Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-10-2019, 07:46 AM   #31
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Default Re: Vfacts September 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
The sinking of Mazda 3 continues, out of top 10 with 1700 sales. CX30 looking like wise product development

Also there is nothing in top 10 I would want to buy
The media scribblers all spout the same line that Mazda wants to go upmarket, presumably with the intent of increasing profits per sale. I think Ford went that way too, didnt they?

All well and good until the tapped out buyers stop buying. And the 3 mainly sold to private buyers, too. So no fleet purchases backstopping sales.

Much as i like the pending cx30, sales may be weak because it will appeal to private buyers, who have too much debt to service as it is, the current housing dead cat bounce not withstanding.

BA RTV.
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 08:08 AM   #32
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

[QUOTE=jpd80;6348251]

GM and Ford really don’t give a crap about our tiny RHD market. They only want buyers who are prepared to pay say, $8K more for an Ecosport than a Picanto Sport,,,, nothing underscores the disconnect from our market more than that, it’s bloody insane.

/QUOTE]

This is exactly right, this mentality plus the head in the sand mentality that Ford adopts to issues are the issue, sure you want to start acting like a upmarket supplier with perceived upmarket models, then behave the same when it comes to customer service and product support.. Comments on Fords Facebook page show this when people reference issues they have had, Fords only reply is to comment "feel free to contact customer support so we can help resolve your issues" , that line is even funnier when the complaint relates to lack of replies from ford customer support
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
prydey
Rob

People want to talk about reality. The reality is Australia is a small island in the middle of the Pacific and we are right hand drive which is a the lesser of the two options by some way.

Ford, and no doubt GM would rather not sell cars/vehicles here at all if they can't make a reasonable business case. Why drop prices just to keep some forum members happy? If they are sending a shipment of cars here, and they all sell, then good for them. What they sell for and whether profit was made is just speculation unless you are in Ford management and have the figures.

With the end of local production many predicted Ford would slide out of the top 10. 3 years on and they are always around 5th, give or take.

Will it impact dealerships and jobs? Possibly, but that's life. That's the harsh reality.

Ask the question, why don't Ford drop the prices even though sales figures don't make good reading for those who like to over analyse vfacts every month. Ford wanting to appear 'premium' is a smokescreen. In my view, if they could sell for less and still be worth bringing the vehicles here, they would. The way I see it, lower pricing wouldn't guarantee an increase in sales. If you drop pricing and it fails to impact sales then it's very difficult to put the prices back up. Easier to set your own price and sell whatever you sell. Just my view. I work in a dying industry and many rival businesses dropped their pricing over the last decade to get the work in the doors. Most of them no longer exist. Dropping prices to increase volume doesn't always work.

The Australian auto market is one of the most saturated in the world.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The price rise on the Focus is interesting, when I bought mine it was a mid spec w/turbo diesel engine and it was $26K DA

Now it's $30K + delivery for povvo spec? That's a big price rise.

Sounds like Ford is trying to chase VW in pricing - VW pricing but Ford quality?
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The way I see it Ford is doing to its range what it did with Falcon and Territory, conveniently sabotaging it so that when they are no longer viable they can point the finger at the consumer and say, your fault, you didn't buy our product.

They'll still flog off Ranger's here because certain Aussie's will pay overs but even it has been heavily discounted in recent times to keep the numbers up.

I've got no doubt all the cars listed by JPD on the previous page are worth the asking price, but no one will buy them because its not a product or pricing issue, its a brand image problem brought about by treating this little island market with contempt for too long.

Take a look at the thread on what new Fords have been test driven, 6 weeks in and its not even made 2 pages and the majority of the replies are of people uninterested.
If they cant inspire the people on the biggest Ford forum in the market to go and look, what chance are they with the general populace.

Oh, and JPD, I wasn't looking at you when I wrote my previous post as its obvious you are just as disenchanted with their 'business model' as many others.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-10-2019, 11:16 AM   #36
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I do agree but Ford would have more development in their vehicles. Mitsubishis are quite simple cars.

You could say the same about Toyota in the price department. People keep buying them though.
If you look at the new Triton it's actually got plenty of features. Well priced. Good warranty. Good dealer network.

Considering these are fleet cars it would probably be a good buy.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:42 AM   #37
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
People want to talk about reality. The reality is Australia is a small island in the middle of the Pacific and we are right hand drive which is a the lesser of the two options by some way.

The Australian auto market is one of the most saturated in the world.

Exactly....
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 01:09 PM   #38
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
The way I see it Ford is doing to its range what it did with Falcon and Territory, conveniently sabotaging it so that when they are no longer viable they can point the finger at the consumer and say, your fault, you didn't buy our product.

They'll still flog off Ranger's here because certain Aussie's will pay overs but even it has been heavily discounted in recent times to keep the numbers up.

I've got no doubt all the cars listed by JPD on the previous page are worth the asking price, but no one will buy them because its not a product or pricing issue, its a brand image problem brought about by treating this little island market with contempt for too long.

Take a look at the thread on what new Fords have been test driven, 6 weeks in and its not even made 2 pages and the majority of the replies are of people uninterested.
If they cant inspire the people on the biggest Ford forum in the market to go and look, what chance are they with the general populace.

Oh, and JPD, I wasn't looking at you when I wrote my previous post as its obvious you are just as disenchanted with their 'business model' as many others.
All good mate, I realise that the vehicle on offer may not be worth the coin but yes, I think the vehicles are ebbing away because of lack of interest.

If Ford is not going to engage the market with products that sell in any decent numbers then it needs to look at niche buyers, the market is cooling in the US and it might be an opportunity to add products once considered off limits.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2019, 02:12 PM   #39
Hawkeye84

Don't be fooled by Mitsubishi numbers.
In September they put through 1500+ company cars.
I've also been told by dealers they were offloading ASXs to dealers for ridiculous prices ($5000 a car).
They are bleeding and stock is piling up from the docks.

General market is down roughly 8% YTD and Kia only 1 of 2 in the top 10 with positive growth at 2% (other one is Mitsubishi @ 0.1% +) - making it 56 months of consecutive growth for Kia. Not many automotive brands have achieved that. Stars are aligning for them and ot her brands are now watching them closely
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:00 PM   #40
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:

Why would there be much interest here though? This was pretty much a Falcon/Territory forum. Mainly Falcon. Now its gone the enthusiasts here aren't suddenly going to be interested in 4wds or smaller cars unless they already were before. Some have converted over to Mustang but Ford probably has a better chance of attracting the general public than the remaining members on this forum.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:15 PM   #41
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
If you look at the new Triton it's actually got plenty of features. Well priced. Good warranty. Good dealer network.

Considering these are fleet cars it would probably be a good buy.
My old man has one of the new triton GLS's, traded his PK Ranger in on it... Liked the new Ranger's but the extra $15k to get into an XLT just wasn't worth it...

Mitsi aren't trying to be the best, or most upmarket but the cars are robust and good value so they sell. Plus it seems every second Uber/Ride Share car around is a Bloody outlander... Add fleet and rental sales to that and there you go...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2019, 08:22 PM   #42
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
My old man has one of the new triton GLS's, traded his PK Ranger in on it... Liked the new Ranger's but the extra $15k to get into an XLT just wasn't worth it...

Mitsi aren't trying to be the best, or most upmarket but the cars are robust and good value so they sell. Plus it seems every second Uber/Ride Share car around is a Bloody outlander... Add fleet and rental sales to that and there you go...
They're pretty good value. Current ranger platform is long in the tooth (features wise). So the new one will be interesting to see how it performs here.

Pretty sure ranger is going gangbusters globally so it would cause more headaches to the dealers for a sales drop. Like what we're seeing with Holden's demise currently.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:56 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
Why would there be much interest here though? This was pretty much a Falcon/Territory forum. Mainly Falcon. Now its gone the enthusiasts here aren't suddenly going to be interested in 4wds or smaller cars unless they already were before. Some have converted over to Mustang but Ford probably has a better chance of attracting the general public than the remaining members on this forum.
Yeah, im not so sure, obviously there was always a strong emphasis on the local product but things like Endura were meant to entice the people who bought Territory and there have been plenty of Fiesta/Focus/Mondeo owners over the years pass through too.
I guess the point is, if they cant get the brand loyalists through the doors, what real chance do they have of getting Joe public who knows them as that company that burned its customers with dodgy transmissions etc. etc.

The facts speak for themselves, whilst some will suggest Ford are content losing market share for profit margins, they didn't bring Focus and Endura here for ****s and giggles so every unit additional unit sold would be welcomed if at the higher profit margin we're led to believe but they aren't they're dwindling.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #44
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Don't be fooled by Mitsubishi numbers.
In September they put through 1500+ company cars.
I've also been told by dealers they were offloading ASXs to dealers for ridiculous prices ($5000 a car).
They are bleeding and stock is piling up from the docks.

General market is down roughly 8% YTD and Kia only 1 of 2 in the top 10 with positive growth at 2% (other one is Mitsubishi @ 0.1% +) - making it 56 months of consecutive growth for Kia. Not many automotive brands have achieved that. Stars are aligning for them and ot her brands are now watching them closely
$5k per car?? Would that even be possible?

You hear all the time that there is no profit in sales - it's the aftersales stuff that gets the money in, I can't see how a company can survive selling cars to dealers for $5k to be honest.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2019, 11:59 AM   #45
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
GM and Ford really don’t give a crap about our tiny RHD market.
Tell me again why we're sticking with RHD? i'll bet UK will be LHD before we even start considering change. We complain about US sticking with imperial measuring systems, but we're sticklers too, for RHD.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM   #46
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
Tell me again why we're sticking with RHD? i'll bet UK will be LHD before we even start considering change. We complain about US sticking with imperial measuring systems, but we're sticklers too, for RHD.
Remember back in the 70-80-90 most of our imports (read dumping ground) came from RHD Japan.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2019, 06:04 PM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
I’ll take that bet, their road system is just too huge to make the switch, it actually defines UK as being different to most other countries. Japan being RHD is a big plus for Asia and Australia
Old 07-10-2019, 08:09 PM   #48
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would hate to think how much the switch would cost. Into the 10 figures with ease.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:06 PM   #49
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

Quote:
Pretty simple really, such a change cannot be gradual, has to happen overnight so to speak , that means every single Aussie would have to scrap their daily cars overnight and replace them with a RHD car .. Logistical nightmare, will never happen, plus imagine the political damage to demand Aussies to buy a new RHD car and spend $$$ just for the sake of change?

Re triton sales, work has begun replacing their povo pack duel cab rangers with tritons, bean counter said it came down to purchase price and that they would keep doing so just as they did when they sold off the transits for Renault vans.

Similar thing at the boys work where they have stopped buying povo pack rangers and are now buying Isuzu 's instead.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #50
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I'm not quite sure how anyone can compare changing a measurement system with the logistical nightmare of changing road sides
Old 08-10-2019, 12:01 AM   #51
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I think it was Samoa that most recently swapped over? I heard stories of busses getting a door cut into the opposite sides with an angle grinder and weeks of mayhem after swapping.

As long as they make RHD cars we will remain RHD.

Just imagine the billions it would cost to change!

Sent from my LG-M700 using Tapatalk

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:08 AM   #52
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With traffic tightening and travel speeds quite low due to strict speed enforcement. We probably hit peak need for handling improvements 10 years ago. A new car from 2009 is probably fine for what people need, hence the old Mitsubishi platforms do the job are cheap and are popular.

I think with how good cars already are, manufacturers will need to start buying market share to get results. There will be a race to the bottom eventually with prices, car makers are holding out as long as they can... but buyers are drying up who want to pay big prices for cars especially with the prospect of an EV evolution one day soon.

The market is changing, cars have changed, car enthusiasts are changing and buyers will be seeking value and features. Car makers are going to struggle in positioning themselves upmarket.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 07:56 AM   #53
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I'm not quite sure how anyone can compare changing a measurement system with the logistical nightmare of changing road sides
Just spin them round 180 deg.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 09:37 AM   #54
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I’m waiting for the monthly, “if we ignore Ranger sales, then Holden leads Ford in sales”

Maybe that person has finally realised the folly of that hypothesis.

Sure, Ford relies so heavily on Ranger but wasn’t that the point of developing it here,
to be better in ways that a actual buyers recognise and pay more for what they want.
Traditionally, Hilux used to own 4x4 pick up / cab chassis but now Ranger is right there.

Last edited by jpd80; 08-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #55
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
I think it was Samoa that most recently swapped over? I heard stories of busses getting a door cut into the opposite sides with an angle grinder and weeks of mayhem after swapping.
Yes, it was Samoa. In Sep 2009.

Interesting that your reports of mayhem don't align with what was reported in the press, eg

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...ing-sides.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...rs-switch-left

Interestingly enough, Samoa changed from the right hand side to the left.

And here we are talking about moving the opposite way.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 12:43 PM   #56
stig_3754

I remember going to the Bahamas for my honeymoon. As the place is a former British Colony, the roads are made for driving on the left hand side (and that is the current law), yet most of the cars (including newer cars for sale) are left hand drive. It was kind of bizarre but everyone seems to manage.

There is no way everyone here would be able to suddenly jump into a left hand drive vehicle the day if and when a move happens. It would just mean that from a certain point, every new car on sale would be left hand drive and the number of RHD vehicles will slowly decline.

As this country is such a nanny state however, this will never happen.

Past Rides:
1997 EL Ford Fairmont 4A - Navy Blue
2006 BK Mazda 3 SP23 5A - Carbon Grey
2010 LV Ford Focus XR5 Turbo 6M - Frozen White
2013 LW Ford Focus ST 6M - Panther Black
stig_3754 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #57
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Sure, Ford relies so heavily on Ranger but wasn’t that the point of developing it here,
to be better in ways that a actual buyers recognise and pay more for what they want.
Traditionally, Hilux used to own 4x4 pick up / cab chassis but now Ranger is right there.
But they're not, whilst Ranger has traded blows with Hilux this past year better than before, its also had numerous discounting events not to mention the sticker specials, people smashed the Hilux for being heavily discounted, yet its taken a similar approach to keep Ranger 'right there' and I believe Brazens post above is spot on, people want the best they can for their dollar.

10 years ago you bought a ute because you needed a ute, today people buy utes as allrounders.
Until recently the Triton has been the ugly duckling in the dual cab market and despite its much lower price, hasn't drawn much attention, the new model has brought it into the light and people are interested as it has looks and price on its side now.

I get Fords idea of positioning itself as a premium product, but I think their timing is poor as their target audience is looking for bargains.
Whilst I doubt the Ranger will ever fall far on the ladder, the reluctance of consumers to buy the rest of Fords range will see it as a brand slide.
Old 08-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #58
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
$5k per car?? Would that even be possible?

You hear all the time that there is no profit in sales - it's the aftersales stuff that gets the money in, I can't see how a company can survive selling cars to dealers for $5k to be honest.
Possible i guess if you got a boatload of them coming and targets that youve promised.

They would have thrown all of their sales incentives to this model to offload them at that price...

But thats what ive heard on the grapevine
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2019, 02:40 PM   #59
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
But they're not, whilst Ranger has traded blows with Hilux this past year better than before, its also had numerous discounting events not to mention the sticker specials, people smashed the Hilux for being heavily discounted, yet its taken a similar approach to keep Ranger 'right there' and I believe Brazens post above is spot on, people want the best they can for their dollar.

10 years ago you bought a ute because you needed a ute, today people buy utes as allrounders.
Until recently the Triton has been the ugly duckling in the dual cab market and despite its much lower price, hasn't drawn much attention, the new model has brought it into the light and people are interested as it has looks and price on its side now.

I get Fords idea of positioning itself as a premium product, but I think their timing is poor as their target audience is looking for bargains.
Whilst I doubt the Ranger will ever fall far on the ladder, the reluctance of consumers to buy the rest of Fords range will see it as a brand slide.
We’ve been down the discount road before and shown that most of the so called discounts are on vehicles that Ford is trying to get rid of like manuals and 2WD Crew cabs price leaders. When you see RRP $64k for XLT4x4 crew cabs, you know wow, there’s a ton of room for discounts- triton is &34,990 at the moment. Know one thing about Ford discounts, they’re usually on loaded product to begin with, so only a bargain to devoted Ranger buyers.

I don’t think Ranger has been as heavily discounted as you think and that’s why the sales are still strong, it’s not like they’re thousands less than comparable Hilux, I think you’ll find Ranger is still more expensive. Again, there’s no guarantee that dropping prices would increase sales enough to make up for the profit Ford would be giving up but, I’d sure like them to try, even just to let Toyota know they still there
Old 08-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #60
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
We’ve been down the discount road before and shown that most of the so called discounts are on vehicles that Ford is trying to get rid of like manuals and 2WD Crew cabs price leaders.
Many of those discounts may be units they're trying to get rid of, but the sales still count towards the monthly figures which is my point, without those discounted examples, the overall figures wouldn't be as great.

That $64k is for the Bi Turbo, the 3.2l XLT is $61krrp and discounted to $56k d.a. the Sport is sub $50k and virtually an XLT in all but name.
So you can get a Ranger sport which looks arguably better than the XLT for $11k under the XLT's rrp, that's a fair incentive to buy i'd say.

Last edited by BENT_8; 08-10-2019 at 03:54 PM.