Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2008, 08:12 PM   #31
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i was told that it's alright to be in the outside lane providing you are not holding up traffic or causing people to overtake you, say in a 100 zone you're sitting on 105 or about that.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #32
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Noise
If you don’t think that you’re up to it, PM me her phone number and I’ll tell her. Although, I will not be held responsible for her perforated eardrum.

was thinkin that myself
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 08:16 PM   #33
burnz
VFII SS UTE

email this thread to her.
let the ford forum's steer her right.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 08:18 PM   #34
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
email this thread to her.
let the ford forum's steer her right.

Even better still organise her to be on the same strip of road as a few of the members and they can ram it into her.....
Old 13-07-2008, 08:27 PM   #35
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

If you cant tell her she is breaking the law just let her find out the hard way! or, just harden up and tell her!, not like she would dump you over it!!
Old 13-07-2008, 08:46 PM   #36
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

People who do the wrong thing and then get defensive when it gets brought to their attention give me the sh*ts. Tell her, if she can't accept being told she's wrong, find a new one.

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2008, 11:10 PM   #37
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Tell her straight up....

My ex's driving drove me up the freaking wall.... she was one of those ppl who would roll downhill, and if the car went to 63km/h in a 60 zone, she would press the brake to slow down to 59..... long hill... well you work it out....

Meh... technically correct I know... but stillllllll.

You need to tell her straight. I did... if she dont like you 'telling her what to do' then your gonna get driven up the wall by this bird.... ditch sooner rather than later...

It's like whe you test drive a new car. If something annoys you within the first 30 seconds, it will annoy you all throughout your ownership.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 12:01 AM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
i was told that it's alright to be in the outside lane providing you are not holding up traffic or causing people to overtake you, say in a 100 zone you're sitting on 105 or about that.
Perhaps you should just download a copy of the road rules in your state and read them. I doubt an officer is going to listen to that excuse because you were travelling in the right lane on a road over 80kph and not actually overtaking someone.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 08:06 AM   #39
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tank
Buy some of these?
bahahahahaha

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 08:38 AM   #40
IEVLV8
Resident Holden God

i recently moved out of Vic but i heard that the Cops were gunn be tougher on ROAD HOGS (right lanes drivers)

it technically isn't ILLEGAL to drive in the right lane but you should keep left unless overtaking, if you are caught out in the right lane holding up traffic you can be fined for road hogging

but i say tell the chick if she ain't gunna drive properly u gunna disconnect her engine so she can't drive
Old 14-07-2008, 08:39 AM   #41
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
So its alright to speed?
Old 14-07-2008, 08:41 AM   #42
big_waity
Windsor Man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob^
If you can't even tell her to not drive out of the right lane without getting your head bitten off, time to find a new girlfriend.
Exactly what I was going to say!

Seriously, you aren't telling her she is fat or that she can never go shopping again. If you can't say to your missus "Are you aware that you need to stay in the left lane unless overtaking?" without dieing, then 1 of you has a problem. Just bring it up, say it nicely and if she explodes and decides to leave you, then it is probably for the best.
Old 14-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #43
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Perhaps you should just download a copy of the road rules in your state and read them. I doubt an officer is going to listen to that excuse because you were travelling in the right lane on a road over 80kph and not actually overtaking someone.
I personally don't sit in the right hand land, no need to, just repeating something a mate of mine said (his old mans an ex traffic cop), that was that the keep left unless overtaking rule only applys on roads with a speed limit either under or above 80 (Can't remember which one).
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 09:08 AM   #44
da_ilks

Meh, I always sit in the right hand lane, overtaking or not. But that's because I'm always on 110km/h, and it saves constant lane changes. People who sit in the right hand lane at 100km/h or less, and refuse to move to the left for faster traffic, need to be banned from driving. they annoy me. Your gf annoys me. Tell her I said that.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #45
dave289
Banned

people who sit in the right hand lane when not overtaking should be banned for a year,then maybe these dopes will learn.not only do they endanger other road users by forcing them to overtake on the inside lane they stuff up the whole traffic flow for everyone else.I constantly see dopes hang in the right hand lane on the f3 from sydney when there is three lanes.they stuff it up for everyone one else.ban them for a year they should not be on the road.you get morons who think because they are doing the speed limit that no one else should be going any faster and so they hog the right lane.

have some balls and tell your gf she is not only making it dangerous for other road users she is messing up the whole traffic flow.some people have no idea and need to be told.
dave289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:45 AM   #46
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_ilks
Meh, I always sit in the right hand lane, overtaking or not. But that's because I'm always on 110km/h, and it saves constant lane changes.
Sure you do.

Some of the observations made by above, and other posters are a good reason why freeway limits might be reduced.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #47
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave289
people who sit in the right hand lane when not overtaking should be banned for a year,then maybe these dopes will learn.not only do they endanger other road users by forcing them to overtake on the inside lane they stuff up the whole traffic flow for everyone else.I constantly see dopes hang in the right hand lane on the f3 from sydney when there is three lanes.they stuff it up for everyone one else.ban them for a year they should not be on the road.you get morons who think because they are doing the speed limit that no one else should be going any faster and so they hog the right lane.

have some balls and tell your gf she is not only making it dangerous for other road users she is messing up the whole traffic flow.some people have no idea and need to be told.
AMEN to that! :

Just last night, driving home on the M5, for 30km there was a lady in a new merc in the right lane the whole way. She didn't go a touch over 110.....
She had an adult (daughter??) in the back seat (and no one in the front?? WTF), all interior lights on, kept leaning over her left shoulder to have a conversation. Never once looked in her review mirror to see the line of people banked up, and then having to overtake on the left....

Bet she thinks she is a really safe driver to....

How I wish I was a cop sometimes....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 10:58 AM   #48
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
AMEN to that! :

Just last night, driving home on the M5, for 30km there was a lady in a new merc in the right lane the whole way. She didn't go a touch over 110.
NSW Road Users Handbook
Quote:
"Driving on the motorway"
Once on the motorway, stay in the left lane unless overtaking.

If there are three lanes and the left lane has many vehicles travelling at a slower speed than you, stay in the middle lane. After you have passed them, you should return to the left lane. The right lane is generally reserved for overtaking so move out of it as soon as it is safe to do so.
Might need to make some stickers:-)

* NSW is the only State in AUS that encourages drivers to use the left lane on long three-laned sections of freeway class roads. (Same as Convention and EU). In other states, 'keep middle unless overtaking applies':-))
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 14-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #49
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEVLV8
i recently moved out of Vic but i heard that the Cops were gunn be tougher on ROAD HOGS (right lanes drivers)

it technically isn't ILLEGAL to drive in the right lane but you should keep left unless overtaking, if you are caught out in the right lane holding up traffic you can be fined for road hogging

but i say tell the chick if she ain't gunna drive properly u gunna disconnect her engine so she can't drive
Pretty sure it is illegal to sit in the right hand lane if you are not overtaking and the speed limit is in excess of 80 k's. Mate of mine got done years ago and he was the only car on the road (driving at around 3am forgotton all the rest of the details)

Got to love people that break a law (keep left) to enforce another law (speeding) :togo:

I suggest you bring it up with your missues but put a safety spin on it all (just like the government) Sugegst she is far safer sitting in the left hand lane and you care about her that much that her safety is very important to you :

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #50
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

LOL if you were a real bastard you could make a quiet call to the traffic coppers and tell them you have a guaranteed quota ticket for em.

I don't like spending much time in the right lane, even when I'm overtaking because every 2nd person in QLD tailgates. Makes me very very very cross. Tailgating should be punishable by a tyre iron to the face.

Right lane hogs just annoy me, but the right hand lane hogs who speed up to prevent you passing on the left REALLY get my goat.
Old 14-07-2008, 11:36 AM   #51
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter
LOL if you were a real bastard you could make a quiet call to the traffic coppers and tell them you have a guaranteed quota ticket for em.

I don't like spending much time in the right lane, even when I'm overtaking because every 2nd person in QLD tailgates. Makes me very very very cross. Tailgating should be punishable by a tyre iron to the face.

Right lane hogs just annoy me, but the right hand lane hogs who speed up to prevent you passing on the left REALLY get my goat.
More annoying is when you follow someone doing 80'ks in a 110 zone and you have no opportunity to pass and then you see an overtaking lane ahead and all of a sudden they are doing 120 :

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 11:56 AM   #52
XABEBAGT
GT Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
More annoying is when you follow someone doing 80'ks in a 110 zone and you have no opportunity to pass and then you see an overtaking lane ahead and all of a sudden they are doing 120 :
I cop this one every day on the highway. It frustrates the hell out of me. I go past them regardless of what speed they increase to. This will probably cost me a ticket one day but if you don't go past you will soon be doing 80 again. Strange thing is that once you get past them they slow down to 80 again. :
Cheers
Keith
3/93 EB2GT No 204 - Cardinal Red 1 of 88
8/03 BAGT No 395 - Blood Orange
6/08 FGGT No 295 - Octane
3/64 XM 4 Door - Red
XABEBAGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 01:49 PM   #53
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you should just show her this thread, and let her read how much is pi$$es people off.

Another point about driving in the right lane even at the posted speed - what about emergency vehicles where all time is precious? ambo's, cops, fireys etc. Right lane drivers who live in their own world are dangerous and have no consideration for anyone but themselves.

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #54
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

I love the way this has made 3 pages of posts so far, so here is my 20c worth...TELL HER to move over and learn the road rules........she will forgive you.....I hate my wife's driving so much I only let her drive when I've had a few too many, it's an unspoken rule in our relationship....she does not drink so she knows when I've been drinking I'll hand the keys over...and when we go out regardless of who's car we are taking I jump in the drivers seat...she knows I dont like her driving, and she hates my back seat driving..
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #55
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
Pretty sure it is illegal to sit in the right hand lane if you are not overtaking and the speed limit is in excess of 80 k's.
Directly above your post (as quoted above), is another quoting from the NSW's driver training book on the subject.

The keep-left 'generally' and when on a 'multi-lane road' rules are harmonised nationally.
Old 14-07-2008, 02:24 PM   #56
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

show her this,

it sits proudly on my car
Old 14-07-2008, 02:28 PM   #57
da_ilks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Sure you do.
I'm well aware the law is keep left in VIC, however, if I'm not holding up traffic (and I'm quick to change lanes if someone wants to go past, no problems there) and avoiding constant lane changes I don't see how my driving behaviour is somehow illegal. Considering how poor some drivers are I'd rather not frighten them by attempting to change lanes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Some of the observations made by above, and other posters are a good reason why freeway limits might be reduced.
God I hope not - they are too low as is. Maybe if driving standards were better in this country we'd actually be trusted to travel at speeds our cars and roads can handle.

Then again, pigs might fly as well.
da_ilks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 02:30 PM   #58
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordACE
show her this,

it sits proudly on my car

Where did you get that? I want one.
Old 14-07-2008, 02:53 PM   #59
LTDHO
The one and only

Point out the signs on the side of the road, explain that it applies to a road where any road speed signed at 80kph or higher it is the law to keep left.

Also, as a side note. Explain that it's courteous.

Finaly, it keeps the lane free for emergancy vehicles.

It is that simple
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2008, 03:11 PM   #60
FordACE
Fast Ford to the Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
Where did you get that? I want one.
my girlfriend made it up and had it printed at her old job. Her new job doesn't have a vinyl printer yet, but is supposed to be getting one soon.

Maybe I could organise something.