Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-04-2005, 10:09 PM   #31
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Discovery on optus today (for the rides program) had something about the first drift race from the Japanese competition in California. Some bloke who was sponsored by Pontiac was running a 04 GTO to represent "local muscle". He had the HSV GTO front bumper on it too.

Last edited by Dave_au; 27-04-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:14 PM   #32
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Its the best form of in car entertainment yet!

Easy to say PFFFT, very difficult to pull off yourself. Just a bunch of burnouts and fishies? Lol, so far off it aint funny. I honestly dont think anyone on this forum can say "So what" in regards to skill with drifting.

Ive been to the last two DriftNats at Calder and they have been nothing short of amazing. Yeah timed racing may be more clear cut, but the free-form factor of drift and the pure fun cant be bested. Ive seen 4s, 6s and 8s all going sideways at full lock, cant wait for the sport to grow.

Its finally startgin to get some major sponsorship and CHannel10 even featured it on the long weekend. Only a 6min clip, but they got inundated with phone calls about it so the signs are good.

With that, im plannign to debut the first drift falcon ever hehe. Plenty of weight loss needed...

Last edited by T_Terror; 27-04-2005 at 10:19 PM.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #33
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Its the best form of in car entertainment yet!

Easy to say PFFFT, very difficult to pull off yourself. Just a bunch of burnouts and fishies? Lol, so far off it aint funny. I honestly dont think anyone on this forum has the skill to say "So what" in regards to skill with drifting.

Ive been to the last two DriftNats at Calder and they have been nothing short of amazing. Yeah timed racing may be more clear cut, but the free-form factor of drift and the pure fun cant be bested. Ive seen 4s, 6s and 8s all going sideways at full lock, cant wait for the sport to grow.

Its finally startgin to get some major sponsorship and CHannel10 even featured it on the long weekend. Only a 6min clip, but they got inundated with phone calls about it so the signs are good.

With that, im plannign to debut the first drift falcon ever hehe. Plenty of weight loss needed...
SO WHAT!!!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #34
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMaster
SO WHAT!!!!

Haha, i knew someone would say it.

SO what indeed...
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #35
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would say drifting is a sport, it is a competition - but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is "racing". Just like you wouldn't say figure skating is a race - it's a competition where you earn more points than your competitors by performing better.

On Channel 10's broadcast - they were talking to one of the drivers, the interviewer revealing the driver developed his skills running from the cops. Brilliant way to promote it as a legitimate sport.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:32 PM   #36
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

While I can appreciate the skill required I'd also seriously have trouble labelling it as a sport - anymore than I'd label burn-out comps a sport. It is competition and it does provide an outlet for those who would otherwise be doing this somewhere less safe plus it's a bonus for tyre manufacturers and the importers of ancient Nissota Soarliner 180's. Judging from the coverage on Sunday it will destroy a few of them too and that can't be all bad.

Frankly, if they want to go sideways fast then they can go do it in the forest where there's lots of nice hard things to hit and where the clock is the definitive keeper of how good you are rather than some arbitary decision based on style points and other such rubbish. Of course (in 2WD vehicles) they'd have to learn how to get sideways without the handbrake but that's a skill they'd soon enough acquire or be uncompetitive.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:43 PM   #37
Chris
AFF.com.au

Drift racing, according to Chris.

Get all the ricer mobiles,

push them off the wharf

watch them DRIFT away.

HAHA, about as exciting as watching grass grow. Ho hum.

my 2 cents. :
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:56 PM   #38
WIKIDSTIX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

me, i cant get enough of it, but i love all car racing.

i was even gonna get an s13 silvia, aswell as a turboed rs2000, ed xr6, xf falcon, lj torana, xa coupe etc... hahaha

i love this drift stang

http://driftunit.com/photos/sema04/0101.jpg
Old 27-04-2005, 10:57 PM   #39
FastR1Red
Radio Man

What I don't understand is no one recognises it for what it really is. We've been "drifting" for years. It all came about with the rear wheel drive rally cars, the techniques developed in many forms here in Aus and overseas. One drift technique the Japs use a lot when unloading the rear was developed in Skandanavia, we use it all the time in rallying. INside to outside to inside, it's a 3 stage manouver and some guys still call in a Skando.

Compression lockups are still in use by those with no hydraulic handbrake. Group N is still the go in ARC so I can't see how they can call it a new sport when it's been around for years. I suppose now it's come into the limelight and been promoted as purely drifting it's a good thing being a "NEW" sport.

sotp = Seat of the Pants = double real RWKW plus add another 50:
PT = Perceived Time. : :
It just feels that fast!!!
FastR1Red is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 10:58 PM   #40
XRQTOR
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
Drift racing, according to Chris.

Get all the ricer mobiles,

push them off the wharf

watch them DRIFT away.

HAHA, about as exciting as watching grass grow. Ho hum.

my 2 cents. :
Oh you are to funny mate, it's only good to watch when they crash. Nothing funnier than watching a ricer who thinks he can drive smash into a solid object at 1oo clicks.
XRQTOR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 11:08 PM   #41
chippa6
Novice Professional

A lot of my mates are mad about it and I can see why? What could be better than heading into a corner at high speed (faster than if you were racing and taking the corner), getting the car sideways BEFORE the corner and completely balancing it on the edge of spinning out with finite adjustments between lock, accelerator, gears, clutch and handbrake, and then joining numerous corners together in such a fluid motion.

I have got numerous vids including the "drift bible" (in Japanese mind you) there is a lot to it.

Anyone can have a powerful car and get sideways around a corner but how many can people can get a severly underpowered 4sp 80's corolla severly unbalanced enough to get the tyres spinning in 2nd then 3rd and make it look easy!

definately an art form I would love to be able to master.

Chippa

Last edited by chippa6; 27-04-2005 at 11:50 PM.
chippa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2005, 11:48 PM   #42
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

I was drifting cars nearly 20 years ago, i had a Holden HT Belmont, 161, 3-speed column shift, cross ply tyres and stuffed suspension, i drifted it too hard one night on the south eastern arterial, full of pi$$ and bravado i took the last bend before the princess hwy at about 85mph on a wet road and drifted up the embankment, put it on its roof and ended in the centre median strip, NOW THATS DRIFTING
Old 28-04-2005, 12:17 AM   #43
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

havent they changed the laws regarding the importation of those second hand jap cars? making it harder.
hopefully the drifting and ricer culture will slowly die.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 12:25 AM   #44
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the term ricers should be used for lancers and excels. real drifting cars are definitely neither of the two. and yes i think they have changed the laws. im not sure what this affects but pretty sure they have
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 12:41 AM   #45
Walkinshaw
Two > One

It can be entertaining but from what i saw, Calder park its a PATHETIC place to hold it. Was watching it on TV and there was all of 3 corners. It was a dismal display of what drifting actualy is. The meetings at Malala are 30x better than what was shown from the pathetic Calder "drift" meet.

Last edited by Walkinshaw; 28-04-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 12:47 AM   #46
paul7v7
bring it on

i find it boring as hell...
Old 28-04-2005, 12:52 AM   #47
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Like it or not, there are some awsome cars and some skilled drivers. Its about style, not times. kind of like wakeboarding I guess - would be pretty boring to see who could get to the end first.

I think opinions also depend largely on what you have seen from it. Watching some lame POS hang a few courners is boring But watching a high power car doing laps of a specially designed circuit when the car is never pointing in the direction is travelling all while within a few feet of another car is pretty impressive.
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 12:55 AM   #48
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippa6

how many can people can get a severly underpowered 4sp 80's corolla severly unbalanced enough to get the tyres spinning in 2nd then 3rd and make it look easy!
Not many bother, as its not impressive.

See there inlies the problem i don't classify that as drift at all. Drift to me requires the rear treads to look like a BBQ at Gary Myres place.

Others don't, and thus the big problem. What may be good to somone isnt anything special to anyone else.

Last edited by Walkinshaw; 28-04-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 28-04-2005, 12:56 AM   #49
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockstandard
I think opinions also depend largely on what you have seen from it. Watching some lame POS hang a few courners is boring But watching a high power car doing laps of a specially designed circuit when the car is never pointing in the direction is travelling all while within a few feet of another car is pretty impressive.
See that is impressive. Anyone seen the video of the 1000bhp 80's 5series BMW??? oh yeah

Old 28-04-2005, 01:07 AM   #50
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

From what i've seen of it, looks like a load of fun to try & a good way to keep up your reflexs. It just need some more V8 or HP6's to get more attention fast. Who doesn't enjoy watching someone laying rubber with the chance of having spin. It a sport just drifferent from what we are use to.

Last edited by AUIII XR8 MAN; 28-04-2005 at 01:09 AM.
AUIII XR8 MAN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:11 AM   #51
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah i think the deal with v8s though is weight reduction. v8s and HP6s can go sideways just aswell i think its just the control factor. id have to agree that you would need to get a different variety of vehicles for it to take off crazy here. i love drifting. i will be certainly trying my hand at it sometime later down the track.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:17 AM   #52
Aeron
DJR Fan

I love watching drifting. When you have guys that know what they are doing, then its great!! But i like moded Skylines, 180s, Silvias etc...

EC 1:51.283
WP 1:10.190

Me Drifting on the Skid Pan **Video**
Aeron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:19 AM   #53
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

makes me laugh the techniques in drift bible for getting your cars sideways. My favourite is when you approach a courner at say 90kph, down shift to second but let the revs die right down. Just as you turn in drop the clutch and the rear wheels will lock up and the back will step out. Then just floor it and countersteer when the car is pointing the right(or wrong) way.

I think the old t5 will have something to say about this sort of driving
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:52 AM   #54
Blue Oval Mopar Man
Has Blue Blood

GT , that vid clip is sic! How easy does that guy make it look ! Amazing !

I'm not arrogent , Just superior
Blue Oval Mopar Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 11:13 AM   #55
MRJUCY
Fordless

I can't see the point of drifting it has all the excitment of syncronised swimming
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:05 PM   #56
big_pete
Sublime

i love it.
its an art form, like burnouts but at high speed and alot more skill.

the CAPA crewman is pretty awsome too.
Old 28-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #57
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
i think the term ricers should be used for lancers and excels. real drifting cars are definitely neither of the two. and yes i think they have changed the laws. im not sure what this affects but pretty sure they have
Yeah something to do with all import cars over such and such age needing to meet ADR's or they're a no go to import.

Yeah the term ricer should stick to cars with all show and no go.

Quote:
I can't see the point of drifting it has all the excitment of syncronised swimming
haha yeah and people that love the drags whats that about ? You just go forward in a straight line all the time j/k

I like both and whilst drifiting isn't a sport, its just as easy to describe drifting or quarter mile running really basic.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:08 PM   #58
dogbreath_48
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well i was never THAT keen, nut now that we're getting some decent V8's into it, i'm there!

-Stu
dogbreath_48 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:09 PM   #59
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
the CAPA crewman is pretty awsome too.
The synchronised burnouts they did at the summernats was awesome. Quite a show.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2005, 01:24 PM   #60
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
The synchronised burnouts they did at the summernats was awesome. Quite a show.
yep, but that was only in the stock utes (near stock)

the drift ute has over 1000hp!!

robbie bolger is one crazy man

http://www.capadrift.com.au/information.htm