Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #31
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Default Re: What do i do?! I think i have hit the WALL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by max_torq
Maybe for the $1400 he wants, you can get him to rectify the faults, just make sure he does the work to satisfaction before you pay him. As others have mentioned it may not be an excessive price to pay if the outcome is reasonable.
$1400 is not for the repairs. Its overall for the job that he did. Thats why i couldnt believe it when he rocked up to my factory asking for more cash.
IEAT8S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #32
protd
TUFF FORDS

i made my original comment before i knew what you paid, i am sorry for whats happened to you..

you pay peanutsyou get monkeys, i'm not saying it's right, but for 3500 for everything i wouldnt have expected to much..

and max torq is right use the 1400 he wants as leverage, get the car in there and tell him what you want fixed and with hold the money until your satisfied, it's going to cost you more than that to have someone else do it..

i paid 2/3rds of what you paid for your whole car on a engine bay, and i got a job not to different from yours by the sounds of it, i hadthem redo thework 4 times and in the end paid the ***** and walked away, i can hold my headup high as i paid him, and i got to tell every one where i got my car painted, was really good advertising for him..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #33
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok I was in this same boat........Firstly you must have a receipt.......very important.......Secondly you have to give the panel shop the first option to repair your said concerns. Now if this fails you will need to get the Department of Fair Trading involved and voice your concerns and then you will both have a meeting with a representative to discuss your concerns ....
I took this Panel shop on and I won my money back and it paid for another panel shop to redo the vehicle.....so it does work going through the correct channels ,but always keep your cool.....no one likes being hurled abuse at....so I know this exercise works....good luck but don't give up.
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 10:20 AM   #34
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

How long did that process take?
Old 27-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #35
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Having painted a project car myself..
NOT saying it's a TOP job by any means..
I can see both sides when it comes to rust repairs..
He quoted cheap to get the job..
The price is possibly right for painting ...
What type of paint was used.. Acrylic is quite easy to repair..
Thank goodness for that !!! Lol..
Some sanding and polishing on the runs ???
Have you thought of doing it yourself with help from guys
on here ??? Plenty of vids on YouTube etc to get some advice etc..
I always worry with shonks like this that they don't give your car back until
you pay what they want...
Imo..Think about moving on and not letting it get to you..
Use this frustration to get into it yourself !!!
Check the paint and panel section here..
Patience and time you'll get there ...
Trust me...
If you lived up this way.. I would only be too happy to help ...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #36
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Apprieciate it ebxr8240. The paint in 2pack. Frustration is an understatment.

After the xmas break im going to get a couple of quotes to see what the cost will be to repair the issues that i have. It wont all be done as the budget on the build will not let me. Just the doors so i can put my bloody handles back in.
Old 27-12-2011, 06:23 PM   #37
Brute 33
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the panel shop trying to repair the concerns I had and not resolving them and taking them to Fair trading and getting the favourable result was about 1 and a half months....so it was worth it.
Brute 33 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #38
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

IEAT8S, don't give up! You will love the end result. Use some of the advice on here and take your course of action. Just don't sell

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2011, 11:20 PM   #39
fordfreak1

have you fully paid? You should always hold some off until you have inspected the work in a light room or given to a car detailer to inspect.

anyways

why bother going back? to get another crap job. the guy is going to be even less motivated to fix his own work now that he has finished and got your money.

sorry mate i do feel for you. hope you can get this sorted.
Old 28-12-2011, 08:25 AM   #40
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

He has $3000 of the $3500 that i am supposed to pay. Plus another $1400 that he is also requesting. He isnt going to see an extra cent out of me thats for sure. Once the new year begins i will be searching for quotes to repair the paint. Hope it isnt too steep.
Old 28-12-2011, 09:25 AM   #41
jcxr
Tribal Elder

If you havent paid in full, he doesnt have to do anything. You havent paid your bill.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 10:26 AM   #42
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Yeah i know... Im not going to give anymore cash due to the state of the car. Im not asking him to fix it for nothing. I dont want him near my car full stop.

Im cutting al ties with this bloke and accepting that the money that he does have as a right off.
Old 28-12-2011, 10:41 AM   #43
protd
TUFF FORDS

if you withhold cash and don't give him the opportunity to repair his work and just get someone else to do it you all of a sudden become in the wrong, by law if you have a gripe you must allow the original repairer the option to repair the car first, you can't just not pay and go elsewhere...

your going about this the wrong way..
protd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:08 AM   #44
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

is this the cool bit where dudes eat hospital food over a $3k paint job.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #45
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Yeah mate protd has got a point, you should be saying to the guy, when it's fixed properly then you can have the rest of your money. But for $3500 I wouldn't expect more then a bogged up spray over anyway. I get my cars done for around that and I'm good mates with my panel beater. And I have to go down and do the rubbing back clean the booth or any other ***** jobs they want me to do.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 11:50 AM   #46
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

I wasnt expecting the world for $3500. I know wat a spray job is worth. I got quotes for up $10000. But its just the lack of communication from the painter in regards to the magnatude of the job was disapointing. He couldve told me half way that it was going to blow out but he didnt. He just rushed it and stuffed it causing more problems than when he got the thing.

Everyone saying that i got wat i paid for is a true statement. But for me not even to put my door handles in is a bit much.
Old 28-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you approached him about the door handle issue...
what has he had to say???????????????????......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #48
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Denies everything. I cant belive it! And he still wants extra cash and then some for on top if he is to fix it. Crazy!
Old 28-12-2011, 01:31 PM   #49
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry to hear you're dealing with a shonk. I would probably cut your losses with this bloke and find someone who will do a decent job for your money. Don't get disheartened, I think all builds go though a stage where you lose motivation for one reason or another. Walk away from it for a bit if you have to just don't make any decisions about selling while you're down on the build. It sounds like your issues can be fixed and is far from stuffed. Might take some money or time or both, things will work out. If you need some inspiration check out recoils xa coupe build, now that thing was stuffed and he resurrected it from nothing. You might feel better afterwards.
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 07:28 PM   #50
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

How can he deny what he obviously did??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #51
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
. But for $3500 I wouldn't expect more then a bogged up spray over anyway. I get my cars done for around that and I'm good mates with my panel beater. And I have to go down and do the rubbing back clean the booth or any other ***** jobs they want me to do.

Sounds like he did get a bog job and a crappy bog job at that too. Geez, the poor fella can't even put his door handles in the doors.

And spray over. I wouldn't even class it as a spray over, when you can see through the paint.

Only takes half a brain to bog a car properly and put a coat of jam on. This pb hasn't even got that, by the sounds of it.

Oh and yeah, got a couple of mates that do paint/panel work for me. Costs me materials. They'd be too ashamed to do such a crappy job, like the op has had done. After all, it's their reputations on the line. Reputations are something that can't be bought. It has to be earned by quality workmanship

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2011, 08:47 PM   #52
M-Dog

I do not understand so many people saying “you get what you pay for”. I would have thought that people would show compassion for some-one with a common love for his project going through some troubles. This is pretty blatant misconduct of fair business practice in my humble opinion.

Doesn’t it all come down to the fact that the PB and IEAT8S reached an agreement on what was to be done. The PB gave him the quote for what would be done to get that agreed effect and then NOT deliver.
It just seems to me the PB didn’t get it right and just hopes this guy goes away. Seen it before, under-quote to get the business then deliver rubbish or turn around and force you to pay so much more to reach that desired effect.

I like the idea of “name and shame” but what does it get YOU in the end? You’re still stuck with what you have and have to move on like it or not.

Go back and as stated earlier, stay calm and talk through your concerns with him. Hopefully you’ll both reach something your happier with, after-all you have to give him the chance to play fair, if he doesn’t smack him with Fair Trades and go elsewhere with what you get!

I can understand that it will be difficult to move forward but don’t let some ****** stop you from completing your project mate

Good luck
Old 28-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #53
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

First...Was there a written Quote ??
Did he give you a proper receipt ??
Or was it a cash job ???
ATO may be interested...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #54
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
First...Was there a written Quote ??
Did he give you a proper receipt ??
Or was it a cash job ???
ATO may be interested...
No written quote...
I have a written receipt saying that i have given $3000 cash.
And yes it was a cash job.

I dont think there is much of a leg to stand on, on my end.
Old 30-12-2011, 02:49 AM   #55
M-Dog

Well that changes a few things doesn't it!
Old 30-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #56
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Mate just because I said you don't get much for $3500, dosn't mean I agree with what the panel beater has done. What I meant for that money instead of cutting the rust out and weldinig in plates, they will just bog it up. But it still should look good for a few years, until the rust starts breaking out again. So if you can see though the paint and can't put you door handles in as well as runs. Then you have got something to complain about. All I can suggest is either cut your losses and tell him to stick the other money. Or talk to him about your concerns and what you want fixed and then he will see the rest of his money. But of coarse only after you are happy with the result.
Old 30-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #57
IEAT8S
Turbo Power

The thing is that at the start when he was fixing the rust he was doing great! I went into the shop almost every week to check the car out. He cut out pieces re-welding, the works! I was really happy. Its when he started to realise that the cost was going to blow out, thats when the paint work and other parts started to come un done. If i can walk away from it now it wouldnt be too mad as i know that the major rust repairs and welding has been done properly. Its just the finish that is a little suspect.
Old 30-12-2011, 12:42 PM   #58
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Dog
I do not understand so many people saying “you get what you pay for”. I would have thought that people would show compassion for some-one with a common love for his project going through some troubles. This is pretty blatant misconduct of fair business practice in my humble opinion.

Doesn’t it all come down to the fact that the PB and IEAT8S reached an agreement on what was to be done. The PB gave him the quote for what would be done to get that agreed effect and then NOT deliver.
It just seems to me the PB didn’t get it right and just hopes this guy goes away. Seen it before, under-quote to get the business then deliver rubbish or turn around and force you to pay so much more to reach that desired effect.

I like the idea of “name and shame” but what does it get YOU in the end? You’re still stuck with what you have and have to move on like it or not.

Go back and as stated earlier, stay calm and talk through your concerns with him. Hopefully you’ll both reach something your happier with, after-all you have to give him the chance to play fair, if he doesn’t smack him with Fair Trades and go elsewhere with what you get!

I can understand that it will be difficult to move forward but don’t let some ****** stop you from completing your project mate

Good luck
while we all have compassion for the original poster - most of us have been in the same position, we all learn from it. we have all trusted a panel beater with stars in our eyes and not enough thought into it. whether that be not enough checking on their work or going for the lowest price that simply does not cover the overall repairs

5 different guys worked on my coupe between 88-91. none had the pleasure of working on it again. only 2 guys have touched mine since, and the only reason for changing was the 1st guy left the trade

i do not know the details of the original posters problems, but if the rust work was done right, then maybe he did get an amount of value for money . . . . in no way am i suggesting he should still like the panel beater or even pee on him if he was on fire, but most of us are very trusting of others with our cars. if some random guy knocked on our door with a new phone plan, do we trust them . . . . and yet some guys offers to paint our car for a potentially unrealistic price and we just throw them the keys

unfortunately it isn't easy to get good work done on our cars - even more unfortunate is virtually all of us have been stung . . . and it will continue to happen
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #59
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by IEAT8S
The thing is that at the start when he was fixing the rust he was doing great! I went into the shop almost every week to check the car out. He cut out pieces re-welding, the works! I was really happy. Its when he started to realise that the cost was going to blow out, thats when the paint work and other parts started to come un done. If i can walk away from it now it wouldnt be too mad as i know that the major rust repairs and welding has been done properly. Its just the finish that is a little suspect.
In that case mate just cut your losses and save some more dollars, meanwhile looking and asking around for a good reputable panel beater that has done resto work. And they should be able to show you some of their previous work. Probably cost you, your three and a half all over again. But you are better of waiting a bit longer for your build then to slap it together not totally happy with it.
Old 31-12-2011, 05:56 PM   #60
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Whilst I feel for the you I tend to lay some blame on you also as for $3,500 for rust repairs and paint on an x series falcon shortcut were guaranteed.

Being a builder I get hundreds of quotes for work and when some ate ridiculously cheap I basically ignore them, as I know the work cannot be done properly for the quoted amount, as is obviously the case here.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post