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM   #90
Falcman0o7
Banned

NO!!!!!
I love the falcon :(
Down in history with the valiant...
Falcman0o7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post