Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2010, 10:14 AM   #31
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
I have not seen one great wall at my work. 90% fords and Toyota 4wd's, few holdens, some land rovers, etc, but no horrid Chinese buckets. The tradesman don't trust them. And they'd rather drive VB wagons than great walls.
I don't know about SA but i see them all the time in QLD, plenty of tradies buying them, neighbour has two and he says the service/warranty offered beats any other vehical in the same class hands down, and that coupled with the low purchase price is why he is buying another one....

I said this in the Great Wall thread, the majority of people don't give a dam about crash test figures, all they see is the dollar figure, and that is why these sorts of cars will always find buyers....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:17 AM   #32
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I'm seeing these Great Wall utes around a lot lately.
They are also putting them into shopping centres so everyone can see.
They're cheap and are able to do what most people want out of such a vehicle.

I wouldn't be so quick to discount them.
Agree 100%....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:18 AM   #33
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just like cheap homeless brand baked bean's at the supermarket.. Some people buy them and some people won't.......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:41 AM   #34
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Chinese are quite capable of building good quality equipment, VW have a factory in Shanghai that exports to the world.

Great Wall utes are a copy of an older Japanese design and while many on here poo poo them they seem to be aquiring a market.

Japanese performance cars were also treated with ridicule and distain by the Australian motor racing enthusiasts until Nissan turned up at Bathurst with a GTR Skyline.......

And lets be realistic, if Great Wall suddenly turned up with a AU/BAish looking RWD high powered V8 (with LOTS of stripes) and an I6 that was compatabile with Falcon parts and accessories and retailed for $20-25k I suspect it would sell quite well to a huge segment of the Falcon market.

And if they did the same with a Commodore compatible they may actually wipe out Ford and Holden manufacturing in Australia forcing it offshore to survive.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 10:42 AM   #35
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A company near us bought a Great Wall, even though we have Rangers on the yard they can see right in front of them. They are happy to pay much less for a Chinese built car with a petrol engine in it. I am sure they will expect amazing resale for it in the future as well.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:57 AM   #36
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I'm non-committal on Toyota as they have other Asian plants that could build
Camry and Aurion, they could pull out at a moment's notice if it suited them
GM & Ford have lots of plants around the world too. From Detroit's point of view, Australian plants must be difficult to justify, especially GM who are bankrupt and owe the US taxpayers quite a bit.

Toyota Canrys are still Australian made, and Toyota make far more units both for local consumption and export than Holden do, way more units than Ford do. If you want to support local jobs, Toyota is the biggest contributor to the local economy, it's just a pity the Camry is a butt ugly refrigerator.

I know that this sometimes turns into an "Aussie company" vs the world thing, but it needs to be remembered that there are no Aussie car companies - they are all 100% owned by overseas. I don't give a crap whether it's owned by the USA, China, Japan or India. What's important is that they manufacture here, and that's the best we can hope for.
Old 21-04-2010, 10:58 AM   #37
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Where i work we dig up dirt and send it to China.. If China does good.. I do good........
The stuff I pull out of the ground at work goes to Japan, so there's my excuse to not buy a Great Wall vehicle.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
A company near us bought a Great Wall, even though we have Rangers on the yard they can see right in front of them. They are happy to pay much less for a Chinese built car with a petrol engine in it. I am sure they will expect amazing resale for it in the future as well.
Yes but 66% of $42k after 2 years is $28k with a loss of $14k whereas 40% of $20k is $8k with a loss of $12k. $2k++

Interest paid on the $42k will be about double that paid on the $20k.

For years I had dozens of Falcons as work cars from XCs up to BAs. They just kept getting more and more expensive to operate.
I then went to Toyotas with an Avalon, Aurion and Yaris. The operating costs reduced significantly and when I sold the Yaris after 18 months and 30,000km I actually made a book profit and I sold it wholesale to a dealer for only $750 less than I paid for it.

Times are still tough and the GFC is still a long way from being over. Yesterday I went out to buy a Fiesta but ended up with a Hyundai, 20% cheaper, just as economical and similar resale BUT 5 year unlimited km warranty.

To a great many it is more a numbers game than an emotional decission....
Old 21-04-2010, 11:19 AM   #39
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Yes but 66% of $42k after 2 years is $28k with a loss of $14k whereas 40% of $20k is $8k with a loss of $12k. $2k++

Interest paid on the $42k will be about double that paid on the $20k.

For years I had dozens of Falcons as work cars from XCs up to BAs. They just kept getting more and more expensive to operate.
I then went to Toyotas with an Avalon, Aurion and Yaris. The operating costs reduced significantly and when I sold the Yaris after 18 months and 30,000km I actually made a book profit and I sold it wholesale to a dealer for only $750 less than I paid for it.

Times are still tough and the GFC is still a long way from being over. Yesterday I went out to buy a Fiesta but ended up with a Hyundai, 20% cheaper, just as economical and similar resale BUT 5 year unlimited km warranty.

To a great many it is more a numbers game than an emotional decission....
I don't have anything against a business wanting to save $$ by buying a cheaper vehicle, it is very rare to see a business buy on emotion and yes its all about money and keeping costs down.
As long as they know what they are buying with Great Wall, a less economical petrol engine and something they bought for $24k odd won't be anywhere near that on resale.
Old 21-04-2010, 11:28 AM   #40
barra240t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
The Chinese are quite capable of building good quality equipment, VW have a factory in Shanghai that exports to the world.

Great Wall utes are a copy of an older Japanese design and while many on here poo poo them they seem to be aquiring a market.

Japanese performance cars were also treated with ridicule and distain by the Australian motor racing enthusiasts until Nissan turned up at Bathurst with a GTR Skyline.......

And lets be realistic, if Great Wall suddenly turned up with a AU/BAish looking RWD high powered V8 (with LOTS of stripes) and an I6 that was compatabile with Falcon parts and accessories and retailed for $20-25k I suspect it would sell quite well to a huge segment of the Falcon market.

And if they did the same with a Commodore compatible they may actually wipe out Ford and Holden manufacturing in Australia forcing it offshore to survive.
So Great Walls/Chery/Geely/BYD look-a-like Yaris/Aurion/Camry will be next on your shopping list? ;)
Old 21-04-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
exdubbleya

Having worked in the small appliance industry for a while, its no surprise that every appliance (kettle, toaster etc) is now made in China. If you would have said this 10 years ago when Australia still had a manufacturing sector you would have been laughed at. The reality is the Chinese have improved – both quality of manufacturing and quality of design.
I know that a kettle and a car are not the same – but the fact remains that China has a huge labour force, overheads are low and quality is increasing. With regards to vehicles, I reckon a few things will definitely happen. The major brands will start manufacturing in China – and we will probably not notice the difference. Chinese companies will rip off or borrow other/older designs (look at proton “borrowing” older Mitsubishis) – and they will learn and improve. In time, and it will take time, these Chinese brands will grow and be major players.
Will Great Wall work? Who knows – I am sure the same question was asked 20 years ago when Hyundai started – look at their designs now.
Interesting times ahead eh?
exdubbleya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2010, 12:41 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by barra240t
So Great Walls/Chery/Geely/BYD look-a-like Yaris/Aurion/Camry will be next on your shopping list? ;)
If they are half the price with reasionable build quality and equivalent warranty then yes they are.

Of course I never personally drive any of these work cars
Old 21-04-2010, 01:09 PM   #43
ltd
Force Fed Fords

I can just imagine a song if they start exploding like the Ford Pinto used to;
"Goodness gracious Great Wall's on Fire"

It'll find a market no less and let's face it, when everyones bills keep going up and up and up people will opt for the cheap new car. No brainer really.

Quote: