Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-07-2016, 09:28 PM   #31
boss351290
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Last Falcon Ute Built today

The falcon is a great car, but too many things changed all at once that all went against the falcon and commodore as well to a lesser degree.
boss351290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 10:11 PM   #32
jgmdat

Very sad. Have had every model ute since 1990, currently have a GS. No idea what to get next.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2016, 11:59 PM   #33
sr71

Hmm. It seems strange to be feeling sad about this. Im a Ute guy, so today was, in my eyes, Ford Australia's last day.
Best wishes to the Ford employees, with Gratitude and Respect.
Thank you for a Ute with Soul.

My Dream Garage is a Supercar, and a collection of Ford Utes.
When I die, my Casket will be in a Ford Falcon Ute!
sr71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 08:16 AM   #34
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: last Falcon ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
Yes, I'm sure there are no annoyed or cut employees working in the plant thinking hell I better not take pics for fear of loosing my job
Getting the sack at the last minute would mean no redundancy payout, so not the smartest move if that was their thinking.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 10:24 AM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
Getting the sack at the last minute would mean no redundancy payout, so not the smartest move if that was their thinking.
Doesn't seem to bother these workers. At least two taking pictures.

http://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/0...69b6dc965268ca
Old 30-07-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Doesn't seem to bother these workers. At least two taking pictures.
I agree.

With production closing down forever and a product that is already in the public domain why on earth would you sack anyone for taking a photo.

In fact if I was the production manager I’d want my staff to go out on as happy a note as possible given the sad circumstances.

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #37
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day , Great topic.. As each day passes and that obscure date to the unknowing or uncaring of October 7th approaches the actual reality of what we are REALLY losing starts to hit home for me. We will be at the total mercy of overseas manufacturers with not much in the way of Australian -isation...I read once about the original Ford Falcon that came here set up for U.S. conditions and it took Aussie ingenuity and upgrading to make it the legend it finished up. America wiped it like a dirty bum in 1970 and it took us to make it that legendary Aussie car..Some on AFF say we have always been beholding to Ford US and Canada , maybe we have but we may also have been decent contributors to the Ford worldwide in lots of ways..No point banging on about it cos' it's preaching to the already converted but the Ute will be missed just as much as the sedan , station wagon and the panel van.. Falcon at one time had ..Sedan , coupe , station wagon , panel van and the mighty ute..Not too many other platforms could boast that fact..Now , that's Australian innovation if ever there was..RIP the Ute and soon the car..
REALLY SAD ALL ROUND FOR ALL OF US...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 11:52 AM   #38
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

There'll never be anything else like it again:

2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #39
axe

Oldie but a goodie.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/110272/2...rgring/photos/

I bet people would be queuing up if BMW actually did it because it's European so it must be good unlike the rubbish we manufacture in Australia.

XF Ute, ED XR6 sedan, AUII sedan, BF XR6 sedan, FG XR6T sedan

Now

Ford FGX XR6 Sprint, FG MkII XT EcoLPI
axe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 03:22 PM   #40
78xcgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by axe View Post
Oldie but a goodie.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/110272/2...rgring/photos/

I bet people would be queuing up if BMW actually did it because it's European so it must be good unlike the rubbish we manufacture in Australia.
LOL it's simply rubbish. Utes that are not of cab chassis design are just useless toys. Best thing ford ever did was go to a Cab chassis design in the AU model or else the Ute would of been dead 10 years ago.

Love my FG Mk2 Turbo Ute it is the best car i have ever owned and never see my self getting rid of it. I am in the process of removing the tub and installing a tray and canopy setup
78xcgxl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #41
menil
fg pursuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day , Great topic.. As each day passes and that obscure date to the unknowing or uncaring of October 7th approaches the actual reality of what we are REALLY losing starts to hit home for me. We will be at the total mercy of overseas manufacturers with not much in the way of Australian -isation...I read once about the original Ford Falcon that came here set up for U.S. conditions and it took Aussie ingenuity and upgrading to make it the legend it finished up. America wiped it like a dirty bum in 1970 and it took us to make it that legendary Aussie car..Some on AFF say we have always been beholding to Ford US and Canada , maybe we have but we may also have been decent contributors to the Ford worldwide in lots of ways..No point banging on about it cos' it's preaching to the already converted but the Ute will be missed just as much as the sedan , station wagon and the panel van.. Falcon at one time had ..Sedan , coupe , station wagon , panel van and the mighty ute..Not too many other platforms could boast that fact..Now , that's Australian innovation if ever there was..RIP the Ute and soon the car..
REALLY SAD ALL ROUND FOR ALL OF US...Cheers Rod..
And the Fairlane.
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 05:20 PM   #42
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another

http://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news...dmeadows-44155
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 06:23 PM   #43
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I took the ute out today for the first time in two months (a rare dry day). I swear this news is striking a chord...especially with those of earlier generations when the Falcon ute was a staple. She normally gets the odd look but today I swear every head with a hint of grey had a quick crank, and plenty of nice Falcon utes out too in Gawlers main drag (which seems to be a cruise strip these days personally I was just picking up KFC as you do). Thought I had a naked chick in the tray or something. It's weird this first initiation into a world without the Aussie Falcon. I gave her a polish before we went out and can't wrap my mind around she's the last new Falcon I'll have in my drive.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2016, 07:02 PM   #44
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil View Post
And the Fairlane.
G'day , Yes indeed the Fairlane , the LTD , the model variants of the base model Falcon too . Futura , Fairmont , Fairmont Ghia...The Fairlane was a beauty. Never owned one but have seen and travelled in a few ..Another Falcon model was the Landau..she was a really different variant..Cheers Rod..
Old 30-07-2016, 08:08 PM   #45
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all.....If this doesn't get to you I'd be shocked . See what you think of this .This has happened in many of our lifetimes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-q45n19XLM Most if not all of those workers would be gone now and I wonder what they would have thought if they knew that their kids would see the end of this big industry within their lifetime..Great little film on how it was when Falcon was born.. Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 30-07-2016 at 08:18 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #46
9triton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: A valued contributor to those hard to answer questions regarding classic falcons. A wealth of knowledge. 

my dec 1961 XK ute :

55 years this Dec

9triton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2016, 07:13 AM   #47
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss351290 View Post
I have had a few falcon utes and now own a xr6 turbo fgx ute. Bloody fantastic car. The reason things started to head south fast from 2005 are fuel prices and the release of the ve commodore a year later. In2005 fuel was about 95c a litre for unleaded. By 2008 it hit $1.70 a litre. That is why the falcon died and the fact cars like the Kia rio and others could be bought for $13990 with five year warranty. Cheap small cars and expensive fuel killed the falcon. Sorry also salary sacfricing (leasing) killed the falcon as well. Before this time fleet managers would buy thousands of falcons and give them to workers as company cars. When tax laws changed workers could buy whatever car they wanted and claimed that through their work tax situations. The individual worker could now buy what ever car they wanted through there own salary sacrificing. These are the real reasons the falcon died.
A few "fact" corrections needed here,(& have to disagree on a few points.) One word "Button" remember him? Yes, John Button.Senior Gov't Minister in the Hawke,Keating Ministry. Minister for industry & Commerce."Father" of the "Button Plan".he was responsible with reorganising the Australian Motor industry in attempt to make it competitive without tariff protection.One part of the plan was(& a lot of people will recall this.)"badge" sharing between manufacturers,not popular with buying public at all.It all caused large job losses through the the industry.The "flood gate's" where open for cheap imports EG: Hyundai excel $9,990.This plan really was the "deathnell" for local manufacturing.Fuel was not really a big factor.People had choice.(& quite frankly I think it has been good for the Aus buying public as a whole.)otherwise we would have still being served up sub-standard vehicles.(because there was nobody to compete with the "big two".Lift your game" or die!Rest is history.I am certainly not shedding tears over these companies.We now have fantastic choice in what we buy.And yes it will be sad, but we will all get use to it.Sun is still going to rise tomorrow"Rant Over" Cheers:
Old 31-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #48
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day..Pie in the sky time now..I wonder what would have happened if some company had made an offer to buy out Ford Australia something akin to what happened to many other car companies over time and what nearly happened with GMH . Would Ford U.S. have even considered it as the parent company ? Nup..because they even ate up their own like Mercury that built cars like the Cougar until the early noughties. In reality and due to my education through AFF our Falcon had reached it's practical 'use by' date. The platform would not have not been able to go much further without huge re development. Money nobody was prepared to spend for at best scenario a lowish sales market. The really sad thing for me is that Ford Australia will now only be a distant cousin in the Ford global family..Volume or fleet sales unlikely given the much cheaper imports from other companies so those who stay loyal to the Blue Oval will get what they get or have to wait months for a particular vehicle they want on order. As rightly stated in this thread..We'll get used to it and the next generation will not be impacted in the same way..Just how it is I suppose.For me I'll enjoy driving my FG and AU until time or circumstances change and by then maybe Ford will have a car that suits my needs . Who knows ? .Cheers Rod..
Old 31-07-2016, 07:40 PM   #49
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vxc View Post
So sad to see that picture with all the workers standing around the last Falcon Utes. They all look so proud of what they are doing and you can see the joy on there faces from doing a job they love. Can't believe that we are losing this industry from Australia which will be gone forever. I suppose we are fortunate to get as long as we did and that Ford built the performance cars it did. When you look at some countries they never got anything like we did even with lots bigger volumes. Aussies have always had a way with pushing the boundaries while using little amounts of money. I don't think Ford USA would have really wanted them to build the cars they did but the passion from within the team and there ability to build these performance cars on a limited budget was why they got away with it for as long as they did. We will be forever grateful
Old 31-07-2016, 08:01 PM   #50
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had a quick look on carsales.com and there appears to be a handful of 2016-build XR6 Turbo utes in stock at dealers around the country. Anyone know if this is the case or are they just bait ads? So damn tempting to grab one even though it wouldn't be a very responsible action right now in my own case financially speaking...
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #51
XEXXR8
Starter Motor

Sold my FG MKII XR6T ute in may thinking I could walk in an order a new one with 4 months till production was supposed to end. Was told no more orders were being taken(wouldn't of sold it if I knew) and after ringing nearly every ford dealer in Victoria managed to get a dealer ordered XR6T in auto, had to settle for no lux pack but just happy to source one in this last batch made which was to be July build for August delivery. Got a call from my dealer at 4:00 pm on friday saying ute was built and to be delivered to them early this week . May be a coincidence but the pictures of the last ute coming down the line came out around 3:00 pm on friday and in the picture with the paperwork stuck to the top of the bonnet the first 4 letters of my surname are on the second bottom row on the right. Anyone know what the codes mean on that sheet ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg falcon-ute-final-2016.jpg (129.2 KB, 49 views)
XEXXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2016, 11:02 AM   #52
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by XEXXR8 View Post
Sold my FG MKII XR6T ute in may thinking I could walk in an order a new one with 4 months till production was supposed to end. Was told no more orders were being taken(wouldn't of sold it if I knew) and after ringing nearly every ford dealer in Victoria managed to get a dealer ordered XR6T in auto, had to settle for no lux pack but just happy to source one in this last batch made which was to be July build for August delivery. Got a call from my dealer at 4:00 pm on friday saying ute was built and to be delivered to them early this week . May be a coincidence but the pictures of the last ute coming down the line came out around 3:00 pm on friday and in the picture with the paperwork stuck to the top of the bonnet the first 4 letters of my surname are on the second bottom row on the right. Anyone know what the codes mean on that sheet ?

Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 11:27 AM   #53
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
don't think thats your ute unless they forgot to put the turbo on
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #54
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Got a call from my dealer at 4:00 pm on friday saying ute was built and to be delivered to them early this week . May be a coincidence but the pictures of the last ute coming down the line came out around 3:00 pm on friday and in the picture with the paperwork stuck to the top of the bonnet the first 4 letters of my surname are on the second bottom row on the right.
If it is yours it's awfully decent of you to donate it to Fords Historical Fleet

From the article.........
Ford Australia’s communications and public affairs director Wes Sherwood said today that the last ute would not be sold or auctioned off for charity.

“It will be held in our historical vehicle fleet, along with the final Falcon and final Territory, both of which will be built on October 7,” he said.
Old 01-08-2016, 02:18 PM   #55
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

It's moments like this that really make you realise what we once took for granted is now gone for good. It's sad.
Sadder thing is that even this will soon be forgotten, the feelings will go away and life will continue.
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-08-2016, 03:49 PM   #56
TS50AU
Red ones go faster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepscobra View Post
It's moments like this that really make you realise what we once took for granted is now gone for good. It's sad.
Sadder thing is that even this will soon be forgotten, the feelings will go away and life will continue.
Getting all emotional now Joe...
TS50AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 01:22 PM   #57
4vxc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day all.....If this doesn't get to you I'd be shocked . See what you think of this .This has happened in many of our lifetimes.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-q45n19XLM Most if not all of those workers would be gone now and I wonder what they would have thought if they knew that their kids would see the end of this big industry within their lifetime..Great little film on how it was when Falcon was born.. Cheers Rod..
that wasn't bad, would be good to watch another from 30 years or so latter
4vxc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:09 PM   #58
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will be very emotional putting the last one together for all the workers involved. End of an era.
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2016, 06:52 PM   #59
stefcio007
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I went on two plant tours, the first one they allowed photos/videos.
Second one, not allowed anymore.

Very cool.
stefcio007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2016, 10:28 PM   #60
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last ute going down the line Wheels mag video...

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/news/160...ring-shut-down