Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Rice has been used beyond its meaning way too many times.

My knowledge of it was that the term "Rice rockets" was a synonym of "Jap crap", so anyone that was a genuine muscle car fan could describe them as that. (MonoJoker was also correct)

Then It moved on to the acronym "race inspired cosmetic enhancement" Where any thing that makes a car (stock, or "not powerful enough" look fast is ‘rice’, weirdo:

Now its used for just about any thing (now just a term for distasteful mods), large wheels on a XY, I’ve seen it called 'rice'? (Even people have called the wheel options on the FG 'rice' : ) Bulge on a XR6 'rice'? Fibreglass 'rice'? :

Half the things that people pick on about cars having 'rice mods', would be like calling a custom merc 'rice'

Personally i hate the term because it’s fairly stupid, now people just use it to describe something they don’t like with out any thought of intelligent constructive criticism. Not taking into acount shifts in tends and what not.

(like neons, sif they are 'rice', they have been used in customs and Vans for over 20 years!)

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Just to keep everyone on track - there are no need for photos.
The question is what is rice? When does a 'mod'/'enhancement' go from being aesthetic to being considered rice?
The main reason I initially asked the question is the whole "race inspired cosmetic enhancement" can just as easily apply to a factory released model as mr/s public's interpretation of what a car 'should' visually look like.
So..... Is something 'rice' when it has what appears to be go-fast bits that do nothing (XR6 SV6 VRX etc) or is it more - eg when the wing on the Impreza RX has been transplanted from the STi (Which in fairness is still a representation of the model) and not the WRX - this would be the bottom end of the scale. Or when any car has parts bolted on by the owner that under normal circumstances would be added to a car that is highly modified? eg Bonnet Vents, Fake RAM Air/CAI, A 4 inch tail pipe attached to a inch and a quarter exhaust system etc etc.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Rice has been used beyond its meaning way too many times.

My knowledge of it was that the term "Rice rockets" was a synonym of "Jap crap", so anyone that was a genuine muscle car fan could describe them as that. (MonoJoker was also correct)

Then It moved on to the acronym "race inspired cosmetic enhancement" Where any thing that makes a car (stock, or "not powerful enough" look fast is ‘rice’, weirdo:
Agreed. Rice, Rice Burner.. an engine just powerful enough to burn a pot of rice.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 03:36 AM   #4
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet it has to do with the Asian influence. Though if I see a Dodge Neon with similar crap on it, that is rice too. I don't believe it originated as an acronym for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement. That sounds like someone decided it had to stand for something and came up with that. I had come across that one before, I just don't believe it.
So my call is Asian influence and possibly referring to how a rice cooker uses pressure - an Asian performance car is usually a turbo. Relying heavily on the pressurized intake.

I just read the origin is from a nickname the Canadians gave the Koreans during the Korean War, was Rice Burners. Then the term was used to describe Asian cars and motorcycles which are done up to look like they go fast but really do not.
www.wapedia.mobi/en/Rice_burner

Last edited by chevypower; 01-10-2009 at 03:44 AM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 08:08 AM   #5
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

pics of more modern rice..

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab

Last edited by Bundy; 01-10-2009 at 08:13 AM.
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
halo

i dont know why there is so much discussion about this, it is so simple.

i was watching a high octane dvd my brother bought today.

quarter mile race, a late 90s honda civic coupe. bright orange, racer style rims, giant wing, tinted windows, fat cannon, full body kit. I looked at it, i literally said "what a piece of rice". It then went nuts and run a 12s quarter. No longer did I consider it rice.

It goes to show.. Rice is the modification of all thgings that would suggest performance without any actual modificatiopn in performace. Had that civic a shitty 1.6 normal engine and go like any other civic, yep that is rice to the . This one no.

The exact opposite of rice, my mate has an early 90s civic, complete with faded paint, dents etc. He stripped the interior and went a b18c engine and box.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 08:58 PM   #7
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Yes I know its a mine, but spotted this today and was wondering if it is rice??

Old 30-09-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
ThePistonHead
Shame Holden, Shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Yes.

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 5 characters.

EFII "XR8" Fairmont V8 185KW ELII XR8 engine, box & exhaust|Dual Fuel|Tints|FTR's|Factory bodykit |K&N panel filter|Interior LED Conversion|Leather steering wheel|Slotted rotors|Ghia wood + chrome|Subwoofer|

METALLICA
ThePistonHead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:58 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt

Thats the definition of rice.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 09:44 PM   #10
Glow_Mouse
Starter Motor

Ricers. Useless wings are for penguins. *sigh, Australia's full of jap haters. It's alright.

My definition of ricer, not only for mods that do nothing for the vehicle, unruly fart can exhausts, but the sheer fact that, when it comes down to pin-pointing a ricer, It's that his/her car isnt packing the power the car portays or vice versa. In the end as many have already put it, yea in the end rice or rice burner.

i dont need to own a v8 to get respect. V8's a common and extreme fuel users. i'll stick to my 4banger and trick it out the way i like it. If you're happy the way your car looks and performs, that's all that matters, Especially if you know the ins and outs of street/race modification. Including every upgrade there is for engine and electrical.
Glow_Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #11
irish2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glow_Mouse
Ricers. Useless wings are for penguins. *sigh, Australia's full of jap haters. It's alright.

My definition of ricer, not only for mods that do nothing for the vehicle, unruly fart can exhausts, but the sheer fact that, when it comes down to pin-pointing a ricer, It's that his/her car isnt packing the power the car portays or vice versa. In the end as many have already put it, yea in the end rice or rice burner.

i dont need to own a v8 to get respect. V8's a common and extreme fuel users. i'll stick to my 4banger and trick it out the way i like it. If you're happy the way your car looks and performs, that's all that matters, Especially if you know the ins and outs of street/race modification. Including every upgrade there is for engine and electrical.
If you knew the ins and outs of street/race modification you would also know that a V8 does not have to be an extreme fuel user and is far less common than a 4 banger.
irish2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #12
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

I'm sorry, but that VE isn't rice. That looks tough and menancing.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #13
BOSHOG
avenge me

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6_661
I'm sorry, but that VE isn't rice. That looks tough and menancing.
excuse me?

that is without a doubt the ugliest car ever designed, in saying that its perfectly designed for holden drivers a.k.a. bogans.
BOSHOG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:26 AM   #14
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSHOG
excuse me?

that is without a doubt the ugliest car ever designed, in saying that its perfectly designed for holden drivers a.k.a. bogans.
You're excused.

I didn't like it at first, but seeing pictures of the actual car makes my willy tingle.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #15
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 10:50 AM   #16
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

There is a subtle difference between "Rice", "Ricer", and "Rice Burner".

"Rice" is the actual Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements, like the massive VIPER SRT10 sticker I saw on a Dodge Neon the other day.

"Ricer" is used to describe either the above mentioned Neon itself, or the driver of it.

"Rice Burner" is used by the Muscle crowd to describe usually Japanese cars that are quick cars with small engines i.e. a 10sec 1/4 240SX.

The term Rice Burner came around because of the primarily Japanese origin of the cars. It's a joke, implying that the cars can run on rice because of the amount of actual rice consumed in the country of origin.

"Rice Burner", unlike the other terms I have mentioned, is not necessarily a derogatory term. It would be like someone with a Skyline calling a 800hp '69 Camaro a "Gas Guzzler". They still have respect for the muscle car and the driver's taste, even if it is not to their own tastes.

"Rice" and "Ricer" are derogatory terms, and are used to describe the PT Cruiser I saw yesterday with twin fart cannons out the back and side exhausts on each side. Lowered with an eBay bodykit, massive chrome wheels and a big spoiler.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #17
Fled74
The Thread Killa

I always thought that "rice rockets" referred to fast Japanese cars in the same way that "pasta rockets" referred to fast Italian cars.

"Rice boys" on the other hand are the guys whose cars are "all show and no go", or maybe guys who put higher-spec badges on their lower-spec car, like the guy with an FPV badge on his Focus or the guy who puts a "turbo" badge on a Ferrari that doesn't have a turbo, or the retard who put ST stickers all over a base-model Fiesta (oh, wait, that was me).

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
burnz
VFII SS UTE

that vt commo, where's the owner so i can punch him.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
kircher

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
that vt commo, where's the owner so i can punch him.
Hahaha I agree.

With some vehicles, describing its owners taste as bad/appalling/disgusting/laughable is not subjective at all. For example: an automatic Hyundai Excel, super cheap auto fart cannon muffler, 2 spoke blade style cheap chrome wheels, cheap body-kit with miss-matched paint and poor fit/finish that rattles and vibrates as if it's going to fall off, pink playboy seat covers and 10 000 RPM tacho with shift light does look like crap. There's no argument to the contrary. It looks like crap and will always look like crap. The chrome and the casting on the wheels is bad, the bodykit is cheap and nasty, the tacho is pointless, and the exhaust sounds horrible (especially since it's an auto). It can be described as Rice.

However, another example: Peugeot 205 GTi, modified with slightly stiffer lower suspension and good shocks, lightweight BBS wheels, good rubber, and a complete performance exhaust system and induction, is not Rice. Not just because it's a euro, but because it's subtle, done properly and with quality parts.

Whether or not you like either of the vehicles in the examples is irrelevant, because one is obviously done badly, the other is done tastefully. Rice is rice. End of story. I personally don't like the word rice though when describing this, because there are facets of Japanese car culture which are done tastefully, not to my personal taste, but tasteful nonetheless.
kircher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 02:18 PM   #20
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Wow, the RICE thread. A few responses on here to some very old posts.

Anyway...since we're doing this....

RICE is subjective. There is no definition. End of story. Every post above reflects that.

PS that VE looks more like Optimus Prime than Optimus Prime does.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #21
onfire
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Those driving ' rice burners ' call it ' J-Style '.

onfire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post