Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-05-2011, 11:23 PM   #31
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Defect help

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
I would drop into a RTA office and ask them about. Some police have no clue. Manager's son (P's) had a VE V6 Calais confiscated from him and was left stranded in Melbourne on the weekend. Cops said he wasn't allowed to drive it and was given no official statement/charge sheet. He is going to take them to court though.

However back on the angel eyes. I would think they would be legal if not used while you're driving. They could be for showroom use which many things are not road legal. Also you can have them on to only emit a "white light" but I'm thinking because they have the ability to emit other colours that doesn't go in your favor.

Good luck with it though. I hope you find a way to be able to keep them and not have wasted all the time hooking them up
cheers
well there is a remote that is used to turn them on/off and change colour, how ever i have worked out a way to turn them on to just white only from a switch in the car (they dont know i have a remote) would this help? as i think from what a few people have said the real issue is the colour?
Old 02-05-2011, 12:15 AM   #32
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
i have worked out a way to turn them on to just white only from a switch in the car would this help? as i think from what a few people have said the real issue is the colour?
I think that would definitely help as it then appears the only function with the white light which is legal. That way it is just a matter of if it is legal to have them fitted which I maintain should be allowed for showroom purposes
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 12:35 AM   #33
Dave3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by plarazza
Manager's son (P's) had a VE V6 Calais confiscated from him and was left stranded in Melbourne on the weekend. Cops said he wasn't allowed to drive it and was given no official statement/charge sheet. He is going to take them to court though.
You sure your manager's son wasn't caught doing something else in the car. Driving a prohibited vehicle (which obviously the V6 Calais isn't anyway) isn't an impoundable offence in Victoria.
Dave3911 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #34
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Your tyres were just on the line regarding an issue and your cat isnt right either
I think you havent faired to bad
They couldve been real nice and gone right over the car
IF these lights are illegal ,as many wrote,take them out altogether
Get the car checked out ,pay the fine /s move along

To say they were ONLY on for 2 days,then ya got busted ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 10:55 AM   #35
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
If a mod is illegal...it's illegal to have it fitted, whether it's being used or not.
Our laws are never that black and white
Old 02-05-2011, 11:06 AM   #36
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
And where did i say he was sooking about a fine?
Doing something illegal and getting caught = what do you expect.
Sorry mate, the way i read it it sounded like you have never been fined and your an angel on the road.
My bad
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 11:40 AM   #37
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
Our laws are never that black and white
100% true.
There are plenty of driving lights you can buy from autobarn/etc. that clearly state on the packet "for offroad use only" yet they seem to be fine with a 4x4 with 8 of these mounted across the roof.
Nitrous kits are legal, as long as the bottle is not there.

It's a weird system. In some cases its a situation of it must be completely disabled while on the road, to the other where it's ok as long as you arent seen using it while on the road.

To the OP, my gut feeling would be that they would pass the pits as long as you had an inline fuse wired in and the fuse removed. I dont know how they would view the fact that you opened the headlight,.but there is such a thing as a headlight repairer so someone must be allowed to open them.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #38
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
100% true.
There are plenty of driving lights you can buy from autobarn/etc. that clearly state on the packet "for offroad use only" yet they seem to be fine with a 4x4 with 8 of these mounted across the roof.
Nitrous kits are legal, as long as the bottle is not there.

It's a weird system. In some cases its a situation of it must be completely disabled while on the road, to the other where it's ok as long as you arent seen using it while on the road.

To the OP, my gut feeling would be that they would pass the pits as long as you had an inline fuse wired in and the fuse removed. I dont know how they would view the fact that you opened the headlight,.but there is such a thing as a headlight repairer so someone must be allowed to open them.
I think the part about opening and modifying the headlight from standard would be more of an insurance thing if they cause an accident or something. Not sure how they would view it regarding being roadworthy, if it doesn't affect the headlight beam then I can't see how it would be unroadworthy but its a very grey area.
Ive got mine wired up to a 3way switch, one click is the 'eyes', another click turns them off and turns on the normal parkers and 3rd is no lights at all

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #39
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah they have no effect on the lights they are completely different wiring. This is the thing im hoping will save me
Old 02-05-2011, 02:55 PM   #40
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Yeah they have no effect on the lights they are completely different wiring. This is the thing im hoping will save me
I didn't mean the wiring more so the beam of light that comes out from the headlights whether it is obstructed or anything from the rings

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 02-05-2011, 04:55 PM   #41
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah k, Um to be honest i wouldn't know. On the brightest setting they are brighter than my low beans but i keep it on the lowest setting. Thinking i might just leave it how it is go for a check an say they are not wired with the lights and see if they pass me. Anyone know what its costs for a defect check?
Old 02-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #42
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
ill agree with you, im aware my car draws attention from the police even more so considering i was just leaving a club but the think that more than anything has me ticked off is that they breath tested me twice (first the count then decided to do the blow one only a min apart) and when they couldnt get me for that they set out to get me what ever they could
I occasionally have similar problems in my industry. There are some that once they've stopped they really hate letting you go without booking you for something.
Quote:
Anyone know what its costs for a defect check?
I hate stating the bleeding obvious but could you not just ring whoever does the checking.

I'm not up with the ACT system, who checks for this sort of thing, the 'Rego ACT' people or Authorised garages?
Old 02-05-2011, 06:21 PM   #43
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesson1980
I once got defected for a Momo gear knob with no h-pattern number markings on it in my BA XR8. I looked at the cop and said "but..", to which he cuts me off saying 'this could turn out to be a very bad night for your car'.. I obviously argued no further.
Sorry to hijack the thread, but why is that illegal when its an option supplied from FORD?! I have one on my car from FACTORY and would be very upset if I got fined for it... I've had it for 8 years now since the car came with it when I bought it!

As for Angel eyes, if you wired them to be your parking lights and the light was white, I'm sure that would by pass legalities. Do you still have parking lights and angel eyes?
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #44
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
Sorry to hijack the thread, but why is that illegal when its an option supplied from FORD?! I have one on my car from FACTORY and would be very upset if I got fined for it... I've had it for 8 years now since the car came with it when I bought it!

As for Angel eyes, if you wired them to be your parking lights and the light was white, I'm sure that would by pass legalities. Do you still have parking lights and angel eyes?
I dont think it needs to be directly on top of the gear knob but it needs to be around there somewhere. I know some cars are made with it around the gear boot area. If someone needed to drive your car in an emergency or something they need to know how many gears the car has and where they are. Something along those lines Im pretty sure

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 02-05-2011, 06:31 PM   #45
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah the parkers are stil there. Im think of putting a switch on it that will only allow white to be used. Im also considering just taking it over the pits as it is an I'll get more info off them if somethin doesnt pass. Never know might have just got a cop on the wrong day
Old 02-05-2011, 06:32 PM   #46
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
I dont think it needs to be directly on top of the gear knob but it needs to be around there somewhere. I know some cars are made with it around the gear boot area. If someone needed to drive your car in an emergency or something they need to know how many gears the car has and where they are. Something along those lines Im pretty sure
I dont have it anywhere expect in the owners manual...

So who gets the bill here? Me or Ford for selling a product that isnt ADR compliant?
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-05-2011, 06:33 PM   #47
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I occasionally have similar problems in my industry. There are some that once they've stopped they really hate letting you go without booking you for something.
I hate stating the bleeding obvious but could you not just ring whoever does the checking.

I'm not up with the ACT system, who checks for this sort of thing, the 'Rego ACT' people or Authorised garages?
i would but every time Ive tried i get put on hold, and i run an aldi store workin 65hrs a week with no actual lunch so i Dont have that time only get a few minutes here and there
Old 02-05-2011, 06:44 PM   #48
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
i would but every time Ive tried i get put on hold, and i run an aldi store workin 65hrs a week with no actual lunch so i Dont have that time only get a few minutes here and there
How about ringing or talking to a local garage/mechanic who does roadworthy's...they DO have roadworthys in the ACT, don't they
Old 02-05-2011, 06:49 PM   #49
vibe_xr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How about ringing or talking to a local garage/mechanic who does roadworthy's...they DO have roadworthys in the ACT, don't they

No pink slip needed with rego
Old 02-05-2011, 09:31 PM   #50
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah, but unfortunately ive been directed to the dickson road registry ( act version of RTA except it sits ontop of a gate way to hell) they are really hard on you if they want to. thats why i wanna talk to these guys only to make sure i get everything (mainly lights) to a point that they are happy with
Old 02-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #51
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
yeah, but unfortunately ive been directed to the dickson road registry ( act version of RTA except it sits ontop of a gate way to hell) they are really hard on you if they want to. thats why i wanna talk to these guys only to make sure i get everything (mainly lights) to a point that they are happy with
Like our RTA?..oh dear..
Well, borrow someone's Hyundai and drive down to ask them about your BA first. All the while you're there keep saying 'yes sir'
Old 02-05-2011, 09:56 PM   #52
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

haha luckily i have a bike ( and a hyundai lol) yeah might even have to suit up... do my best to look respectable. although ive found showing up in a work uniform with 'manager' on your name badge also helps
Old 03-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #53
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well started going over the car this arvo, ive stil got a few mm's of tread above the wear marker on all tires, inside front's are the worst ( is uneven wear like that a problem?)

as for height my cat sits 104mm's from the ground and the tank is full so ill drive around a bit over the next couple of days and pump some more air in the tires so height should be good.

got db checked at an exhaust place and they said its fine.

so now my only real worry now is the lights, decided to leave them as they are take it in and see what their opinion on them is and go from there so apart from giving it a good clean up to make it look nice, well looked after and tastefully modified. so all going well it will be ok
Old 03-05-2011, 07:16 PM   #54
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
well started going over the car this arvo, ive stil got a few mm's of tread above the wear marker on all tires, inside front's are the worst ( is uneven wear like that a problem?)

as for height my cat sits 104mm's from the ground and the tank is full so ill drive around a bit over the next couple of days and pump some more air in the tires so height should be good.

got db checked at an exhaust place and they said its fine.

so now my only real worry now is the lights, decided to leave them as they are take it in and see what their opinion on them is and go from there so apart from giving it a good clean up to make it look nice, well looked after and tastefully modified. so all going well it will be ok
Be interesting to see what they say about the lights, don't think anyone has had to get it looked over before with them in so no-one really knows what the consensus is

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 03-05-2011, 07:20 PM   #55
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah it will be interesting, although i have rigged a switch that will turn them on to white only with out the remote and completely separate to the headlight functions. so hopefully that is enough. apart from that i suppos its down to jsut the opening the headlight part

worst case ill just have to throw the spare standard lights on
Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #56
kenz
BOSS Pilot

yea I can't see the part about opening the headlight will be a problem as you haven't actually changed any of the standard 'light' in the headlight you've just put some extra bits in which if there is a problem it will be that instead

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #57
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

(maybe old) ACT defect notice experience.

- Only defected once, for balding tyres
- no fine, only a notice to get it checked.
- there's a part on the form, that says 'any' or 'Dickson'. Any means you can take it to any registered vehicle inspector and they'll just check the defect has been fixed and you're on your way. Dickson means you MUST take it to the Dickson motor registry, where they'll go over the whole car, and get you for anything that's wrong (tyres, worn bushes, lights) etc.

Ditch the rice lights and get the car cleared.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 PM   #58
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah unfortunately i have to go to dickson
Old 03-05-2011, 08:43 PM   #59
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Mate if the car is as it reads in your sig... that is lowered with an aftermarket bigger cooler, big dump pipe etc...I would not be too worried about going to the pits with dodgey headlamps that will be the least of your worries I think you will walk away with more paperwork than you started with especially if the ACT pit inspection is anything like a NSW version.
I hope for your sake I'm wrong but you may find your ebay lights cost you a lot more than what they are worth.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 09:05 PM   #60
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV+fteT3
Mate if the car is as it reads in your sig... that is lowered with an aftermarket bigger cooler, big dump pipe etc...I would not be too worried about going to the pits with dodgey headlamps that will be the least of your worries I think you will walk away with more paperwork than you started with especially if the ACT pit inspection is anything like a NSW version.
I hope for your sake I'm wrong but you may find your ebay lights cost you a lot more than what they are worth.
this is true how ever I've check the ride height an its fine exhaust isnt to loud as i opted for the larger mufflers that xforce offer, all the mods Ive done (with exception to the lights) are all common and also legal. So unless i get a ford hater an act like an **** i cant see them being a problem?